Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Is BJ Penn overrated?

Go down 
+4
Bigs03
OU
killerofchicken
Andrew the Raider King
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

Is BJ Penn overrated? Empty
PostSubject: Is BJ Penn overrated?   Is BJ Penn overrated? EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 10:50 am

I noticed when I was seeing how is training is coming along for his fight, that he is 6-5 in his last 11 fights. Granted all the losses were against top flight fighters, but it does show inconsistency.
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: Is BJ Penn overrated?   Is BJ Penn overrated? EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 10:54 am

he only lost 1 fight in his WC, so if you want to overrate him as a WW, yah sure that works
but he is the best LW in history no doubt!
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Is BJ Penn overrated?   Is BJ Penn overrated? EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 11:00 am

5-1 in the UFC at LW since 2007. Best LW in the world. Top 10(prob even top 5) WW if he wanted to fight there. Top 5 P4P fighter in the world.
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: Is BJ Penn overrated?   Is BJ Penn overrated? EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 11:03 am

OUSOONERSOU wrote:
5-1 in the UFC at LW since 2007. Best LW in the world. Top 10(prob even top 5) WW if he wanted to fight there. Top 5 P4P fighter in the world.
OVERRATED? No
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Is BJ Penn overrated?   Is BJ Penn overrated? EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 11:03 am

How can anyone hold a loss to Machida at LHW against BJ? He lost to Machida, GSP(2x), Hughes and Frankie. 2 of those 3 loses being razor thin dec.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

Favorite Fighter(s) : Fedor and GSP

PostSubject: Re: Is BJ Penn overrated?   Is BJ Penn overrated? EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 11:15 am

I think he used to be overrated, when people thought he would move to WW and dominate GSP. Now, people have more realistic expectations for him. He's definitely a top 3 LW in the world. I disagree that he's top 5 p4p, though.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Is BJ Penn overrated?   Is BJ Penn overrated? EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 11:18 am

Bigs03 wrote:
I think he used to be overrated, when people thought he would move to WW and dominate GSP. Now, people have more realistic expectations for him. He's definitely a top 3 LW in the world. I disagree that he's top 5 p4p, though.

Top 3? Name 1 LW in the world with a more impressive LW run over the last 3 years? He lost to Frankie in a razor close fight but Frankie is not better then BJ, neither is Gil.
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

PostSubject: Re: Is BJ Penn overrated?   Is BJ Penn overrated? EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 11:20 am

OUSOONERSOU wrote:
How can anyone hold a loss to Machida at LHW against BJ? He lost to Machida, GSP(2x), Hughes and Frankie. 2 of those 3 loses being razor thin dec.
actually machida was at 218, and BJ was at 190, and it was a fucking decision
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Is BJ Penn overrated?   Is BJ Penn overrated? EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 11:26 am

Andrew the Raider King wrote:
Is BJ Penn overrated?

That's for you to decide. But the answer is no.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0

PostSubject: Re: Is BJ Penn overrated?   Is BJ Penn overrated? EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 11:35 am

No, BJ Penn is a legend.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is BJ Penn overrated?   Is BJ Penn overrated? EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 11:38 am

He is overated in the sense that people think he is anywhere near as good as GSP. Look at the improvement in GSP since their 1st fight and BJ's. GSP has improved much much more. Also he is not a top 5 Welterweight. GSP, Fitch, Alves, Shields and Koshceck are all better.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is BJ Penn overrated?   Is BJ Penn overrated? EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 11:39 am

He is the greatest Lightweight in history though.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Is BJ Penn overrated?   Is BJ Penn overrated? EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 11:40 am

freakzilla316ftw wrote:
He is overated in the sense that people think he is anywhere near as good as GSP. Look at the improvement in GSP since their 1st fight and BJ's. GSP has improved much much more. Also he is not a top 5 Welterweight. GSP, Fitch, Alves, Shields and Koshceck are all better.

I wouldn't pick Shields or Fitch today against him. Kos and Alves maybe, GSP definitely.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is BJ Penn overrated?   Is BJ Penn overrated? EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 11:41 am

Shield's can beat Henderson yet not BJ? Also Koshceck's wrestling would be too much for him.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: Is BJ Penn overrated?   Is BJ Penn overrated? EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 11:44 am

Shields can beat Henderson but not BJ, your right. Kos might be able to wrestle him and get him down but does he really want to fight bj on the mat. How did other wrestlers he fight do against him? GSP is the only one to toss him in the past few years.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is BJ Penn overrated?   Is BJ Penn overrated? EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 11:47 am

Because the rest were at Lightweight. BJ gets tired too quick at Welterweight.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

Favorite Fighter(s) : Fedor and GSP

PostSubject: Re: Is BJ Penn overrated?   Is BJ Penn overrated? EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 12:09 pm

OUSOONERSOU wrote:
Bigs03 wrote:

Top 3? Name 1 LW in the world with a more impressive LW run over the last 3 years? He lost to Frankie in a razor close fight but Frankie is not better then BJ, neither is Gil.

He lost to Frankie, close or not. That's why I say top 3. And I think Gilbert would give BJ a helluva match, so would Eddie Alvarez IMO.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Is BJ Penn overrated?   Is BJ Penn overrated? EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 12:31 pm

He was absolutely fucked by that Frankie decision. No BJ aint overrated. He's a legend.

Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: Is BJ Penn overrated?   Is BJ Penn overrated? EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 1:26 pm

Did we run out of Fedor stuff for Drew to be ridiculous about or something?
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Is BJ Penn overrated?   Is BJ Penn overrated? EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 1:55 pm

Maybe Penn overrates himself. Putting himself into fights in which his chances to win are low. Yes you could say that he wants that challenge, and that is a great thing to see in a fighter, but he did come in totally unprepared vs GSP.

but once again I see Penn, and his legacy, at a cross roads. I thought it after the GSP fight, and he responded well, but he needs to respond again. He needs to thrash Frankie the way we all expected him to do the 1st time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is BJ Penn overrated?   Is BJ Penn overrated? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is BJ Penn overrated?
Page 1 of 1