Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bellator discussion thread.

Go down 
+9
GDPofDRC
KingsOwn19
acccardinal12
LA
Birdofthad
Primetyme199
killerofchicken
bobbitt15
captain organic
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

Bellator discussion thread. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bellator discussion thread.   Bellator discussion thread. - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 10:42 am

bobbitt15 wrote:
Lol this was supposed to live on every FSN channel tonight: It came on an hour late here with "We just the program already in progress" and it was in the 2nd round of the Askren fight. How fucking lame. Askren's GnP looked like dick that round

I got the Giants/Phils post game show. It was still on when I passed out after a couple of hours. FML
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Bellator discussion thread.   Bellator discussion thread. - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 10:59 am

Man I hate Askren.
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: Bellator discussion thread.   Bellator discussion thread. - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 11:01 am

OU wrote:
Man I hate Askren.
I FF'ed the whole fight... not a fan of his at all
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Bellator discussion thread.   Bellator discussion thread. - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 12:47 pm

OU wrote:
Man I hate Askren.

So do I. He did almost nothing from mount for like 13 minutes over the course of the fight. He's so fucking sloppy too when he takes dudes down and then tries to pass. He got that leg trip on Good in the 3rd round I think and then just literally like bent over and stuck his head right between his legs lol. It was terrible
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Bellator discussion thread.   Bellator discussion thread. - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 12:50 pm

That;s why I said he is really not any further developed in MMA than I considered Good to be. What he has is a control game though which made him better suited to get the win. He has a lot of development ahead of him still.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Bellator discussion thread.   Bellator discussion thread. - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 12:51 pm

Agreed. He was getting a lot of top 10 love on here after that Hornbuckle fight it seemed like. He ain't there yet
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Bellator discussion thread.   Bellator discussion thread. - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 12:54 pm

bobbitt15 wrote:
OU wrote:
Man I hate Askren.

So do I. He did almost nothing from mount for like 13 minutes over the course of the fight. He's so fucking sloppy too when he takes dudes down and then tries to pass. He got that leg trip on Good in the 3rd round I think and then just literally like bent over and stuck his head right between his legs lol. It was terrible

Yeah he just annoys me in and out of the cage. But he took Good down at will. No matter how good the sprawl was he was going to find a single leg or something somehow and get that fight to the ground. His ability to get the body lock and the takedown after getting the shot stuffed was the only thing that impressed me about him.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Bellator discussion thread.   Bellator discussion thread. - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 1:50 pm

KingsOwn19 wrote:
Bellator chose a good card to finally air live. I DVR'd it and went to it during commercials of the Giants game and then just finished watching it.

What a performance from Eddie. The biggest asswhooping of Heurta's career. No doubt about that. You see Eddie completely destroy guys like Neer and Heurta who are usually out pointed in losses, not absolutely ran through. Eddie is for real.

He's going to destroy Curran.

I actually thought Lyman Good looked fairly solid. I think Good vs. Hornbuckle would be a great fight. He was able to do do some impressive sprawling. Was always fighting back. Stunned Askren a few times and came the closest to finishing the fight. I fear Askren is going to run into trouble with high level guard players should he run into one in Bellator, which he probably won't as it stands now. Of course, BS stand up when somebody has a fuckin mount. Lyman was better than i was expecting though.

I've seen some impressive Rick Hawn stuff on the internet prior to tonight. He did not look very good at all until the throw and the brutal GnP. Hawn vs. Yoshida...but we'll probably see him fight Judo Jim Wallhead in the season 4 tourny.

Nice win for Wilson Reis over Devidas. All my picks won. Too bad they didnt show the fight.

Nice win for Bellator. Solid card. Can't wait for Lombard vs. Schlemenko

1)No doubt on Eddie, I change my pick in Eddie vs Gil after that one. That was flat dominant. Def in the argument for #1 in the world.

2)Sure Good showed something, who knows what would have happened if he were not coming off a year long layoff.

But Askren is trouble for anyone. Did he look sloppy? I guess, but he always came out in the right spot. Is his Gn'P toothless? at this point it sure is, but it doesn't matter cause he has dominant position 90% of the time.

Askren is def in the Shields GSP mold in that way. May not have the jj of Shield(who he has been training with) or the complete game of GSP, but NO ONE has his wrestling ability.

Didn't mind the standup. Full mount? whatever, if your not doing anything, then be prepared to be stood up.

3)I thought Hawn looked good. Showed decent hands imo, and if I had to guess, the dude can take a punch, he's a fire hydrant. Very strong, obvious Judo credentials, and effective GnP. Dudes a prospect.

4)Great crowd, very into the 2 big fights, did what they could to help Good along.
Back to top Go down
SOKO
Black Belt
Black Belt
SOKO

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Dragon, Kenflo, Hendo, Guida, Ace, Wand, Cain, Carwin, Foreman, Evander, Oscar

PostSubject: Re: Bellator discussion thread.   Bellator discussion thread. - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 2:49 pm

bobbitt15 wrote:
This Askren fight is really sloppy and next to zero effective GnP despite sitting in mount for the last 2 rounds.

worst shit ive seen in a while when askren almost got caught in that triangle I got so excited cause he is so fucking boring it hurts.

askren makes fitch and sheilds look real entertaining. Take nothing away from wrestlers as most of them are beast but askren is just painful to watch imo.
Back to top Go down
SOKO
Black Belt
Black Belt
SOKO

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Dragon, Kenflo, Hendo, Guida, Ace, Wand, Cain, Carwin, Foreman, Evander, Oscar

PostSubject: Re: Bellator discussion thread.   Bellator discussion thread. - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 2:53 pm

OU wrote:
bobbitt15 wrote:
OU wrote:
Man I hate Askren.

Yeah he just annoys me in and out of the cage. But he took Good down at will. No matter how good the sprawl was he was going to find a single leg or something somehow and get that fight to the ground. His ability to get the body lock and the takedown after getting the shot stuffed was the only thing that impressed me about him.

+1
Back to top Go down
jimbojones1950
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostSubject: Re: Bellator discussion thread.   Bellator discussion thread. - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 3:36 pm

Honestly, you guys jump the gun way too quickly. Either a fighter is top 10 right away or he is horribly boring, etc. Askren is clearly a work in progress. Remember when everyone said Cain had no power and because of that would never be champion? Then he learned how to sitdown on his punches and throw combinations and now, everyone is crowning him the next great heavyweight champion. How long has Askren been training mma fulltime? I believe he just started training full time 6 months ago after not making the US team for the 2010 world championships. The reality is that it is too early to tell if he is going to be a top 10 fighter. Once he improves his stand up and learns how to put some power into his gnp, he will be much different. Also, he literally just starting his bjj training a year and half ago. Give him 2-3 years before making any real judgment.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Bellator discussion thread.   Bellator discussion thread. - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 3:47 pm

jimbojones1950 wrote:
Honestly, you guys jump the gun way too quickly. Either a fighter is top 10 right away or he is horribly boring, etc. Askren is clearly a work in progress. Remember when everyone said Cain had no power and because of that would never be champion? Then he learned how to sitdown on his punches and throw combinations and now, everyone is crowning him the next great heavyweight champion. How long has Askren been training mma fulltime? I believe he just started training full time 6 months ago after not making the US team for the 2010 world championships. The reality is that it is too early to tell if he is going to be a top 10 fighter. Once he improves his stand up and learns how to put some power into his gnp, he will be much different. Also, he literally just starting his bjj training a year and half ago. Give him 2-3 years before making any real judgment.

He is a BJJ purple belt, did he really get that in under 2 years? In Sept. of 2009 he competed in ADCC Submission Wrestling World Championship.
I'm jumping on him because I don't like him. Not in the cage or out of it. I don't think he shows the same kind of promise or athletic ability as Cain. Athletic ability being the difference between him and other wrestlers who have reached the upper levels.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Bellator discussion thread.   Bellator discussion thread. - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 4:13 pm

You guys like that judo throw?
Back to top Go down
SOKO
Black Belt
Black Belt
SOKO

PostSubject: Re: Bellator discussion thread.   Bellator discussion thread. - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 4:19 pm

yes that was sick
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Bellator discussion thread.   Bellator discussion thread. - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 5:58 pm

This Askren hate is dumbfounding. He already looks like he will be better than Koscheck. It takes wrestlers up to ten fights, especially in smaller classes, to become finishers. He has 7 bouts. Relax fellas. Askren looked awesome. Those passes were epic. His GnP seemed like it lacked teeth but he can work on that. Askren resembled Chael Sonnen more than he did Fitch.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Bellator discussion thread.   Bellator discussion thread. - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 7:06 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
This Askren hate is dumbfounding. He already looks like he will be better than Koscheck. It takes wrestlers up to ten fights, especially in smaller classes, to become finishers. He has 7 bouts. Relax fellas. Askren looked awesome. Those passes were epic. His GnP seemed like it lacked teeth but he can work on that. Askren resembled Chael Sonnen more than he did Fitch.

agreed. I can understand a boring critique, but a lack of athleticism that will eventually halt his progress? Dude just ran threw a couple guys who are considered very good athletes. Ran right threw them.

Guy is as good a wrestler as there is in this sport. His submissions will improve, his Gn'P should improve.

26 yrs old.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Bellator discussion thread.   Bellator discussion thread. - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 8:08 pm

Askren is still top 10 in division worthy
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Bellator discussion thread.   Bellator discussion thread. - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 9:22 pm

I agree that Askren still has a lot of work to do, but the guy is no doubt going to be one of the best WW in the wolrd in the next couple years. Right now, nobody has exposed that he's only a wrestler with a highly active and hard to stop transition game. Once somebody does, which i think will..you will see him be more agressive with GnP and test his stand up.

Askren has said on numerous occassions that he's going to just rassle people untill they prove they can stop him. It's somewhat of an F U to fans who hate guys that have no interest in having an entertaining fight but top 10 talks are NOT premature for the simple fact that i can see Askren beating a few universally ranked top 10 WW in the same fashion he beat Hornbuckle and Lyman Good.

Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Bellator discussion thread.   Bellator discussion thread. - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 9:25 pm

His fights are not uninteresting. He is constantly looking to advance and for submissions and GnP. The lack of a finish doesn't inherently denote boring, at least to the non-moron crowd. He is Chael, not Fitch.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Bellator discussion thread.   Bellator discussion thread. - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 9:32 pm

all my friend s like watching him hes a fun wrestler to watch he is very active, if he gets his hands better and ground n pound better he can be a future champ in any org
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Bellator discussion thread.   Bellator discussion thread. - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 9:34 pm

I agree Wolf. Though last nights fight had a lot more Fitchian stretches of inactivity compared to Askren's other fights in Bellator.

Askren did put on a more entertaining performance than Fitch has in recent memory though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bellator discussion thread.   Bellator discussion thread. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Bellator discussion thread.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2