Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Josh Barnett:

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

Josh Barnett: Empty
PostSubject: Josh Barnett:   Josh Barnett: EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 4:45 am

It wasn't too long ago Josh was considered one of the best HWs in the World. At one time some felt he was Fedor's greatest challenge. Obviously times have changed, Barnett is now still trying to recover reputation wise from a failed drug test, hasn't really looked on form in recent years, and really hasn't fought the level of competition he did back in Pride where you could gage where he is still at as a fighter. A unique opportunity presents itself in SF and in the SF HW "Prix" for Barnett though. A fighter with top level talent, but a cloud of question marks gets a chance to reinvigorate his career. While SF's 4 top HWs fight it out on one side of the "Prix", Barnett finds himself on what for knowledgable fans is the "Prix's" ugly stepsister. Not to say there isn't talent there, but there is also very favorable fights for an on form Barnett. If Barnett can find the "Fountain of Pride", he could very quietly find himself in the "Prix" Final, facing off with a chance to win the SF belt.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Josh Barnett:   Josh Barnett: EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 4:51 am

How poetic. Barnett has an easier road for sure but that is just SF doing their best to make the best first round match ups. AA could find the fountain of 2008 easily and end up smashing fools. Sergei is a dangerous K1 level fighter with Sambo experience. Rogers is the least rounded of the prospects but a heavy hitter with size and speed in his punches. His road is easier but it aint easy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Josh Barnett:   Josh Barnett: EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 5:03 am

I'm liking Barnett's chances though, only problems, cage rust and where is he training these days? The matchups, Rogers is going to swing we know that, I'd expect Barnett to play it smart and take him down, kind of feeling Barnett subbing him here. The 2nd rd would depend on who he gets, AA or Serg, and how they and Josh looked in their wins.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Josh Barnett:   Josh Barnett: EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 5:17 am

I'm kind of wishing Sergei or AA backs out and Cormier gets in.

My bracket would have had Cormier(provided he wins this week) taking on Del Rosario, and Barnett vs AA. With reserve bouts between Brett Rogers and Lavar Johnson and Sergei vs Othereem.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Josh Barnett:   Josh Barnett: EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 8:23 pm

I love how you refer to the Prix as "Prix" like it isnt a real tournament , yet the UFC has had a tournament going on for 2 years hahahah
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: Josh Barnett:   Josh Barnett: EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 8:37 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
I'm kind of wishing Sergei or AA backs out and Cormier gets in.

My bracket would have had Cormier(provided he wins this week) taking on Del Rosario, and Barnett vs AA. With reserve bouts between Brett Rogers and Lavar Johnson and Sergei vs Othereem.

This is how they should've made the tournament.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Josh Barnett:   Josh Barnett: EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 9:01 pm

Birdofthad wrote:
I love how you refer to the Prix as "Prix" like it isnt a real tournament , yet the UFC has had a tournament going on for 2 years hahahah

No mention by me of the UFC having a running Tourney for two years, but the UFC does technically always have tourney's running in every division without slapping "Prix" on top of it. Rampage vs Machida, Shogun vs Rashad, Forrest vs Franklin, Bones vs Bader....Tournament for the Title? What SF did was setup the Title fight with number 1 condender as it should, the next number 1 contenders fight as it should, then basically said Barnett, Rogers, Serg, AA, if one of you guys wins your next 2, you get a Title shot.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Josh Barnett:   Josh Barnett: EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 9:49 pm

Barnett may be the darkhorse. Then again, Sergei Kharitonov was no joke in Pride eithier...and maybe AA hits a stride again. That side of the bracket is definetly very intriuging and all i can see ending up in the finals outside of Grim who i think is overmatched against Barnett big time, horrible matchup style wise.

A rematch with AA or a bout with Sergei would give Rogers some consideration because those guys will stand and bang and Rogers can clip them. Barnett is just going to take him down and pound him until the ref stops or he locks in a kimura.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Josh Barnett:   Josh Barnett: Empty

Back to top Go down

Josh Barnett:
Page 1 of 1