Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

If you could pick ANY

Go down 
+10
Bigs03
bobbitt15
LTFG
oggy420
CainVelasquezFan
GolbeZ
Wolfgangsta
Farmer1906
OU
NoRegret
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
NoRegret
Red Belt
Red Belt
NoRegret

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone that comes to FIGHT!

If you could pick ANY Empty
PostSubject: If you could pick ANY   If you could pick ANY EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 3:16 pm

5 players currently playing in the NFL to play for your team. Who would they be? They can be offensive, defensive, or even special teams guys.

My first guy I would go after before ANYBODY would be QB: Peyton Manning

after him i'd pry go with RB: Adrian Peterson

3rd guy would be WR: Larry Fitzgerald

4th guy would be S: Troy Polamalu

5th guy would be LB: Ray Lewis
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: If you could pick ANY   If you could pick ANY EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 3:26 pm

Ok just to clarify, is this a team we want for just 1 season? Or is this a starting a franchise kind of thing? If so Ray Ray is too old. AD and Fitz are great choices either way because of their youth. But when you start talking QBs Peyton is getting up there in age as well. But then again he is still significantly better then any young QB right now.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: If you could pick ANY   If you could pick ANY EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 3:27 pm

got to get back to work, this new job it still kicking my ass
Back to top Go down
NoRegret
Red Belt
Red Belt
NoRegret

PostSubject: Re: If you could pick ANY   If you could pick ANY EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 3:27 pm

starting a franchise.

Yeah, Ray is old but he's still one of the best linebackers in the NFL IMO and his passion, knowledge and intensity would spread to the rest of the defense.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: If you could pick ANY   If you could pick ANY EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 3:36 pm

DT Kevin Williams
DE Jared Allen
S Ed Reed
CB Nnamdi Asomugha
RB Adrian Peterson

Just think of those 4 guys teaming up with Mario Williams, Amobi Okoye, Demeco Ryans, Brian Chushing, and Dunta Robinson. That may be the best defense of all time if that happens.

Peterson would be the power and workhouse back with Slaton to mix it up and catch screens.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: If you could pick ANY   If you could pick ANY EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 3:37 pm

I based mine off 5 players currently playing in the NFL to play for your team. My team being the Texans.
Back to top Go down
NoRegret
Red Belt
Red Belt
NoRegret

PostSubject: Re: If you could pick ANY   If you could pick ANY EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 3:42 pm

I did it as starting a franchise because well...my team is the Browns and yeah...lets not even begin to discuss what all they need to get better....
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: If you could pick ANY   If you could pick ANY EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 4:06 pm

Kevin Kolb, Chad Johnson, Cedric Benson, Michael Crabtree, Mike Vick, Adam Archaleta
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
GolbeZ
Administrator
Administrator
GolbeZ

Favorite Fighter(s) : Condit, Machida, Aldo, Bendo, KJ Noons, Dominick Cruz The Praying Mantis

PostSubject: Re: If you could pick ANY   If you could pick ANY EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 4:25 pm

Who I would add to the Cowboys..

WR Larry Fitzgerald
FS Ed Reed
SS Troy Polamalu
CB Champ Bailey
OLB James Harrison
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: If you could pick ANY   If you could pick ANY EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 4:39 pm

GolbeZ wrote:
Who I would add to the Cowboys..

WR Larry Fitzgerald
FS Ed Reed
SS Troy Polamalu
CB Champ Bailey
OLB James Harrison

I'd start with an assassin to take care of Jerry Jones, then I'd get a real coach, followed by a real quarterback.

Seriously Jerry Jones is another circus season from Al Davis status.
Back to top Go down
CainVelasquezFan
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
CainVelasquezFan

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cain Velasquez and Diaz Brothers, Urijah Faber, Gilbert Melendez and Jon Jones

PostSubject: Re: If you could pick ANY   If you could pick ANY EmptyFri Oct 02, 2009 1:29 am

farmer wanting 3 vikings.. u have a crush with my team farmer?..
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

PostSubject: Re: If you could pick ANY   If you could pick ANY EmptyFri Oct 02, 2009 1:36 am

CainVelasquezFan wrote:
farmer wanting 3 vikings.. u have a crush with my team farmer?..

Just the DL mainly, but can you blame me?

I actually like Pat Williams the best because he's an Aggie!
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

PostSubject: Re: If you could pick ANY   If you could pick ANY EmptyFri Oct 02, 2009 11:59 am

Adrian Peterson
Darell Revis
Bart Scott
David Harris
Nick Mangold
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wolfy

PostSubject: Re: If you could pick ANY   If you could pick ANY EmptyFri Oct 02, 2009 12:57 pm

Wow... Some of you guys would make terrible GM's. In order to win in the NFL, you have to have a QB. If you dont have an above average QB on an otherwise great team you aren't winning a Superbowl. And a great QB can lead an otherwise above average team to a Superbowl win. But one thing is certain, a mediocre team with a mediocre QB is not winning dick. A great team with a poor QB is not winning dick. You can't rely on your Dilfer led great team to have a career year en route to a Superbowl where you win despite his below average performance... It's more rare than pink unicorns. The #2 spot has to be a left tackle (Right tackle if your QB's a lefty) to protect said wonderboy. From there you can add strength on defense (Big time pass rusher or line clogger and pass defender) or a stud RB or WR. GM-101 boys...

With that said, looking at todays talent you could give me any of the following as my QB... Brady, P. Manning, Roethlisberger or Brees. I'd take any to start my team. As my tackle, give me Walter Jones... Even at 34 and playing on a shit team he still dominates. I'm going defense with my third and taking Albert Haynesworth. Dude dominates the line like no one else right now. It's a toss up right now between a linebacker, safety or shut down corner for my fourth pick... I can't think of anyone that REALLY dominates at corner, so it's a toss up between DeMarcus Ware and Troy Polamalu (Would be Bob Sanders if he could ever stay healthy)... I'm going Polamalu. With my final pick, there's no one at the receiver position that dominates like Adrian Peterson at running back... So pick 5 goes to Peterson.

So... For arguments sake I'll take P. Manning, W. Jones, Haynesworth, Polamalu and Peterson...
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: If you could pick ANY   If you could pick ANY EmptyFri Oct 02, 2009 1:40 pm

Added to Bengals: OT-Bryant McKinnie, OG- Steve Hutchinson, S- Ed Reed, LB- Patrick Willis, DT- Albert Haynesworth,
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

PostSubject: Re: If you could pick ANY   If you could pick ANY EmptyFri Oct 02, 2009 1:44 pm

is that why the Ravens won a superbowl with Trent Dilfer?

Child Please. The key to being a succesful team isn't all about flashy wr's a 50 yard td bombs. While it is nice to have an elite qb, it is not neccessary to win.

If you dont have a capable O-line to protect your qb and provide a running attack your offense will go no where. Give me an average qb with a great o-line and good rb over the best qb in the league with an o-line that can't protect him. We saw what happened week 2 when the Jets took the Pats O out of their game cause they couldn't protect Brady.

Another key to being a superbowl winning team is having a top defense that can get consistent pressure on the qb without giving up big plays and stopping the run.
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wolfy

PostSubject: Re: If you could pick ANY   If you could pick ANY EmptyFri Oct 02, 2009 2:27 pm

They won despite Dilfer because that defense and their running game was that dominant! The exception proves the rule. Out of 43 Superbowls, you can name ONE QB who isn't a Hall Of Famer or at least was an above average to elite QB "at time" of said Superbowl. Again, more rare than a pink unicorn Oggy...

Listen to this list of winning Superbowl QB's... Bart Starr - 2 (HOF), Joe Namath (HOF), Len Dawson (HOF), Johnny Unitas (HOF), Roger Staubach - 2 (HOF), Bob Griese - 2 (HOF), Terry Bradshaw - 4 (HOF), Ken Stabler (Elite), Jim Plunkett - 2 (Above Average), Joe Montana - 4 (HOF), Joe Theismann (Above average), Jim McMahon (Above Average), Phil Simms - 2 (Above Average), Doug Williams (Average), Mark Rypien (Above Average), Troy Aikman - 3 (HOF), Steve Young (HOF), Brett Favre (HOF), John Elway - 2 (HOF), Kurt Warner (Elite), Trent Dilfer (Below Average), Tom Brady - 3 (HOF), Brad Johnson (Above Average), Ben Roethlisberger - 2 (Elite), Peyton Manning (HOF), Eli Manning (Above Average)

When you look at the case of McMahon, Plunkett, Johnson (Only real solid years during Superbowl years) and Dilfer... Look at the defenses of those teams. Some of the best in history. Dominating to where a QB could be mediocre or worse, and everyone other than Dilfer still had career years during those runs... In the case of Theismann, Rypien and Williams, Gibbs proved he could create a power run game, great defense and plug in average to above average QB's and win rings. I'll take my chances with real QB's who can lead a team over relying on defense any day (Though the defense helps, it isn't necessary with a great leader). And apparently that has been the modus operandi of the Superbowl winning teams... Again, the exception proves the rule.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

Favorite Fighter(s) : Fedor and GSP

PostSubject: Re: If you could pick ANY   If you could pick ANY EmptyFri Oct 02, 2009 2:32 pm

LikesToFightGuy wrote:
They won despite Dilfer because that defense and their running game was that dominant! The exception proves the rule. Out of 43 Superbowls, you can name ONE QB who isn't a Hall Of Famer or at least was an above average to elite QB "at time" of said Superbowl. Again, more rare than a pink unicorn Oggy...

Listen to this list of winning Superbowl QB's... Bart Starr - 2 (HOF), Joe Namath (HOF), Len Dawson (HOF), Johnny Unitas (HOF), Roger Staubach - 2 (HOF), Bob Griese - 2 (HOF), Terry Bradshaw - 4 (HOF), Ken Stabler (Elite), Jim Plunkett - 2 (Above Average), Joe Montana - 4 (HOF), Joe Theismann (Above average), Jim McMahon (Above Average), Phil Simms - 2 (Above Average), Doug Williams (Average), Mark Rypien (Above Average), Troy Aikman - 3 (HOF), Steve Young (HOF), Brett Favre (HOF), John Elway - 2 (HOF), Kurt Warner (Elite), Trent Dilfer (Below Average), Tom Brady - 3 (HOF), Brad Johnson (Above Average), Ben Roethlisberger - 2 (Elite), Peyton Manning (HOF), Eli Manning (Above Average)

When you look at the case of McMahon, Plunkett, Johnson (Only real solid years during Superbowl years) and Dilfer... Look at the defenses of those teams. Some of the best in history. Dominating to where a QB could be mediocre or worse, and everyone other than Dilfer still had career years during those runs... In the case of Theismann, Rypien and Williams, Gibbs proved he could create a power run game, great defense and plug in average to above average QB's and win rings. I'll take my chances with real QB's who can lead a team over relying on defense any day (Though the defense helps, it isn't necessary with a great leader). And apparently that has been the modus operandi of the Superbowl winning teams... Again, the exception proves the rule.

Brad Johnson above average? That's a bit of a stretch.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: If you could pick ANY   If you could pick ANY EmptyFri Oct 02, 2009 2:44 pm

oggy420 wrote:
is that why the Ravens won a superbowl with Trent Dilfer?

Child Please. The key to being a succesful team isn't all about flashy wr's a 50 yard td bombs. While it is nice to have an elite qb, it is not neccessary to win.

If you dont have a capable O-line to protect your qb and provide a running attack your offense will go no where. Give me an average qb with a great o-line and good rb over the best qb in the league with an o-line that can't protect him. We saw what happened week 2 when the Jets took the Pats O out of their game cause they couldn't protect Brady.

Another key to being a superbowl winning team is having a top defense that can get consistent pressure on the qb without giving up big plays and stopping the run.

Look at who has won all the SB's since 1990. The Ravens are the exception that proves the rule. Brett Favre, John Elway, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Kurt Warner, Steve Young, Troy Aikman, Big Ben, Tom Brady and the list goes on.

Defense doesn't win championships, balance wins championships, the Colts were the first team also in that span to win a SB without a top ten ranked defense through the season.

Every year there is a team with a good running game and a top defense that gets squished in the title game. Look at Kerry Collins and the Titans last season.

You have a better chance to win a superbowl with an elite QB, and a top ten defense than an average QB and a top three defense. Stats prove it.

"defense wins championships" is in a basic sense a lie.

I got yo back LTFG
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: If you could pick ANY   If you could pick ANY EmptyFri Oct 02, 2009 2:45 pm

snap son LTFG handled that business while I was.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: If you could pick ANY   If you could pick ANY EmptyFri Oct 02, 2009 2:47 pm

Brad Johnson was money that year.
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

PostSubject: Re: If you could pick ANY   If you could pick ANY EmptyFri Oct 02, 2009 2:54 pm

ok ok. So it helps to have a good qb lol.

That why i took one who has won 2 already. But i still say you need a defense that can at least keep you in the games to win.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: If you could pick ANY   If you could pick ANY EmptyFri Oct 02, 2009 2:56 pm

oggy420 wrote:
ok ok. So it helps to have a good qb lol.

That why i took one who has won 2 already. But i still say you need a defense that can at least keep you in the games to win.

It's a lot like the fight game. Maybe at one point a ground game and good defense was you needed to win championships in both sports, but now you need good coaching, athleticism, offense, gameplans, well roundedness, good ground games, defense and striking/air attack.
Back to top Go down
GolbeZ
Administrator
Administrator
GolbeZ

Favorite Fighter(s) : Condit, Machida, Aldo, Bendo, KJ Noons, Dominick Cruz The Praying Mantis

PostSubject: Re: If you could pick ANY   If you could pick ANY EmptyFri Oct 02, 2009 3:33 pm

I am not as quick to jump off Romo as it seems everyone else is... and with Peyton getting old and Brady's knee/playing like ass atm .. I wouldnt waste 1 of my only 5 picks on any other QB out there.. shit I would take an elite OL before Big Ben.. I gave the offense a true #1 receiver (that doesnt have mental problems) and than upgraded my defense to elite...

I am pretty sure that would get it done.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: If you could pick ANY   If you could pick ANY EmptyFri Oct 02, 2009 4:18 pm

Brady isn't playing like "ass". He had a bad game but otherwise has had a solid season so far.

Romo has had a horrendous game however. Romo also is a mental midget with no track record past November. He is only three years younger.

Romo sucks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: If you could pick ANY   If you could pick ANY Empty

Back to top Go down

If you could pick ANY
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next