Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bonnar turned down Glover fight because he didn't have enough followers on twitter

Go down 
+2
KingsOwn19
OU
6 posters
AuthorMessage
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

Bonnar turned down Glover fight because he didn't have enough followers on twitter Empty
PostSubject: Bonnar turned down Glover fight because he didn't have enough followers on twitter   Bonnar turned down Glover fight because he didn't have enough followers on twitter EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 1:33 pm

The UFC wanted him to fight Glover Teixeira, whose original UFC 153, Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, had scratched due to an injury. But Bonnar had been talking about his "rule" for months – and if guys can't pass his entrance exam, they're probably not getting in the cage with him. After 10 years in the biz and 14 UFC fights, the rule is Bonnar's price of admission, and he doesn't feel like he needs to apologize for it.

"My manager hit me up and asked how I feel about fighting Glover Teixeira," Bonnar said. "And I said, 'You know my rule. If I'm going to do this again, he's got to have more Twitter followers than me.' I know it sounds cheesy, but it's true. That's how I feel. That's a measure of someone's popularity, and I just want a bigger name. The last three opponents, I've had more Twitter followers than them, and I've beat them, and I feel like I deserve a bigger name now. I really don't have an interest in fighting an up-and-comer type, guys who are climbing their way up and people don't really know how good they are. I've done that a lot in my career."
http://mmajunkie.com/news/30677/from-retirement-to-megafight-bewildered-bonnar-wants-storybok-ending-to-ufc-153.mma
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

Bonnar turned down Glover fight because he didn't have enough followers on twitter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bonnar turned down Glover fight because he didn't have enough followers on twitter   Bonnar turned down Glover fight because he didn't have enough followers on twitter EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 1:34 pm

I understand Bonnar wanting a "name" but it would have still been a big fight, the co-main event. Would have been cool if he would have taken that fight.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bonnar turned down Glover fight because he didn't have enough followers on twitter   Bonnar turned down Glover fight because he didn't have enough followers on twitter EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 3:44 pm

From what I've heard Bonnar has been contemplating retirement so I don't blame him. Y'all know I've been campaigning for Bonnar to get a name for ages and Glover isn't that well known.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Bonnar turned down Glover fight because he didn't have enough followers on twitter   Bonnar turned down Glover fight because he didn't have enough followers on twitter EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 6:29 pm

That brings the Glover duck count to 3

Bonnar also has no cause to have an ego. He's never beaten anybody for somebody who isnt an "up and comer". Glover has about as many good wins as as Bonnar. Probably more. The reason UFC is hotshooting Glover is because he's not a noob, they guy has been around and fought good guys. A company lap dog like Boner should know that,

Lets not forget that an old broken down Mark Coleman painted the octogon red with a "prime" boner for 3 rounds at UFC 100.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bonnar turned down Glover fight because he didn't have enough followers on twitter   Bonnar turned down Glover fight because he didn't have enough followers on twitter EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 8:33 pm

KingsOwn19 wrote:
That brings the Glover duck count to 3

Bonnar also has no cause to have an ego. He's never beaten anybody for somebody who isnt an "up and comer". Glover has about as many good wins as as Bonnar. Probably more. The reason UFC is hotshooting Glover is because he's not a noob, they guy has been around and fought good guys. A company lap dog like Boner should know that,

Lets not forget that an old broken down Mark Coleman painted the octogon red with a "prime" boner for 3 rounds at UFC 100.

I wouldn't say Bonnar's got an ego it's just that he needs big names to keep him from hanging those gloves up.
Back to top Go down
cascade_run
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
cascade_run

PostSubject: Re: Bonnar turned down Glover fight because he didn't have enough followers on twitter   Bonnar turned down Glover fight because he didn't have enough followers on twitter EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 10:12 pm

i like what he did here, yeah he may have ducked a little, but he has always fought who they told him to, now he gets Anderson Silva, I think I would've taken Glover.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Bonnar turned down Glover fight because he didn't have enough followers on twitter   Bonnar turned down Glover fight because he didn't have enough followers on twitter EmptyWed Sep 19, 2012 9:21 am

Guys get all bent when champs don't want to fight a no name, but are quiet when Bonnar does the same?

Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Bonnar turned down Glover fight because he didn't have enough followers on twitter   Bonnar turned down Glover fight because he didn't have enough followers on twitter EmptyWed Sep 19, 2012 9:37 am

captain organic wrote:
Guys get all bent when champs don't want to fight a no name, but are quiet when Bonnar does the same?

Champs are expected to face the #1 contender. The "name" should be irrelevant.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Bonnar turned down Glover fight because he didn't have enough followers on twitter   Bonnar turned down Glover fight because he didn't have enough followers on twitter EmptyWed Sep 19, 2012 9:40 am

OU wrote:
captain organic wrote:

I think Champs, above anyone else, have earned the right to fight against worthy opponents. To say, he is champ therefore he has less say, seems counter intuitive.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Bonnar turned down Glover fight because he didn't have enough followers on twitter   Bonnar turned down Glover fight because he didn't have enough followers on twitter EmptyWed Sep 19, 2012 9:51 am

captain organic wrote:
OU wrote:
captain organic wrote:

I think Champs, above anyone else, have earned the right to fight against worthy opponents. To say, he is champ therefore he has less say, seems counter intuitive.
Why should the Champ get to choose? Title shots should be earned, when they are, they fight the Champion. Much simpler match making. You earn a shot you fight the Champion. A Champion has a better idea of who is coming up next then the middle of the road guys.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Bonnar turned down Glover fight because he didn't have enough followers on twitter   Bonnar turned down Glover fight because he didn't have enough followers on twitter EmptyWed Sep 19, 2012 10:49 am

OU wrote:
captain organic wrote:
OU wrote:
captain organic wrote:

Why should the Champ get to choose? Title shots should be earned, when they are, they fight the Champion. Much simpler match making. You earn a shot you fight the Champion. A Champion has a better idea of who is coming up next then the middle of the road guys.

I've seen these complaints when there is no clear #1. When the guy has not necessarily earned it.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Bonnar turned down Glover fight because he didn't have enough followers on twitter   Bonnar turned down Glover fight because he didn't have enough followers on twitter EmptyWed Sep 19, 2012 10:53 am

captain organic wrote:
OU wrote:
captain organic wrote:
OU wrote:
captain organic wrote:

I've seen these complaints when there is no clear #1. When the guy has not necessarily earned it.
You're a Champion, defend your title. Champions do not determine who is next is line. They fight who they are told is next. Be a Champion, defend your belt.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Bonnar turned down Glover fight because he didn't have enough followers on twitter   Bonnar turned down Glover fight because he didn't have enough followers on twitter EmptyWed Sep 19, 2012 12:37 pm

Pretty weak of Bonnar imo. Sounds like this Silva fight is his last fight, or it should be.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Bonnar turned down Glover fight because he didn't have enough followers on twitter   Bonnar turned down Glover fight because he didn't have enough followers on twitter EmptyWed Sep 19, 2012 12:40 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
Pretty weak of Bonnar imo. Sounds like this Silva fight is his last fight, or it should be.
I agree. It was a weak move, I understand turning down some fights but he would have still been the co-main event and Glover is already a contender. Also this should be his last fight. I expect Bonnar to take a shit load of punishment here. While I expect him to entertain for a few mins by taking a massive ass whoopin. He is going to take a ton of damage. I think he goes out taking the biggest ass whoopin of his life, but that is what he does best.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Bonnar turned down Glover fight because he didn't have enough followers on twitter   Bonnar turned down Glover fight because he didn't have enough followers on twitter EmptyWed Sep 19, 2012 1:58 pm

I don't think it's weak. He flat out came out and said he was going to retire unless it was a fight with a Rampage or TUF stint with Forrest or something big along those lines. If you're leaning towards retirement unless you draw a huge name to go out with, why take a fight and get your ass whipped by Glover? In this case I don't have a problem with it. Bonnar got his wish and will get to go out (probably) by fighting a legend. That's what he wanted
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bonnar turned down Glover fight because he didn't have enough followers on twitter   Bonnar turned down Glover fight because he didn't have enough followers on twitter EmptyWed Sep 19, 2012 3:13 pm

bobbitt15 wrote:
I don't think it's weak. He flat out came out and said he was going to retire unless it was a fight with a Rampage or TUF stint with Forrest or something big along those lines. If you're leaning towards retirement unless you draw a huge name to go out with, why take a fight and get your ass whipped by Glover? In this case I don't have a problem with it. Bonnar got his wish and will get to go out (probably) by fighting a legend. That's what he wanted

Bingo
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bonnar turned down Glover fight because he didn't have enough followers on twitter   Bonnar turned down Glover fight because he didn't have enough followers on twitter Empty

Back to top Go down

Bonnar turned down Glover fight because he didn't have enough followers on twitter
Page 1 of 1