Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

205 was given new life.

Go down 
+3
KmacLamb23
Farmer1906
captain organic
7 posters
AuthorMessage
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

205 was given new life. Empty
PostSubject: 205 was given new life.   205 was given new life. EmptyWed Oct 28, 2009 10:23 am

If Machida had walked through Rua, I think 205 was very much in danger of looking like every other division in the sport. A dominant champ followed by challengers who are clearly a step below the champ.

205 had looked to have fallen far since it's heyday. Chuck was ko'd into the night, Wandy was beaten down to 185, Rampage was getting embarrassed on tuf and then calling his retirement, rua was not the same fighter he was in pride.

If Lyoto had won that fight convincingly what would have been next for him? my guess would be a fairly long break followed by an relatively unanticipated title fight.

But with that fight, and controversy aside, that was clearly a fight between 2 elite level fighters, we now have a much anticipated rematch set for ASAP(not to mention the longer term trilogy, or a spider vs Rua matchup), we now have 2 top notch fighters in the div(3 if you count silva), and we also have a champ who lost his air of invincibility. I no longer will sneer at a Lyoto vs Cane matchup.

IMO this could not have turned out better for the div.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: 205 was given new life.   205 was given new life. EmptyWed Oct 28, 2009 10:25 am

Tito beens gone for years, Randy's 46 now and at HW, Griffin got destroyed by Silva & Rashad, then you Machida has already gone through Franklin, Thiago, Rashad, Soko, & Tito.

So yes I agree. This is the best thing that could have happened for the division.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 205 was given new life.   205 was given new life. EmptyWed Oct 28, 2009 11:18 am

Rashad Evans will be a player again too.
Back to top Go down
KmacLamb23
White Belt
White Belt
KmacLamb23

Favorite Fighter(s) : Fedor, Bones Jones, Hendo

PostSubject: Re: 205 was given new life.   205 was given new life. EmptyWed Oct 28, 2009 11:21 am

freakzilla316ftw wrote:
Rashad Evans will be a player again too.

+1
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

Favorite Fighter(s) : Fedor and GSP

PostSubject: Re: 205 was given new life.   205 was given new life. EmptyWed Oct 28, 2009 11:43 am

I've been saying this for awhile and will continue to...no one will hold the belt long term in the LHW division. It's not like at 185 or 170 where the difference between the champ and challengers is so vast.
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wolfy

PostSubject: Re: 205 was given new life.   205 was given new life. EmptyWed Oct 28, 2009 2:24 pm

I'm not sure how people would consider 205 like WW or MW when there hasn't been a successful title defense since Rampage beat Hendo. The two heavy divisions are the only two that aren't dominted by a single guy, IMO. I was one who never thought that Machida was unbeatable. And I don't think that Rua is the only one who can beat him.
Back to top Go down
SOKO
Black Belt
Black Belt
SOKO

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Dragon, Kenflo, Hendo, Guida, Ace, Wand, Cain, Carwin, Foreman, Evander, Oscar

PostSubject: Re: 205 was given new life.   205 was given new life. EmptyWed Oct 28, 2009 3:28 pm

I think rashad and thiago will be back in the mix soon with only one loss to the dragon.
Back to top Go down
Ninja
Administrator
Administrator
Ninja

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone with the last name Rua or Emelianenko and Uncle Creepy

PostSubject: Re: 205 was given new life.   205 was given new life. EmptyWed Oct 28, 2009 3:43 pm

The fight just proved that Machida is not as unbeatable as everyone thought he was.

I think Shogun and Machida are above and beyond everyone else in the division. Thiago, Rashad, and Lil Nog are in the second tier. I will hold my judgment on Cane until his fight with Nog.
Back to top Go down
https://ninjasplace.forumotion.net
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: 205 was given new life.   205 was given new life. EmptyThu Oct 29, 2009 12:09 am

Bigs03 wrote:
I've been saying this for awhile and will continue to...no one will hold the belt long term in the LHW division. It's not like at 185 or 170 where the difference between the champ and challengers is so vast.

did you not pick Lyoto to win? and if rua was not the guy to beat lyoto in the near time vicinity then who was?
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: 205 was given new life.   205 was given new life. EmptyThu Oct 29, 2009 9:30 am

Ninja\Rua/Fan wrote:
The fight just proved that Machida is not as unbeatable as everyone thought he was.

I think Shogun and Machida are above and beyond everyone else in the division. Thiago, Rashad, and Lil Nog are in the second tier. I will hold my judgment on Cane until his fight with Nog.

agree, except that I'll throw spider in the elite 205 mix, and with rua's performance there is now an top level matchup for him there, plus gegard is out there too.

so we went from a potentially stagnant title situation to one that could prove quite volatile, or at least have the legit threat of being volatile.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

Favorite Fighter(s) : Fedor and GSP

PostSubject: Re: 205 was given new life.   205 was given new life. EmptyThu Oct 29, 2009 9:38 am

captain organic wrote:
Bigs03 wrote:

did you not pick Lyoto to win? and if rua was not the guy to beat lyoto in the near time vicinity then who was?

Yes I picked Lyoto but even though he defended the belt once I don't think he will hold it long. The LHW division is stacked and someone will beat him. I thought Rampage was going to hold the belt for a long time but he didn't. Never really thought Forrest could hold onto it but I thought Rashad might be able to hold it at least until he fought Rampage.

I just think it's to competitive in that division for there to be a long term dominant champ. Chuck was the last one we will see for awhile in that division IMO. Maybe Lyoto will prove me wrong if he beats Shogun in the rematch. I'm talking like 5 or 6 title defenses not 2 or 3.

Also, I agree with Ninja that Lyoto and Shogun are tops in the division but they aren't exactly head and shoulders over everyone else. Both guys can be beat, especially with Anderson Silva in the division right now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 205 was given new life.   205 was given new life. Empty

Back to top Go down

205 was given new life.
Page 1 of 1