Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

UPDATED: EDDIE ALVAREZ

Go down 
+3
KingsOwn19
killerofchicken
GDPofDRC
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

UPDATED: EDDIE ALVAREZ Empty
PostSubject: UPDATED: EDDIE ALVAREZ   UPDATED: EDDIE ALVAREZ EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 12:30 pm

http://www.mmaweekly.com/bellator-making-hard-push-to-keep-eddie-alvarez

When Eddie Alvarez
defeated Patricky “Pitbull” Freire at Bellator 76 and officially
entered free agency, most just penciled in the former lightweight
champion as a lock to end up with the UFC.
On the night of his victory, UFC President Dana White sent Alvarez a message via Twitter saying “congrats bro, let’s talk”.

The message from Bellator Fighting Championships back very well might read “not so fast”.

According to Alvarez’s manager, Glenn Robinson
of Authentic Sports Management, Bellator is pushing hard to keep their
former champion right where he is as they make their transition to Spike
TV in 2013.

“Bjorn and Eddie had a great conversation and had some great talks.
Bjorn has expressed interest in keeping Eddie, and talks have gone
really well, and that’s all I can really say at this point,” Robinson
told MMAWeekly.com this week.

The last major free agent that Bellator had on its roster was former middleweight champion Hector Lombard,
who signed with the UFC earlier this year. The American Top Team
fighter was undefeated during his time with Bellator as their 185lb
champion, but once his contract was up he left and moved over to the
UFC.

Alvarez, who has been with Bellator since their inception in 2009,
has been the face of the promotion and one of their biggest stars.

Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney knows that and he’s doing his best to make sure Alvarez remains with the company for the foreseeable future.

“Talks have gone really well with Bellator and Eddie just wants to
fight the best fighters he can, and get a contract he feels is fair, but
I can tell you Bjorn has gone out of his way to make Eddie feel welcome
and talks have gone well so far, so we’ll see what the future brings,”
said Robinson.
No decision is likely to happen in the next few weeks as Bellator
continues to negotiate with Alvarez and his management team during an
exclusive contract period.

Whether he signs somewhere tomorrow or in 3 months, Alvarez just wants to make the best decision possible for his career.

“He doesn’t want to sit out too long so we’d like to get things
wrapped up. At the end of the day, Bellator has a 90-day negotiating
period, so we’re finishing talks with them and we have to see where
things go with that,” Robinson stated.

“Yeah he’d like to fight right away, but he doesn’t want to rush to
make a deal either, make a hasty deal because he’s in a rush. He’s a
very smart guy, and we’ve got to take our time, take it one step at a
time to get ultimately where he needs to be.”

UPDATED:
"That's not really up to me. I'm in between with my management and promotions. Bjorn Rebney was gracious enough to give us our release papers early, earlier than what we were contractually to get, he gave it to us Friday. So we're going to try to move it along as fast as possible for myself and for Bellator. We'll see. Nothing's set in stone and I'm just waiting to see what happens, letting the management and letting the promotions do their job now."

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: UPDATED: EDDIE ALVAREZ   UPDATED: EDDIE ALVAREZ EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 12:33 pm

I remember reading last week that Eddie was meeting with Viacom and wasn't ruling out return to Bellator.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: UPDATED: EDDIE ALVAREZ   UPDATED: EDDIE ALVAREZ EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 1:10 pm

Much as I respect Bellator I really want to see Eddie in the UFC.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: UPDATED: EDDIE ALVAREZ   UPDATED: EDDIE ALVAREZ EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 1:13 pm

Ali wrote:
Much as I respect Bellator I really want to see Eddie in the UFC.
I can live with Alvarez vs Chandler 2 or Alvarez vs Hawn.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: UPDATED: EDDIE ALVAREZ   UPDATED: EDDIE ALVAREZ EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 2:41 pm

He really does have a few good fights at Bellator with more emerging with each LW tourny. I think he fights for Zuffa though.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: UPDATED: EDDIE ALVAREZ   UPDATED: EDDIE ALVAREZ EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 4:17 pm

http://mmajunkie.com/news/31356/bellator-ceo-bjorn-rebney-will-waive-matching-period-should-eddie-alvarez-not-re-sign.mma
Quote :
"Based on our relationship with Ed, there's no reason to hold him to a series of months of not having the opportunity to look at those offers," Rebney said.

"The guy does not know how to have a boring fight, sometimes to his own detriment," Rebney said. "The easiest play ... would have been to stay at distance, used angles and his world-class boxing and just worn down a 15-minute decision. And I knew going into that fight as I'm sure Ed did that there was a better chance that I would grow a second head than he would fight that fight. All he needed to do was win, and he put it all on the line. I would love to have Eddie in Bellator."

"I spent 10 years of my life trying to build a reputation and build a name, and some guy out of nowhere with six fights or whatever, he doesn't work nearly as hard and he gets a chance to throw a punch with his eyes closed and take everything you've earned," he said.

"At any given moment over that period, anyone can win and anybody can lose," Rebney said. "Ed's discussed it with me. He's said, 'I may be fighting world-class guys or fighting guys on the cusp of getting there. That's a touchy dynamic for me.' I understand the thought process. It's three fights in three months. It's a tough run."

"If Ed opts to look at the UFC offer, which he may very well do, it will really boil down to, for us, does the UFC put a Hector offer in front of Ed," Rebney said, claiming that such a deal would make Alvarez the highest paid lightweight on the UFC's roster.

"He and I have had couple of conversations over the last few days, and we'll see if he and I collectively believe that we're close to making a deal," Rebney said. "If we're not close to making a deal, I'll just send him over paperwork, cut short the waiting period, and let him see what [the UFC's] offer is. But I have to assume that (the decision will be made) in the next couple of days."
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: UPDATED: EDDIE ALVAREZ   UPDATED: EDDIE ALVAREZ EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Bjorn being really cool about this whole thing.
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: UPDATED: EDDIE ALVAREZ   UPDATED: EDDIE ALVAREZ EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 4:47 pm

... The type of prez the UFC could benefit from

Queue LA and BOBBITT to defend Dana
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: UPDATED: EDDIE ALVAREZ   UPDATED: EDDIE ALVAREZ EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 4:51 pm

killerofchicken wrote:

Yeah Bjorn actually respects his fighters as people, not property.
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: UPDATED: EDDIE ALVAREZ   UPDATED: EDDIE ALVAREZ EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 4:58 pm

OU wrote:
killerofchicken wrote:

yup, and he sees it how it is. He realizes that he'll probably lose Eddy but isn't calling him a traitor and bashing him over it
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: UPDATED: EDDIE ALVAREZ   UPDATED: EDDIE ALVAREZ EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 4:58 pm

I'm still not the biggest fan of their contracting though.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: UPDATED: EDDIE ALVAREZ   UPDATED: EDDIE ALVAREZ EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 4:59 pm

killerofchicken wrote:
OU wrote:
killerofchicken wrote:

yup, and he sees it how it is. He realizes that he'll probably lose Eddy but isn't calling him a traitor and bashing him over it

Yeah Dana white is the ultimate bridge burner.
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

PostSubject: Re: UPDATED: EDDIE ALVAREZ   UPDATED: EDDIE ALVAREZ EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 5:00 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
I'm still not the biggest fan of their contracting though.
and I also think the tournament format is hurting them, but I'm not the only one
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: UPDATED: EDDIE ALVAREZ   UPDATED: EDDIE ALVAREZ EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 6:43 pm

Bjorn said a few days ago that Hector got 400K per fight and a 300K signing bonus, PPV cuts, and the UFC sponsership. Wonder if Eddie gets that having been finished by Chandler..i think his last two performances have put him back where he was but it's not a Hector situation where the guy hadnt lost in 20 something fights and Hector has an Australian following.

I think Eddie will get a pretty good deal from UFC though.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: UPDATED: EDDIE ALVAREZ   UPDATED: EDDIE ALVAREZ EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 2:23 pm

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/11/5/3603454/ufc-bellator-eddie-alvarez-released-matching-rights-mma-news
ellator lightweight Eddie Alvarez has been granted his release by the organization, according to Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney and the fighter himself. The UFC has expressed interest in Alvarez already, but Bellator isn't completely out of the picture just because they've released him. Rebney explained the deal a few days ago to MMA Junkie:

Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney now has advanced the timeline on Alvarez's decision, telling MMA Junkie that he'll waive a standard 90-day matching period if the ex-champ doesn't initially take a new contract offer.

"Based on our relationship with Ed, there's no reason to hold him to a series of months of not having the opportunity to look at those offers," Rebney said.

The executive said Bellator retains the right to match other offers should Alvarez decide to test the open market. The UFC has signaled interest in signing the 28-year-old Philadelphian and is expected to make a bid.

Alvarez spoke to MMA Interviews about what might happen in the near future:

"That's not really up to me. I'm in between with my management and promotions. Bjorn Rebney was gracious enough to give us our release papers early, earlier than what we were contractually to get, he gave it to us Friday. So we're going to try to move it along as fast as possible for myself and for Bellator. We'll see. Nothing's set in stone and I'm just waiting to see what happens, letting the management and letting the promotions do their job now."

The key part to me is the matching rights Rebney mentioned. Basically, this just means that Bellator chose not to maintain exclusivity after Alvarez's camp turned down their initial offer, so he can speak to other organizations and they can figure out what his market value will be. Considering the gigantic deal that the UFC signed Hector Lombard to (a 400k signing bonus, 300k a fight, and PPV points), it'd probably be pretty tough for Bellator to match whatever the UFC offers. But stranger things have happened.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: UPDATED: EDDIE ALVAREZ   UPDATED: EDDIE ALVAREZ EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 2:26 pm

Rebney is a classy guy I like him.

Alvarez for Superbowl card ?
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: UPDATED: EDDIE ALVAREZ   UPDATED: EDDIE ALVAREZ EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 2:27 pm

Ali wrote:
Rebney is a classy guy I like him.

Alvarez for Superbowl card ?

Maybe. I would actually prefer Eddie vs Showtime to Cowboy vs Showtime. IMO it would make more sense for a #1 contender fight.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: UPDATED: EDDIE ALVAREZ   UPDATED: EDDIE ALVAREZ EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 2:54 pm

Looking at the current fights booked. Unless they hold him off incase someone gets injured. Looks like all signs would point to Maynard. With Frankie-Aldo, Diaz-Bendo and Showtime-Cowboy tying up all the other high ranked LWs, looks like Maynard is the best of the rest. I can't imagine them trying to give him Wiman, RDA or Johnson. I don't see many options out there.

Also I couldn't see them doing Gil vs Eddie as a 1 time thing. But I would love it if they did.
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, FEDOR, NICK DIAZ

PostSubject: Re: UPDATED: EDDIE ALVAREZ   UPDATED: EDDIE ALVAREZ EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 10:58 am

Lots of lightweights in the ufc I would love to see fight Eddie. I like it
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: UPDATED: EDDIE ALVAREZ   UPDATED: EDDIE ALVAREZ EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 12:17 pm

Cmon Eddie vs El Nino!!!! Make it happen DW and uhhhh Coker.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: UPDATED: EDDIE ALVAREZ   UPDATED: EDDIE ALVAREZ EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 11:06 am

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/12/18/3782502/ufc-eddie-alvarez-offer-bellator-matching-two-weeks-mma

Quote :

Per Bellator's Bjorn Rebney, they've received UFC contract offer for Eddie Alvarez and are now a few days into 2-wk matching period. 1/2
— Loretta Hunt (@lorettahuntmma) December 19, 2012

Rebney says Bellator has capability to match what UFC has offered Alvarez. Decision will be made in next week and half 2/2
— Loretta Hunt (@lorettahuntmma) December 19, 2012

Quote :
UPDATE: I spoke to Loretta Hunt on Twitter immediately following the posting of this article. She informed me that (1) Rebney and Bellator never extended an official offer to Alvarez following Bellator 76. They sit down to talk, but no official contract was given or rejected. (2) Bellator's ability to match Eddie's offer from the UFC is not an indication of it being less than Hector Lombard's.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: UPDATED: EDDIE ALVAREZ   UPDATED: EDDIE ALVAREZ EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 5:34 pm

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2012/12/bellator-reviewing-eddie-alvarezs-ufc-offer-with-choice-of-match-or-let-him-go
Quote :
Eddie Alvarez has his offer. Now it's a waiting game.

The former Bellator lightweight champ, one of the most coveted MMA free agents in years, has a contract offer in hand from the UFC. That leaves Bellator in a two-week period in which it can match the offer in an attempt to retain the fighter.

Bellator officials on Wednesday told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that promotion execs are reviewing Alvarez's offer from the UFC and are expected to announce soon whether they will match it or let him go.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/12/19/3783094/more-information-on-the-eddie-alvarez-ufc-bellator-love-triangle
Quote :
I originally got the information from Loretta Hunt of Sports Illustrated. Only minutes after I published the article, Hunt reached out on Twitter to correct me on a few points.

Loretta - According to Rebney, Bellator never made Alvarez new offer, went straight to free agent

Chris - Thanks! Could have sworn it came out shortly after BFC 76 that Alvarez declined, but I'll update.

Loretta - They did sit down to talk and Bellator/Spike mapped out where new deal could go, but no official #s put to paper according to Rebney

Loretta - and from my convo with Rebney today, I don't glean that Alvarez's offer is necessarily less than Lombard's

Chris - That was speculation on my part, $700K plus PPV seems well out of their price range without big backing by Viacom

Loretta - they have Viacom's backing. Like Lombard, Rebney would weigh return on price is worth it

She followed up by retweeting a previous conversation where Rebney addresses the possibility of countering PPV points in a UFC contract.

Loretta - could only get Rebney to hypothetically speak on PPV option, that if it were included in a fighter's offer, Bellator can match it.

Loretta - I don't they'd have an issue promoting a PPV - just need the right combo of fights
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: UPDATED: EDDIE ALVAREZ   UPDATED: EDDIE ALVAREZ EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 9:38 pm

PPV? Bellator can not go ppv.

And they have to match here. Spike is here, if, they can't sign a guy like Eddie at this point in time, then they are basically calling themselves a feeder org.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: UPDATED: EDDIE ALVAREZ   UPDATED: EDDIE ALVAREZ EmptyThu Dec 20, 2012 10:50 am

captain organic wrote:
PPV? Bellator can not go ppv.

And they have to match here. Spike is here, if, they can't sign a guy like Eddie at this point in time, then they are basically calling themselves a feeder org.
I don't know if I would go that far. They are still growing. They did nab guys like King Mo, Daley and Falcao. They all parted from Zuffa in different ways but none of them had anything to do with in ring performances. They are all UFC level talent. They also have a great group of prospects with Pitbull bros, Curran,Chandler, Lima and too many guys to name at lighter weights. My point is they still have there hands on guys that Zuffa wouldn't mind getting there hands on. They are also forcing the UFC to pony up to steal there stars away and putting them in immediate title contention. Doesn't that kind of legitimize what Bellator is doing? UFC saying your Champion isn't too far away from our Champion.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: UPDATED: EDDIE ALVAREZ   UPDATED: EDDIE ALVAREZ EmptyThu Dec 20, 2012 11:20 am

I don't see Mo and Falcao as evidence of Bellator not being a 2nd class citizen. For whatever the reason, the UFC did not want those guys. Bellator picked up the scraps.

Solid point on the Bellator champs infiltrating the UFC ranks. Lombard and Alvarez do almost go in carrying the Bellator banner. But losing your best fighters in hope that they can beat the odds and win the UFC belt? Not the gameplan I would go with.

As far as the younger Bellator guys, at some point they need to stop the tide. If Bellator continues to lose it's best guys, the younger guys will only want to follow suit.

I would just think that given what Alvarez has meant to the org, and the timing with Spike, that they would want to draw the line here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: UPDATED: EDDIE ALVAREZ   UPDATED: EDDIE ALVAREZ Empty

Back to top Go down

UPDATED: EDDIE ALVAREZ
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next