Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bob Shamrock, adopted father to Frank and Ken Shamrock, dies at 68

Go down 
+2
timthebim
Primetyme199
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Primetyme199
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
Primetyme199

Bob Shamrock, adopted father to Frank and Ken Shamrock, dies at 68 Empty
PostSubject: Bob Shamrock, adopted father to Frank and Ken Shamrock, dies at 68   Bob Shamrock, adopted father to Frank and Ken Shamrock, dies at 68 EmptyThu Jan 14, 2010 10:10 pm

Bob Shamrock, the adopted father of famed MMA legends Frank and Ken Shamrock died today following a long-term battle with various health complications due to diabetes.

News of Shamrock's passing was announced this evening by a representative of Ken's famed Lion's Den academy in Reno, Nev.

Shamrock was 68 years old.

Shamrock is best known for establishing the Shamrock Boys Home in Susanville, Calif., a facility for troubled boys. Ken and Frank each spent considerable time at the facility, and Shamrock would eventually adopt them both.

Shamrock kept the boys busy with various sporting activities, and he allowed the children to turn to controlled fisticuffs to settle their difference, as long as he was around to supervise.

"One of Ken's fondest memories of growing up at the Shamrock home was the way his dad had the kids settle their disputes," today's release stated. "If the kids got mad with each other, Bob would let them put on gloves and box in the backyard to sort things out. The only rule imposed for these matches was that Bob had to be there at the time."

Both Ken and Frank would go on to successful mixed martial arts careers that included appearances in the UFC, Pancrase, PRIDE, Strikeforce and EliteXC.

"My dad had an unbelievable light with these kids," Ken stated in this evening's release. "I've never seen anybody able to take a defiant kid into their home and handle them like my father could – willing to get into a fight with them if he had to because of disrespect and then turn around and hug them and let them know, the minute you give me respect, I'll give you respect.

"Everyone that came in contact with my dad, you could tell he made a difference in their life. I've never seen anyone have that much success with kids. I know he's with the Lord, but I'll miss him and I'm forever thankful."

Shamrock spent his final days at Ken's home surrounded by friends and family.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Bob Shamrock, adopted father to Frank and Ken Shamrock, dies at 68   Bob Shamrock, adopted father to Frank and Ken Shamrock, dies at 68 EmptyThu Jan 14, 2010 10:15 pm

Terrible news. Feel bad for Ken and Frank. Hopefully this brings them back together cause last I heard they hated each other.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Bob Shamrock, adopted father to Frank and Ken Shamrock, dies at 68   Bob Shamrock, adopted father to Frank and Ken Shamrock, dies at 68 EmptyThu Jan 14, 2010 10:17 pm

This is shitty news. I hope Ken and Frank come together for the funeral and all of that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Bob Shamrock, adopted father to Frank and Ken Shamrock, dies at 68   Bob Shamrock, adopted father to Frank and Ken Shamrock, dies at 68 EmptyFri Jan 15, 2010 12:13 am

Very sad, sad news, happy I got to meet him several times, he was a very nice man whenever I did meet him.

Happy Ken could reconcile with Bob before he passed, hopefully Frank reconciled with Bob cause Bob did alot of good for alot of abondoned kids. Not just Ken and Frank.

May he rest in peace he died to young
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Bob Shamrock, adopted father to Frank and Ken Shamrock, dies at 68   Bob Shamrock, adopted father to Frank and Ken Shamrock, dies at 68 EmptyFri Jan 15, 2010 1:57 am

R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Bob Shamrock, adopted father to Frank and Ken Shamrock, dies at 68   Bob Shamrock, adopted father to Frank and Ken Shamrock, dies at 68 EmptyFri Jan 15, 2010 3:38 am

I have fond memories of meeting Bob and watching him hold the towel for Ken, this really sucks

we lost a good guy yesterday
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, FEDOR, NICK DIAZ

PostSubject: Re: Bob Shamrock, adopted father to Frank and Ken Shamrock, dies at 68   Bob Shamrock, adopted father to Frank and Ken Shamrock, dies at 68 EmptyFri Jan 15, 2010 11:44 am

Wolfgangsta wrote:
This is shitty news. I hope Ken and Frank come together for the funeral and all of that.

Franks a jackass if he didn't make up with his dad and brother in the mist of this. I know I'm an outsider with no real clue what the problems were between them but family is family. I really hope they came together for this
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bob Shamrock, adopted father to Frank and Ken Shamrock, dies at 68   Bob Shamrock, adopted father to Frank and Ken Shamrock, dies at 68 Empty

Back to top Go down

Bob Shamrock, adopted father to Frank and Ken Shamrock, dies at 68
Page 1 of 1