Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Most well rounded fighter in MMA?

Go down 
+9
Ludo
NoRegret
acccardinal12
Ziggy116
timthebim
bobbitt15
captain organic
Birdofthad
Wolfgangsta
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Most well rounded MMA fighter.
Aldo
Most well rounded fighter in MMA? Vote_lcap13%Most well rounded fighter in MMA? Vote_rcap
 13% [ 2 ]
Cain
Most well rounded fighter in MMA? Vote_lcap0%Most well rounded fighter in MMA? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Fedor
Most well rounded fighter in MMA? Vote_lcap6%Most well rounded fighter in MMA? Vote_rcap
 6% [ 1 ]
GSP
Most well rounded fighter in MMA? Vote_lcap63%Most well rounded fighter in MMA? Vote_rcap
 63% [ 10 ]
Machida
Most well rounded fighter in MMA? Vote_lcap0%Most well rounded fighter in MMA? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Shogun
Most well rounded fighter in MMA? Vote_lcap13%Most well rounded fighter in MMA? Vote_rcap
 13% [ 2 ]
Diaz
 0% [ 0 ]
Cruz
 0% [ 0 ]
Edgar
 0% [ 0 ]
Silva
Most well rounded fighter in MMA? Vote_lcap5%Most well rounded fighter in MMA? Vote_rcap
 5% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 16

AuthorMessage
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

Most well rounded fighter in MMA? Empty
PostSubject: Most well rounded fighter in MMA?   Most well rounded fighter in MMA? EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 6:47 pm

My candidates for the poll would be ;

Jose Aldo - Submits BJJ world champions at the highest level in BJJ competition, the best MMA wrestlers in the division(Warren not withstanding I suppose) can't even threaten him with takedowns as hard as they try, yet he dominates them positionally with ground and pound, who wins every other fight besides the ones with wrestling/GnP by blinding fast striking speed and unreal power. Jose Aldo is 24 years old. I'm not exaggerating when I say he is possibly the most well rounded fighter in MMA history. He isn't good at everything. He is ELITE in all areas of the sport. He was submitted six years ago in MMA during his time in Brazil by a respected black belt.

Fedor - Traditionally known for his Judo/Sambo throws and takedowns, and for his dangerous submission game, Fedor has also stood toe to toe with the best kickboxer in HW MMA history during his prime in Mirko Crocop, and has morphed into a devastating knockout puncher. Like Aldo, he has been submitted once, to the best BJJ HW in the world. He also has been weak against double leg shots as judo and greco players often are.

Anderson Silva - He has the best striking likely in MMA history and has been able to submit black belts in the UFC off his back. Wrestling is a major weakness though.

Cain Velasquez - He has some of the best hands in the HW division and likely the best wrestling. Submission game completely unknown.

GSP - His wrestling is the best in the sport, and he isn't even a wrestler. His karate oriented striking makes him able to mask his attacks and anticipate his opponents with an underrated Machida-like way. He submitted Matt Hughes. Knocks on him is he was also sub'd by the great Farm Boy once, and was KTFO'd by a midget.

Lyoto Machida - Losing by KO to Shogun is hardly a knock on a fighter, but it does take some points away. Until his Shogun series though he was considered the best striker in MMA. His ability to avoid damage against a typical, mortal fighter is the stuff of legend, his ability to avoid the takedown and toss his adversary is remarkable. Shogun was never once able to take him to the mat and he tossed Ortiz around like he was nothing. He had Rashad down too if not for the cage. His sumo wrestling/Judo background is absolutely legit. Oh ya, he is a BJJ blackbelt with submissions under his belt in the UFC too.

Anyone I should include on the list? I am having a hard time thinking of guys who come close to matching Aldo. Maybe Edgar or Cruz?

Last edited by Wolfgangsta on Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Most well rounded fighter in MMA?   Most well rounded fighter in MMA? EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 6:48 pm

well uhh mr Rua???

I would go with Anderson probably though as the most well rounded

hopefuly Askren can work on alot and become one of em
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Most well rounded fighter in MMA?   Most well rounded fighter in MMA? EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 6:53 pm

Rua could be on the list too ya. But he wasn't able to get Machida down in five rounds and multiple attempts each round and has never defended a takedown against a solid wrestler. He broke an arm trying to defend one of Coleman's.

Nick Diaz could be on the list too. Zoromskis, Lawler and Noons are all potent knockout strikers and he handled them all on the feet(second Noons fight) and has one of the most dangerous guards in MMA.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Most well rounded fighter in MMA?   Most well rounded fighter in MMA? EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 6:54 pm

question wolf where do you think Frank ranks on the all time most well rounded fighters lists?
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Most well rounded fighter in MMA?   Most well rounded fighter in MMA? EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 6:58 pm

I almost stuck him on the list anyway. Frank could compete in todays MMA. His wrestling has never been an issue, his submission game was always great, and even an old Frank stood toe to toe with Cung Le. I don't give a shit what anyone says, Frank would murder Nate Mardquardt.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Most well rounded fighter in MMA?   Most well rounded fighter in MMA? EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 7:02 pm

neither Anderson nor Diaz are on my list. Not with an apparent major whole in each of their games.

Is Penn still in the discussion?

Jacare, has shown proficient in each of the 3 major categories.

Cain's a maybe, still need to see the sub's.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Most well rounded fighter in MMA?   Most well rounded fighter in MMA? EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 7:02 pm

in complete agreeance +1

and 1 thing i think you left out and its ok but it plays a huge part

the brain, you gotta be able to fight smart and know when to use and do whatguys like Fedor, Frank, and Lloyoto come to mind in that

Anderson not so much IMO
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Most well rounded fighter in MMA?   Most well rounded fighter in MMA? EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 7:03 pm

Cruz? Solid standup, but where's the well roundedness.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Most well rounded fighter in MMA?   Most well rounded fighter in MMA? EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 7:08 pm

Cruz showed good takedown defense vs Benavidez and Bowles
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Most well rounded fighter in MMA?   Most well rounded fighter in MMA? EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 7:13 pm

Birdofthad wrote:
in complete agreeance +1

the brain, you gotta be able to fight smart and know when to use and do whatguys like Fedor, Frank, and Lloyoto come to mind in that

Anderson not so much IMO

If brains are part of the equation I think Penn might get excluded. The dude thinks he's way better then he is, thinks he can soak in a hut tub as if it's part of his training, and never initiates any sort of ground fighting, in which he can utilize his BJJ aside from the end game scenario.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Most well rounded fighter in MMA?   Most well rounded fighter in MMA? EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 7:16 pm

No, he doesn't take it to the ground because he knows his body can't remove lactic acid. Lactic acidosis is one of his biggest enemies. He says he doesn't like to grapple early in fights for that specific reason. That shows fight smarts - but exposes a hole in his game.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Most well rounded fighter in MMA?   Most well rounded fighter in MMA? EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 9:18 pm

Aldo
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Most well rounded fighter in MMA?   Most well rounded fighter in MMA? EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 9:50 pm

I hate to say it but probably GSP Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Ziggy116
Black Belt
Black Belt
Ziggy116

Favorite Fighter(s) : Rampage, Fedor, Gangster brothers, Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Most well rounded fighter in MMA?   Most well rounded fighter in MMA? EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 10:09 pm

captain organic wrote:
Birdofthad wrote:
in complete agreeance +1

Anderson not so much IMO

If brains are part of the equation I think Penn might get excluded. The dude thinks he's way better then he is, thinks he can soak in a hut tub as if it's part of his training, and never initiates any sort of ground fighting, in which he can utilize his BJJ aside from the end game scenario.

Thought the exact same thing when I read that post.

He's not my most fav but I'd have to say GSP. He can dominate any kind of fighter in any circumstance.

I dont wanna be a homer here cause I'd rather say...
Most well rounded fighter in MMA? Aldo_flying_knee
Back to top Go down
https://apps.facebook.com/groupsplus/group.php?id=2139
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: Most well rounded fighter in MMA?   Most well rounded fighter in MMA? EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 12:45 am

GSP imo. I would like to add Mayhem Miller as an honorable mention.
Back to top Go down
NoRegret
Red Belt
Red Belt
NoRegret

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone that comes to FIGHT!

PostSubject: Re: Most well rounded fighter in MMA?   Most well rounded fighter in MMA? EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 10:39 am

bigbeastcardinal12 wrote:
GSP imo. I would like to add Mayhem Miller as an honorable mention.

scratch
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: Most well rounded fighter in MMA?   Most well rounded fighter in MMA? EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 10:52 am

Mayhem isn't a bad add at all. He has fairly good striking, a gas tank that doesn't quit, and a ground game good enough to almost choke out Shields(who got saved by the bell), and become the first guy to lose to Jacare by way of decision. Plus the pinkberry song has to be worth an extra point or two.
Back to top Go down
throwdownfight1
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Matt Hughes,Tito Ortiz,Frank Mir

PostSubject: Re: Most well rounded fighter in MMA?   Most well rounded fighter in MMA? EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 1:46 pm

good list wolfy
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Most well rounded fighter in MMA?   Most well rounded fighter in MMA? EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 5:10 am

Per division

HW:Fedor....Cain yup (work on BJJ)
LHW: Machida, Shogun
MW: Anderson, Jacare
WW: GSP
LW: BJ, Frankie
FW: Aldo
BW: Faber, Cruz, Bowles, Torres, all these guys are pretty wel-rded fighters
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Most well rounded fighter in MMA?   Most well rounded fighter in MMA? EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 5:20 am

LA wrote:
Per division

HW:Fedor....Cain yup (work on BJJ)
LHW: Machida, Shogun
MW: Anderson, Jacare
WW: GSP
LW: BJ, Frankie
FW: Aldo
BW: Faber, Cruz, Bowles, Torres, all these guys are pretty wel-rded fighters

Shogun isn't much more well rounded than Mousasi. Both have wrestling gaps.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Most well rounded fighter in MMA?   Most well rounded fighter in MMA? EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 5:24 am

But Shogun is just so damn athletic and fast, yes he does have wrestling deficiencies though, it makes up for his weakness.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: Most well rounded fighter in MMA?   Most well rounded fighter in MMA? EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 8:07 am

I went with GSP. Great striking, solid in the clinch, very good on his back when he is thee, and he has the best take down in the sport. If he has a flaw, it has been his lack of finishing opponents, he did make the great BJ Penn quit though, so that is something.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Most well rounded fighter in MMA?   Most well rounded fighter in MMA? EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 8:09 am

Who voted for Silva? He has absolutely no wreestling.
Back to top Go down
NoRegret
Red Belt
Red Belt
NoRegret

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone that comes to FIGHT!

PostSubject: Re: Most well rounded fighter in MMA?   Most well rounded fighter in MMA? EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 1:04 pm

LudoCain wrote:
Mayhem isn't a bad add at all. He has fairly good striking, a gas tank that doesn't quit, and a ground game good enough to almost choke out Shields(who got saved by the bell), and become the first guy to lose to Jacare by way of decision. Plus the pinkberry song has to be worth an extra point or two.

I guess when I think of the best, and most well rounded fighters, I want people that actually win their big fights as well.
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, FEDOR, NICK DIAZ

PostSubject: Re: Most well rounded fighter in MMA?   Most well rounded fighter in MMA? EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 9:21 am

It's BJ fuckin Penn.

Striking- He's got some of the best boxing mma has to offer.

BJJ- enough said

Wrestling- Some of the best TD defense in mma history

Is one weakness is lack of focus and drive but when you stack up mma skills. How can BJ not be on this list.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Most well rounded fighter in MMA?   Most well rounded fighter in MMA? Empty

Back to top Go down

Most well rounded fighter in MMA?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next