Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hendo Injured Long Ago; Waited until 8 Days Out to Cancel

Go down 
+3
killerofchicken
KingsOwn19
Farmer1906
7 posters
AuthorMessage

Hendo Injured Long Ago; Waited until 8 Days Out to Cancel Empty
PostSubject: Hendo Injured Long Ago; Waited until 8 Days Out to Cancel   Hendo Injured Long Ago; Waited until 8 Days Out to Cancel EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 8:59 am

http://mmashare.mmavideoforum.com/serious-mma-discussion-f1/hendo-injured-long-ago-waited-until-8-days-out-to--t58810.html

Just when you thought the craziness coming from the aftermath of UFC 151's cancellation was over, we now have even more. Today, Dan Henderson's muay thai coach Daniel Wiorin revealed the situation surrounding Hendo's knee injury to Fighter's Only. Here's what he had to say:

Dan Henderson got hurt three weeks ago during sparring when he went to defend a takedown and for a while he had to be away from training, for two to three weeks. It was very difficult for him to refuse the fight. All the team had to convince him not to do it.

This adds an interesting twist to the story we've been hearing, now knowing the rather long timeframe between the time the injury was sustained and the time of the announcement. This info opens up a lot of interesting questions to be asked, and will certainly lend itself to new arguments about what could or should have happened.

We did a final sparring yesterday to evaluate his condition and he really didn't have the chance to fight with Jones. It is so depressing for everybody. Many things are involved in a high-level fight like this one, but unfortunately, this happened.

This series of events is certainly unfortunate, especially so near the event. Wiorin had little else to say about the matter and we don't know exactly what went down, or who was involved with the injury. That all remains to be seen.

(source)

Well is that odd? All the blame to fall on Jones can now split and fall on Hendo as well. They put the champ in a tight spot, but Hendo could have potentially allowed Dana to scramble for more replacements had he gotten the news 3 weeks earlier, were he not stubborn.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Hendo Injured Long Ago; Waited until 8 Days Out to Cancel   Hendo Injured Long Ago; Waited until 8 Days Out to Cancel EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 9:08 am

And if Hendo pulled out then a week later said, you know my knee isn't all that bad. The swelling went down and I feel 100%. Shit I wish I didn't give up the fight already. Hindsight is 2020.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Hendo Injured Long Ago; Waited until 8 Days Out to Cancel   Hendo Injured Long Ago; Waited until 8 Days Out to Cancel EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 11:25 am

Yeah, im thinking Hendo thought that it would get better.Was willing to lose the training time but when fight night came closer it wasnt getting better.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Hendo Injured Long Ago; Waited until 8 Days Out to Cancel   Hendo Injured Long Ago; Waited until 8 Days Out to Cancel EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 11:38 am

Heard a story it was his team and trainers that convince Hendo not to fight. He was going to tough it out even though he couldn't move well and defend a takedown.
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: Hendo Injured Long Ago; Waited until 8 Days Out to Cancel   Hendo Injured Long Ago; Waited until 8 Days Out to Cancel EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 12:54 pm

Against, it was not his team and trainers, it was the UFC appointed doctors who said he can't go.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hendo Injured Long Ago; Waited until 8 Days Out to Cancel   Hendo Injured Long Ago; Waited until 8 Days Out to Cancel EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 2:31 pm

Hendo should have notified the UFC as soon as it happened to give them enough time to arrange a back up plan.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hendo Injured Long Ago; Waited until 8 Days Out to Cancel   Hendo Injured Long Ago; Waited until 8 Days Out to Cancel EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 2:47 pm

Ali wrote:
Hendo should have notified the UFC as soon as it happened to give them enough time to arrange a back up plan.

I have to agree with this.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

PostSubject: Re: Hendo Injured Long Ago; Waited until 8 Days Out to Cancel   Hendo Injured Long Ago; Waited until 8 Days Out to Cancel EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 6:36 pm

Haven't read all the stories but many he did.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: Hendo Injured Long Ago; Waited until 8 Days Out to Cancel   Hendo Injured Long Ago; Waited until 8 Days Out to Cancel EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 4:59 am

I agree that he should have given some notice to the UFC, but that is no excuse to avoid fighting someone.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Hendo Injured Long Ago; Waited until 8 Days Out to Cancel   Hendo Injured Long Ago; Waited until 8 Days Out to Cancel EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 9:05 am

https://ninjasplace.forumotion.net/t18935-who-do-you-blame-dana-ufc-or-jones
It was brought up page one in this thread.
OU wrote:
Quote :
"Dan Henderson got hurt three weeks ago during sparring when he went to defend a takedown and for a while he has to be away from training, for two to three weeks. It was very difficult for him to refuse the fight. All the team had to convince him not to do it. We did a final sparring yesterday to evaluate his condition and he really didn't have the chance to fight with Jones. His fight has been called off and when he bounces back, he will be able to dispute the belt."
How much blame falls on Dan? Does he get credit for gutting it out or should he have given the UFC the heads up weeks ago? Mixed emotions. I don't want to hate on Dan for trying to gut it out. But hindsight is 20/20 and it could have saved the event if he would have spoken up.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Hendo Injured Long Ago; Waited until 8 Days Out to Cancel   Hendo Injured Long Ago; Waited until 8 Days Out to Cancel EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 4:02 pm

Quote :
"They did find an opponent, but I guess it was one he didn't wanna fight. It's a shame the whole card had to be scrapped because of that. It's an injury that I honestly thought I'd be able to work through and fight a little bit injured. I may not have been one hundred percent, but I thought I'd be close. After a couple of weeks of trying to push through it, it was apparent that I wouldn't even be close to a hundred percent."
-Hendo
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Hendo Injured Long Ago; Waited until 8 Days Out to Cancel   Hendo Injured Long Ago; Waited until 8 Days Out to Cancel EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 6:00 pm

I dont fault Hendo because what was he supposed to do? If he backs out early and then feels fine its to late he misses his title shot. Very tough spot for Hendo there.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Hendo Injured Long Ago; Waited until 8 Days Out to Cancel   Hendo Injured Long Ago; Waited until 8 Days Out to Cancel EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 6:05 pm

closet Bonehuggers are looking for an excuse to blame Hendo..but its obvious that he didnt want to back out close to a month from the fight and then feel like he can go a week away. The dude is in his 40's and may never get his title shot now. Bones just needed to take a fight..he had been training for a fight for months for that exact day and the card depended on him. A guy who has been completely dominant, healthy, a full training camp, and enjoys s hefty size advantage over even big LHW's wont fight a career long MW with an average career record who may have possibly been training to fight Jones for 3 weeks at the most, if you believe the theory that Sonnen knew Hendo would not fight...which i dont.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: Hendo Injured Long Ago; Waited until 8 Days Out to Cancel   Hendo Injured Long Ago; Waited until 8 Days Out to Cancel EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 7:26 pm

OU wrote:
Quote :
"They did find an opponent, but I guess it was one he didn't wanna fight. It's a shame the whole card had to be scrapped because of that. It's an injury that I honestly thought I'd be able to work through and fight a little bit injured. I may not have been one hundred percent, but I thought I'd be close. After a couple of weeks of trying to push through it, it was apparent that I wouldn't even be close to a hundred percent."
-Hendo

Just like I said. He probably hasn't had a torn ligament in his knee before and didn't know exactly how bad it was.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: Hendo Injured Long Ago; Waited until 8 Days Out to Cancel   Hendo Injured Long Ago; Waited until 8 Days Out to Cancel EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 7:31 pm

KingsOwn19 wrote:
closet Bonehuggers are looking for an excuse to blame Hendo..but its obvious that he didnt want to back out close to a month from the fight and then feel like he can go a week away. The dude is in his 40's and may never get his title shot now. Bones just needed to take a fight..he had been training for a fight for months for that exact day and the card depended on him. A guy who has been completely dominant, healthy, a full training camp, and enjoys s hefty size advantage over even big LHW's wont fight a career long MW with an average career record who may have possibly been training to fight Jones for 3 weeks at the most, if you believe the theory that Sonnen knew Hendo would not fight...which i dont.

I highly doubt Chael was in training at all since he was looking to move to light heavyweight. He was likely only putting on mass for the move up and even that would require essentially a "fat camp" sort of concept where he spends almost the whole time cutting weight. But I don't fault Dan for wanting to hold out as long as possible on the off chance that he does feel close to 100% near fight time. He's 40 or 41 now and this is likely his last shot at a title.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hendo Injured Long Ago; Waited until 8 Days Out to Cancel   Hendo Injured Long Ago; Waited until 8 Days Out to Cancel Empty

Back to top Go down

Hendo Injured Long Ago; Waited until 8 Days Out to Cancel
Page 1 of 1