Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Torres looked like.....

Go down 
+5
KingsOwn19
Ninja
Wolfgangsta
LA
captain organic
9 posters
AuthorMessage
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

Torres looked like..... Empty
PostSubject: Torres looked like.....   Torres looked like..... EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 8:54 pm

a broken fighter out there. He was a warrior not too long ago, now he can't take a shot to save his life. Looked scared to engage. Bowles broke his psyche, he could use some time off.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Torres looked like.....   Torres looked like..... EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 9:02 pm

No he's just been exposed as not as good as previously thought
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Torres looked like.....   Torres looked like..... EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 9:07 pm

Not a black and white issue here LA.

I'd say it's both. He fought like Crocop does.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Torres looked like.....   Torres looked like..... EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 9:09 pm

tolivendiewithLA wrote:

The guy I saw last night looked nothing like the guy who went to war with the Jap's and totally busted up Tapia.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Torres looked like.....   Torres looked like..... EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 9:09 pm

tolivendiewithLA wrote:
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Torres looked like.....   Torres looked like..... EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 9:10 pm

Yes he looked a little gun shy, but at the time was never as good as he was thought to be/
Back to top Go down
Ninja
Administrator
Administrator
Ninja

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone with the last name Rua or Emelianenko and Uncle Creepy

PostSubject: Re: Torres looked like.....   Torres looked like..... EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 9:18 pm

captain organic wrote:
tolivendiewithLA wrote:

The guy I saw last night looked nothing like the guy who went to war with the Jap's and totally busted up Tapia.

Maybe because now he is actually facing fighters with skills? The best fighter at 135 he fought in his WEC reign was Mizugaki who clearly beat him in the first 2 rounds than gassed out. His constant pressuring doesn't work well against fighters who could counter punch and have power in their hands. Also his major deficiency in wrestling is finally catching up to him.
Back to top Go down
https://ninjasplace.forumotion.net
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Torres looked like.....   Torres looked like..... EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 9:30 pm

Torres is a vet and has had 40 career fights. I think people are jumping the gun saying he is overrated, maybe his career is just winding down. The division didnt get any attention until they guy was already deep in his career...i think it cheapens what Brian Bowles and Joseph Benavidez have accomplished by defeating him. Torres is an excellent well rounded fighter and he's a big time matchup for anybody who faces him. Just another case of a guy is godly, until he loses and then he is overrated.

I didnt think he looked bad against Benavidez. Just Benavidez looked really good and there was not shit Miguel could do once he got busted open...i believe him when he said he could not see or breath after it. It was a mess. He'll be back.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Torres looked like.....   Torres looked like..... EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 10:04 pm

Quote :
The division didnt get any attention until they guy was already deep in his career...i think it cheapens what Brian Bowles and Joseph Benavidez have accomplished by defeating him.

First part isn't true. Torres' entire career was beating East Indiana natives who currently have 0-1 career records at a local show until around 2007. Ninja and LA are on to something. I've been arguing this since Bowles beat him too.

Second part is true though. While Torres was overrated, he did rack up four good WEC wins and is a well rounded and talented fighter.

I don't think admitting he was over rated and has a padded record means he isn't a good fighter and wasn't a good champion.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Torres looked like.....   Torres looked like..... EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 10:37 pm

I thought he looked rough last night but I lean towards what Ninja said it is just a step up in competition.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Torres looked like.....   Torres looked like..... EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 11:35 pm

I thought Mizugaki was going to beat Torres and was wrong, but Mizugaki gave him alot of trouble early, I am agreeing with LA on this one, he just isnt a top 10 fighter P4P like some of us thought, he is still a good fighter but one that has peaked IMO.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Torres looked like.....   Torres looked like..... EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 11:50 pm

Maybe he has peaked. How fast the champions fall in MMA.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Torres looked like.....   Torres looked like..... EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 12:24 am

you guys factor this in also

11 INCH REACH DISADVANTAGE FOR BENAVIDEZ

he got inside like it was nothing not a good sign for Torres' future
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: Torres looked like.....   Torres looked like..... EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 12:39 am

Thats because Torres wasn't using his jab for shit in the first. He just stood there waiting for Benevidez to do something and by the time he tasted it he didn't want anymore. He got too confidant in his ground game from the bottom and didn't respect the top game for Benevidez at all. By the time he got busted open the fight was already over for him because he couldn't do anything. Benevidez was faster, stronger, the one getting better strikes in, and working harder on the ground. Torres got outclassed.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Torres looked like.....   Torres looked like..... EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 10:57 am

Damn the fighter I loved is long gone. I don't even know who this guy is. It is way more then just being "exposed". Something happened to Torres, the greatness died. IMO it wasn't a myth, he just doesn't have "it" anymore. Don't even care if I see him fight again.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Torres looked like.....   Torres looked like..... EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 3:06 pm

LudoCain[b] wrote:
Thats because Torres wasn't using his jab for shit in the first. He just stood there waiting for Benevidez to do something and by the time he tasted it he didn't want anymore.[/b] He got too confidant in his ground game from the bottom and didn't respect the top game for Benevidez at all. By the time he got busted open the fight was already over for him because he couldn't do anything. Benevidez was faster, stronger, the one getting better strikes in, and working harder on the ground. Torres got outclassed.

Plus fucking one. I know the jab is the most underused weapon in MMA, and that fght was the posterchild for it. Torres had a huge height and reach adv yet keeps the jab in it's holster almost the entire fight.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: Torres looked like.....   Torres looked like..... EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 3:28 pm

Well he is well known for using it. Hell he broke Yoshiro Maeda's orbital with it over the course of four or five rounds(I can't remember which round they stopped it at when Maeda's eye was swollen shut). I can't understand why he didn't use it here against a guy he had almost a foot in reach advantage on. He has the kind of jab that snaps you out of concentration, why in the hell didn't he lay it down on the Mini Matt Serra look alike?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Torres looked like.....   Torres looked like..... Empty

Back to top Go down

Torres looked like.....
Page 1 of 1