Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Gray Maynard leaving Xtreme Couture for AKA

Go down 
+2
KingsOwn19
bobbitt15
6 posters
AuthorMessage
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

Gray Maynard leaving Xtreme Couture for AKA Empty
PostSubject: Gray Maynard leaving Xtreme Couture for AKA   Gray Maynard leaving Xtreme Couture for AKA EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 8:07 pm

Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Gray Maynard leaving Xtreme Couture for AKA   Gray Maynard leaving Xtreme Couture for AKA EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 8:28 pm

I wonder why...Couture wasnt in his corner for his title fight so maybe there is some heat.

I was going to mention that Xtreme Couture product Michael Chandler beat Frankie Edgar's partner Eddie Alvarez in a fight pretty similar. Pretty neat connection, but i guess it's somewhat moot now.
Back to top Go down
Primetyme199
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
Primetyme199

PostSubject: Re: Gray Maynard leaving Xtreme Couture for AKA   Gray Maynard leaving Xtreme Couture for AKA EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 9:12 pm

How is Alvarez, Edgar's partner?
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Gray Maynard leaving Xtreme Couture for AKA   Gray Maynard leaving Xtreme Couture for AKA EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 9:17 pm

They are gay lovers, you didnt know?

They train together quite often...and there is tons of stuff available via search that backs that up. It was mentioned during Alvarez-Huerta as well that they train together and Edgar was also there in support of Eddie.

Last edited by KingsOwn19 on Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Primetyme199
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
Primetyme199

PostSubject: Re: Gray Maynard leaving Xtreme Couture for AKA   Gray Maynard leaving Xtreme Couture for AKA EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 9:19 pm

Not quite often, they do train together once in awhile when Alvarez goes to Almeida's. Alvarez trains out of The Fight Factory in Philadelphia.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

PostSubject: Re: Gray Maynard leaving Xtreme Couture for AKA   Gray Maynard leaving Xtreme Couture for AKA EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 9:20 pm

I know they don't belong to the same team, but a lot of guys don't belong to the same team and train together.
Back to top Go down
Primetyme199
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
Primetyme199

PostSubject: Re: Gray Maynard leaving Xtreme Couture for AKA   Gray Maynard leaving Xtreme Couture for AKA EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 9:23 pm

They don't train together all that much.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: Gray Maynard leaving Xtreme Couture for AKA   Gray Maynard leaving Xtreme Couture for AKA EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 9:27 pm

They mentioned that he was training with Frankie a few weeks ago the other day. (bellator)
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

PostSubject: Re: Gray Maynard leaving Xtreme Couture for AKA   Gray Maynard leaving Xtreme Couture for AKA EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 9:27 pm

Well, i guess i can't argue with the firm word of Prime that they IN FACT don't train together all that often. You sure know everything prime.
Back to top Go down
Primetyme199
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
Primetyme199

PostSubject: Re: Gray Maynard leaving Xtreme Couture for AKA   Gray Maynard leaving Xtreme Couture for AKA EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 9:30 pm

Well since I train with the same team, I do think I have a little more insight then people that don't train with us.
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: Gray Maynard leaving Xtreme Couture for AKA   Gray Maynard leaving Xtreme Couture for AKA EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 9:47 pm

Primetyme199 wrote:
Well since I train with the same team, I do think I have a little more insight then people that don't train with us.
SHOW OFF!!!

Cant go wrong with AKA though, I think Couture was filming for the EX2 and couldn't corner Gray. maybe they'll teach him something other than the uppercut at AKA Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Primetyme199
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
Primetyme199

PostSubject: Re: Gray Maynard leaving Xtreme Couture for AKA   Gray Maynard leaving Xtreme Couture for AKA EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 9:50 pm

I think the move will help him. Good people for him to train with at AKA.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

PostSubject: Re: Gray Maynard leaving Xtreme Couture for AKA   Gray Maynard leaving Xtreme Couture for AKA EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 10:03 pm

OK, but how do you know that Edgar-Alvarez training together is limited to whenever Alvarez happens to be at Almeida's..do you know that Edgar never goes to Fight Factory out of Philadelphia? Because he does..I was reading an interview with the guys who run the fight factory and they said Edgar comes over to Fight Factory and trains with Eddie and several other fighters over there before a fight..it suggest at some point during the training for an upcoming fight for Edgar...Alvarez and Edgar do train together. They also mentioned Eddie has a good relationship with Almeida's school and trains there periodically, like you said. There have been about 3 EA fights where they noted specifically that he had done some training with Edgar in preperation for the fight, even one time where Edgar was in attendance in support of Alvarez, which was in Philadelphia. They could be lying, but why would they?..and why wouldnt Edgar and Alvarez look to train with eachother before each fight. Considering they are both high level guys at the same weight class who have a working relationship.

I know they arent full time teammates or teammates at all, that is why i avoided the usage of word teammate in my original post in this thread. maybe partner suggested a more full time training...but from all i heard and read, they do train together more often than a blue moon. It might be every now and then that Alvarez comes in to your school every now and then, but do you know how often Edgar goes and train at Eddie's camp? Not saying you don't or you would not have more knowledge on it then me..you just said he didnt come into Almeida's all that often and thats that and what i read has backed that up somewhat...but also heard that Edgar trains at Eddie's camp often
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Gray Maynard leaving Xtreme Couture for AKA   Gray Maynard leaving Xtreme Couture for AKA EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 1:30 pm

“The Bully” spoke exclusively with HeavyMMA about the decision and what comes next.

“Leaving Xtreme Couture is something that has been going through my head for awhile,” Maynard said. “I know people want to assume the worst, but that isn’t the case. During my camp for Kenny Florian, I started to think about everything that is out there in this sport. A month before my fight with Edgar in Houston, I made my decision.

“I informed the gym (Xtreme Couture) that I would not be coming back. I felt it was important because win or lose, I wasn’t going to return for my training. I did things this way because I didn’t want to win the title and have people thinking I won the belt and left for something else. I made sure to tell them long before my fight on October 8th, so there wasn’t any confusion.

“Four weeks away from my fight against Edgar in Houston, I hurt my back, received an epidural and was out for a week and a half. I couldn’t go into the gym because there are always so many people coming and going who I don’t know. I didn’t want anyone to put it out there I was injured. Because of this I had to go to a small gym to train. Without bodies I couldn’t really spar heading into the fight, and the final month is the time to turn it up

“My training ended up being all over the place and it just wasn’t a good situation. I had to be very controlled with whatever training I could do. This is fighting and those things happen. I’m not making any excuses whatsoever. Fighters get hurt and for me it just happened at that time

“Again, this is MMA. I know this happens. You have to adjust to things as they come and I know I have to be prepared if it ever happens again. There are no excuses, but I can’t have another camp like my last one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gray Maynard leaving Xtreme Couture for AKA   Gray Maynard leaving Xtreme Couture for AKA Empty

Back to top Go down

Gray Maynard leaving Xtreme Couture for AKA
Page 1 of 1