Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

First ATG: Sandy Saddler

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
powerpuncher
Green Belt
Green Belt
powerpuncher

First ATG: Sandy Saddler Empty
PostSubject: First ATG: Sandy Saddler   First ATG: Sandy Saddler EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 11:55 pm

So for those of you who haven't read whats going on. im going to pick a fighter once a week or so that is an ATG but doesnt necessarily get a ton of recognition like SRR, ali, pep, etc. we are picking fighters that arent in the top 10, but they are still great fighters. then we will discuss them and learn more about each of them. just give your insight and what you know about them.

one thing that we all know about saddler is that he was willie peps rival. he won the series 3-1. he was a tall and lanky fighter. 5'8 1/2 with a 70 inch reach as a featherweight. had a great punch also. one thing that i know about saddler is that he was a very dirty fighter. he also beat ATG flash elorde. thats about my extent of knowledge.

lets hear some more!
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

PostSubject: Re: First ATG: Sandy Saddler   First ATG: Sandy Saddler EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 12:17 am

great choice powerpuncher..saddler to me is one of the 10 most underated fighters of all time.great puncher and excellent technition..dirty lol that was a way of life in thoses days for many fighters.sandy was a willing partner if you wanted to fight with a liberal rule book..he could box well use his height and reach advantage to the fullest and was very good in cuting the ring off..pep of course was the after plane crash pep but still awsome..long story and one day ill tell it but actualy pep-saddler was 2wins each..for now lets just say willie accomindated a few folks.saddler beat more then a flash elorde who i saw fight a few times and indeed was fantastic..when sandy was at his peak i rate him number 2 all time in the featherweights behind willie who was in a class by himself..
devistating puncher for a featherweight..great jab and solid ring generalship....at some points in his career sandy was a inner and outer like the great joe walcott was..what i mean by that is when he was on his A game he was untouchable or hard to beat..when he didnt bring his A game he mearly was just very very good..that mostly was the last few years of his career..
he was extra tough good chin aND A POWERHOUSE..A BOB FOSTER TYPE OF POWER AND BUILD BUT ONLY BETTER.MUCH BETTER.
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

PostSubject: Re: First ATG: Sandy Saddler   First ATG: Sandy Saddler EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 12:24 am

in an era when every top fighter fought each other saddler was one that manny avoided..he was that dangerous..
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: First ATG: Sandy Saddler   First ATG: Sandy Saddler EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 12:32 am

simply put

Sandy Saddler was the shit and MY KIND OF FIGHTER, sneaky dirty to the core, I love it. Tough and big for his weight class, especially at the time, big time puncher, official record 144-16-2

Ring named him the 5th greatest Puncher and 15th best fight of the last 80 years.
Back to top Go down
powerpuncher
Green Belt
Green Belt
powerpuncher

PostSubject: Re: First ATG: Sandy Saddler   First ATG: Sandy Saddler EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 1:14 am

it was interesting to see when i looked at his record that he was only KO'd once and that was in his first loss which was only his third or fourth fight or something like that. someone with that size, power, and chin, must have just been hard to deal with for anybody.
Back to top Go down
hardcoreBEE24
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Thomas Hearns

PostSubject: Re: First ATG: Sandy Saddler   First ATG: Sandy Saddler EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 2:28 am

Birdofthad wrote:
simply put

Sandy Saddler was the shit and MY KIND OF FIGHTER, sneaky dirty to the core, I love it. Tough and big for his weight class, especially at the time, big time puncher, official record 144-16-2

Ring named him the 5th greatest Puncher and 15th best fight of the last 80 years.

Interesting that you constantly criticize Cotto in the Judah fight for low blows. Isn't the Cotto low blow one of the reasons that you don't like him?
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

PostSubject: Re: First ATG: Sandy Saddler   First ATG: Sandy Saddler EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 3:41 am

Saddler was so nasty Young George Foreman called him mean!

One of the things about Saddler one can't miss is his build. One boxing scribe called him a collection of pipe cleaners.

His KO of Pep is one of the most prestigous wins in the history of the sport. He was able to get Pep in the corner and pound him to the body until he fell down. Sandy also beat a whole raft of awfully good fighters like Charely Cabey Lewis, HOFer Old Bones Joe Brown, HOFer Jimmy Carter, Lauro Salas, Paddy DeMarco and HOFer Flash Elorde.

He had like 150 fights by the time he was 30 and had to retire after a car accident caused eye problems for him.

EASILY one of the top 50 fighters of all time. Probably one of the top 10-15 punchers.
Back to top Go down
powerpuncher
Green Belt
Green Belt
powerpuncher

PostSubject: Re: First ATG: Sandy Saddler   First ATG: Sandy Saddler EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 11:25 am

marbleheadmaui wrote:

One of the things about Saddler one can't miss is his build. One boxing scribe called him a collection of pipe cleaners.

His KO of Pep is one of the most prestigous wins in the history of the sport. He was able to get Pep in the corner and pound him to the body until he fell down. Sandy also beat a whole raft of awfully good fighters like Charely Cabey Lewis, HOFer Old Bones Joe Brown, HOFer Jimmy Carter, Lauro Salas, Paddy DeMarco and HOFer Flash Elorde.

He had like 150 fights by the time he was 30 and had to retire after a car accident caused eye problems for him.

EASILY one of the top 50 fighters of all time. Probably one of the top 10-15 punchers.
its hard for anyone to trap pep in a corner.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: First ATG: Sandy Saddler   First ATG: Sandy Saddler EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 12:19 pm

powerpuncher wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

Yup. I suspect, but cannot prove, that Saddler's build was so weird that it caused Pep to misunderstand the true distance at which the men were fighting.
Back to top Go down
powerpuncher
Green Belt
Green Belt
powerpuncher

PostSubject: Re: First ATG: Sandy Saddler   First ATG: Sandy Saddler EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 1:20 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
powerpuncher wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

Yup. I suspect, but cannot prove, that Saddler's build was so weird that it caused Pep to misunderstand the true distance at which the men were fighting.
some years back (i know since im young it doesnt seem that long to you old people), when i first watched pep fight before you could get things on youtube and before it existed i think, i was amazed at how he used his distance. i had a couple of his fights on tape and he was so good at hitting, then moving just far enough back or to the side that the opponents punch missed. then i watched one of the saddler fights (i think the 3rd one. is that the one where pep quits in his corner?) and i realized that saddler was just so tall that thats probably a big reason why pep had trouble with him. he couldnt get that distance right because he couldnt hit and move far enough away in time to avoid getting hit.
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

PostSubject: Re: First ATG: Sandy Saddler   First ATG: Sandy Saddler EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 1:26 pm

interesting thoughts...im not so sure pep had a problem with saddler on distance..the second fight proved that..the third fight also did but as i said before in this fight willie accomindated a few folks.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: First ATG: Sandy Saddler   First ATG: Sandy Saddler EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 2:05 pm

powerpuncher wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
powerpuncher wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

some years back (i know since im young it doesnt seem that long to you old people), when i first watched pep fight before you could get things on youtube and before it existed i think, i was amazed at how he used his distance. i had a couple of his fights on tape and he was so good at hitting, then moving just far enough back or to the side that the opponents punch missed. then i watched one of the saddler fights (i think the 3rd one. is that the one where pep quits in his corner?) and i realized that saddler was just so tall that thats probably a big reason why pep had trouble with him. he couldnt get that distance right because he couldnt hit and move far enough away in time to avoid getting hit.

Which fight do you think Pep did business in? The first or the last?
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

PostSubject: Re: First ATG: Sandy Saddler   First ATG: Sandy Saddler EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 2:27 pm

marble it was the third..pep wanted to do enough to show saddler he still was a great fighter and did so during the fight...at that fight ringside 4 rows in where darb longo and red mazza..two big time bookies from my home town that had layoff connections big ones nation wide..for 30 plus years utica ny had more action in gambling then any city per capita in the usa..the last 10 years it was second only to vegas.walking down the street in east utica the so called social clubs had poker rooms black jack tables high level dice games etc etc all wide open..on any lunchenette there was stacks of football tickets each color represented a certain bookie..you could place any parley bet there for they were what we called runners for the bookies.
red mazza rarely bet just booked..darb on the other hand booked but was a big time gambler..deadly with colledge baseketball n football.bet on his golf abilty bowling abilty poker dice anything but 1.boxing and 2. the horse races..
it was darb himself that told me this story...just before the main event red ask darb.who did you bet..darb said red you know i dont bet the fights.i placed 100 on pep for a sentimental bet only..red said i put 10 grand on saddler..well they were best friends and darb went crazy..he stood up screaming at red saying YOU bet against an italian and called red every name in the book as celebrites etc etc started to look at them red said..darb calm down..its in the bag..darb said why didnt you tell me.

red said darb you love willie and if i did i figured you would make a few phone calls to call it off.thus jeperdizing my 10 grand..darb laughed and said red your right..you sure do know me..well guys 10 grand back then was like 100 000 today..noo small bet for a guy who didnt bet..when the roughhousing continued willie found the perfect exit....true story..
Back to top Go down
powerpuncher
Green Belt
Green Belt
powerpuncher

PostSubject: Re: First ATG: Sandy Saddler   First ATG: Sandy Saddler EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 6:55 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
powerpuncher wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
powerpuncher wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

Which fight do you think Pep did business in? The first or the last?
i dont understand the question. what do you mean by did business?
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

PostSubject: Re: First ATG: Sandy Saddler   First ATG: Sandy Saddler EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 7:01 pm

powerpuncher marble was asking me that question and i can see why your confused..read my post above yours for i ansered marbles question.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First ATG: Sandy Saddler   First ATG: Sandy Saddler Empty

Back to top Go down

First ATG: Sandy Saddler
Page 1 of 1