Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

UFC to counter SF in April.

Go down 
+7
Wolfgangsta
MMAEYES
GDPofDRC
Farmer1906
acccardinal12
OU
captain organic
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

UFC to counter SF in April. Empty
PostSubject: UFC to counter SF in April.   UFC to counter SF in April. EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 2:44 pm

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/UFC-Planning-Strikeforce-Counter-April-17-23052

Pretty late to be setting up a show. If it's on Showtime, spike will have the advantage.

Edit, that's the CBS show? I see SF with a pretty big advantage, that card looks pretty good, and has names UFC fans are familiar with. Though I guess Dana is trying to give CBS something t think about.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: UFC to counter SF in April.   UFC to counter SF in April. EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 2:47 pm

Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: UFC to counter SF in April.   UFC to counter SF in April. EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 2:53 pm

Yeah counter with Swick vs Serra??? UFC better put another fight on the card with a big name. I will wait until the next day to watch the UFC card if that is the best they can do. Two WW fighters that may be near the top ten vs 3 title fights. C'mon DW what are you thinking?

Not even Manpudding would watch that over SF.

Last edited by bigbeastcardinal12 on Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: UFC to counter SF in April.   UFC to counter SF in April. EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 2:53 pm

Ha, I'm behind the times yet again. And there it is like 4 posts below.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: UFC to counter SF in April.   UFC to counter SF in April. EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 2:55 pm

captain organic wrote:
Ha, I'm behind the times yet again. And there it is like 4 posts below.

It's okay! Makes us look busy you know. lol
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: UFC to counter SF in April.   UFC to counter SF in April. EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 2:57 pm

bigbeastcardinal12 wrote:
Yeah counter with Swick vs Serra??? UFC better put another fight on the card with a big name. I will wait until the next day to watch the UFC card if that is the best they can do. Two WW fighters that may be near the top ten vs 3 title fights. C'mon DW what are you thinking?

Not even Manpudding would watch that over SF.

Serra vs Swick? Wow. Now that's a half assed attempt.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: UFC to counter SF in April.   UFC to counter SF in April. EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 3:02 pm

Swick is hurt. He won't be fighting.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: UFC to counter SF in April.   UFC to counter SF in April. EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 3:03 pm

It is going to have Kimbo and Toney on it. That alone is enough to take all of SF's steam away.

What is ESPN going to talk about? Unknowns on SF/CBS or famous boxers and the "street" legend?
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

PostSubject: Re: UFC to counter SF in April.   UFC to counter SF in April. EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 3:04 pm

Dave was saying the following on The Underground early this morning.:

James Toney will make his MMA debut April 17th against Kimbo Slice at Vanderbilt Arena in Tennessee. Mike Swick will fight Matt Serra in the main event.

The fight would air on Spike TV, according to the rumor.

With the Strikeforce card happening the same night, in the same state, this constitutes the first real nuclear bomb that Dana White and Zuffa would drop on their organization, should it be true.

I had Yahoo's Kevin Iole on my radio show just a few minutes ago, and asked him about the rumor. His response: "I think you hit a home run with that one, that's what I've been hearing."
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: UFC to counter SF in April.   UFC to counter SF in April. EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 3:06 pm

I hate Serra having to face another guy coming off a loss, even if it was to a top contender. Scratch that, back to back loses. I think Serra deserves a guy on a little better streak. I would rather see Serra vs Paulo Thiago. Give Swick someone like Condit for his next fight.

Last edited by OUSOONERSOU on Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: UFC to counter SF in April.   UFC to counter SF in April. EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 3:08 pm

Farmer1906 wrote:
Dave was saying the following on The Underground early this morning.:

James Toney will make his MMA debut April 17th against Kimbo Slice at Vanderbilt Arena in Tennessee. Mike Swick will fight Matt Serra in the main event.

The fight would air on Spike TV, according to the rumor.

With the Strikeforce card happening the same night, in the same state, this constitutes the first real nuclear bomb that Dana White and Zuffa would drop on their organization, should it be true.

I had Yahoo's Kevin Iole on my radio show just a few minutes ago, and asked him about the rumor. His response: "I think you hit a home run with that one, that's what I've been hearing."

That sounds good to me and I agree with you. Serra Swick alone wouldn't have been damaging. Great work Farmer! You get a plus!
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: UFC to counter SF in April.   UFC to counter SF in April. EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 3:19 pm

That's pretty big news, but UFC still gets tivo'd. It would of taken the Wandi/Akiyama with the other two UFC possibilities (swick/serra with Kimbo/james) for it to be a debate as to which event I watched live. The Strikeforce event I would think still demands MMA fans attention more so then the special attraction UFC fight. But in all likely hood UFC will make quite a killing in viewers for this free fight.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, FEDOR, NICK DIAZ

PostSubject: Re: UFC to counter SF in April.   UFC to counter SF in April. EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 3:27 pm

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=10888&zoneid=2

Check this out guys. The ufc fight night might actually happen in TN as well. Also SF may move the CBS card to the 24th instead. This is heating up I wonder how this is all gonna play out?
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: UFC to counter SF in April.   UFC to counter SF in April. EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 3:35 pm

Coker said CBS wanted to play nice and not counter the WEC, but now they're looking to possibly do that considering the UFC has countered the earlier April date.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif

PostSubject: Re: UFC to counter SF in April.   UFC to counter SF in April. EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 4:29 pm

I hate when networks and organisations counter each others shows. Already have to deal with this crap in boxing between Showtime and HBO.
Back to top Go down
muayjitsu
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
muayjitsu

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wand, Thiago Alves, BJ Penn, Cain, Vitor, Tito, SHOGUN

PostSubject: Re: UFC to counter SF in April.   UFC to counter SF in April. EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 5:08 pm

These things really don't make a difference anymore. Thank god for DVR. lol
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: UFC to counter SF in April.   UFC to counter SF in April. EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 6:54 pm

If SF woants to try and counter anything, nut up and go head to head with the UFC, countering the WEC does nothing.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: UFC to counter SF in April.   UFC to counter SF in April. EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 7:58 pm

tolivendiewithLA wrote:
If SF woants to try and counter anything, nut up and go head to head with the UFC, countering the WEC does nothing.

I'll agree in that they should not shy away from what looks like a fairly weak card. I'll disagree in that if UFC wants to whack dudes in the shins, then switching dates and going up against a ppv WEC card would be a smart cut throat move.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: UFC to counter SF in April.   UFC to counter SF in April. EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 8:21 pm

I just don't see how people think countering the WEC is a good move, the WEC PPV failing could very well lead to a merger, the UFC would have such a ridiculous stable of fighters at that point, not seeing how that helps SF.

WEC fighters outside of Faber would become bigger names when more people see them fight. I don't think it would be long for those unfamiliar with the FWs and BWs became big fans after seeing how exciting and talented some of them are.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: UFC to counter SF in April.   UFC to counter SF in April. EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 9:03 pm

tolivendiewithLA wrote:
I just don't see how people think countering the WEC is a good move, the WEC PPV failing could very well lead to a merger, the UFC would have such a ridiculous stable of fighters at that point, not seeing how that helps SF.

WEC fighters outside of Faber would become bigger names when more people see them fight. I don't think it would be long for those unfamiliar with the FWs and BWs became big fans after seeing how exciting and talented some of them are.

Maybe I don't see the big picture clearly enough, but I tend to think that if a fan is familiar with the UFC, then they are familiar with the WEC. And given the current size of the UFC, and the # of huge stars I don't see a merger as a huge boon for the UFC, maybe 4 big name guys are added to the mix.

While I've been a proponent of the merger, I think TV considerations have held it back, 2 org's, 2 networks. Now UFC on Vs that clouds my theory, but I can't see Spike being ecstatic with the UFC hosting such a stacked card on another network, or assuming a merger, holding multiple events on another network. Yet Zuffa wants to hold onto Vs as well.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: UFC to counter SF in April.   UFC to counter SF in April. EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 9:10 pm

A part of that is to keep a good relationship with Comcast, who is in the process or has bought NBC (I forgot). They demanded UFC shows on Vs. as part of the new contract. If anything, after a merger the UFC would put shows on both stations, Spike and Vs., and eventally move from Vs. to NBC.

Part of all this WEC PPV and UFC shows on Vs. is all a feeling out process IMO.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: UFC to counter SF in April.   UFC to counter SF in April. EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 9:55 pm

UFC merging with WEC means more shows more frequently. They can then effectually step on the neck of Strikeforce with one huge star powered card or two. You really think more people want to see Fedor vs Werdum than Faber/Aldo, Anderson Silva, Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, GSP, or Cain/Mir/Carwin/Lesnar?

Strikeforce is still trying to grow. UFC has them in thier sights now and they will start fucking with them at every turn if they can.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: UFC to counter SF in April.   UFC to counter SF in April. EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 9:59 pm

Hard to sort the whole situation out for sure. But one has to wonder the intent and goal regarding a couple things.

1)If they want to merge, why would it take a SF counter progam to make it happen?

2)If a merger is a goal what is the point of a WEC ppv? I would think such an event be an attempt at a) making $$$, and b)to test the viability of future events.

3)Is it that simple to divy up events from a single org to two different TV stations?

4)If it is relatively easy to divy up shows, why not merge? Outside of the TV deals, I can not figure out why they do not merge.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: UFC to counter SF in April.   UFC to counter SF in April. EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 10:04 pm

LudoCain wrote:
UFC merging with WEC means more shows more frequently. They can then effectually step on the neck of Strikeforce with one huge star powered card or two. You really think more people want to see Fedor vs Werdum than Faber/Aldo, Anderson Silva, Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, GSP, or Cain/Mir/Carwin/Lesnar?

Strikeforce is still trying to grow. UFC has them in thier sights now and they will start fucking with them at every turn if they can.

The UFC can do that now. They are only adding 4 big name fighters by a merger. I don't think SF see's the UFC as that much more formidable if they add 135, and 145.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: UFC to counter SF in April.   UFC to counter SF in April. EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 11:13 pm

tolivendiewithLA wrote:

LOL LA. The UFC will absorb the WEC either way, and that won't hinge on what Strikeforce does either way in all reality.

Counting the WEC will take many multiples of 50 dollars out of Zuffa's pocket, and would allow them to go essentially unchallenged, commanding a healthy percentage of the viewers.

If they go up against Kimbo and Wanderlei, they lose a significant share of both hardcore and casual fans, all Japanese coverage and interest, and would probably suffer from less stateside coverage too. Bad, bad idea.

As a promoter, you always like it if, you know, people actually see your fights.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: UFC to counter SF in April.   UFC to counter SF in April. Empty

Back to top Go down

UFC to counter SF in April.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next