Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rafael Marquez out 6 months, hair line fracture

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

Rafael Marquez out 6 months, hair line fracture Empty
PostSubject: Rafael Marquez out 6 months, hair line fracture   Rafael Marquez out 6 months, hair line fracture EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 5:56 pm

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=32632

Featherweight Rafael Marquez will be out of action for six months due to the injury he suffered to his right shoulder during Saturday's exciting fight against Puerto Rican southpaw Juan Manuel Lopez, the WBO featherweight. The fight happened at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. The injury prevent Marquez from being able to come out for the ninth round. The recovery period will prevent Marquez from fighting Lopez in a possible March rematch.

"The doctor said I have a hairline fracture in the right shoulder blade. He recommended a rest period of 180-days," Marquez said.

Marquez says the referee Tony Weeks saved Lopez from a possible knockout loss in the fourth round. He knew at that point it was going to be a long fight after suffering the injury in the third.

"In that round I could have knocked Lopez out, but the referee did him a favor by giving him about 45 seconds to recover when he penalized him a point for the fouls. I knew at that time it was all or nothing," Marquez said. "Had it not been for the injury in the third round, I think in the ninth or tenth I would have stopped Juanma."
Back to top Go down
hardcoreBEE24
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Thomas Hearns

PostSubject: Re: Rafael Marquez out 6 months, hair line fracture   Rafael Marquez out 6 months, hair line fracture EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 7:04 pm

Lopez gets him out of there in three in the rematch. How did he get the fracture? Did Lopez hit him so hard in the shoulder that he broke it? If that's the case then it's a legit TKO, just like a cut stoppage from a punch.
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Rafael Marquez out 6 months, hair line fracture   Rafael Marquez out 6 months, hair line fracture EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 7:12 pm

hardcoreBEE24 wrote:
Lopez gets him out of there in three in the rematch. How did he get the fracture? Did Lopez hit him so hard in the shoulder that he broke it? If that's the case then it's a legit TKO, just like a cut stoppage from a punch.

IDK, he was in car accident before, said he hurt it during the fight

Back to top Go down
hardcoreBEE24
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Rafael Marquez out 6 months, hair line fracture   Rafael Marquez out 6 months, hair line fracture EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 7:20 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
hardcoreBEE24 wrote:

IDK, he was in car accident before, said he hurt it during the fight

If he hurt it during then fight the JuanMa's win is just as legit as Raffa's two wins against Izzy. The first fight ended because of a broken nose and the second ended because of cuts. Argument could be made that had Izzy not been cut or broken his nose he would have won. My point is that durability is just as much a part of boxing as anything and if a fighter is less durable than his opponent they usually lose.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Rafael Marquez out 6 months, hair line fracture   Rafael Marquez out 6 months, hair line fracture EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 7:25 pm

He threw no rights and probably had a partial injury coming in. I'd be interested in a rematch for sure.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, FEDOR, NICK DIAZ

PostSubject: Re: Rafael Marquez out 6 months, hair line fracture   Rafael Marquez out 6 months, hair line fracture EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 9:26 am

Wolfgangsta wrote:
He threw no rights and probably had a partial injury coming in. I'd be interested in a rematch for sure.

Who wouldn't be that fight was great!
Back to top Go down
hardcoreBEE24
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Rafael Marquez out 6 months, hair line fracture   Rafael Marquez out 6 months, hair line fracture EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 11:20 am

Wolfgangsta wrote:

Just rewatched the fight, these are the notable right hands that Raffa scored with:

Big right hand at the end of round two

FOUR huge rights in the fourth round that hurt Lopez

Big right hand in round five

Counter right hand that stopped Lopez in the 6th.

Lands a right hand in the beginning of the 8th and lands three counter right hands off the ropes when he was in trouble toward the end of the round.

Basically he scored with the right all night, I'm curious as to when he hurt it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rafael Marquez out 6 months, hair line fracture   Rafael Marquez out 6 months, hair line fracture Empty

Back to top Go down

Rafael Marquez out 6 months, hair line fracture
Page 1 of 1