Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The judging is the sux bruv

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

The judging is the sux bruv Empty
PostSubject: The judging is the sux bruv   The judging is the sux bruv EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 11:24 pm

The judging is the sux bruv Thumbnail_crop_php_medium

I believe a good majority of fights these days are judged correctly, but there's always a few going against the grain.  The current set up can't stop it from happening.  Not if I was sitting in the judge's seat, not even if you put fighters or refs in their place.  I think the judges should not watch the actual fight in front of them at all but instead, a multiple-screen or window view of what the three or four cameramen filming the fights live are viewing.  

I know some jurisdictions allow a monitor cageside for judges.  A monitor I'd suggest for this is either an array of nice HD tablets, all touch screens when touched in a fight signals a larger monitor to view, or a bad ass big touch screen monitor.  Something big, crisp and clear.

There is capitol costs and paying people good at running the stuff but you hear people complain about judging so much, the people who have been running the biggest promotions in this sport since, the beginning I guess.  If things got changed that way it would be nice a investment to have something for your event approved commission certified for judging if a commission itself didn't rent their own equipment out to promotions on their own.  

I wouldn't require the judges to sit cageside either but whatever location in the arena which accommodates the ideal setting to view the fight, whether a commissioner or public witness or whoever needs to be there with them, whatever.

To take it even further I'd say allow each individual judge the ability to pause, rewind and slow motion play, for an established amount of time, all screens or windows of the fight, never one individually.  It would not be a lot of extra time to view the fight either.  The judges could finish watching a fight no more then a few minutes late if it was one of the very good, or bad, close fights demanding a better look.  

A big part of the reason why I think the ability to control time would be beneficial is because how the heck is anyone supposed to watch Jon Dodson live and see everything the guy is doing?  Fully live viewing still has the judges on trial more than if they can quickly go back to get a better look at something, sudden or quick, hell, even a sneeze on their won part, anything they might of missed during a significant moment in the fight.

The judges could at all times, quickly and easily focus their eyes on the perspective they feel gives them the best view of the fight at a given stretch of time.  For me that is what drives my theory this has the potential to improve judging, even just a little.

Reform, it's the problem I see with this.  It's tough to implement change and this might be too fundamental a change in the method which MMA contests are judged.  It could be the kind of purists who think it's cool that umpires in baseball all have varying individual strike zones or some kind of commission or legal battle BS about bs.  I think the technology exists to facilitate improvement, but not the leadership to make something happen any time soon.  Perhaps that is something for a different discussion.

I want to see every effective amenity possible utilized to make the job of judging a fight easier.  Three judges sitting cageside watching the fights live from three different perspectives have the potential to see three very different fights unfold, especially in closely contested fights.  I think if fostered correctly, this proposal is one judges could take advantage of and score fights with a greater level of confidence in their decision.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

The judging is the sux bruv Empty
PostSubject: Re: The judging is the sux bruv   The judging is the sux bruv EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 11:46 pm

Providing monitors to the judges at all UFC events was a positive step. If more promotions begin following suit we might see some better results the sport over. However I like the idea of being able to replay various moments in the fight for viewing between rounds or after the fight as a whole. I'm not sure that the multiview-multiscreen format is necessary so much as the same view we get when watching on TV. I've never been unimpressed with the quality of the angles given. Even when the camera shooting at the time something occurs has never gotten in the way of quality replay footage from better angles after the fact.
Back to top Go down

The judging is the sux bruv
Page 1 of 1