Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Will any of these former champs ever get another UFC title shot?

Go down 
+3
Wolfgangsta
MMAEYES
OU
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Will any of these former champs ever get another UFC title shot? Empty
PostSubject: Will any of these former champs ever get another UFC title shot?   Will any of these former champs ever get another UFC title shot? EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 9:29 am

1. Randy Couture
2. Chuck Liddell
3. Rich Franklin
4. Big Nog
5. Matt Hughes
6. Matt Serra
7. Forrest Griffin
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Will any of these former champs ever get another UFC title shot?   Will any of these former champs ever get another UFC title shot? EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 9:40 am

freakzilla316ftw wrote:
1. Randy Couture
2. Chuck Liddell
3. Rich Franklin
4. Big Nog
5. Matt Hughes
6. Matt Serra
7. Forrest Griffin

1. no, but maybe
2. no, wish I was wrong
3. no, just no
4. no
5. no but maybe.
6. no but maybe
7. maybe, probably not
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, FEDOR, NICK DIAZ

PostSubject: Re: Will any of these former champs ever get another UFC title shot?   Will any of these former champs ever get another UFC title shot? EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 9:48 am

I'm gonna have to say no. To all of them
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Will any of these former champs ever get another UFC title shot?   Will any of these former champs ever get another UFC title shot? EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 11:15 am

With Shogun being the champion and Forrest still being a fan favorite that is the most likely.

If Serra keeps knocking fools out on the regular like that a rubber match with GSP might be possible too. Most forget they are 1-1. Serra KO's a contender and all bets are off with him.

Randy always gets title shots he doesn't deserve so that is possible also, and LHW needs contenders in a bad way.

The winner of Chuck vs Rich is in a favorable position right now, especially with Little Nog looking bad against Brilz, again the LHW division is short on contenders at this moment.

Hughes could earn a tite shot rather easily if he still wanted to compete against top guys but he has made it clear he isn't after the title anymore. Why would he be? He defended that thing 9 times. He made his point.

Big Nog is 33, if he finds himself 35 and on a 3 or 4 fight win streak in the UFC and the cycle of young contenders has ran it's course finally, never know.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Will any of these former champs ever get another UFC title shot?   Will any of these former champs ever get another UFC title shot? EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 11:20 am

Wolfgangsta wrote:
With Shogun being the champion and Forrest still being a fan favorite that is the most likely.

If Serra keeps knocking fools out on the regular like that a rubber match with GSP might be possible too. Most forget they are 1-1. Serra KO's a contender and all bets are off with him.

Randy always gets title shots he doesn't deserve so that is possible also, and LHW needs contenders in a bad way.

The winner of Chuck vs Rich is in a favorable position right now, especially with Little Nog looking bad against Brilz, again the LHW division is short on contenders at this moment.

Hughes could earn a tite shot rather easily if he still wanted to compete against top guys but he has made it clear he isn't after the title anymore. Why would he be? He defended that thing 9 times. He made his point.

Big Nog is 33, if he finds himself 35 and on a 3 or 4 fight win streak in the UFC and the cycle of young contenders has ran it's course finally, never know.

Yeah I agree, pretty much my exact thoughts as well. I'm just giving an educated guess saying Forrest won't quite make it back to another shot. I think Serra is most deserving but the UFC doesn't seem to be pushing him very fast and he isn't getting any younger. Another big win though could get him right there. Hughes is the same, a win over Almedia will still put him atleast 1 big win away. I think he falls just short.
I don't think Rich or Chuck will be able to string together the 2-3 big wins they need for the shot. Same goes for Nog. Just my opinon.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Will any of these former champs ever get another UFC title shot?   Will any of these former champs ever get another UFC title shot? EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 11:26 am

Unsure if any fan favorite at LHW needs 3 big wins. Forrest and Randy seems like something the UFC would do this fall to determine the next challenger for Shogun/Rashad.
Back to top Go down
Ninja
Administrator
Administrator
Ninja

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone with the last name Rua or Emelianenko and Uncle Creepy

PostSubject: Re: Will any of these former champs ever get another UFC title shot?   Will any of these former champs ever get another UFC title shot? EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 11:29 am

1. Randy Couture - possible
2. Chuck Liddell - no
3. Rich Franklin - no, but maybe it could happen.
4. Big Nog - no
5. Matt Hughes - no
6. Matt Serra - no
7. Forrest Griffin - possible
Back to top Go down
https://ninjasplace.forumotion.net
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Will any of these former champs ever get another UFC title shot?   Will any of these former champs ever get another UFC title shot? EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 11:30 am

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Unsure if any fan favorite at LHW needs 3 big wins. Forrest and Randy seems like something the UFC would do this fall to determine the next challenger for Shogun/Rashad.

Forrest beat Tito. Let's just assume for fun he beats lil Nog sometime this year. You would think he would need 1 more win? Is that safe to say? I just don't see him beating Rashad, Rampage, Machida, Shogun or whoever it will be standing in the way of his shot.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Will any of these former champs ever get another UFC title shot?   Will any of these former champs ever get another UFC title shot? EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 11:40 am

Forrest Griffin has a shot because he's a name and Shogun wants to avenge his previous loss to him.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Will any of these former champs ever get another UFC title shot?   Will any of these former champs ever get another UFC title shot? EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 11:43 am

Ali_1748 wrote:
Forrest Griffin has a shot because he's a name and Shogun wants to avenge his previous loss to him.

I think it is more likely that Rampage gets the first crack at revenge on Forrest. That could setup another revenge fight with the winner vs Shogun. Forrest wins Shoguns gets a chance at revenge. Rampage wins and gets a chance at back to back revenge.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Will any of these former champs ever get another UFC title shot?   Will any of these former champs ever get another UFC title shot? EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 11:45 am

OUSOONERSOU wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:

I think it is more likely that Rampage gets the first crack at revenge on Forrest. That could setup another revenge fight with the winner vs Shogun. Forrest wins Shoguns gets a chance at revenge. Rampage wins and gets a chance at back to back revenge.

That would be cool.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Will any of these former champs ever get another UFC title shot?   Will any of these former champs ever get another UFC title shot? EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 11:46 am

If Forrest beats Rogerio, who is still a legitimate top 5 or 6 on most rankings even with the close fight against Jason Brilz, he gets an immediate rematch with Shogun. Holding the only UFC win over Shogun and wins over legends like Ortiz and Nog is all he would need. Trust.

The UFC really, really wanted that fight to go as planned on 114.

Notice they didn't make Rashad/Rampage for a title shot until after Griffin went down with an injury? There was a reason for that. The winner of that fight, especially if it was Forrest, would have been given as much consideration as Rampage.

Dana White's PPV wetdream was having both Rampage and Forrest be dominant, setting up a blockbuster series of PPV events with all their biggest LHW stars who all have history with eachother.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Will any of these former champs ever get another UFC title shot?   Will any of these former champs ever get another UFC title shot? EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 11:51 am

Good point on a Rampage-Forrest rematch. If Rashad becomes champion, Rampage needs just a single win against someone like Forrest and another blockbuster PPV, this time for the title, is generated.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Will any of these former champs ever get another UFC title shot?   Will any of these former champs ever get another UFC title shot? EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 11:52 am

Wolfgangsta wrote:
If Forrest beats Rogerio, who is still a legitimate top 5 or 6 on most rankings even with the close fight against Jason Brilz, he gets an immediate rematch with Shogun. Holding the only UFC win over Shogun and wins over legends like Ortiz and Nog is all he would need. Trust.

The UFC really, really wanted that fight to go as planned on 114.

Notice they didn't make Rashad/Rampage for a title shot until after Griffin went down with an injury? There was a reason for that. The winner of that fight, especially if it was Forrest, would have been given as much consideration as Rampage.

Dana White's PPV wetdream was having both Rampage and Forrest be dominant, setting up a blockbuster series of PPV events with all their biggest LHW stars who all have history with eachother.

I disagree, I don't think he will get a shot if he beat lil Nog. After getting embarrased by Spider, I think he would need 1 more win after Nog. You could be right, I just don't think you are in this instance.

Wolf, notice they didn't make Rashad/Rampage for the title until AFTER Machida lost. The only reason IMO that they didn't is Dana did not want Rashad vs Machida 2. I think that was the only reason for the delay.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Will any of these former champs ever get another UFC title shot?   Will any of these former champs ever get another UFC title shot? EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 11:53 am

And as a matter of fact, wouldn't it be rather easy to sell a Forrest-Rashad rematch if Rashad was champion this time? LHW is the most interesting division around.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Will any of these former champs ever get another UFC title shot?   Will any of these former champs ever get another UFC title shot? EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 11:55 am

Wolfgangsta wrote:
And as a matter of fact, wouldn't it be rather easy to sell a Forrest-Rashad rematch if Rashad was champion this time? LHW is the most interesting division around.

A Forrest vs Rampage fight setups up back to back revenge fights no matter what. Rampage gets a shot at revenge vs Forrest. Then he could get revenge on either Rashad or Shogun no matter who wins. Forrest beats Rampage and that either gives him a chance at revenge vs Rashad or gives Shogun a chance at revenge.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Will any of these former champs ever get another UFC title shot?   Will any of these former champs ever get another UFC title shot? EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 12:14 pm

Hole in your theory -

Besides maybe Forrest, Rampage aint beating none of them dudes.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Will any of these former champs ever get another UFC title shot?   Will any of these former champs ever get another UFC title shot? EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 12:16 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Hole in your theory -

Besides maybe Forrest, Rampage aint beating none of them dudes.

How is that a whole in the theory? I said they will get an attempt at revenge, not that they will accomplish it. I don't think Forrest would get revenge on Rashad either if he gets that far.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Will any of these former champs ever get another UFC title shot?   Will any of these former champs ever get another UFC title shot? EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 12:17 pm

True, but remember who was owning that fight until Forrest got clipped.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Will any of these former champs ever get another UFC title shot?   Will any of these former champs ever get another UFC title shot? EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 12:19 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
True, but remember who was owning that fight until Forrest got clipped.

I think that was part of Rashad strategy. Feel him out, frustrate him a little bit and then explode. Like he did vs Chuck. I just don't think Forrest matchups up well with Rashad. Eventually Rashad's speed and wrestling would get him the win IMO.
Back to top Go down
chorky777
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Weidman, McGregor, Pettis, Cowboy

PostSubject: Re: Will any of these former champs ever get another UFC title shot?   Will any of these former champs ever get another UFC title shot? EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 3:22 pm

1. Randy Couture- I'm guessing he'll have an easy road to the title shot. Maybe one more fight after the Toney win. I'm guessing he'd lose that fight, but I'm not positive. So I'll go maybe on him.
2. Chuck Liddell- NO WAY IN HELL
3. Rich Franklin- He needs to somehow get a decent chin. Not sure that's possible, so I'll go no.
4. Big Nog- Nope. The new crop of heavyweights are just too good, too fast, and too strong for him. Not to mention, I don't know how he'd do against Nelson, Mir, or even Kongo at this point. I'm not sure he can take too many hits any more.
5. Matt Hughes- I don't think he wants a title shot. I think he just wants big fights that can please fans.
6. Matt Serra- I doubt it. He's undersized, and I just don't think he can beat the elite welters.
7. Forrest Griffin- Hmmmm.... Toughest of the bunch. He's clearly a smart fighter with the skills needed to beat a lot of light heavies, but I just can't help but think that the Anderson Silva loss will tarnish the title if he was to win it. I wouldn't be surprised if he made a nice run, but didn't get another shot for a while.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Will any of these former champs ever get another UFC title shot?   Will any of these former champs ever get another UFC title shot? EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 6:06 pm

A collective NO, but you could make some great fights with the guys there

Chuck vs. Franklin (actually happening)
Hughes vs. serra rematch
Randy vs. Big Nog rematch
Forrest fights the winner of Chuck vs. Franklin
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Will any of these former champs ever get another UFC title shot?   Will any of these former champs ever get another UFC title shot? EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 6:40 pm

Yo the only fight I'd be remotely interested in seeing is Forrest fighting one of those other guys. Serra and Hughes II is a card killer and Randy and Big Nog in a rematch is unneeded.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Will any of these former champs ever get another UFC title shot?   Will any of these former champs ever get another UFC title shot? EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 6:44 pm

I'd like to see a Hughes vs. Serra rematch, Hughes LnPed his way to victor in that one, it's not a headliner, and both guy are at about tha same place in the division

Same goes for Randy and Nog, where are they at? Randy's fighting fucking Toney and Nog is waiting for a fight, even though Dana will try and push Randy as a contender at LHW, he really isn't, be a good fight IMO.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Will any of these former champs ever get another UFC title shot?   Will any of these former champs ever get another UFC title shot? EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 7:01 pm

I only give Forrest a chance
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will any of these former champs ever get another UFC title shot?   Will any of these former champs ever get another UFC title shot? Empty

Back to top Go down

Will any of these former champs ever get another UFC title shot?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next