Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Despite champ's hesitation, White believes he'll convince Silva to fight Jones or GSP

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Despite champ's hesitation, White believes he'll convince Silva to fight Jones or GSP Empty
PostSubject: Despite champ's hesitation, White believes he'll convince Silva to fight Jones or GSP   Despite champ's hesitation, White believes he'll convince Silva to fight Jones or GSP EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 11:31 pm

http://mmajunkie.com/news/31133/despite-champs-hesitation-white-believes-hell-convince-silva-to-fight-jones-or-gsp.mma

Anderson Silva has three words, basically, about a potential superfight with Jon Jones. His boss has a three-word response.

Silva (33-4 MMA, 16-0 UFC) cruised past Stephan Bonnar (14-8 MMA, 8-7 UFC) in the UFC 153 main event on Saturday in Rio de Janeiro. The fight took place at light heavyweight, and speculation started immediately as to Silva's next challenge – a possible superfight with light heavyweight champion Jon Jones.

Silva is hesitant to consider such a fight, but UFC President Dana White believes he can make it happen.

"I know my man says 'No, no, no,'" White said at Saturday's UFC 153 post-event news conference. "But the amount of money that would be offered for that fight, I guarantee you I will make Anderson Silva say, 'Yes, yes, yes.'"

Silva says such a fight, or any fight he's ever taken, has nothing to do with the money he makes.

"Since I started training martial arts, I never thought about the money," Silva told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "I think everything I was able to get was because I did it with pleasure and love. When I started, there was no money in this and I didn't fight for money. Obviously, the money is important. We all need money, but I don't fight for the money."

Silva also believes there are potential challengers for Jones' 205-pound belt, including from within his own team of training partners, and he doesn't think Jones has much interest in the fight, either.

"This is not something I would like to happen because the times I've seen Jon Jones, he's also mentioned that he would not like to fight. (me)," Silva said. "We are UFC employees. I wouldn't like for this to happen because in our team, we have (Antonio Rodrigo) 'Minotauro' (Nogueira), we have (Rafael) 'Feijao' (Cavalcante), we have (Wagner) 'Caldeirao' (Prado).

"We have athletes in his division that can fight him. And I'm old. I'm getting old, guys."

But White believes he'll be able to sit in a room with Silva and his manager, Ed Soares, and negotiate either a superfight with Jones or with welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre.

"There are so many options for him right now," White said. "He never ceases to amaze. And like he says, there's a lot of talented guys now in that 185-pound division. But as he says, he's at this point in his career where there are some superfights there. The Georges St-Pierre fight is a big fight. I think the Jon Jones fight is a big fight."

The fans certainly have been calling for either of those fights loud and clear since Jones continues to breeze through his competition the same way Silva has. St-Pierre, though, meets interim champ Carlos Condit next month in a title-unification fight at UFC 154 after being on the shelf since April 2011.

But no matter what Silva ultimately decides will come next for him, White's sure of his opinion on the champ.

"I think he's the greatest fighter in any combat sport. The things that this guy does are amazing," White said. "It's an honor to watch this guy fight."
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

Despite champ's hesitation, White believes he'll convince Silva to fight Jones or GSP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Despite champ's hesitation, White believes he'll convince Silva to fight Jones or GSP   Despite champ's hesitation, White believes he'll convince Silva to fight Jones or GSP EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 11:40 pm

All talk aside, it is the biggest cash fight in the foreseeable future in the sport. We already know Jones will do it. I think Dana has good chance of getting Silva to buy off on the idea before the end of 2013.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0

PostSubject: Re: Despite champ's hesitation, White believes he'll convince Silva to fight Jones or GSP   Despite champ's hesitation, White believes he'll convince Silva to fight Jones or GSP EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 11:44 pm

It's funny how Silva says he's getting to old to fight Jones yet wants to fight GSP bad.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Despite champ's hesitation, White believes he'll convince Silva to fight Jones or GSP   Despite champ's hesitation, White believes he'll convince Silva to fight Jones or GSP EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 1:01 am

I think Dana needs to start with Jon Jones first..you know he'll turn on a "friend" in a heartbeat. Dana needs to have Bones publically say he will fight Spider first. If he can't entice Jones to say he will fight Silva, i'm assuming Jones is for real in his unwillingness to fight Silva.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Despite champ's hesitation, White believes he'll convince Silva to fight Jones or GSP   Despite champ's hesitation, White believes he'll convince Silva to fight Jones or GSP EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 1:44 am

KingsOwn19 wrote:
I think Dana needs to start with Jon Jones first..you know he'll turn on a "friend" in a heartbeat. Dana needs to have Bones publically say he will fight Spider first. If he can't entice Jones to say he will fight Silva, i'm assuming Jones is for real in his unwillingness to fight Silva.

This is my thoughts exactly. He should persuade Jones to call out Silva. That way either Silva takes the fight or will forever be branded a coward.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: Despite champ's hesitation, White believes he'll convince Silva to fight Jones or GSP   Despite champ's hesitation, White believes he'll convince Silva to fight Jones or GSP EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 10:18 am

Silva only takes fights he can win so i don't see a fight with bones ever happening. If he did take the fight it would be the first time i ever cheer for spider.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Despite champ's hesitation, White believes he'll convince Silva to fight Jones or GSP   Despite champ's hesitation, White believes he'll convince Silva to fight Jones or GSP EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 10:53 am

I hope they work on him fighting Weidman.
Back to top Go down
bronzehole
White Belt
White Belt
bronzehole

PostSubject: Re: Despite champ's hesitation, White believes he'll convince Silva to fight Jones or GSP   Despite champ's hesitation, White believes he'll convince Silva to fight Jones or GSP EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 11:02 am

bigbeastcardinal12 wrote:
Silva only takes fights he can win so i don't see a fight with bones ever happening. If he did take the fight it would be the first time i ever cheer for spider.

yup, silva wants nothing to do with bones or any legit lhw that isn't paid to lose for that matter. He doesn't even want anything to do with weidman. Man if gsp is even 95% of what he was pre injury than he better man up and take the shot. I'm quite confident gsp could have silva on his back for 5 rounds if sonnen did in that first fight were he tried. None of this catch weight shit-either, go up to 185 and steal his belt, must leave no excuses
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Despite champ's hesitation, White believes he'll convince Silva to fight Jones or GSP   Despite champ's hesitation, White believes he'll convince Silva to fight Jones or GSP EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 11:03 am

Anderson Silva has too many teammates at LHW. Why doesn't anyone respect that?
Back to top Go down
bronzehole
White Belt
White Belt
bronzehole

PostSubject: Re: Despite champ's hesitation, White believes he'll convince Silva to fight Jones or GSP   Despite champ's hesitation, White believes he'll convince Silva to fight Jones or GSP EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 11:05 am

OU wrote:
I hope they work on him fighting Weidman.

wiedman is a great wrestler that can actually do damage from the top, i think silva will retire before fighting him

i agree though, can always hope
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Despite champ's hesitation, White believes he'll convince Silva to fight Jones or GSP   Despite champ's hesitation, White believes he'll convince Silva to fight Jones or GSP EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 11:12 am

In a perfect world Silva will fight both GSP and Bones next year.

As long as GSP beats Condit I expect to see Bisping vs. Weidman for the interim MW title.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Despite champ's hesitation, White believes he'll convince Silva to fight Jones or GSP   Despite champ's hesitation, White believes he'll convince Silva to fight Jones or GSP EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 11:30 am

OU wrote:

Because none of them are contenders for the title. Well besides Machida but he would move down if Anderson won the LHW title. Anyway Anderson can move up just for 1 fight.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Despite champ's hesitation, White believes he'll convince Silva to fight Jones or GSP   Despite champ's hesitation, White believes he'll convince Silva to fight Jones or GSP EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 11:34 am

freakzilla wrote:
OU wrote:

Because none of them are contenders for the title. Well besides Machida but he would move down if Anderson won the LHW title. Anyway Anderson can move up just for 1 fight.
Feijao will be a contender when he gets into the UFC. What about Glover? I'm sure Anderson considers him to be a teammate. He also is never going to be convinced that lil Nog isn't in contention.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Despite champ's hesitation, White believes he'll convince Silva to fight Jones or GSP   Despite champ's hesitation, White believes he'll convince Silva to fight Jones or GSP EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 12:03 pm

Feijao will never be a contender. Anderson considers everyone a friend or teamate. Also like I said, he can fight Jones even if it's at a catchweight of 200 pounds for just 1 fight and then move back to 185.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Despite champ's hesitation, White believes he'll convince Silva to fight Jones or GSP   Despite champ's hesitation, White believes he'll convince Silva to fight Jones or GSP EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 12:17 pm

freakzilla wrote:
Feijao will never be a contender. Anderson considers everyone a friend or teamate. Also like I said, he can fight Jones even if it's at a catchweight of 200 pounds for just 1 fight and then move back to 185.
Why is that exactly? Former SF LHW Champion that had Hendo hurt pretty good in their fight.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Despite champ's hesitation, White believes he'll convince Silva to fight Jones or GSP   Despite champ's hesitation, White believes he'll convince Silva to fight Jones or GSP EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 12:38 pm

OU wrote:
freakzilla wrote:
Why is that exactly? Former SF LHW Champion that had Hendo hurt pretty good in their fight.

He wont be as good without the roids.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Despite champ's hesitation, White believes he'll convince Silva to fight Jones or GSP   Despite champ's hesitation, White believes he'll convince Silva to fight Jones or GSP EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 12:49 pm

freakzilla wrote:
OU wrote:
freakzilla wrote:

What proof do you have?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Despite champ's hesitation, White believes he'll convince Silva to fight Jones or GSP   Despite champ's hesitation, White believes he'll convince Silva to fight Jones or GSP EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 1:00 pm

OU wrote:
freakzilla wrote:
OU wrote:
freakzilla wrote:

What proof do you have?

Chael Sonnen.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Despite champ's hesitation, White believes he'll convince Silva to fight Jones or GSP   Despite champ's hesitation, White believes he'll convince Silva to fight Jones or GSP EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 1:04 pm

freakzilla wrote:
OU wrote:
freakzilla wrote:
OU wrote:
freakzilla wrote:

What proof do you have?

Chael Sonnen.
I didn't realize they were the same person...
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: Despite champ's hesitation, White believes he'll convince Silva to fight Jones or GSP   Despite champ's hesitation, White believes he'll convince Silva to fight Jones or GSP EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 7:46 pm

Freak is teaching class in this thread.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Despite champ's hesitation, White believes he'll convince Silva to fight Jones or GSP   Despite champ's hesitation, White believes he'll convince Silva to fight Jones or GSP EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 10:10 am

Quote :
‘I think all athletes in this division will get their opportunity in going for the title. I don't have any intention of fighting with him (Wiedman). I still think he has a lot to do in the UFC. I am in a comfortable position and I am no longer a child, I am 37 years old, he's a kid that is starting. Obviously, this might happen, but, I have two fights on my contract and I think one of them will be with St. Pierre and I don't really have an intention in fighting with him (Weidman) because I'm not a fool. I'm already an oldie, you know?'
Despite champ's hesitation, White believes he'll convince Silva to fight Jones or GSP Aflac_duck_2
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Despite champ's hesitation, White believes he'll convince Silva to fight Jones or GSP   Despite champ's hesitation, White believes he'll convince Silva to fight Jones or GSP Empty

Back to top Go down

Despite champ's hesitation, White believes he'll convince Silva to fight Jones or GSP
Page 1 of 1