Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Cain vs Mir in the works

Go down 
+3
KingsOwn19
GDPofDRC
OU
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

Cain vs Mir in the works Empty
PostSubject: Cain vs Mir in the works   Cain vs Mir in the works EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 10:43 am

http://mmajunkie.com/news/27364/ufc-boss-says-mir-vs-velasquez-griffin-vs-ortiz-iii-in-the-works.mma
According to UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta, former UFC heavyweight champions Frank Mir (16-5 MMA, 14-5 UFC) and Cain Velasquez (9-1 MMA, 7-1 UFC) are on a collision course, while familiar foes and former light heavyweight champs Forrest Griffin (18-7 MMA, 9-5 UFC) and Tito Ortiz are in line for a trilogy bout.

Fertitta revealed the planned matchups overnight via Twitter.

No date for either fight was revealed.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Cain vs Mir in the works   Cain vs Mir in the works EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 10:44 am

Also a good candidate for a FOX 3 co-main event. Why not have both fights on FOX?
Nate vs Miller
Cain vs Mir
Tito vs Forrest
Lavar vs Barry

not bad.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Cain vs Mir in the works   Cain vs Mir in the works EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 12:15 pm

Could Cain get a title shot with just this win? I'm sure Mir would get one with a win. That would be 4 wins in a row for Mir.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Cain vs Mir in the works   Cain vs Mir in the works EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 1:16 pm

Cain vs Mir will be a Main Event for a PPV. I couldn't see that opening up for Miller vs Diaz.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Cain vs Mir in the works   Cain vs Mir in the works EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 1:21 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
Cain vs Mir will be a Main Event for a PPV. I couldn't see that opening up for Miller vs Diaz.
Yeah I guess calling it "co-main event" doesn't make it much better. I would say just switch the fight order but Diaz vs Miller is just the better 5 round candidate if I have to pick one or the other.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cain vs Mir in the works   Cain vs Mir in the works EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 1:26 pm

Oh no.....I don't like my master's chances here Sad
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Cain vs Mir in the works   Cain vs Mir in the works EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 1:27 pm

Mir isn't dead in the water. Striking I think he is close to dead, and he will get taken down, but he is still a big strong guy wrenching at subs, dangerous for any opponent.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cain vs Mir in the works   Cain vs Mir in the works EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 1:28 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
Mir isn't dead in the water. Striking I think he is close to dead, and he will get taken down, but he is still a big strong guy wrenching at subs, dangerous for any opponent.

Cain's speed is going to give Frank nightmares, I don't see it lasting long.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: Cain vs Mir in the works   Cain vs Mir in the works EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 1:30 pm

Ali wrote:
GDPofDRC wrote:

Cain's speed is going to give Frank nightmares, I don't see it lasting long.

The speed coupled with the pace will be overwhelming.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Cain vs Mir in the works   Cain vs Mir in the works EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 1:32 pm

Cain probably has the faster hands, probably hits a little harder. Frank probably has the strength advantage here, something he didn't have against the overpowering wrestlers that raped him. But he does have previous experience against top level HW with strong wrestling base. But he didn't fair well in those fights so not sure exactly what he can take away from that, except what not to do. Mir still has the experience factor on his side and you never really know how a fighter will react to their first career loss.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: Cain vs Mir in the works   Cain vs Mir in the works EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 2:04 pm

This will be a fight Mir would have to win in the first round. He will be utterly gassed out before the second statrs.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Cain vs Mir in the works   Cain vs Mir in the works EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 7:29 pm

Cain is a tough matchup for Mir...but this is the fight to make.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cain vs Mir in the works   Cain vs Mir in the works EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 2:07 pm

KingsOwn19 wrote:
Cain is a tough matchup for Mir...but this is the fight to make.

I disagree, I'd much rather have Mir vs. Werdum and Cain vs. Bigfoot.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Cain vs Mir in the works   Cain vs Mir in the works EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 9:02 pm

Love the matchup, this would be a great fight for Fox, and by no means do I see Cain as the run away favorite. I think Mir can hang on the feet just fine. Not sure how well he'll fare off his back.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Cain vs Mir in the works   Cain vs Mir in the works EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 1:05 am

See I disagree Captain. I think Cain is a big favorite over Mir. Mir was rocked pretty good against Nog before he pulled off that sick Sub so i just think Cain will be to much with his standup and with his takedowns. Mir has a chance but i still make him a pretty big Dog.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: Cain vs Mir in the works   Cain vs Mir in the works EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 1:21 am

Mir has a submission advantage. Speed, cardio, power striking, and wrestling I give to Cain.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Cain vs Mir in the works   Cain vs Mir in the works EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 2:23 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
Mir has a submission advantage. Speed, cardio, power striking, and wrestling I give to Cain.

Sounds like u may also think Cain is a big favorite?
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Cain vs Mir in the works   Cain vs Mir in the works EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 10:33 am

OU wrote:
Could Cain get a title shot with just this win? I'm sure Mir would get one with a win. That would be 4 wins in a row for Mir.
Looks like winner will get a shot.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Cain vs Mir in the works   Cain vs Mir in the works EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 11:23 am

OU wrote:
OU wrote:
Looks like winner will get a shot.

That's a quick rematch for Cain, but how it is supposed to be. Beat a top contender and get a shot. Not bitch until you get a rematch.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Cain vs Mir in the works   Cain vs Mir in the works EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 2:55 pm

Mir is the only other native UFC guy even sniffing a title shot. So. Yea.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Cain vs Mir in the works   Cain vs Mir in the works EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 2:59 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:

Is there such a thing at native UFC besides TUF? Most new major signings are the UFC pulling from another semi big org.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Cain vs Mir in the works   Cain vs Mir in the works EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 3:03 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Silence noob.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Cain vs Mir in the works   Cain vs Mir in the works EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 3:13 pm

Who would get a shot first? The GP winner is not an option for a while. Who comes next besides Mir? This is a match between 3 and 4 ranked HW's in the world according to the consensus rankings, and the winner would deserve a title shot?

Again, that kind of option is partially caused by the crucible forum geeks want fighters to run, and also the desire to nag me by changing your opinions in order to argue some point with me, however futile. Negging in the shadows in threads you are too pussy to argue in openly works better.

Rank Fighter Points Promotion Last Rank
1 Junior dos Santos 400 UFC 1
2 Alistair Overeem 376 UFC 2
2 Cain Velasquez 376 UFC 2
4 Frank Mir 333 UFC 4
5 Fabricio Werdum 328 UFC 5
6 Shane Carwin 291 UFC 6
7 Josh Barnett 291 Strikeforce 8
8 Daniel Cormier 284 Strikeforce 7
9 Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira 279 UFC 9
10 Antonio Silva 209 UFC 10
11 Fedor Emelianenko 172 M-1 Global 11
12 Cheick Kongo 171 UFC 12
13 Brendan Schaub 150 UFC 13
14 Roy Nelson 135 UFC 14
15 Brock Lesnar 118 UFC 15
16 Travis Browne 111 UFC 17
17 Mike Russow 110 UFC 18
18 Sergei Kharitonov 96 Strikeforce 16
19 Cole Konrad 83 Bellator 19
20 Stefan Struve 81 UFC 22
21 Matt Mitrione 69 UFC 21
22 Gabriel Gonzaga 60 UFC 20
22 Mark Hunt 60 UFC 23
24 Pat Barry 54 UFC 26
25 Dan Henderson 51 UFC 24
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Cain vs Mir in the works   Cain vs Mir in the works EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 3:27 pm

Smile
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Cain vs Mir in the works   Cain vs Mir in the works EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 3:29 pm

Brock Lesnar is much closer to a title shot then Werdum. Rightfully so.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cain vs Mir in the works   Cain vs Mir in the works Empty

Back to top Go down

Cain vs Mir in the works
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next