Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Melvin Guillard vs Joe Lauzon in the works for UFC 136

Go down 
+3
killerofchicken
bobbitt15
boomer sooner
7 posters
AuthorMessage

Melvin Guillard vs Joe Lauzon in the works for UFC 136 Empty
PostSubject: Melvin Guillard vs Joe Lauzon in the works for UFC 136   Melvin Guillard vs Joe Lauzon in the works for UFC 136 EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 4:44 pm

Back to top Go down
boomer sooner
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, since way back

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Guillard vs Joe Lauzon in the works for UFC 136   Melvin Guillard vs Joe Lauzon in the works for UFC 136 EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 4:58 pm

Kind of a step-down. Why not Clay Guida?
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Guillard vs Joe Lauzon in the works for UFC 136   Melvin Guillard vs Joe Lauzon in the works for UFC 136 EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 7:00 pm

They're teammates
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Guillard vs Joe Lauzon in the works for UFC 136   Melvin Guillard vs Joe Lauzon in the works for UFC 136 EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 7:16 pm

he'd only fight a teammate if it was for the tittle
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Guillard vs Joe Lauzon in the works for UFC 136   Melvin Guillard vs Joe Lauzon in the works for UFC 136 EmptySat Jul 16, 2011 12:26 am

This is a good fight regardless. Joe Lauzon is a dangerous opponent for anyone.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
throwdownfight1
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Matt Hughes,Tito Ortiz,Frank Mir

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Guillard vs Joe Lauzon in the works for UFC 136   Melvin Guillard vs Joe Lauzon in the works for UFC 136 EmptySat Jul 16, 2011 2:28 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
This is a good fight regardless. Joe Lauzon is a dangerous opponent for anyone.

true but only for half the fight. then again melvin isnt so great in the later rounds either so yes, good fight regardless, there will be a finish
Back to top Go down
boomer sooner
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, since way back

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Guillard vs Joe Lauzon in the works for UFC 136   Melvin Guillard vs Joe Lauzon in the works for UFC 136 EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 12:17 am

Melvin should be fighting a contender now. Joe's not that. If not Clay, then maybe Sherk?
Back to top Go down
throwdownfight1
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Matt Hughes,Tito Ortiz,Frank Mir

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Guillard vs Joe Lauzon in the works for UFC 136   Melvin Guillard vs Joe Lauzon in the works for UFC 136 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 2:21 am

boomer sooner wrote:
Melvin should be fighting a contender now. Joe's not that. If not Clay, then maybe Sherk?

at one point when kenny was still a lw and didnt have a fight book earlier this year he called out melvin but melvin refused and turn down the fight. maybe melvin is confident enough to know joe wont be getting him down and will gass eventually like always. imo guida would sub him
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Guillard vs Joe Lauzon in the works for UFC 136   Melvin Guillard vs Joe Lauzon in the works for UFC 136 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 9:45 am

This is a good fight and could have some great surprises!
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Guillard vs Joe Lauzon in the works for UFC 136   Melvin Guillard vs Joe Lauzon in the works for UFC 136 EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 11:40 am

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/10/3/2465924/ufc-136-melvin-guillard-joe-lauzon-rashad-evans-jackson-jon-jones

Quote :
Melvin Guillard is set to face off with Joe Lauzon at this weekend's UFC 136 event. Guillard is riding a five fight win streak and appears to be on his way to a title shot in the near future, provided he continues his winning ways. The need to grow from fight to fight is a part of becoming championship material, and that's why Melvin is training with Rashad Evans at Imperial Athletics, despite Evans' feud with Melvin's usual training grounds at Jackson's Mixed Martial Arts.

Guillard explained the situation to Sherdog:

"I know a lot of people look at it like, ‘How are you at Jackson's and you train with Rashad?' Well, Rashad's been like a brother to me since Season 2," Guillard told Sherodg.com. "Jon ... he's my boy, he's my teammate. I stay out of their beef, and I keep myself neutral to everything. For everybody that don't know, that's what it is. I still love Rashad like a brother, and I love Jon like a teammate. There are gonna be other times when I'm gonna go to Imperial, and I'm probably gonna train there again."

While Mike Winkeljohn, Guillard's striking coach at Jackson's MMA, was not necessarily pleased with the manner in which the 28-year-old was lured to Imperial Athletics, he supports his fighter's journey as it relates to learning new skills.

"You always care about them wanting to wheel and deal their way into your fighter's heart through offers or different things to make [him] work out with them," Winkeljohn said. "I just told Melvin, ‘You know what, go learn some new stuff.' I got no problem with it as long as he learns something, and he comes back and shows you what he learned -- because we don't know it all."

Guillard has the right approach with his "the coaches work for me" attitude. Allowing yourself to get tangled up in the "my camp thinks" and "my teammate says" nonsense and putting camp before self is a very strange epidemic in MMA. I'm glad to see Melvin take the right path and worry about himself before caring what Jon Jones, Rashad Evans and the Jackson's trainers think about each other.

Jordan Breen had said a while back he was hearing rumors that Guillard had split with Jackson's. Sounds like he's just getting in some time elsewhere which can only help him. He still has Winklejohn for striking and some added time with Van Arsdale at Rashad's camp should be beneficial
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Guillard vs Joe Lauzon in the works for UFC 136   Melvin Guillard vs Joe Lauzon in the works for UFC 136 EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 3:04 pm

I feel like Melvin's time has come and he is gonna get beat come Saturday. He wasn't a contender back in his TUF days and he isn't now. He has vastly improved thruout the years since he was on TUF but aside from his KO power in the LW division, he isn't a complete fighter imo. I think Lauzon is an all around better fighter. Before any of u challenge my opinion, wait until Saturday.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Guillard vs Joe Lauzon in the works for UFC 136   Melvin Guillard vs Joe Lauzon in the works for UFC 136 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 10:05 am

good call bbc. Told yall bitches this was a good fight. J-Lau is legit men.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Guillard vs Joe Lauzon in the works for UFC 136   Melvin Guillard vs Joe Lauzon in the works for UFC 136 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 10:19 am

Wolfgangsta wrote:

You have to be right once in a while.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Guillard vs Joe Lauzon in the works for UFC 136   Melvin Guillard vs Joe Lauzon in the works for UFC 136 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 10:58 am

J-Lau had all the signs of getting blasted the fuck out of there. Melvin's stupid little I'm so fast I don't need to have my hands up routine just caught up to him. That kick and the only punches he landed were nasty. Joe got a nice jab on the chin that happens about once out of every 10 times these dudes fight
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Guillard vs Joe Lauzon in the works for UFC 136   Melvin Guillard vs Joe Lauzon in the works for UFC 136 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 3:14 pm

bobbitt15 wrote:
J-Lau had all the signs of getting blasted the fuck out of there. Melvin's stupid little I'm so fast I don't need to have my hands up routine just caught up to him. That kick and the only punches he landed were nasty. Joe got a nice jab on the chin that happens about once out of every 10 times these dudes fight

Melvin would probably beat Joe 2 out of 3 times and he did mess up and got cocky like he does all the time. Either way he was fighting Joe Lauzon. Joe is a gatekeeper for the top 10 and always will be. He is a more complete fighter then Melvin, but he lacks the talent that Melvin has. Say all you want about Melvin beating himself, but that is part of the game. He doesn't have the overall skills to win a belt and he never will. I'm not gonna sell an excuse like DW did last night. If u can't take Joe serious what makes us think he will ever be taken serious cause I'm curious on that one. He got sent packing on TUF and I can't forget that. Bring on Pettis and let's see how good he is. I'm taking Pettis if it happens.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Guillard vs Joe Lauzon in the works for UFC 136   Melvin Guillard vs Joe Lauzon in the works for UFC 136 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 3:18 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:

Thanks! I'm kinda being hard on some of the LW contenders today, but I still don't beleive in Melvin. Never will either.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Guillard vs Joe Lauzon in the works for UFC 136   Melvin Guillard vs Joe Lauzon in the works for UFC 136 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 8:41 pm

Lauzon might be legit but Guillard's emotions certainly played a factor here.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Guillard vs Joe Lauzon in the works for UFC 136   Melvin Guillard vs Joe Lauzon in the works for UFC 136 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 11:01 pm

Ali wrote:
Lauzon might be legit but Guillard's emotions certainly played a factor here.

I don't think either of them are legit. Joe is an all around better fighter though. Melvin has taken the headcase factor his whole career and its gettin old. Melvin may be able to outjump BJ and hit harder then Pettis, but that doesn't mean he has a better chance of beating them in a fight. There are too many things that factor into a complete fighter and at the same time be a true top guy. Melvin doesn't have that complete package. Joe Lauzon has a better complete package and that showed last night.

His package is just better than Melvin's......wait, I didn't mean it like, oh fuck it!

You know what I mean.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Guillard vs Joe Lauzon in the works for UFC 136   Melvin Guillard vs Joe Lauzon in the works for UFC 136 Empty

Back to top Go down

Melvin Guillard vs Joe Lauzon in the works for UFC 136
Page 1 of 1