Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Frank Shamrock a HoF?

Go down 
+5
Primetyme199
joshkellerseattle
chorky777
bobbitt15
Wolfgangsta
9 posters

Frank Shamrock in the HoF?
Yes. He was the first dominant champion in the most prestigious division in the sports history.
Frank Shamrock a HoF? Vote_lcap87%Frank Shamrock a HoF? Vote_rcap
 87% [ 13 ]
No. He retired too soon. I listen to Dana over reality. I've never watched his fights. I am kind of insane truthfully.
Frank Shamrock a HoF? Vote_lcap13%Frank Shamrock a HoF? Vote_rcap
 13% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 15

AuthorMessage
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

Frank Shamrock a HoF? Empty
PostSubject: Frank Shamrock a HoF?   Frank Shamrock a HoF? EmptyFri Jul 31, 2009 4:08 pm

First in a long, prestigious line of LHW champions, was more successful than his step-brother, and like Sakuraba and Royce, was typically always outweighed by ten-twenty pounds, or more, in most of his fights.

Was the first fighter with high level submissions, striking and wrestling to put it all together. GSP of yesteryear.

Anyone who really believes no should give a good reason.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Frank Shamrock a HoF?   Frank Shamrock a HoF? EmptyFri Jul 31, 2009 4:10 pm

Certainly yes
Back to top Go down
chorky777
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Weidman, McGregor, Pettis, Cowboy

PostSubject: Re: Frank Shamrock a HoF?   Frank Shamrock a HoF? EmptyFri Jul 31, 2009 4:13 pm

He's got my vote, but we have to find a way to get Ken out.
Back to top Go down
joshkellerseattle
Orange Belt
Orange Belt
joshkellerseattle

Favorite Fighter(s) : Machida, GSP, Randy

PostSubject: Re: Frank Shamrock a HoF?   Frank Shamrock a HoF? EmptyFri Jul 31, 2009 4:28 pm

Can we do a swap program?

Like put Frank in by taking Ken out???
Back to top Go down
chorky777
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Weidman, McGregor, Pettis, Cowboy

PostSubject: Re: Frank Shamrock a HoF?   Frank Shamrock a HoF? EmptyFri Jul 31, 2009 4:35 pm

joshkellerseattle wrote:
Can we do a swap program?

Like put Frank in by taking Ken out???

That's all I want.
Back to top Go down
Primetyme199
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
Primetyme199

PostSubject: Re: Frank Shamrock a HoF?   Frank Shamrock a HoF? EmptyFri Jul 31, 2009 6:18 pm

Don't forget his King of Pancrase though it was as interim, also Fighter of the year a few times.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Frank Shamrock a HoF?   Frank Shamrock a HoF? EmptyFri Jul 31, 2009 7:07 pm

I'm pretty sure he's a lock
Back to top Go down
thessy11
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostSubject: Re: Frank Shamrock a HoF?   Frank Shamrock a HoF? EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 1:11 am

Is there some kind of board HoF going on or is this referring to UFC HoF?

I don't understand how 9/9 people so far think he's HoF if it's referring to UFC HoF. If there's ever an MMA HoF Frank Shamrock is a "lock" for sure, but UFC HoF? He had 5 total UFC fights, 3 against [relative] nobodies, 1 against Jeremy Horn, and 1 against Tito Ortiz. I like the guy but nobody with 5 UFC fights is going to get into the UFC HoF, IMO.

Edit: If there's ever an MMA HoF Frank is a first ballot inductee, and if the UFC HoF considers accomplishments outside the HoF he has my vote (hell I'd put him top 10 all time) , but I'll stand alone here and say I don't think he will be in the UFC HoF.
Back to top Go down
Texas254

Favorite Fighter(s) : Hendo, Shogun, Wand, Torres

PostSubject: Re: Frank Shamrock a HoF?   Frank Shamrock a HoF? EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 2:19 am

thessy11 wrote:

I don't understand how 9/9 people so far think he's HoF if it's referring to UFC HoF. If there's ever an MMA HoF Frank Shamrock is a "lock" for sure, but UFC HoF? He had 5 total UFC fights, 3 against [relative] nobodies, 1 against Jeremy Horn, and 1 against Tito Ortiz. I like the guy but nobody with 5 UFC fights is going to get into the UFC HoF, IMO.

Edit: If there's ever an MMA HoF Frank is a first ballot inductee, and if the UFC HoF considers accomplishments outside the HoF he has my vote (hell I'd put him top 10 all time) , but I'll stand alone here and say I don't think he will be in the UFC HoF.

What!! yeah man you will stand alone on this one he was one of the first true MMAers. I never liked him but he is HOF.
Back to top Go down
muayjitsu
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
muayjitsu

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wand, Thiago Alves, BJ Penn, Cain, Vitor, Tito, SHOGUN

PostSubject: Re: Frank Shamrock a HoF?   Frank Shamrock a HoF? EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 3:25 am

Yes hopefully him and dana can get along.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Frank Shamrock a HoF?   Frank Shamrock a HoF? EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 10:35 am

thessy11 wrote:

Five UFC fights and one WEC fight, all title fights he was victorious in. Kevin Jackson had already won a UFC tournament and a gold medal in the Olympics in wrestling - not a nobody by any stretch. Igor was undefeated and was easily a top ten fighter with wins over Mario Sperry and Enson Inoue, definitly not a nobody. Shamrock retired him with a crushing slam. John Lober if I recall correctly was a replacement for someone else. That win is questionable. No idea about the guy he beat in the WEC though.

In MMA at the time, those wins were as good as you were going to get. This was a different era.
Back to top Go down
thessy11
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostSubject: Re: Frank Shamrock a HoF?   Frank Shamrock a HoF? EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 2:26 pm

I respectfully disagree on what defines a nobody. A fighter who has not beaten anyone noteworthy but has yet to be exposed himself is not a 'somebody' to me.

Kevin Jackson was 2-2 in the UFC lifetime. His tournament win was a result of 2 victories, one over a guy who was 0-1 (1-4 lifetime) and one against Tony Fryklund.

Igor may have been top 10, the only fight I ever watched of his was the one against Shamrock, but if so he was top 10 due to lack of competition. Igor did beat Inoue (and Inoue's biggest win at that point in his career was against a 52 year old Zulu Sr) and Sperry (Sperry was 2-0 when he fought Igor. Sperry's 2 wins came against fighters with a combined 0-6 record), but I disagree on the amount of credibility those wins carry.

I'm not saying any of this to bash Shamrock - he didn't choose who he fought. It was a different era and he was a revolutionary fighter and pioneer for sure.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Frank Shamrock a HoF?   Frank Shamrock a HoF? EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 4:40 pm

In MMA at the time there were no established stars hardly at all, and no one with a lot of "quality wins". Those wins were as good as they get. While we're at it lets assassinate all of Royce's wins too.
Back to top Go down
thessy11
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostSubject: Re: Frank Shamrock a HoF?   Frank Shamrock a HoF? EmptySun Aug 02, 2009 1:43 pm

Royce was a one-dimensional fighter hand picked to fight in the UFC by his brother, one of the UFC's co-founders, knowing nobody else in the competition had any way to deal with jiu-jitsu at the time. He couldn't have held Frank Shamrock's jock strap.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Frank Shamrock a HoF?   Frank Shamrock a HoF? EmptySun Aug 02, 2009 1:58 pm

Ken Shamrock had real good submission chops. The UFC at that stage was style vs style, so lets all bash Royce for having the best one. Thessy stop filtering MMA of yesteryear through today's standards.
Back to top Go down
thessy11
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostSubject: Re: Frank Shamrock a HoF?   Frank Shamrock a HoF? EmptySun Aug 02, 2009 2:45 pm

Nobody bashed Royce for having the best style, but it's not as if he came into the UFC at random or by chance for the sake of proving he was the Ultimate Fighter. In a documentary one of the Gracie's even admitted he was put in the UFC because the family had inside knowledge of the competition and wanted to market their family business/product.

Why can't you just agree to disagree instead of trying to bash me for not being a sheep blindly following everyone? At least I have an original opinion formed from watching the fights myself. Half of these guys are 20 years old and hadn't started kindergarten when Royce and Frank were fighting. Their "opinion" was formed by reading the opinions of others online, or if they're really "hardcore fans" they went and found some of the fight videos online after their opinions had already been forged by their e-friends.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Frank Shamrock a HoF?   Frank Shamrock a HoF? EmptySun Aug 02, 2009 3:11 pm

I'm not bashing you. Ya, the early UFC's were sort of a gracie jj infomercial, but the way you characterize them makes it sound as if it was rigged, or fixed.

You're holding both Shamrock and Royce Gracie to unrealistic standards of today's MMA.
Back to top Go down
thessy11
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostSubject: Re: Frank Shamrock a HoF?   Frank Shamrock a HoF? EmptySun Aug 02, 2009 5:56 pm

That's not my intention, so I apologize if I come off that way.

Gracie was not well rounded, but why would anyone be if they didn't have to. Shamrock was very well rounded and was a pioneer of the sport. In no way am I trying to hold Shamrock to today's standards (hell the guy is still competitive by today's standards), I just disagree that he accomplished enough within the UFC to be inducted into the UFC HoF. If accomplishments outside MMA are considered, or if there's ever an MMA HoF, he's in hands down. He would be in my top 10 of all time, probably 6-7.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Frank Shamrock a HoF?   Frank Shamrock a HoF? EmptySun Aug 02, 2009 11:08 pm

But who else could he have fought in those days? He's undefeated in the UFC/WEC with five wins all in title fights, defeating the best there was in the promotion at the time. He is the first in a long lineage of dominant LHW champions to have lengthy runs in the division, with Wanderlei, Ortiz and Liddell following in his foot-steps.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Frank Shamrock a HoF?   Frank Shamrock a HoF? Empty

Back to top Go down

Frank Shamrock a HoF?
Page 1 of 1