Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Dana wants more control of Strikeforce

Go down 
+2
captain organic
KingsOwn19
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

Dana wants more control of Strikeforce Empty
PostSubject: Dana wants more control of Strikeforce   Dana wants more control of Strikeforce EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 6:16 am

I guess Dana was unhappy with how Rockhold-Jardine went, production wise

It also seems the new deal is against UFC poaching SF fighters from here on out, but it seems odd that Zuffa would keep them around if they could not just take who they wanted after the new deal(im guessing the collapse of the HW division was part of the deal)...but it seems the talent in SF is more protected with the emphasis placed on Melendez and Rockhold remaining in Strikeforce and Mo signing a 5 fight contract since the new deal it makes me wonder why they even wanted to keep this org running for only 6-8 shows a year with a limited roster that has already been hit big time with Cyborg and Mo being done for the year and with little financial gain that comes to mind. It also appears Showtime will continue to present other MMA not affiliated with Zuffa so it does not take Showtime away from potential competitors...i still don't know why they kept this org breathing. I'd like to think it was to keep the best womens fighters under their banner but they should have poached Gil, Rockhold, Mousasi, etc. before then.

Anyway, i'm sure Dana will get the pull he is seeking. Atleast on the talent. Production wise, i'm sure he just hates the announcing like evrybody else.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/27110/white-fine-with-strikeforce-ufc-callouts-wants-more-control-of-sister-promotion.mma

White fine with Strikeforce-UFC callouts, wants more control of sister promotion

by John Morgan on Jan 24, 2012 at 1:45 pm ET

For Strikeforce fighters, the move has become commonplace: Win a fight, call out a UFC fighter.

Of course, both UFC and Strikeforce officials have insisted the two promotions are going to remain separate for the time being, and fighter sharing isn't a current part of the plan.

So does UFC boss Dana White cringe each and every time he hears a fighter asking for a matchup he's not going to get? Not at all, says the fiery UFC boss.

"I want these guys, if there's a certain fight they want, I want them to call it out," White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "I get it."

White, of course, was an important part of ensuring Strikeforce and broadcast partner Showtime were able to extend an agreement that expired in late 2011. An outspoken opponent of former Showtime exec Ken Hershman, White later took point on the negotiations when Hershman bailed for HBO.

The first event under the new agreement was January's "Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Jardine," which was met with lukewarm response from both fans and pundits when longtime UFC vet Keith Jardine was given a middleweight title shot despite having never before competed at 185 pounds.

Of course, Strikeforce officials' hands were somewhat tied after Tim Kennedy, who Jardine replaced, was forced to withdraw from the event with an injury. Nevertheless, White admitted he was a little disappointed with the way the event played out.

"Let's just say the first Strikeforce fight didn't go the way I wanted it to go," White said. "When you get into a deal where the network controls what goes on, controls the production, controls everything – I'm working on that. I'm working on that as we speak. When these guys hand over the reigns and let me run that [expletive] thing, it will change."

Strikeforce CEO and founder Scott Coker said he welcomes White's involvement with the promotion he sold to the UFC's parent company this past March.

"I think that [White] had a pretty good role," Coker said. "He was at the show and had an interview on TV. He definitely uses social networking to promote the fight. I think you saw some of what he can do at the last event, and I think there's going to be more to come.

"Anytime a guy like Dana wants to become involved with his marketing machine behind him, I think it's going to be a great thing."

The exact vision for Strikeforce still remains somewhat unclear. The organization does remain the premier destination for female fighters, as witnessed by the March 3 headlining contest between women's bantamweight champion Miesha Tate and fast-rising challenger Ronda Rousey. The organization has also committed to folding its heavyweight division and focusing instead on the six remaining weightclasses between bantamweight and light heavyweight.

But both Showtime and Strikeforce officials have insisted there is no desire for the promotion to be any sort of feeder league to the UFC, and the vision also doesn't currently include any type of crossover fights between the athletes of the two organizations.

So then what exactly is the next step for Strikeforce?

White declined to reveal his master plan but did admit he needs Showtime to cede some power in order to execute his idea.

"I've got to get my hands on that thing," White said. "I've got to get my hands on the production and start controlling that show. If I don't, then it is what it is.

"We've got two years with these guys, but Showtime will run it (if I can't get control). We'll let Showtime run it on their own."

For more on the upcoming UFC and Strikeforce schedules, stay tuned to the MMA Rumors section of the site.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dana wants more control of Strikeforce   Dana wants more control of Strikeforce EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 9:46 am

Gay, time to end Strikeforce.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Dana wants more control of Strikeforce   Dana wants more control of Strikeforce EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 10:10 am

I think one big reason for keeping SF alive was not letting the remaining talent, those that would not make the UFC roster, go on the free market. Not just the women, but because the UFC lw div is so stacked u could see guys like Noons, Thomson, JZ, and other guys like Daley, and some of the younger prospects from the higher division, on the outside looking in, and I don't think the UFC wanted those guys going to a competitior.

And as I've said, I think showtime was willing to keep em alive cause there was no other options. A watered down SF is still way better then the current M-1 and ProElite. But I always figured showtime would retain the right to show other promotions, so Im expected them to make a go at building another org up.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dana wants more control of Strikeforce   Dana wants more control of Strikeforce EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 10:14 am

If they want to use it to make stars I have no problem with that but keeping guys like Melendez, Mousasi and Lawal there is just gay.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Dana wants more control of Strikeforce   Dana wants more control of Strikeforce EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 10:16 am

But there will always be a conflict of interest here. The best guys are going to want to fight for the UFC, for Fox, and Showtime is not going to like seeing their best guys siphoned off. I just can't see this as a long term viable option.

White is making a big effort to dispel the notion that SF is a feeder league. Not because he doesn't think it is, or because he doesn't want it to be, but because showtime does not want a feeder league.
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, FEDOR, NICK DIAZ

PostSubject: Re: Dana wants more control of Strikeforce   Dana wants more control of Strikeforce EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 10:16 am

Heres what pisses me off about Dana. He's a fucking liar, every one of us knows that he is lying out his ass when he claims he doesn't want strikeforce to be a feeder league. That right there is why I never want to believe a damn thing he says and he comes off as a straight up crook to me.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Dana wants more control of Strikeforce   Dana wants more control of Strikeforce EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 10:26 am

MMAEYES wrote:
Heres what pisses me off about Dana. He's a fucking liar, every one of us knows that he is lying out his ass when he claims he doesn't want strikeforce to be a feeder league. That right there is why I never want to believe a damn thing he says and he comes off as a straight up crook to me.

U r preaching to the choir here.

I know he has been a central figure during the rise of the UFC(although I think it is very arguable how much credit he should get for said rise) but at some point does not the UFC need to get a more credible voice to lead this thing(im an advocate of Randy)?

Last edited by captain organic on Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

PostSubject: Re: Dana wants more control of Strikeforce   Dana wants more control of Strikeforce EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 10:34 am

Randy would be cool, I'd say Chuck but we all know he doesn't speak as well. I'd be fine with Lorenzo. Anybody but Dana. They should only send Dana out when someone really pisses them off like an attack dog or some shit but otherwise he should stay in the backround imo.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dana wants more control of Strikeforce   Dana wants more control of Strikeforce EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 10:37 am

They have Randy and Florian if they need someone to represent them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dana wants more control of Strikeforce   Dana wants more control of Strikeforce EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 11:51 am

freakzilla wrote:
Gay, time to end Strikeforce.

+1

If they had merged Strikeforce perhaps that Canadian card wouldn't have got canceled.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Dana wants more control of Strikeforce   Dana wants more control of Strikeforce EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 11:52 am

Just what Dana needs, more power.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dana wants more control of Strikeforce   Dana wants more control of Strikeforce EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 11:54 am

OU wrote:

I've told ya'll before he's a Tyrant.

We need a Brutus to end his evil reign.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Dana wants more control of Strikeforce   Dana wants more control of Strikeforce EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 11:55 am

OU wrote:

ha.

Also note that Dana is already taking shots at showtime.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Dana wants more control of Strikeforce   Dana wants more control of Strikeforce EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 11:58 am

captain organic wrote:
OU wrote:

ha.

Also note that Dana is already taking shots at showtime.
All shocking. Dana wants power? He doesn't like not having control? He still isn't a fan of Showtime? I'm blown away by this news.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dana wants more control of Strikeforce   Dana wants more control of Strikeforce EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 11:58 am

I am curious who at Showtime handles Strikeforce now that Hershman left ?
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Dana wants more control of Strikeforce   Dana wants more control of Strikeforce EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 12:09 pm

Lol at the idea of some former fighter doing what Dana does now. His schedule is fucking ridiculous, nobody wants any part of the job this guy has.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Dana wants more control of Strikeforce   Dana wants more control of Strikeforce EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 12:17 pm

bobbitt15 wrote:
Lol at the idea of some former fighter doing what Dana does now. His schedule is fucking ridiculous, nobody wants any part of the job this guy has.

yeah cause fighters are typically lazy guys who hate to work.

Granted I doubt Randy would want to take the role of profanity spewing nutcase who degrades any and all non UFC fighters. I'll give u that.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Dana wants more control of Strikeforce   Dana wants more control of Strikeforce EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 12:23 pm

There's a monumental gap between being lazy and the job Dana has. They wouldn't want it nor would they be anywhere near as good at it

Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Dana wants more control of Strikeforce   Dana wants more control of Strikeforce EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 12:24 pm

Doesn't mean Dana isn't a douche who makes a ton of mistakes himself. Some people think everything he does is gold.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Dana wants more control of Strikeforce   Dana wants more control of Strikeforce EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 12:24 pm

I could do Dana's job and make more people happy and less people pissed.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

PostSubject: Re: Dana wants more control of Strikeforce   Dana wants more control of Strikeforce EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 12:30 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:

Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dana wants more control of Strikeforce   Dana wants more control of Strikeforce EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 12:30 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:

What would you do if you were Dana ?
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Dana wants more control of Strikeforce   Dana wants more control of Strikeforce EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 12:31 pm

Ban Planking
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Dana wants more control of Strikeforce   Dana wants more control of Strikeforce EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 12:33 pm

OU wrote:
Doesn't mean Dana isn't a douche who makes a ton of mistakes himself. Some people think everything he does is gold.

Obviously he makes mistakes, but he's got a hard fucking job. I get the impression he's business for 12 hours a day, 7 a week. Dude runs this shit

People can complain about the promoter speak all they want, at the end of the day when Dana is compared to the rest of these guys running other sports, I feel like I'm listening to a real dude. He's done a shitload for the sport, I have no problem taking his BS directed to the casual fans with a grain of salt
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dana wants more control of Strikeforce   Dana wants more control of Strikeforce EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 12:36 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
Ban Planking

I don't get why you hate that gif so much.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dana wants more control of Strikeforce   Dana wants more control of Strikeforce Empty

Back to top Go down

Dana wants more control of Strikeforce
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next