Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wilfredo Benitez.....today

Go down 
+4
Groundhog_Day
4445Frank
marbleheadmaui
gomez1012
8 posters
AuthorMessage
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

Wilfredo Benitez.....today Empty
PostSubject: Wilfredo Benitez.....today   Wilfredo Benitez.....today EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 1:02 pm

Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

PostSubject: Re: Wilfredo Benitez.....today   Wilfredo Benitez.....today EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 1:04 pm

Ugh.
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Wilfredo Benitez.....today   Wilfredo Benitez.....today EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 1:10 pm

Tragic. I knew about it and it's horrible. I'd rather not think about it.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

PostSubject: Re: Wilfredo Benitez.....today   Wilfredo Benitez.....today EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 1:22 pm

4445Frank wrote:

When a defensive genius like Benitez ends up like this and a guy like Chuvalo is still lucid in his seventies there just HAS to be a major genetic element to stuff like this. Men like Benitez had to be unusually vulnerable...or Chuvalo is unusually invulnerable.
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Wilfredo Benitez.....today   Wilfredo Benitez.....today EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 1:30 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
4445Frank wrote:

When a defensive genius like Benitez ends up like this and a guy like Chuvalo is still lucid in his seventies there just HAS to be a major genetic element to stuff like this. Men like Benitez had to be unusually vulnerable...or Chuvalo is unusually invulnerable.
Very true, but notice the endings of both their careers. Benitez retired as a stepping stone to young fighters coming up. I recall a fight between Wilfred and Matthew Hilton where Hilton punished him. Chuvalo retired while he was still competitive. His last effort was a spirited 12 round decision loss to Ali. I think it's a mixture of neurological make up and the actual career.
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Wilfredo Benitez.....today   Wilfredo Benitez.....today EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 1:33 pm

4445Frank wrote:
Very true, but notice the endings of both their careers. Benitez retired as a stepping stone to young fighters coming up. I recall a fight between Wilfred and Matthew Hilton where Hilton punished him. Chuvalo retired while he was still competitive. His last effort was a spirited 12 round decision loss to Ali. I think it's a mixture of neurological make up and the actual career.

+1
Back to top Go down
Groundhog_Day
Orange Belt
Orange Belt
Groundhog_Day

Favorite Fighter(s) : Manny Pacquiao

PostSubject: Re: Wilfredo Benitez.....today   Wilfredo Benitez.....today EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 3:50 pm

Man that video clip in the article was so sad... I've seen pictures of Benitez over the years as his condition worsened but that was all I'll need to see.
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Wilfredo Benitez.....today   Wilfredo Benitez.....today EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 4:00 pm

Sometimes I don't blame B Hop for the way he fights.
Back to top Go down
Groundhog_Day
Orange Belt
Orange Belt
Groundhog_Day

Favorite Fighter(s) : Manny Pacquiao

PostSubject: Re: Wilfredo Benitez.....today   Wilfredo Benitez.....today EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 4:02 pm

4445Frank wrote:
Sometimes I don't blame B Hop for the way he fights.

What about Clottey albino
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wilfredo Benitez.....today   Wilfredo Benitez.....today EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 4:08 pm

Groundhog_Day wrote:
Man that video clip in the article was so sad... I've seen pictures of Benitez over the years as his condition worsened but that was all I'll need to see.

That clip was tough to watch.
Back to top Go down
flapanther2001
Orange Belt
Orange Belt
flapanther2001

Favorite Fighter(s) : Aaron Pryor, Rocky Marciano, Arturo Gatti

PostSubject: Re: Wilfredo Benitez.....today   Wilfredo Benitez.....today EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 4:08 pm

Just sad.....
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ricky Burns

PostSubject: Re: Wilfredo Benitez.....today   Wilfredo Benitez.....today EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 8:09 pm

It is a dangerous sport. Genetic makeup has alot to do with it. Fighters should get out of the game too soon instead of too late.
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

PostSubject: Re: Wilfredo Benitez.....today   Wilfredo Benitez.....today EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 8:22 pm

extremly sad..52 years old and deteriorating for years..jerry quarry had a similar fate with alzheimers and died young...frank ali was chuvalos last big fight but not his last..
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Wilfredo Benitez.....today   Wilfredo Benitez.....today EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 8:41 am

dmar5143 wrote:
extremly sad..52 years old and deteriorating for years..jerry quarry had a similar fate with alzheimers and died young...frank ali was chuvalos last big fight but not his last..
You're right dmar, but don't blame me, blame "Classic Sports", Al Burnstein and ESPN. They showed the 1972 Ali - Chuvalo fight and Burnstein ended the telecast by saying it was Chuvalo's last fight. Bunch of idiots over at ESPN. I'll never trust them for another piece of trivia again. (Note: I have the fight on DVD and just made sure they made the blunder before I wrote this.)
Back to top Go down
Ring
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Wilfredo Benitez.....today   Wilfredo Benitez.....today EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 11:02 am

I just saw this thread Gomez, I hadn't heard what had ever happened to the now 52 year old Benitez until I read this article:

"Benitez suffers from an incurable, degenerative brain condition caused by the blows he took in the boxing ring. It's called post-traumatic encephalitis, leaving Benitez in a state of perpetual stare and smiles, and with the mentality of a child. It's not certain if he knows his identity, though, at times, the family says he does remember."

"Benitez's situation is far from pretty.
While he earned millions during his career that saw him win 53 fights, 31 by KO, the money is gone and unaccounted for, Yvonne says. Benitez's championship belts also have vanished. Benitez lives on roughly $14,000 annually in government stipends and a $250 a month pension from the World Boxing Council. However, Yvonne lamented the stipends are often incorrect and pension checks are late."

This is the darker side of boxing folks, really sad.
Back to top Go down
Ring
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Wilfredo Benitez.....today   Wilfredo Benitez.....today EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 11:06 am

marbleheadmaui wrote:
4445Frank wrote:

Chuvalo just had the scull of a Neanderthal.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wilfredo Benitez.....today   Wilfredo Benitez.....today Empty

Back to top Go down

Wilfredo Benitez.....today
Page 1 of 1