Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rampage has done tremendous harm to the UFC's marketing strategy this fall.

Go down 
+4
KingsOwn19
LA
bobbitt15
Wolfgangsta
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

Rampage has done tremendous harm to the UFC's marketing strategy this fall. Empty
PostSubject: Rampage has done tremendous harm to the UFC's marketing strategy this fall.   Rampage has done tremendous harm to the UFC's marketing strategy this fall. EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 12:49 am

1. He backs out of a killer year end super card that would have easily been able to approach a million buys after the hype the show and the smack talk brings.

2. His backing out sort of makes this TUF season a lame duck. If Kimbo goes down next week, what's to watch really? The ratings for this show will fall once Kimbo loses. Roy Nelson getting scolded by Rashad and Wes Sims can't carry a show ya know.

3. The UFC had to scratch that other November card designed to counter program Fedor. BJ-Diego had to be moved to December. They have no ability to string together a card to compete with Strikeforce. White says Fedor will not be counter-programmed.

Rampage taking a comic relief roll in some step above B movie comedy action joke will cost the UFC untold millions. And none of this "The A-Team is a serious movie" business. It's hard to envision a world where that crap doesn't end up to be a cheesy worthless flop. It's the fucking A-Team. I'm 25 and I'd never even heard of the "A-Team" until like literally two years ago. What the fuck is the A-team really? Does anyone give a shit about the fucking "A-team"?
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

Rampage has done tremendous harm to the UFC's marketing strategy this fall. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rampage has done tremendous harm to the UFC's marketing strategy this fall.   Rampage has done tremendous harm to the UFC's marketing strategy this fall. EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 1:04 am

I doubt many people still care about the A-Team but with Bradley Cooper, Liam Neeson, and Jessica Biel apparently set to be in it I'm sure it will do alright at the box office
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Rampage has done tremendous harm to the UFC's marketing strategy this fall.   Rampage has done tremendous harm to the UFC's marketing strategy this fall. EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 1:07 am

Damn that's who's in it? and Page is playing Mr. T?

And I'll say he did ruin those 2 potential great fights for sho
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Rampage has done tremendous harm to the UFC's marketing strategy this fall.   Rampage has done tremendous harm to the UFC's marketing strategy this fall. EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 1:09 am

Yeah and the dude who was just in District 9 is rumored to be playing the other part apparently

And yes him backing out of the fight does suck
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Rampage has done tremendous harm to the UFC's marketing strategy this fall.   Rampage has done tremendous harm to the UFC's marketing strategy this fall. EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 1:13 am

Yeah. Rampage has been pretty lame this year. I thought he was going to have huge year after knocking out Wanderlei last december and beating Jardine. Just did not happen. Excuse after excuse after excuse.

It partially worked out though. Not accepting the original fight with Evans set up Lyoto getting his rightful shot at the title.
Back to top Go down
discovery99
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt
discovery99

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ Penn

PostSubject: Re: Rampage has done tremendous harm to the UFC's marketing strategy this fall.   Rampage has done tremendous harm to the UFC's marketing strategy this fall. EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 8:00 am

I'm with you on the not knowing/caring what the A-Team was. But you know what I care even less about? The UFC's marketing strategy.

Rampage got a great opportunity, rightfully took it... and the fight with Rashad will happen probably a month or two later.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Rampage has done tremendous harm to the UFC's marketing strategy this fall.   Rampage has done tremendous harm to the UFC's marketing strategy this fall. EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 1:45 pm

discovery99 wrote:
I'm with you on the not knowing/caring what the A-Team was. But you know what I care even less about? The UFC's marketing strategy.

Rampage got a great opportunity, rightfully took it... and the fight with Rashad will happen probably a month or two later.

You or I may not care, but the UFC care's, and Page straight up dicked them. I guess the A-Team(which I see as a starsky and hutch quality movie, maybe a little better) makes PAge more marketable. So I don't see the UFC giving him the cold shoulder right now. but he better win a couple fights or they might.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: Rampage has done tremendous harm to the UFC's marketing strategy this fall.   Rampage has done tremendous harm to the UFC's marketing strategy this fall. EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 2:24 pm

I can see everybody's POV on Page, but who really cares about countering SF/M-1? I mean yes we hardcore fans will watch and CBS will make another push on behalf of programming, but SF and Fedor combined still doesn't carry the UFC's water as far as name recognition to the general public. I realize that to some that it is tantamount to sacrilege to say such a thing, but the numbers speak for themselves. I am hoping that they have to compete against a decent football game that evening, just to see where they are as far as popularity though.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Rampage has done tremendous harm to the UFC's marketing strategy this fall.   Rampage has done tremendous harm to the UFC's marketing strategy this fall. EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 6:47 pm

Andrew the Raider King wrote:
I can see everybody's POV on Page, but who really cares about countering SF/M-1? I mean yes we hardcore fans will watch and CBS will make another push on behalf of programming, but SF and Fedor combined still doesn't carry the UFC's water as far as name recognition to the general public. I realize that to some that it is tantamount to sacrilege to say such a thing, but the numbers speak for themselves. I am hoping that they have to compete against a decent football game that evening, just to see where they are as far as popularity though.

True UFC is still top dog, but SF on free TV featuring the #1 p4p guy in the sport(+ at least one other high qualtiy fight in Shields Miller) is tough to match up against.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: Rampage has done tremendous harm to the UFC's marketing strategy this fall.   Rampage has done tremendous harm to the UFC's marketing strategy this fall. EmptySat Sep 19, 2009 2:00 am

I am not talking free though Cap. I am talking "name recognition" and Fedor and SF don't have what the UFC has combined! That is why Yahoo changed the name from MMA to UFC and added twice the amount of its it normally does on that page alone. I agree and will be watching the fight, but that is me. I want more mainstream sports fans, because that inflates the numbers and promotes my favorite sport.
Back to top Go down
BigBertha
White Belt
White Belt

PostSubject: Re: Rampage has done tremendous harm to the UFC's marketing strategy this fall.   Rampage has done tremendous harm to the UFC's marketing strategy this fall. EmptySat Sep 19, 2009 1:35 pm

I have a little different POV than most of you on this. I think financially this makes total sense for Rampage to do the movie. I don't know how much he is getting for the movie, but I would think it would be more than what he makes for a fight. Also, this will get his name out to more people and that will bring more of these type movies, will he win an Academy Award? Probably not, but he will probably win some bullshit award at the MTV Movie Awards show. I don't think Cung Le is a good measuring stick for how MMA fighters will do in that business, because he doesn't have the personality that Rampage has. I think like someone said before me, this will get more people in Rampage as a fighter and possibly bring more people to the shows and or buying the PPVs. Also not on the subject but does the UFC schedule weaker shows during football season because they don't want to compete with college football?
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Rampage has done tremendous harm to the UFC's marketing strategy this fall.   Rampage has done tremendous harm to the UFC's marketing strategy this fall. EmptySat Sep 19, 2009 2:06 pm

Actually Dana said he isn't making shit for doing this movie FWIW
Back to top Go down
BigBertha
White Belt
White Belt

PostSubject: Re: Rampage has done tremendous harm to the UFC's marketing strategy this fall.   Rampage has done tremendous harm to the UFC's marketing strategy this fall. EmptySat Sep 19, 2009 2:16 pm

Well, he may have said that, but with him you kind of have to read between the lines. I think with most of these guys its all about the money, and they are going to do what will give them the best chance to retire young and still have a high quality of life. What does he make per fight? I think I saw $400k, does that include endorsements and a cut of the gate? Or do they get that?
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Rampage has done tremendous harm to the UFC's marketing strategy this fall.   Rampage has done tremendous harm to the UFC's marketing strategy this fall. EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 12:57 pm

Im actually glad Page has been a pussy. Because Lyoto got his shot, and Fedor won't be counter programmed.

Name recognition or not, in terms of total viewers, this should still be one of the most watched fights in MMA history. Especially since he's not a joke like Kimbo. Fedor does have some traits that generate interest.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rampage has done tremendous harm to the UFC's marketing strategy this fall.   Rampage has done tremendous harm to the UFC's marketing strategy this fall. Empty

Back to top Go down

Rampage has done tremendous harm to the UFC's marketing strategy this fall.
Page 1 of 1