Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Wire season 1

Go down 
+4
Birdofthad
bobbitt15
josh200612
Wolfgangsta
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

The Wire season 1 Empty
PostSubject: The Wire season 1   The Wire season 1 EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 3:26 pm

Halfway through the season. It takes a second to adjust to the speed and slang of the show but it really is quality TV.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
josh200612
Silver Belt
Silver Belt
josh200612

Favorite Fighter(s) : Rashad Evans #1!,Rampage,GSP,Couture,Chael Sonnen,BJ Penn,Robbie Lawler,King MO,Frank Mir

The Wire season 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wire season 1   The Wire season 1 EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 3:31 pm

lol wolf.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

The Wire season 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wire season 1   The Wire season 1 EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 3:33 pm

Season 1/3 are both really good. The rest of the show I always felt was overrated
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

The Wire season 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wire season 1   The Wire season 1 EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 4:04 pm

your just starting?
Back to top Go down

The Wire season 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wire season 1   The Wire season 1 EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 6:09 pm

The Wire took me awhile to adjust too, the slang and culture isn't something I am used to. But once I invested I became absolutely hooked, it's the only show out there that has come close to the quality of The Sopranos IMO.

Season Four is my favorite and I feel it's also the best one in the series.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

The Wire season 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wire season 1   The Wire season 1 EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 6:51 pm

Just wait until Marlow Stamfield enters the picture. Great show though, I have the boxset DVD and watch it through from time to time. Omar Little is an instant classic type character.
Back to top Go down
NJBeatdown86
Blue Belt
Blue Belt
NJBeatdown86

Favorite Fighter(s) : Highlander, Ricardo Romero,Roman Gonzalez, Pongsaklek Wonjongkam, Marco Huck, JMM, Frankie Edgar, Jose Aldo

The Wire season 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wire season 1   The Wire season 1 EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 10:57 pm

One of my all time favorite shows. I didn't feel that the last two seasons were as strong, but were still very good.

I'd have to rank the seasons 3,1,2,4,5.

Most of season 1 was actually based off the case against Melvin Williams, who actually played the deacon from seasons 3-5
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

The Wire season 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wire season 1   The Wire season 1 EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 11:06 pm

yep check out Melvin Williams American Gangster episode, hes the one who created the paging code system that stumped the cops
Back to top Go down
NJBeatdown86
Blue Belt
Blue Belt
NJBeatdown86

Favorite Fighter(s) : Highlander, Ricardo Romero,Roman Gonzalez, Pongsaklek Wonjongkam, Marco Huck, JMM, Frankie Edgar, Jose Aldo

The Wire season 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wire season 1   The Wire season 1 EmptyWed Apr 13, 2011 1:04 am

Much of The Wire was based off real life cases in Baltimore.

-Omar is based off of several real life "rip and runners"

-Bubbles was the name of a homeless junkie police informant

-Clay Davis is based after a former state senator, who made a cameo on season 5 as a radio talk show host.

- Randy's house getting firebombed came from a case where a woman who called the cops on local drug dealers was killed along with her family.

-Most of season two was inspired from stories that one of the writers heard, as he worked as a stevedore for six months to get a feel for the position.

-Carcetti's election (splitting the black vote amongst two other candidates) and eventually becoming gov. was based after Martin O'Malley's similar rise.
Back to top Go down
Cu Bu
Black Belt
Black Belt
Cu Bu

Favorite Fighter(s) : AXE MURDERER

The Wire season 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wire season 1   The Wire season 1 EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 9:42 am

its good shit wolf rival to the sopranos IMO
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

The Wire season 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wire season 1   The Wire season 1 EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 12:20 pm

season one at first was like ehh, then ok sure, then aight cool, then woah awesome and finally shut yo mouth dag!!

Can't believe the way Poot did Wallace. Seriously fuck dem niggaz.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

The Wire season 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wire season 1   The Wire season 1 EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 1:30 pm

Wallace wasn't cut out for the life anyway. They did him a favor by doing it clean instead of how Omars boy got killed.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

The Wire season 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wire season 1   The Wire season 1 EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 3:42 pm

yea but poot was his best friend and wouldn't have been implicated in shit, but he had to snatch the gun and unload on him? Garbage. And yea, Wallace was a soft motherfucker.
Back to top Go down
NJBeatdown86
Blue Belt
Blue Belt
NJBeatdown86

The Wire season 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wire season 1   The Wire season 1 EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 5:55 pm

Bodie already had him down ready to die, Poot just put him out of his misery.

And if you think that was cold, wait until you the shit Marlo does.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

The Wire season 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wire season 1   The Wire season 1 EmptyThu Apr 28, 2011 11:41 pm

No in the middle of season 3. Awesome show! Blows Dexter out of the water. Only show that holds a candle to this is BB.
Back to top Go down
NJBeatdown86
Blue Belt
Blue Belt
NJBeatdown86

The Wire season 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wire season 1   The Wire season 1 EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 12:30 am

How did you like season 2? I enjoyed it but most people didn't like the whole port angle. Ziggy really annoyed the shit out of me.

And Brother Mouzone needs a spinoff series, following the adventures of a militant black muslim gangsta and his dim-witted side kick Lamar.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

The Wire season 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wire season 1   The Wire season 1 EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 9:40 pm

Season 2 was great. I really liked the divergence from the gangsterness of the inner city drug trade to highlight the plight of the blue collar class in a declining urban setting. There is more to a city in turmoil than simply drug dealers. I also think Frank Sabotka is an important character. I read he typifies idea that the nature of bureaucracy within institutions can drive "good" people down "bad" paths. This idea is important to the show and one of the only "statements" it makes.

But now that you mention it, if people were watching because they like to see gangsters and for other reasons besides the story telling and direction(the real reason) then yea, I imagine those people wouldn't like it. But to be a dickhead for a moment, if you like the first or the third and don't like the second, you're watching for the wrong reasons and probably don't even like the show for what is really is anyway.
Back to top Go down
NJBeatdown86
Blue Belt
Blue Belt
NJBeatdown86

The Wire season 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wire season 1   The Wire season 1 EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 10:42 pm

I agree. I actually had the pleasure of meeting David Simon and a few of the cast members at my college a couple of years ago, and he said that the point of season 2 was lost on most critics and fans, and that in his mind, it was the most important season in terms of a message (along with season 5, which focused on the media).

On side note, right before I entered the auditorium I saw Michael K. Williams (Omar) getting a soda. I loudly go "OH SHIT OMAR COMIN'". He looks up, laughs and says "Im gonna hear that the rest of my life".
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

The Wire season 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wire season 1   The Wire season 1 EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 11:27 pm

Quote :

I agree. I actually had the pleasure of meeting David Simon and a few of the cast members at my college a couple of years ago, and he said that the point of season 2 was lost on most critics and fans, and that in his mind, it was the most important season in terms of a message (along with season 5, which focused on the media).

I didn't realize there was a backlash or negative response to season 2 as such. That is unfortunate. I thought the season was "pure wire" anyway.

Quote :

On side note, right before I entered the auditorium I saw Michael K. Williams (Omar) getting a soda. I loudly go "OH SHIT OMAR COMIN'". He looks up, laughs and says "Im gonna hear that the rest of my life".

That's gold!
Back to top Go down
NJBeatdown86
Blue Belt
Blue Belt
NJBeatdown86

The Wire season 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wire season 1   The Wire season 1 EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 11:57 pm

season two is generally regarded as third or fourth amongst the five seasons by most fans. The feeling is that while it was a strong season, the port angle got away too much from the main focus of the show. But as mentioned, the port angle really was what the show was all about.

The only real negative backlash was against the final season. I won't spoil anything, but McNulty comes up with an insane, unbelievable plot to bring down Marlo, and most of the stuff about the decline of the local media/newspapers felt forced.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

The Wire season 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wire season 1   The Wire season 1 EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 12:05 am

I spoiled all of that myself just now googling around. Sad
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

The Wire season 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wire season 1   The Wire season 1 EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 12:07 am

But you would have spoiled season 4 anyway because I would know then marlo doesn't die in that season at any point. No more talk of specific plot elements of those seasons until I am done with them as a favor guys, ok???
Back to top Go down
NJBeatdown86
Blue Belt
Blue Belt
NJBeatdown86

The Wire season 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wire season 1   The Wire season 1 EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 12:14 am

lol sorry wolf
Back to top Go down

The Wire season 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wire season 1   The Wire season 1 EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 9:13 am

The only season I ain't fond of is the fifth, McNulty's whole storyline in that season just irritated me.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

The Wire season 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wire season 1   The Wire season 1 EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 3:09 pm

finished the show recently. Season 4 and 5 weren't as good as the previous but all still good. 5 was the weakest.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Wire season 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wire season 1   The Wire season 1 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Wire season 1
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next