Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?

Go down 
+10
Ninja
timthebim
chorky777
ohiovol62
MMAEYES
oggy420
Andrew the Raider King
Farmer1906
Wolfgangsta
LA
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Ninja
Administrator
Administrator
Ninja

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone with the last name Rua or Emelianenko and Uncle Creepy

Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?   Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 7:54 pm

timthebim wrote:
Overrated- Werdum, Dan Hardy, Shane Carwin, Brock Lesnar, and Jardine.

Underrated- Alan Belcher, CB Dollaway, Thiago Silva, and Roy Nelson.

I like this list except I would switch CB and Werdum.
Back to top Go down
https://ninjasplace.forumotion.net
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?   Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 8:01 pm

Overrated: Shane Carwin, Kenny Florian, Shinya Aoki, Michael Bisping, Robbie Lawler and.....Randy Couture(yeah, i said it)

Underrated: Fabricio Werdum, Frank Edgar, Andrei Arlovski, Junior Dos Santos, Aleks Emelianenko, Gilbert Melendez, Antonio Silva, Dan Hornbuckle
Back to top Go down
NoRegret
Red Belt
Red Belt
NoRegret

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone that comes to FIGHT!

PostSubject: Re: Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?   Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 8:39 pm

I like alotta these lists. Good thread by the OP. Here is my list from what I believe to be the overrated and underrated fighters.

Overrated: Kimbo Slice (by the noobish fans), Brock Lesnar, Gabriel Gonzaga, Jake Shields, Michael Bisping, Dan Hardy, Chris Leben, Randy Couture

Underrated: Thiago Silva, Josh Koscheck, Nate Marquardt, Cain Velasquez, Chael Sonnen, Antonio Silva, Frank Edgar

Tried to add a few different names that some people may not have put, but alotta em I see eye to eye on.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?   Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 29, 2009 2:20 am

I like your lists a lot NoRegret but who underrates Thiago Silva, a guy who has one top ten win, over Jardine, which in retrospect probably isn't that amazing of a win?
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?   Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 29, 2009 2:51 am

Nice pick with Belcher Oggy

I'm gonna comment on some of the picks, because well, this is a discussion board.

Who said Big Nog and Rampage are overrated? What?

Antonio Silva isn't that good, Carwin would maul him

And Werdum, eh, he hasn't looked that good in his last two fights, think he's about right where he is, somewhere between 9-14
Back to top Go down
GolbeZ
Administrator
Administrator
GolbeZ

Favorite Fighter(s) : Condit, Machida, Aldo, Bendo, KJ Noons, Dominick Cruz The Praying Mantis

PostSubject: Re: Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?   Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 29, 2009 3:24 am

chorky777 wrote:
One for each division:
Overrated: Aoki, Shields, Nick Diaz, Rampage, Nogueira
Underrated: Alvarez, McLovin, apparently Maia which I'll get to, Bones, Cigano

totally agree with dustin .. but how is bones underrated? If anything, he has been hyped up big time (not saying he isn't legit) .. hell Combat had him ranked in the top10 LHWs after the Bonnar fight.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?   Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 29, 2009 1:19 pm

tolivendiewithLA wrote:

I'm gonna comment on some of the picks, because well, this is a discussion board.

And Werdum, eh, he hasn't looked that good in his last two fights, think he's about right where he is, somewhere between 9-14

Good point my man.
Back to top Go down
chorky777
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Weidman, McGregor, Pettis, Cowboy

PostSubject: Re: Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?   Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 29, 2009 2:11 pm

GolbeZ wrote:
chorky777 wrote:
One for each division:

totally agree with dustin .. but how is bones underrated? If anything, he has been hyped up big time (not saying he isn't legit) .. hell Combat had him ranked in the top10 LHWs after the Bonnar fight.
Oooops. I meant for Bones to be overrated. I don't think he's half as good as a lot of people think he is.
Back to top Go down
ohiovol62
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
ohiovol62

Favorite Fighter(s) : Sakuraba, Fedor, GSP, and Big Nog

PostSubject: Re: Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?   Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 29, 2009 2:25 pm

Andrew the Raider King wrote:
tolivendiewithLA wrote:

Good point my man.

lol. Yeah when I saw Big Nog as overrated I got sad. Ditto with Big foot
Back to top Go down
chorky777
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?   Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 29, 2009 2:30 pm

tolivendiewithLA wrote:

I said Big Nog and Rampage are overrated. Rampage to me is not top 5, and almost every major site has him at number 3 and above Forrest Griffin. I'm sorry, but knocking out Jardine and Wandy doesn't make you better than a guy who beat you and then lost to a couple of fighters who are 10 times better than you. Seriously, I'll take Machida, Rashad, Anderson, Shogun, Lil' Nog, Thiago, Forrest, and Mousasi in a fight against Rampage any day. As for Big Nog, I just don't think he's had a particularly impressive win in a reeeeeal long time. I can't help but feel that he'd get worked by a lot of the younger guys in the division. Pretty much my same problem with Rampage. These guys are passing for top 3 guys in their division without any recent wins that are all that good.
Back to top Go down
GolbeZ
Administrator
Administrator
GolbeZ

Favorite Fighter(s) : Condit, Machida, Aldo, Bendo, KJ Noons, Dominick Cruz The Praying Mantis

PostSubject: Re: Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?   Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 29, 2009 10:45 pm

chorky777 wrote:
GolbeZ wrote:
chorky777 wrote:
One for each division:

Oooops. I meant for Bones to be overrated. I don't think he's half as good as a lot of people think he is.

I would definitely agree more with him being overrated than underrated.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?   Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 30, 2009 1:19 am

Bones isn't underrated or overrated. That dude is a truly special talent. He is right where he belongs.
Back to top Go down
GolbeZ
Administrator
Administrator
GolbeZ

PostSubject: Re: Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?   Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 30, 2009 1:38 am

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Bones isn't underrated or overrated. That dude is a truly special talent. He is right where he belongs.

didnt say he was either .. but if i had to pick one it would be overrated.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?   Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 30, 2009 1:42 am

Bones is legit, he is truly one of the more impressive young talents in MMA, and still has much to learn, He tossed Hammil like it was nothing, and nobody had done something like that to Hammill yet, Munoz couldn't even move Hammil. He's also a good striker and has impecable timing.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?   Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 30, 2009 11:31 am

tolivendiewithLA wrote:
Ur so predictable, while I do agree with Overreem, Jacare has really improved his striking and Maia minus getting KTFO by the 2nd best MW in the World is extremely talented and due to his single strength, a problem for almost anyone. Brock we very well know isn't overrated, u just have to stick to ur persona much like Raiders has to stick to his Fedor hating one. And despite some good points with ur Underrated, comeback with a real choice.

So Maia get's KO'd instantaneously by the 2nd best MW(which in itself is very arguable) and he gets defended, but Rogers, who has a much better win then anything on Maia's record, and battles Fedor, pretty well known as the p4p GOAT, for a round and a half, and loses more for lack of stamina then anything else and he becomes your #1 over rated?
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?   Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 30, 2009 6:16 pm

Rogers has a fluke flash KO win against AA, I'm sure AA took the fight lightly, not to mention he has a horrile chin. All Rogers did was land a jab 10 seconds into the fight against Fedor, it happened to hit him in the nose and break it, which slowed him down some, this he battled bullshit is laughable. The guy is the most overrated fight in the World right now, but I know u try to hype ur SF as much as possible.

Nate would beat Hendo at this point, but he's anywhere from 2-3 any way u look at it.

Just a quick question, is Rogers a World class striker, as Maia is World class in BJJ?
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?   Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 1:22 am

Is there anyone that world class at HW coming out these days? Not comparable. Rogers is a good talent, and is no different than the majority of the UFC's young guns. For the record however, I think he is overrated slightly, along with Lesnar, Duffee, Carwin and JDS. No other division is so starved a bunch of guys with 1999 skillsets in relation to other divisions can come in and dominate off the bat.

Maybe I need to just get over the fact you can be a freakish oaf with big muscles, a nine foot wing span and a teeny weeny little brain like Sylvia and Lesnar and still compete with the best fighters in the world.

Just how HW is...
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?   Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 2:18 am

Lesnar and Carwin were both top college wrestlers, the best platform for MMA

JDS is still I think the Brazilian HW Kickboxing Champ, he also trains with Nog, Anderson and Maia I believe
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?   Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 8:31 pm

Rogers is a very big guy with very big power, and as he shown vs Fedor he is credible on the ground. He not only survived being taken to the mat vs Fedor, and not many thought he would do that, but he actually rolled Fedor taking top position.

You can argue away his win anyway you like but again, the fact is he KO'd AA. It happened. It's a better win then any Maia has on his record. I only compare him to Maia because you have Rogers as your overated, while you talk up Maia.

And please on the SF hype stuff.
Back to top Go down
chorky777
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?   Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 8:46 pm

Rogers having a better win than Maia doesn't make him more or less of an overrated fighter. Paulo Thiago has as good of a win as anyone, yet he's been put on a few overrated lists.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?   Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 01, 2010 12:44 pm

chorky777 wrote:
Rogers having a better win than Maia doesn't make him more or less of an overrated fighter. Paulo Thiago has as good of a win as anyone, yet he's been put on a few overrated lists.

Is Koscheck as good a win as AA? Former UFC title holder?

And while thiago's KO of Kos could be seen as a Fluke(he only has one other KO in his career), I don't see how rogers could be seen as such. He knock's dudes out all the time, 9 of his 10 wins(the other being submission from punches) are from KO's.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?   Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 02, 2010 3:45 am

Capt Organic with a great case here.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?   Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 02, 2010 4:55 am

Rogers scored a fluke 10 second KO against a top HW, that also happens to have a weak chin, his other wins/KOs are against a bunch of nobodies. He's not a high level a striker like someother notable HW's, he simply a big guy who throws his hands, I think Yvel would take him out, amongst many others. But Strikeforce doesn't really have the HWs to expose him outside of Fedor or Overeem; Silva isn't that good, Lashley has wrestling but struggled with Jason Guida, and Werdum is a 9-14 HW, but is just as likely to get rocked against someone like Mike Kyle as he is to sub a guy like Rogers. And Wolfy claims that HW Strikers are a thing of the past, so not sure why he'd contradict his owns opinions by thinking Rogers is legit.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?   Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 02, 2010 5:13 am

Rogers size is what sets him apart from smaller strikers, also his ground game from what we have seen of it looks decent, and the fact he isn't in the UFC where a bunch of bad match ups await him. Maybe you're right about him, because against stronger wrestlers and BJJ blackbelts that also throw heavy sloppy bombs like Gonzaga, Carwin and such he might run into trouble.

We need to see his takedown defense tested more to be sure. That is the problem with a lot of these arguments, we're debating fighters on issues where no data exists to grade them.

While I see traditional pure strikers/kickboxer-turned-mma fighters in the mold of Mo Smith, Pedro Rizzo, Crocop, JDS and Kongo as fighters who won't do well against the tide of young(well, as "young" as a bunch of rookie 30+ guys can be)UFC wrestlers, the fact that big boys like to stand and trade as opposed to grapple means that a big assed dude like Rogers could still compete if he is able to get good takedown defense.

I am curious to see how the next cycle of fights plays out and if my dinosaur striker theory is supported.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?   Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 02, 2010 5:22 am

Pretty good argument, I still have many questions, and very questionable belief in him, I love to see him against another talented striker (not AA or AA again maybe) and a good wrestler
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?   Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2