Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Enemies for Life

Go down 
+2
dmar5143
4445Frank
6 posters
AuthorMessage
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Enemies for Life Empty
PostSubject: Enemies for Life   Enemies for Life EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 9:07 am

Carmen Basilio on Sugar Ray Robinson. “When he died, I didn’t give a shit. Why lie about it, like I felt sorry for the guy or something. He’s the most arrogant person you’ll ever meet.”

HBO has recently relived the Ali – Frazier rivalry from a different perspective (Frazier’s point of view.), however theirs is not the only heated competition that has left at least one combatant with a life long hatred for their opponent. While some wars have somehow mellowed into friendship or at least a mutual respect (Leonard – Duran: Zale - Graziano: Gatti - Ward ) some fighters would love to take just one more swipe at their former opponent. Maybe it’s jealousy, or a feeling of humiliation. Some fighters also feel like their legacies were stunted by certain fighters (See Marvin Hagler on Ray Leonard.). You can almost see it on their face: “If it wasn’t for that guy, I’d be known as the best that ever did it.” Regardless, nobody can deny that boxing rivalries bring out the worst in some people. What are some wars that come to mind that will probably be fought forever?

Last edited by 4445Frank on Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

Enemies for Life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Enemies for Life   Enemies for Life EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 11:15 am

basilio is one of the most honest guys i have ever met and knew...his hatred for ray stems from many things and yes ray was greedy and very arragant..especialy with carmen..thrust me as great as ray was in a street fight carmen would clobber him.basilio was that tough..but also believe outside the ring he was very kind sincere and a wonderfull family and people person...frank this was boxings longest most fierce rivalry in history...carmen is great personal friends with tony demarco and gene fullmer outside the ring..ditto was marciano -walcott and rocky and charles louis-smelling .these are some examples of what you said...also the war that will be fought forever you gave the best example..basilio-robinson...all the rest take a back seat...
Back to top Go down
Deezy0814
Green Belt
Green Belt
Deezy0814

Favorite Fighter(s) : Rampage Jackson

Enemies for Life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Enemies for Life   Enemies for Life EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 12:00 pm

Barerra vs Morales
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Enemies for Life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Enemies for Life   Enemies for Life EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 12:16 pm

dmar, when I heard Carmen say that about Robinson, I started laughing hysterically. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. It was said at the beginning of a "Ray Robinson documentary" by HBO. The more I saw of Carmen, the more I saw he was just a down to earth, decent guy. The more I hear about Ray, the more I hear about spouse abuse, greed and arrogance. Regardless, that doesn't make him less of a fighter, however I agree with your judgements on Robinson and Basilio.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ricky Burns

Enemies for Life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Enemies for Life   Enemies for Life EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 2:14 pm

I always think of Hagler and Leonard (mentioned above). When Hagler is 70 years old, someone will say the name Ray Leonard, and he will still want to beat Ray's ass.
Back to top Go down
WinstonSmith
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
WinstonSmith

Favorite Fighter(s) : Marvin Hagler,Ben Henderson,Rich Franklin,Clay Guida

Enemies for Life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Enemies for Life   Enemies for Life EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 1:35 pm

James J.Corbett Bob Fitzsimmons did not like each other.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

Enemies for Life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Enemies for Life   Enemies for Life EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 2:16 pm

maybe im wrong but i dont think Leonard likes Duran to this day all the Leonard stuff i have he says Duran was basically just a shithead and bad guy
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Enemies for Life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Enemies for Life   Enemies for Life EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 4:22 pm

Bird, when I hear Leonard talk about Duran, it's with admiration. Maybe you heard a different interview. Every time the two are near each other, they hug and exchange kind words. Leonard knew that he was an arrogant asshole and is looking to make amends with everyone. Let me re - state that. He was arrogant for his time. He, in no way, had the personality problems Floyd Mayweather seems to have.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ricky Burns

Enemies for Life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Enemies for Life   Enemies for Life EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 4:29 pm

Leonard got a little too full of himself. But at heart I don't believe he is/was a bad person.
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Enemies for Life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Enemies for Life   Enemies for Life EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 4:44 pm

captainanddew wrote:
Leonard got a little too full of himself. But at heart I don't believe he is/was a bad person.
I can tell you he was cool. I met him as a kid and he made me feel like the star. Of course, this was right before the Benitez fight, not after the Hearns fight, which is when the arrogance started. I think the drug use had a lot to do with it too. Regardless, Leonard was my fav fighter and a class act. Yeah, he's always been a decent guy.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

Enemies for Life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Enemies for Life   Enemies for Life EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 4:48 pm

the stuff I had Leonard basically ays he hated him for calling his wife a bitch and kid a faggot

and ya my pops was in The Palm in Dallas alone and Leonard was alone and invited my dad to eat with him said he was nice as it gets
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Enemies for Life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Enemies for Life   Enemies for Life Empty

Back to top Go down

Enemies for Life
Page 1 of 1