Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

If you could pick ANY

Go down 
+10
Bigs03
bobbitt15
LTFG
oggy420
CainVelasquezFan
GolbeZ
Wolfgangsta
Farmer1906
OU
NoRegret
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wolfy

If you could pick ANY - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: If you could pick ANY   If you could pick ANY - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 02, 2009 4:51 pm

Bigs03 wrote:
LikesToFightGuy wrote:
They won despite Dilfer because that defense and their running game was that dominant! The exception proves the rule. Out of 43 Superbowls, you can name ONE QB who isn't a Hall Of Famer or at least was an above average to elite QB "at time" of said Superbowl. Again, more rare than a pink unicorn Oggy...

Listen to this list of winning Superbowl QB's... Bart Starr - 2 (HOF), Joe Namath (HOF), Len Dawson (HOF), Johnny Unitas (HOF), Roger Staubach - 2 (HOF), Bob Griese - 2 (HOF), Terry Bradshaw - 4 (HOF), Ken Stabler (Elite), Jim Plunkett - 2 (Above Average), Joe Montana - 4 (HOF), Joe Theismann (Above average), Jim McMahon (Above Average), Phil Simms - 2 (Above Average), Doug Williams (Average), Mark Rypien (Above Average), Troy Aikman - 3 (HOF), Steve Young (HOF), Brett Favre (HOF), John Elway - 2 (HOF), Kurt Warner (Elite), Trent Dilfer (Below Average), Tom Brady - 3 (HOF), Brad Johnson (Above Average), Ben Roethlisberger - 2 (Elite), Peyton Manning (HOF), Eli Manning (Above Average)

When you look at the case of McMahon, Plunkett, Johnson (Only real solid years during Superbowl years) and Dilfer... Look at the defenses of those teams. Some of the best in history. Dominating to where a QB could be mediocre or worse, and everyone other than Dilfer still had career years during those runs... In the case of Theismann, Rypien and Williams, Gibbs proved he could create a power run game, great defense and plug in average to above average QB's and win rings. I'll take my chances with real QB's who can lead a team over relying on defense any day (Though the defense helps, it isn't necessary with a great leader). And apparently that has been the modus operandi of the Superbowl winning teams... Again, the exception proves the rule.

Brad Johnson above average? That's a bit of a stretch.

At time of said Superbowl season, Bigs (Gotta read the fine print)... Brad Johnson passed for over 62% and 3,400 yards, had 22 TD's and 6 INT's and led the NFC with a 93 passer rating in only 13 games. Pretty damn good year... Definitely above average that year, wouldn't ya say?
Back to top Go down
discovery99
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt
discovery99

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ Penn

PostSubject: Re: If you could pick ANY   If you could pick ANY - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 02, 2009 5:47 pm

Most important position: QB - Peyton Manning

2nd most important position: Protection for QB's blindside - pencil in whoever the best LT is. Maybe Joe Thomas because he's young.

Target for QB - Calvin Johnson

Pressure the other team's QB - Justin Tuck

Then my last pick would be Haloti Ngata
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: If you could pick ANY   If you could pick ANY - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 03, 2009 8:31 pm

LikesToFightGuy wrote:
Wow... Some of you guys would make terrible GM's. In order to win in the NFL, you have to have a QB. If you dont have an above average QB on an otherwise great team you aren't winning a Superbowl. And a great QB can lead an otherwise above average team to a Superbowl win. But one thing is certain, a mediocre team with a mediocre QB is not winning dick. A great team with a poor QB is not winning dick. You can't rely on your Dilfer led great team to have a career year en route to a Superbowl where you win despite his below average performance... It's more rare than pink unicorns. The #2 spot has to be a left tackle (Right tackle if your QB's a lefty) to protect said wonderboy. From there you can add strength on defense (Big time pass rusher or line clogger and pass defender) or a stud RB or WR. GM-101 boys...

With that said, looking at todays talent you could give me any of the following as my QB... Brady, P. Manning, Roethlisberger or Brees. I'd take any to start my team. As my tackle, give me Walter Jones... Even at 34 and playing on a shit team he still dominates. I'm going defense with my third and taking Albert Haynesworth. Dude dominates the line like no one else right now. It's a toss up right now between a linebacker, safety or shut down corner for my fourth pick... I can't think of anyone that REALLY dominates at corner, so it's a toss up between DeMarcus Ware and Troy Polamalu (Would be Bob Sanders if he could ever stay healthy)... I'm going Polamalu. With my final pick, there's no one at the receiver position that dominates like Adrian Peterson at running back... So pick 5 goes to Peterson.

So... For arguments sake I'll take P. Manning, W. Jones, Haynesworth, Polamalu and Peterson...

says in my best willy wonka impression "wrong sir, you are WRONG". On an otherwise great team all you need is a decent quarterback, someone who can manage the game, throw for 100-150 yards a game and avoid giving the ball away twice a game. Don't believe me? Jim McMahon, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson...
Back to top Go down
discovery99
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt
discovery99

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ Penn

PostSubject: Re: If you could pick ANY   If you could pick ANY - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 04, 2009 2:20 am

LudoCain wrote:

says in my best willy wonka impression "wrong sir, you are WRONG". On an otherwise great team all you need is a decent quarterback, someone who can manage the game, throw for 100-150 yards a game and avoid giving the ball away twice a game. Don't believe me? Jim McMahon, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson...

exceptions that prove the rule^^

43 superbowls, 31 won by HOF or surefire future HOF QBs

out of the last 12 there's 11 different QBs: only 6 of them didn't make multiple pro bowls in their careers, and that includes Eli Manning who will make many...

basically you're only right five out of 43 times: Dilfer, Hostetler, Doug Williams, McMahon and Jim Plunkett
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: If you could pick ANY   If you could pick ANY - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 04, 2009 6:57 pm

My five guys to start a francise would be if I was starting it today I would take Big Ben, Calvin Johnson, Ed Reed, Albert Hanesworth, and Adrain Peterson. I would definitely have fun with these guys on my roster.
Back to top Go down
GolbeZ
Administrator
Administrator
GolbeZ

Favorite Fighter(s) : Condit, Machida, Aldo, Bendo, KJ Noons, Dominick Cruz The Praying Mantis

PostSubject: Re: If you could pick ANY   If you could pick ANY - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 04, 2009 10:10 pm

alright.. I am kinda down to take shaun hill at the moment ..

fucking shit.
Back to top Go down
SOKO
Black Belt
Black Belt
SOKO

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Dragon, Kenflo, Hendo, Guida, Ace, Wand, Cain, Carwin, Foreman, Evander, Oscar

PostSubject: Re: If you could pick ANY   If you could pick ANY - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 10:11 am

byron leftwich all day son.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: If you could pick ANY   If you could pick ANY - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

If you could pick ANY
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2