Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.

Go down 
+5
Birdofthad
acccardinal12
GDPofDRC
OU
Wolfgangsta
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.  Empty
PostSubject: Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.    Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.  EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 7:22 pm

It's kind of mind blowing really.

Modern birds are absolutely 100% dinosaurs. In fact, Crocodiles are closer related to birds than they are other reptiles, and strictly cladistically speaking, birds should and by many have been reclassified as reptiles. Birds are simply the only surviving type of dinosaurs and are a clade in the theropod family, like T-Rex and Raptors. Before modern science, animals were easy to classify based on outward similarity and morphology. Reptiles were cold blooded scaley animals. Birds represented an entirely different family and were more mammal like. With the advent of cladistics, anmals are now defined by what they're related to and what they evolved from. In light of this, birds simply represent a clade of dinosaurs, the only type to survive the cretacious-tertiary extinction event.

Velociraptor(yes I know the species they actually used was Deinonychus but that makes no difference, also feathered) for instance from Jurassic Park was actually completely covered with fully developed feathers in reality. Even the largest species of raptors were totally feathered and some smaller species arms/wings were suitable for unpowered and even powered flight.

Baby T-rex's were likely covered in downey like feathers also until they got larger. The anscestors of large theropod predators like T-rex were completely feathered and T-rex secondarily evolved scales in their adult form to be able to release heat, similarly to mostly hairless large animals today like elephants, rhinos ect which are hairless for this same reason.

One striking theory is that dinosaurs such as raptors and their relatives actually evolved from birds. The theory states that those dinosaurs were secondarily flightless, and evolved from small birds already capable of powered flight, and that they re-evolved flightlessness along with their size like a modern emu or ostrich.

Here is a modern rendering of what a true Velociraptor might have looked like ;
Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.  757px-velociraptor_dinoguy2

Here is the species the movie Jurassic Park really used when it said "velociraptor" and what it really would have looked like.

Deinonychus ;

Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.  Deinonychus_BW

This is a picture of the first true "bird", but that is becoming harder and harder to define as the relationship between "non avian" theropod dinosaurs and avian theropod dinosours(birds) gets more known. Archeopteryx from 150 million years ago.

Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.  34-27-Archaeopteryx-L

Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.    Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.  EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 7:29 pm

Yeah I heard birds where dinosaurs back in elementary school. What year did God first create them?
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.    Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.  EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 7:36 pm

This theory really didn't become accepted by all of science until the late 90s or early 2000s that birds actually were dinosaurs, how old are you?

Actually for a long time it was birds evolved from dinosaurs, but birds were separate, in common knowledge.

Most still don't know this. I know in gradeschool I was taught birds were different from dinos. Im 26.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.    Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.  EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 7:40 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
This theory really didn't become accepted by all of science until the late 90s or early 2000s that birds actually were dinosaurs, how old are you?

Actually for a long time it was birds evolved from dinosaurs, but birds were separate, in common knowledge.

Most still don't know this. I know in gradeschool I was taught birds were different from dinos. Im 26.

I'm 14 and a half.

You sure about that date there buddy? Why don't you pin point it for me. I bet it was already well out there by 95.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.    Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.  EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 7:56 pm

Bakker told me about that some years back.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.    Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.  EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 7:58 pm

Dinosaurs went extinct millions of years ago. All the important ones that we call dinosaurs anyways.

Hey Wolf did you know that scientists are now saying tornados involve wind? I heard it the other day and was gonna tell all of you guys, but I wanted to throw it out there with other groundbreaking news such as this.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.    Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.  EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 7:59 pm

The theory has been out there since the 60s but the evidence wasn't there till the 90s, and it takes a while for that stuff to filter down to 8 year olds and their educators.

Take JP for example, that movie was cutting edge at the time in 93, 94 or whatever and said dinos evolved into birds, but never said dinosaurs didn't go exinct because they 'were' bird. No feathers on raptors either.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.    Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.  EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 8:00 pm

Bakker? Didn't he argue that a bunch of diseases killed dinosaurs and question Alan Grant's theory?
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.    Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.  EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 8:03 pm

he said they were warmblooded and evolved into birds in most continents. And Alan Grant was the worst excavator I ever hired. Nothing but bitching.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.    Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.  EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 8:05 pm

That's not of the realm of possibility you heard that in grade school in the 90s at all but it caught me off guard, for instance my 8 year old doesn't know much about dinos and if I ask him about this he'll probably tell me dinos are extinct and not birds.

You must have had a smart teacher or a good, very modern cirriculum. Also what year did you graduate?
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.    Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.  EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 8:06 pm

Forgive this question but you are talking about the author that kid cited when he was talking to Grant in the first JP right before they find a sick tric and dig in it's poopy right?

Or a real Bakker?
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.    Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.  EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 8:19 pm

who the hell would think Dino's were exxtinct I take my pet T-Rex for walks everyday
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.    Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.  EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 8:22 pm

Birdofthad wrote:
who the hell would think Dino's were exxtinct I take my pet T-Rex for walks everyday

Keep that attitude up and she won't want to be with you long Bird. I am sure she takes you for those long walks anyhow. Telldatroof?
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.    Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.  EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 8:25 pm

hahaha I ride my Teradactyle to the studio as well
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.    Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.  EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 8:33 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
That's not of the realm of possibility you heard that in grade school in the 90s at all but it caught me off guard, for instance my 8 year old doesn't know much about dinos and if I ask him about this he'll probably tell me dinos are extinct and not birds.

You must have had a smart teacher or a good, very modern cirriculum. Also what year did you graduate?

I'm just saying I remember hearing about it somewhere between 4-6 grade, somewhere in that range. How long has that "theory" been around? You trippin Wolf, that "theory" has been around for a min.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.    Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.  EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 8:42 pm

Quote :
The theory has been out there since the 60s but the evidence wasn't there till the 90s, and it takes a while for that stuff to filter down to 8 year olds and their educators.

Take JP for example, that movie was cutting edge at the time in 93, 94 or whatever and said dinos evolved into birds, but never said dinosaurs didn't go exinct because they 'were' bird. No feathers on raptors either.

Must have missed this eh?

Also, Birds having evolved from now extinct dinosaurs and actually being the evententally non-extinct dinosaurs is a big jump. If my understanding is correct that wasn't universally accepted(and still isn't technically, some argue birds evolved from non-dinosaurian archasaurs but that is the full extent of my knowledge of that theory) in palentology until late 90s early 2000s, well after I was in grade school.

When I was in grade school, early 90s, the theory that birds evolved into dinos was starting to pick up steam again but was hardly universally accepted or universally taught. I got a 2002 book about dinosaurs for my kids and they still talk about the theory as unproven on the last two pages, with most of the book showing even small theropod dinos as unfeathered.

Again, how the fuck old are you?
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.    Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.  EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 8:47 pm

I don't hide my age like you, it is available every post I make. I didn't say it was "universally excepted", but neither is evolution. They taught creationism and evolution. I didn't learn it as a fact, just a theory.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.    Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.  EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 8:53 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_birds#cite_note-chambers-22

According to this, my dates are pretty accurate. An existence of a theory SOONERS and the acceptance of a theory in the scientific concensus are quite different, and the dino renassance has been a fluid process.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.    Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.  EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 8:55 pm

Oh, so it is. So you were class of 2004? That makes a lot of difference as some key discoverys were made in 94 and 96 and it takes months for that stuff to make it into Weekly Readers.

Anyway you make it sound like this is common knowledge, when I bet still 8 of 10 people don't realize birds are dinosaurs and dinos never went extinct.

Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.    Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.  EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 9:01 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Oh, so it is. So you were class of 2004? That makes a lot of difference as some key discoverys were made in 94 and 96 and it takes months for that stuff to make it into Weekly Readers.

Anyway you make it sound like this is common knowledge, when I bet still 8 of 10 people don't realize birds are dinosaurs and dinos never went extinct.

Yes I intended for it sound like I thought it was common knowledge...it was sarcasm. But yeah Weekly Readers were the shit!
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.    Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.  EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 9:07 pm

I could've swore I learned that Alligators and Birds were direct discendants of dino's when I was in 5th-6th grade.
Back to top Go down
josh200612
Silver Belt
Silver Belt
josh200612

Favorite Fighter(s) : Rashad Evans #1!,Rampage,GSP,Couture,Chael Sonnen,BJ Penn,Robbie Lawler,King MO,Frank Mir

PostSubject: Re: Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.    Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.  EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 9:08 pm

bigbeastcardinal12 wrote:
I could've swore I learned that Alligators and Birds were direct discendants of dino's when I was in 5th-6th grade.
in yo face bitch!
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.    Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.  EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 9:13 pm

I was pretty big on dinos when I was younger. Had a ton of books on them and shit. Credit to my 5th and 6th grade science teachers too, they were both young and creative teachers. Learned some cool shit back then, too bad Mary Jane killed most of those brain cells.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.    Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.  EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 9:21 pm

josh200612 wrote:
bigbeastcardinal12 wrote:
in yo face bitch!

Josh came outta nowhere with that shit, lmao. If we were all talking it would have been like him hearing a few things and jumping out yelling that out in wolf's face with his finger pointed at him.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.    Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.  EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 9:33 pm

Jokes on you mothafuckas, crocs aint no direct descendants of dinos, they evolved from archosaurs which dinos also evolved from around the same time, way back at the beginning of the dino age.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.    Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.  Empty

Back to top Go down

Did you know the Dinosaurs never went extinct? Not even a little bit.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next