Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

BS weigh in rule in Mass.

Go down 
+9
ohiovol62
Ludo
KingsOwn19
GDPofDRC
SOKO
killerofchicken
MMAEYES
OU
Farmer1906
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

BS weigh in rule in Mass. Empty
PostSubject: BS weigh in rule in Mass.   BS weigh in rule in Mass. EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 10:27 am

The Massachusetts "double weigh-in" provision calls for a fighter to be weighed in no more than 36 hours before his fight and again on the night of the fight. The fighter cannot weigh more than 1.0625 times his initial weight on the second weigh-in.

The formula means the higher the weight, the higher the allowable weight gain. For example, a fighter contracted to fight at 135 pounds can’t come in higher than 143.4375 pounds on fight night, 170 pounders cannot exceed 180.625, 205 pounders cannot exceed 217.8125 pounds, etc.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/3/11/1367799/massachusetts-state-athletic
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: BS weigh in rule in Mass.   BS weigh in rule in Mass. EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 10:44 am

that is fucking gay, looking at the calculations though it shouldn't be too bad for most fighters. Still that is GAY.
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, FEDOR, NICK DIAZ

PostSubject: Re: BS weigh in rule in Mass.   BS weigh in rule in Mass. EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 10:53 am

OUSOONERSOU wrote:
that is fucking gay, looking at the calculations though it shouldn't be too bad for most fighters. Still that is GAY.

I'll second that
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: BS weigh in rule in Mass.   BS weigh in rule in Mass. EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 10:58 am

wow thats some good ol' BS
Back to top Go down
SOKO
Black Belt
Black Belt
SOKO

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Dragon, Kenflo, Hendo, Guida, Ace, Wand, Cain, Carwin, Foreman, Evander, Oscar

PostSubject: Re: BS weigh in rule in Mass.   BS weigh in rule in Mass. EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 12:50 pm

yep its bs cause some guys can gain back a few pounds over the limit.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: BS weigh in rule in Mass.   BS weigh in rule in Mass. EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 12:54 pm

Is this the only state with this gay ass rule?
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: BS weigh in rule in Mass.   BS weigh in rule in Mass. EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 1:10 pm

Wow that really changes the game for a lot of serious fighters. Cutting weight is an art but this is like a double weigh in more or less.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: BS weigh in rule in Mass.   BS weigh in rule in Mass. EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 1:12 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
Wow that really changes the game for a lot of serious fighters. Cutting weight is an art but this is like a double weigh in more or less.

well only if they want to fight in Boston really bad, as far as I know they are the only state(Mass.) with this gay ass rule.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: BS weigh in rule in Mass.   BS weigh in rule in Mass. EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 1:13 pm

Looks like they are going to need an all HW card & BJ fighting at WW for Boston.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: BS weigh in rule in Mass.   BS weigh in rule in Mass. EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 1:14 pm

OUSOONERSOU wrote:
Is this the only state with this gay ass rule?

N.C. has a 13 lbs rule the article says. UFC FN will be going there in a couple of months.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: BS weigh in rule in Mass.   BS weigh in rule in Mass. EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 1:15 pm

Sounds like a no deal to me. It's lame where the monsters cut weight for the weigh in but come into the fight outweighing their opponent by 50 pounds...like Tito, Alves, Rumble. The only problem i see coming out of this, and granted i may be misunderstanding something is that guys really have to hydrate themselves and eat something after weigh ins...this can lead to weaker fighters on fight night. With how much it takes for these guys to cut weight, getting what they need post weigh ins is going to put a lot more weight than the acceptable amount on them. So they are still in weight cutting mode even after the weigh ins.

Chances are, we won't be seeing Brock Lesnar fighing in Mass. 265 on weigh in, 320 on fight night.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: BS weigh in rule in Mass.   BS weigh in rule in Mass. EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 1:23 pm

A lot of fighters cut most of their weight in the last 24 to 48 hours. The author gives the best idea of how MMA orgs can plan for this, by not scheduling monster weight cutters like Alves, AJ and so on for these cards.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

PostSubject: Re: BS weigh in rule in Mass.   BS weigh in rule in Mass. EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 1:26 pm

KingsOwn19 wrote:
Sounds like a no deal to me. It's lame where the monsters cut weight for the weigh in but come into the fight outweighing their opponent by 50 pounds...like Tito, Alves, Rumble. The only problem i see coming out of this, and granted i may be misunderstanding something is that guys really have to hydrate themselves and eat something after weigh ins...this can lead to weaker fighters on fight night. With how much it takes for these guys to cut weight, getting what they need post weigh ins is going to put a lot more weight than the acceptable amount on them. So they are still in weight cutting mode even after the weigh ins.

Chances are, we won't be seeing Brock Lesnar fighing in Mass. 265 on weigh in, 320 on fight night.

Brock should be good. He cuts to 265. He'd have to make 281.5. I'd guess that is about normal for Brock for a fight.

The rule shouldn't affect HW.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: BS weigh in rule in Mass.   BS weigh in rule in Mass. EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 1:38 pm

Yeah I don't know where the 265 at weigh in and 320 on fight night is coming from...
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: BS weigh in rule in Mass.   BS weigh in rule in Mass. EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 1:48 pm

I'd bet that Brock comes in on fight night weighing over 300 pounds. Thats where it comes from.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

PostSubject: Re: BS weigh in rule in Mass.   BS weigh in rule in Mass. EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 1:57 pm

KingsOwn19 wrote:
I'd bet that Brock comes in on fight night weighing over 300 pounds. Thats where it comes from.

Before his surgery, he was about 283-5 (if I remember correctly) about a month out before UFC 100.
Back to top Go down
ohiovol62
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
ohiovol62

Favorite Fighter(s) : Sakuraba, Fedor, GSP, and Big Nog

PostSubject: Re: BS weigh in rule in Mass.   BS weigh in rule in Mass. EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 2:00 pm

I don't have a problem with it. Alves had to be atleast 200 when he fought GSP. A weight class is a class for a reason. Brock coming in at 300+ is pushing the line a little IMO. If you're a natural 190 or 195 and want to cut to 170 you should be 170 or close to it on fight night. Otherwise you're a 185 guy. The great fighters wouldn't have a problem with this. I think even BJ wouldn't have as big a problem as some you guys think. Just the guys who would get beat up in a higher weight class and want to cheat the system. Rumble and Alves come to mind, maybe Forrest too. I know I'm in the minority here but it just always bugged me a little. JMO
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

PostSubject: Re: BS weigh in rule in Mass.   BS weigh in rule in Mass. EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 2:02 pm

Well maybe...but i've also heard that Brock has to start weight cuts a lot sooner than most because he walks around wekk over 300. We've seen Tito put on what? 90 pounds just hours after the weigh in? Brock's a big motherfucker...he weighs a lot more than 280 come fight time in my humble opinion.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

PostSubject: Re: BS weigh in rule in Mass.   BS weigh in rule in Mass. EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 2:24 pm

Farmer1906 wrote:
KingsOwn19 wrote:

Before his surgery, he was about 283-5 (if I remember correctly) about a month out before UFC 100.

Found it

Dana's Twitter: Brock is at 285 right now
5:44 PM Jun 24th, 2009 via web
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: BS weigh in rule in Mass.   BS weigh in rule in Mass. EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 2:47 pm

90 pounds in just hours after the weigh ins... Ridiculousness. Thats not possible. 80% of your body is water. Tito putting on 90lbs between weigh ins and fight time means he'd be weighing about 295 in all. Which means he put 11 gallons of water back on in a few hours. Drinking more than 4 gallons in a day can cause whats called "Water Intoxication". Healthy adult kidneys are capable of processing 15 liters of water or almost 4 U.S. gallons per day, if one drinks the water in small quantities spread throughout the entire day.

So to claim Tito put on 90 lbs in a few hours is horse shit. Not only would he have died long before it, even if he did half that he'd be in no condition to fight the next day.

As far as Brock being a big motherfucker, he is. The problem with thinking he comes in over 300lbs on fight night is that the guys he fought weren't anywhere near his size so the comparison can get skewed. Mir weighed 240-250 when they fought, Randy around 225, Herring about 240-250ish. It's clear Brock outweighed them all by a significant margin, but I doubt he could pack on 55+lbs between weigh ins and fight time comfortably to get to 320. He definitely comes in somewhere between 285-295 though which is still very big.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

PostSubject: Re: BS weigh in rule in Mass.   BS weigh in rule in Mass. EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 3:21 pm

LudoCain wrote:
90 pounds in just hours after the weigh ins... Ridiculousness. Thats not possible. 80% of your body is water. Tito putting on 90lbs between weigh ins and fight time means he'd be weighing about 295 in all. Which means he put 11 gallons of water back on in a few hours. Drinking more than 4 gallons in a day can cause whats called "Water Intoxication". Healthy adult kidneys are capable of processing 15 liters of water or almost 4 U.S. gallons per day, if one drinks the water in small quantities spread throughout the entire day.

So to claim Tito put on 90 lbs in a few hours is horse shit. Not only would he have died long before it, even if he did half that he'd be in no condition to fight the next day.

As far as Brock being a big motherfucker, he is. The problem with thinking he comes in over 300lbs on fight night is that the guys he fought weren't anywhere near his size so the comparison can get skewed. Mir weighed 240-250 when they fought, Randy around 225, Herring about 240-250ish. It's clear Brock outweighed them all by a significant margin, but I doubt he could pack on 55+lbs between weigh ins and fight time comfortably to get to 320. He definitely comes in somewhere between 285-295 though which is still very big.

Your right about one thing. It was not 90 pounds. Total exaggeration. Tito Ortiz weighed in at 251 pounds just SIX HOURS after weighing in at 205 at UFC 106. It's very possible Brock walks into the cage well over 300 if Tito Burrito can put on 46 in just 6 hours. Considering Brock relies heavily(no pun intended) on his weight and strength advanage, i would not be the least bit surprised if he had the Tito Ortiz post weigh in diet. I did not pull it out of the air...there is visual evidence that Tito put on 46 pounds in 6 hours.

When you cut weight..especially A LOT OF WEIGHT like Brock Alves, Tito and you start drinking water and eating food a lot after weigh ins...which they do because they need to. The weight goes up real fast. I've been able to cut 5 pounds in less than an hour and put on 5 pounds in less than an hour while cutting weight or putting weight back on for tournaments.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: BS weigh in rule in Mass.   BS weigh in rule in Mass. EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 3:48 pm

Please note that this is a lame ass attempt to have 2 weigh-ins, thus the need for more unionized staff, making a lot of money standing around talking to Sulley on the cellphone.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: BS weigh in rule in Mass.   BS weigh in rule in Mass. EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 8:10 pm

KingsOwn19 wrote:
LudoCain wrote:

Your right about one thing. It was not 90 pounds. Total exaggeration. Tito Ortiz weighed in at 251 pounds just SIX HOURS after weighing in at 205 at UFC 106. It's very possible Brock walks into the cage well over 300 if Tito Burrito can put on 46 in just 6 hours. Considering Brock relies heavily(no pun intended) on his weight and strength advanage, i would not be the least bit surprised if he had the Tito Ortiz post weigh in diet. I did not pull it out of the air...there is visual evidence that Tito put on 46 pounds in 6 hours.

When you cut weight..especially A LOT OF WEIGHT like Brock Alves, Tito and you start drinking water and eating food a lot after weigh ins...which they do because they need to. The weight goes up real fast. I've been able to cut 5 pounds in less than an hour and put on 5 pounds in less than an hour while cutting weight or putting weight back on for tournaments.

Do you honestly think it is possible for a fighter to consume, no wait any human on earth to consume 46 lbs of food and liquids in a day let alone 6 hours? Have you ever watched Man vs Food? My friend you can't be serious? I am mindboggled by your comments. I don't even think Tito ever weighed 250lbs? Although that is possible if he got fat after six months of eating like crazy.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: BS weigh in rule in Mass.   BS weigh in rule in Mass. EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 8:12 pm

I think Tito was putting us on there buddy.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

PostSubject: Re: BS weigh in rule in Mass.   BS weigh in rule in Mass. EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 8:12 pm

lol, that video was posted six hours after the weigh ins. Why would he fake putting on 46 pounds?

His third round cardio suggested he put on the feedbag the night before.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BS weigh in rule in Mass.   BS weigh in rule in Mass. Empty

Back to top Go down

BS weigh in rule in Mass.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next