Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

NSAC considers 5 round non title fights.

Go down 
+6
joshkellerseattle
bobbitt15
Thomasdrrn09
Ninja
Ziggy116
CombatSports4Life
10 posters
AuthorMessage
CombatSports4Life
Green Belt
Green Belt
CombatSports4Life

Favorite Fighter(s) : FEDOR

NSAC considers 5 round non title fights. Empty
PostSubject: NSAC considers 5 round non title fights.   NSAC considers 5 round non title fights. EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 5:25 pm

I'm sorry but i'm all fucking for it sometimes.

According to MMA Junkie, the Nevada State Athletic Commission will be looking to fine tune their ruleset when they convene on August 17th. NSAC has provided a copy of the potential changes here. Among the changes, NSAC proposes to increase leniency with regards to length of bouts. Here's the text (bold indicates proposed change):

2. A championship contest of mixed martial arts or any other mixed martial arts contest or
exhibition which the Commission considers to be a special event must [be] not exceed five
rounds in duration.

I've written about my support for more five round fights before. Just within the past year, one only has to look at the Franklin/Henderson, Franklin/Silva, and Condit/Kampmann fights as examples of why the option for five round non-title fights is necessary.

Our quirky friends at Fightlinker disagree:

Five round non title fights? Say it ain't so, Keith! While I'm sure many people are high fiving over the possibility of fights like Anderson Silva vs Forrest Griffin or Randy Couture vs Big Nog going 25 minutes instead of 15 (and I say 'like' because these aren't in Nevada), just wait till the five round fight becomes the new three round fight. Anything that pushes MMA closer towards boxing's never-ending bout syndrome is bad fucking news. How about we add the option to stick another period onto hockey games while we're at it?

I'm not really sure how adding ten potential minutes to a mixed martial arts contest is pushing the sport closer to boxing, nor am I sure how that's inherently a bad thing either. With that said, what are the benefits?

•More decisive finishes - From my previous post on the topic, I showed that - in a limited sample size - five round title fights are finished 77% of the time as compared to the MMA average of 67% for three round affairs. More fights avoiding the mysterious hands of the judges the better.
•Less importance per round - In a three round fight, each round makes up 33% of a judge's score card. A round in a five round bout is only worth 20%. For example, in the Caol Uno/Spencer Fisher fight at UFC 99, if you score the first two rounds (which were very close) to Fisher, Uno has to win a dominant 10-8 third just for a draw. With two additional rounds, Uno would have ample time to make up lost ground (if not finish his opponent).
•More quality at the top of the cards - I'm an extremist. The more five-round fights, the better. I understand that's a minority position, and unlikely to come to fruition in the event that NSAC opens the five-round door. That said, if the UFC utilizes the five round fight for all main and co-main events, that's potentially 20 additional minutes of high-level MMA. Who can argue with that?
As a final note, I think it's important to take a look at the wording of the proposed clause (emphasis mine):

or any other mixed martial arts contest or exhibition which the Commission considers to be a special event

It looks like the NSAC is taking measures to ensure they have oversight over a promoter's wants.
Back to top Go down
Ziggy116
Black Belt
Black Belt
Ziggy116

Favorite Fighter(s) : Rampage, Fedor, Gangster brothers, Aldo

PostSubject: Re: NSAC considers 5 round non title fights.   NSAC considers 5 round non title fights. EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 5:28 pm

God dammit Combat you always seem to bring me great news! I hope that shit goes down...it needs to!
Back to top Go down
https://apps.facebook.com/groupsplus/group.php?id=2139
Ninja
Administrator
Administrator
Ninja

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone with the last name Rua or Emelianenko and Uncle Creepy

PostSubject: Re: NSAC considers 5 round non title fights.   NSAC considers 5 round non title fights. EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 5:29 pm

Personally I am against 5 round non title fights. If this rules gets made we will see less fights.

I think the problem is the judges and the judging criteria. Not the number of rounds and the ten point must system.

Last edited by NinjaRua/Fan on Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://ninjasplace.forumotion.net
Thomasdrrn09
Blue Belt
Blue Belt
Thomasdrrn09

Favorite Fighter(s) : MMA-Forrest Griffin, Nate Diaz, GSP Boxing-Cotto,

PostSubject: Re: NSAC considers 5 round non title fights.   NSAC considers 5 round non title fights. EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 5:30 pm

very very cool
Back to top Go down
CombatSports4Life
Green Belt
Green Belt
CombatSports4Life

PostSubject: Re: NSAC considers 5 round non title fights.   NSAC considers 5 round non title fights. EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 5:35 pm

Ninja\Rua/Fan wrote:
Personally I am against 5 round non title fights. If this rules gets made we will see less fights.

I think the problem is the judges and the judging criteria. Not the number of rounds and the ten point must system.

I totally see your point but sometimes i just want to see more of a fight for example a 5 rounder with wandy and chuck. I think they should only be used in very very special situations. It may not necessarily mean less fights.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: NSAC considers 5 round non title fights.   NSAC considers 5 round non title fights. EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 5:43 pm

I personally would like to see it. And I don't understand what Fightlinker was talking about. How long do they think a boxing match should be?
Back to top Go down
joshkellerseattle
Orange Belt
Orange Belt
joshkellerseattle

Favorite Fighter(s) : Machida, GSP, Randy

PostSubject: Re: NSAC considers 5 round non title fights.   NSAC considers 5 round non title fights. EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 5:53 pm

I think the problem lies in the judges criteria for determining the winer, but 5 round fights could be an interesting step forward.

I can think of tons of fights off hand, with Franklin-Hendo being the most recent example, of fights that went 3 rounds with disuputed decision when going 5 rounds would have ended in a decisive winner.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: NSAC considers 5 round non title fights.   NSAC considers 5 round non title fights. EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 6:00 pm

I'm all for 5 round fights for main and co main fights.

Just think how much better & possible different MMA would be if we had 5 round fights for all main and co main events.

UFC 99 - Franklin v Silva & Cain v Kongo
UFC 98 - Hughes v Serra
FN 18 - Condit vs Kampmann
UFC 96 - Jackson vs Jardine
UFC 95 - Sanchez v Stevenson
UFC 93 - Franklin vs Henderson

And that is just 2009
Back to top Go down
Ninja
Administrator
Administrator
Ninja

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone with the last name Rua or Emelianenko and Uncle Creepy

PostSubject: Re: NSAC considers 5 round non title fights.   NSAC considers 5 round non title fights. EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 6:31 pm

Farmer1906 wrote:

Just think how much better & possible different MMA would be if we had 5 round fights for all main and co main events.

UFC 98 - Hughes v Serra

And that is just 2009

Bad examples.
Back to top Go down
https://ninjasplace.forumotion.net
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: NSAC considers 5 round non title fights.   NSAC considers 5 round non title fights. EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 6:39 pm

Ninja\Rua/Fan wrote:
Farmer1906 wrote:

UFC 98 - Hughes v Serra

And that is just 2009

Bad examples.

Why you don't like finishes?
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: NSAC considers 5 round non title fights.   NSAC considers 5 round non title fights. EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 6:53 pm

Less fights would get aired. Leave shit alone.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
CombatSports4Life
Green Belt
Green Belt
CombatSports4Life

PostSubject: Re: NSAC considers 5 round non title fights.   NSAC considers 5 round non title fights. EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 6:58 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Less fights would get aired. Leave shit alone.

How do you know less fights would be shown? There are shows with multiple title fights that show the exact same amount of fights as every other card.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: NSAC considers 5 round non title fights.   NSAC considers 5 round non title fights. EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 6:59 pm

The maincard ones would be shown, but it would lead to less undercards.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

PostSubject: Re: NSAC considers 5 round non title fights.   NSAC considers 5 round non title fights. EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 7:12 pm

But wouldn't an addition 2 rounds of Franklin Silva be more entertaining than 2 guys no one has ever heard of or 2 guys who lost in the 2nd round of TUF?
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: NSAC considers 5 round non title fights.   NSAC considers 5 round non title fights. EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 7:14 pm

Ya I see your point but too often guys like Jon Jones and other up and comers I really like to see live are left in the lurch.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

PostSubject: Re: NSAC considers 5 round non title fights.   NSAC considers 5 round non title fights. EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 7:15 pm

Yeah there are trade off but ultimately you can go watch the undercard the next day. We'll never know what happens in round 4 or/and 5 of Franklin Hendo.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: NSAC considers 5 round non title fights.   NSAC considers 5 round non title fights. EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 7:18 pm

I like it that only title fights go that long. I like the idea of "championship rounds".
Back to top Go down
Ziggy116
Black Belt
Black Belt
Ziggy116

PostSubject: Re: NSAC considers 5 round non title fights.   NSAC considers 5 round non title fights. EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 8:10 pm

Look I don't think every single main event should be 5 rounds regardless but no one can say that there is never an instance where going into a fight you wouldn't want it to be a 5 rounder even if it's not for a title.
I can tell you right now I pray that Rampage Rashad is 5 rds. It wont be and it prolly wouldnt go that far but I'd love to see 5 rds of those 2.
Back to top Go down
Ziggy116
Black Belt
Black Belt
Ziggy116

PostSubject: Re: NSAC considers 5 round non title fights.   NSAC considers 5 round non title fights. EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 8:11 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
I like it that only title fights go that long. I like the idea of "championship rounds".

That is one arguement I agree with...I do like the idea of it.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: NSAC considers 5 round non title fights.   NSAC considers 5 round non title fights. EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 8:17 pm

Maybe official title eliminators and TUF championship bouts and coaches bouts. But random main events as five rounders, naw. Something of a championship caliber should be at stake.
Back to top Go down
Ziggy116
Black Belt
Black Belt
Ziggy116

PostSubject: Re: NSAC considers 5 round non title fights.   NSAC considers 5 round non title fights. EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 8:23 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Maybe official title eliminators and TUF championship bouts and coaches bouts. But random main events as five rounders, naw. Something of a championship caliber should be at stake.

That was pretty much my point.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: NSAC considers 5 round non title fights.   NSAC considers 5 round non title fights. EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 8:28 pm

Not tryin to steal ya thunder hot rod.
Back to top Go down
muayjitsu
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
muayjitsu

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wand, Thiago Alves, BJ Penn, Cain, Vitor, Tito, SHOGUN

PostSubject: Re: NSAC considers 5 round non title fights.   NSAC considers 5 round non title fights. EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 1:04 am

Farmer1906 wrote:
But wouldn't an addition 2 rounds of Franklin Silva be more entertaining than 2 guys no one has ever heard of or 2 guys who lost in the 2nd round of TUF?

Then we would have the same problem as boxing after all the big names and main eventers the up and comers are not well known be any casual fans and they won't pay to see them. Leave it as is.
Back to top Go down
chorky777
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Weidman, McGregor, Pettis, Cowboy

PostSubject: Re: NSAC considers 5 round non title fights.   NSAC considers 5 round non title fights. EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 6:59 am

Ziggy116 wrote:
Look I don't think every single main event should be 5 rounds regardless but no one can say that there is never an instance where going into a fight you wouldn't want it to be a 5 rounder even if it's not for a title.
I can tell you right now I pray that Rampage Rashad is 5 rds. It wont be and it prolly wouldnt go that far but I'd love to see 5 rds of those 2.

Uhhh.... what would make you think Rampage/Rashad's going anywhere near 5 rounds? I don't see it getting out of the first.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NSAC considers 5 round non title fights.   NSAC considers 5 round non title fights. EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 1:19 pm

2 years in the making.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NSAC considers 5 round non title fights.   NSAC considers 5 round non title fights. Empty

Back to top Go down

NSAC considers 5 round non title fights.
Page 1 of 1