Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

David Tua owes the taxman millions

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

David Tua owes the taxman millions Empty
PostSubject: David Tua owes the taxman millions   David Tua owes the taxman millions EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 6:39 pm

According to Sunday Star Times, the Inland Revenue Department has frozen David Tua's purses from his last three fights because he owes $2.2 million dollars. The information was confirmed to the paper by Tua's wife and manager Robina Tua has revealed. Tua's purse and TV money from his fights with Shane Cameron, Friday Ahunanya and Monte Barrett have been frozen until the tax bill is settled.

The situation sheds light on the reason for Tua turning down a $400,000 offer to face Wladimir Klitschko on December 11. The tax man would have taken the full amount. Tua's wife says the fighter has been unable to afford proper medical attention for a shoulder injury and trained for the Barrett fight without his fitness trainer because he couldn't afford to pay him. Tua is scheduled to fight in December before a rematch with Barrett in early 2011.

"People think David is a millionaire and sitting on a pile of money and it is so far from the truth it's not funny," Robina said. "He will be going into fights knowing he will not get anything at all because it is all going to the IRD. He doesn't have the money to get proper training, food and supplements and doctors and therapy. The dream is still there, he wants to be the champion, but it seems like it is never-ending: we got rid of the court stuff, now it's the IRD."

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=31652
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

PostSubject: Re: David Tua owes the taxman millions   David Tua owes the taxman millions EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 6:45 pm

Geeze this is only the 259th fighter I've read about with such an issue. Don't ANY of these guys have a reliable accountant?
Back to top Go down
Groundhog_Day
Orange Belt
Orange Belt
Groundhog_Day

Favorite Fighter(s) : Manny Pacquiao

PostSubject: Re: David Tua owes the taxman millions   David Tua owes the taxman millions EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 7:27 pm

All I got was "wife = manager"

Where's Al Haymon when you need him?
Back to top Go down
Diego408
Green Belt
Green Belt
Diego408

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Marquez Brothers, Robert Guerrero, Abner Mares, Andre Ward, Sergio Martinez, Devon Alexander, Jose Benavidez Jr and Nick Diaz

PostSubject: Re: David Tua owes the taxman millions   David Tua owes the taxman millions EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 7:33 pm

Groundhog_Day wrote:

Well Haymon was there when Floyd was broke, also Dawson is facing that current problem according to his manager. All these fighters love to spend and forget to pay their taxes, just remember the government always gets theirs.
Back to top Go down
Groundhog_Day
Orange Belt
Orange Belt
Groundhog_Day

PostSubject: Re: David Tua owes the taxman millions   David Tua owes the taxman millions EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 7:34 pm

Diego408 wrote:
Groundhog_Day wrote:

Well Haymon was there when Floyd was broke, also Dawson is facing that current problem according to his manager. All these fighters love to spend and forget to pay their taxes, just remember the government always gets theirs.

Haymon would get Tua on HBO for a million dollah payday hehe
Back to top Go down
Diego408
Green Belt
Green Belt
Diego408

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Marquez Brothers, Robert Guerrero, Abner Mares, Andre Ward, Sergio Martinez, Devon Alexander, Jose Benavidez Jr and Nick Diaz

PostSubject: Re: David Tua owes the taxman millions   David Tua owes the taxman millions EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 7:51 pm

I dont know how Haymon makes HBO bend at his will, but you put Tau vs Arreola on HBO, I would not mind seeing that.
Back to top Go down
Groundhog_Day
Orange Belt
Orange Belt
Groundhog_Day

PostSubject: Re: David Tua owes the taxman millions   David Tua owes the taxman millions EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 8:09 pm

Diego408 wrote:
I dont know how Haymon makes HBO bend at his will, but you put Tau vs Arreola on HBO, I would not mind seeing that.

It's quite scary when you think about it, how a company like HBO hasn't told him to go kick rocks yet. He has some serious and frightening connections. Where does the man come from? I know fat man was even reluctant to talk about him (a guy asked him if he ever had the opp. to sit down and talk to Haymon, and asked what he was like, and Dan said "yes, let's leave it at that").

It's clear the guy is good to his fighters but bad for boxing in terms of matchups and fights the fans want to see.
Back to top Go down
Diego408
Green Belt
Green Belt
Diego408

PostSubject: Re: David Tua owes the taxman millions   David Tua owes the taxman millions EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 8:24 pm

Groundhog_Day wrote:
Diego408 wrote:

It's quite scary when you think about it, how a company like HBO hasn't told him to go kick rocks yet. He has some serious and frightening connections. Where does the man come from? I know fat man was even reluctant to talk about him (a guy asked him if he ever had the opp. to sit down and talk to Haymon, and asked what he was like, and Dan said "yes, let's leave it at that").

It's clear the guy is good to his fighters but bad for boxing in terms of matchups and fights the fans want to see.
Its mind boggling about how much power Haymond has over promoters and TV networks. Thats a pretty insane answer from fat man Dan BTW. Its crazy that theres not much info or pics of this guy (Ive only came across one, almost unbelievable). Hes one of thos guys that pulls strings in the background. It seems hes losing grip over Flomo though.
Back to top Go down
Diego408
Green Belt
Green Belt
Diego408

PostSubject: Re: David Tua owes the taxman millions   David Tua owes the taxman millions EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 8:26 pm

This is pretty intresting though, its wise to read.

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=426949
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ricky Burns

PostSubject: Re: David Tua owes the taxman millions   David Tua owes the taxman millions EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 8:50 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
Geeze this is only the 259th fighter I've read about with such an issue. Don't ANY of these guys have a reliable accountant?

All fighters (making big money) need a decent accountant, a good investment manager, and an honest lawyer. Okay, I'm kidding about the last one. I'm an attorney and there isn't an honest one amongst us.
Back to top Go down
Groundhog_Day
Orange Belt
Orange Belt
Groundhog_Day

PostSubject: Re: David Tua owes the taxman millions   David Tua owes the taxman millions EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 9:59 pm

Diego408 wrote:
This is pretty intresting though, its wise to read.

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=426949

Great, who do I root for? Haymon or Arum? That's like choosing between the rack and the iron maiden.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ricky Burns

PostSubject: Re: David Tua owes the taxman millions   David Tua owes the taxman millions EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 10:00 pm

Diego, sweet GIF.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: David Tua owes the taxman millions   David Tua owes the taxman millions Empty

Back to top Go down

David Tua owes the taxman millions
Page 1 of 1