Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Is Jake Shields making a huge mistake by fighting at ww?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

Is Jake Shields making a huge mistake by fighting at ww? Empty
PostSubject: Is Jake Shields making a huge mistake by fighting at ww?   Is Jake Shields making a huge mistake by fighting at ww? EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 8:12 pm

OK. So now after seeing how the weight cut effected Shields, and considering the drastic differences between the MW and WW divisions, am i the only one that thinks Shields is making a huge mistake by not fighting at MW?

His last fight at 185 was against Dan Henderson. A very highly regarded huge MW with Olympic wrestling pedigree and devastating punches. Shields wiped the floor with him for 5 rounds and still looked fresh.

Then he comes to the UFC and decides to drop back down to 170. He eek's out a close and controversial decision against Martin Kampmann and let's face it, he was almost completely gassed. It was obvious the weight cut effected him. Shields was definitely not as impressive as he could have been.

Now let's compare the 2 divisions.
The WW division is stacked with amazing wrestlers and grapplers. Kos, Fitch, and GSP for starts. These are all pretty bad match up's for Shields if you ask me. As good as his wrestling is, he would most definitely lose the wrestling aspects of those fights.
The MW division on the other hand has hardly any wrestlers (Chael Sonnen is the only one i can think of) and we know that Anderson Silva's biggest weakness is strong wrestlers and let's be honest, Anderson ain't tapping jake with anything. If jake shields gets on top of Anderson he would be in a world of trouble. Jake would do what Lutter and Sonnen were unable to.

This is just my opinion. I think Jake is much better physically at 185, and the match up's are WAY better for him there too.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: Is Jake Shields making a huge mistake by fighting at ww?   Is Jake Shields making a huge mistake by fighting at ww? EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 9:07 pm

I say he is right where he should be. By the time he fights for the title he will be ready. He won't be cutting asmuch weight next time around. He was between 190-200lbs when he left SF.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Is Jake Shields making a huge mistake by fighting at ww?   Is Jake Shields making a huge mistake by fighting at ww? EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 9:26 pm

I don't think so. He always fought at 170 with success and no conditioning problems except for his stint in Strikeforce. I just think the conditioning problem in the Kampmann fight is because it's been awhile since he's had to cut to 170 or maybe he waited to long to start the cut because maybe he used to not have trouble cutting the weight. It's possible he's grown into a middleweight. Fighters grow out of weight classes all the time like Mousasi growing out of 185 but right now i'll just assume Jake's conditioning came with not having cut to 170 since 2008. I don't think conditioning will be a problem for Jake from here on out. It never was before.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is Jake Shields making a huge mistake by fighting at ww?   Is Jake Shields making a huge mistake by fighting at ww? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is Jake Shields making a huge mistake by fighting at ww?
Page 1 of 1