[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

So you wanna talk college football conference prestige eh?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
NoRegret
Red Belt
Red Belt
NoRegret

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone that comes to FIGHT!

So you wanna talk college football conference prestige eh? - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: So you wanna talk college football conference prestige eh?   So you wanna talk college football conference prestige eh? - Page 5 EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 5:36 pm

ohiovol62 wrote:
NoRegret wrote:
The Big Ten:

Ohio State- 7 National Championships
Michigan- 7 National Championships
Minnesota- 6 National Championships
Michigan State- 3 National Championships
Penn State- 2 National Championships
Illinois- 2 National Championships
Iowa- 1 National Championship
Wisconsin- 0 National Championships
Northwestern- 0
Indiana- 0
Purdue- 0

Does this not say PSU with 3 national championships? They won them while they were NOT part of the Big Ten. The Big Ten has no claim to PSU's National Championships. Oh, and UM claims 11. If Notre Dame were to join the Big Ten, which will happen someday, will the Big Ten get to claim their national titles? I don't think so. Thats very misleading.

Well then if you're going on technicalities such as this...now im not sure, but im pretty sure Bama and Tennessee have not always been a part of the SEC..so should those titles be claimed for them?

It says PSU with 2 titles, not 3.

It doesnt matter what they were a part of when they won them IMO.

Michigan's other 4 titles are not recognized National Titles...they won them in 1901-1904 or whatever it was before they were recognized as national titles...so alas they are at 7 again.
Back to top Go down
ohiovol62
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
ohiovol62

Favorite Fighter(s) : Sakuraba, Fedor, GSP, and Big Nog

PostSubject: Re: So you wanna talk college football conference prestige eh?   So you wanna talk college football conference prestige eh? - Page 5 EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 5:42 pm

The arguement about National Championships are mute anyway. A lot of time there were several Teams claiming titles every year. I liken it to today's HW boxers. Conference W/L records and bowl game records are the most accurate benchmark in looking into the past. How many of Minnesota's titles were from the 20s? Come on, when there was no other conferences around, of course the Big Ten was the best. Ditto with Ill. I'll have to check on Iowa too, but I'll call ditto there too. Its like saying Charles Barkley is a better than Labron James because he more points in his career, when in actuality he was just around longer.
Back to top Go down
NoRegret
Red Belt
Red Belt
NoRegret

PostSubject: Re: So you wanna talk college football conference prestige eh?   So you wanna talk college football conference prestige eh? - Page 5 EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 5:46 pm

ohiovol62 wrote:
The arguement about National Championships are mute anyway. A lot of time there were several Teams claiming titles every year. I liken it to today's HW boxers. Conference W/L records and bowl game records are the most accurate benchmark in looking into the past. How many of Minnesota's titles were from the 20s? Come on, when there was no other conferences around, of course the Big Ten was the best. Ditto with Ill. I'll have to check on Iowa too, but I'll call ditto there too. Its like saying Charles Barkley is a better than Labron James because he more points in his career, when in actuality he was just around longer.

Yeah but we werent the only schools around back then. You want to know why the Big Ten was so dominant back then?

THE STYLE OF FOOTBALL WAS DIFFERENT

Sorry, I needed that for emphasis lol. This region of the country just produces big mammoth fucks off of farms...people from across the other parts of the country really didnt have that for the most part...another thing was when this region of the country was booming with factory production and the majority of the country lived around here.

Now all the factories are closing, families are moving down south, the style of football is changing...all are factors as to why we're having a hard time adjusting right now...but its gonna happen.
Back to top Go down
ohiovol62
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
ohiovol62

PostSubject: Re: So you wanna talk college football conference prestige eh?   So you wanna talk college football conference prestige eh? - Page 5 EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 5:47 pm

NoRegret wrote:
ohiovol62 wrote:
NoRegret wrote:
The Big Ten:

Ohio State- 7 National Championships
Michigan- 7 National Championships
Minnesota- 6 National Championships
Michigan State- 3 National Championships
Penn State- 2 National Championships
Illinois- 2 National Championships
Iowa- 1 National Championship
Wisconsin- 0 National Championships
Northwestern- 0
Indiana- 0
Purdue- 0

Does this not say PSU with 3 national championships? They won them while they were NOT part of the Big Ten. The Big Ten has no claim to PSU's National Championships. Oh, and UM claims 11. If Notre Dame were to join the Big Ten, which will happen someday, will the Big Ten get to claim their national titles? I don't think so. Thats very misleading.

Well then if you're going on technicalities such as this...now im not sure, but im pretty sure Bama and Tennessee have not always been a part of the SEC..so should those titles be claimed for them?

It says PSU with 2 titles, not 3.

It doesnt matter what they were a part of when they won them IMO.

Michigan's other 4 titles are not recognized National Titles...they won them in 1901-1904 or whatever it was before they were recognized as national titles...so alas they are at 7 again.

Oh shit, my bad I was looking at MSU. Check Bamer and UT I don't care pretty sure none of them have titles before hand. And if they do subtract them. Titles are very inaccurate. That said I just don't think it's fair to give the SEC losses before the SEC was a conference and giving the big ten claiming titles their teams didn't win. PSU won them before they were in
Back to top Go down
ohiovol62
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
ohiovol62

PostSubject: Re: So you wanna talk college football conference prestige eh?   So you wanna talk college football conference prestige eh? - Page 5 EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 5:53 pm

Look claim all those titles if they were in the big ten when they won them I don't care. The big ten says they have winning records against all these conferences. Yeah, well they're counting wins before the other conferences were even around. Like assigning unborn children portions of national debt, oh wait, nevermind.
Back to top Go down
ohiovol62
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
ohiovol62

PostSubject: Re: So you wanna talk college football conference prestige eh?   So you wanna talk college football conference prestige eh? - Page 5 EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 6:01 pm

NoRegret wrote:

Yeah but we werent the only schools around back then.

Yes but there was a ton of independents and smaller fragmented conferences. And the Big Ten are counting the wins over those conferences when the teams they beat were independents. Which is not more wrong than four teams claiming a title in a year I guess. Just misleading
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: So you wanna talk college football conference prestige eh?   So you wanna talk college football conference prestige eh? - Page 5 EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 10:46 pm

I am a Big East guy, hence the name Big Beast. So I would just like to add a point from another side. The SEC is the best college football conference of all time.
Back to top Go down
muayjitsu
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
muayjitsu

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wand, Thiago Alves, BJ Penn, Cain, Vitor, Tito, SHOGUN

PostSubject: Re: So you wanna talk college football conference prestige eh?   So you wanna talk college football conference prestige eh? - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 10:34 pm

SEC, Big 12, then everyone else.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: So you wanna talk college football conference prestige eh?   So you wanna talk college football conference prestige eh? - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 2:23 am

muayjitsu wrote:
SEC, Big 12, then everyone else.

Yeah the Big 11 homers should be fighting with the Big 12 homers over who is 2nd place. I would take the Big 12 for 2nd. JUST FOOTBALL Big 11 Homers! I know how you guys get about bball....unless you are a Penn State fan. That is all you have for that shitty school! Louisville whoot mutha powns you all! It is comeback time bitches!!! I love acting immature at times like fleav. It makes me feel like I am back in my teens! WHoot Pwn own batches! CARDS back in the house!
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: So you wanna talk college football conference prestige eh?   So you wanna talk college football conference prestige eh? - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 2:24 am

Back to top Go down
NoRegret
Red Belt
Red Belt
NoRegret

PostSubject: Re: So you wanna talk college football conference prestige eh?   So you wanna talk college football conference prestige eh? - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 8:56 am

Pretty sure the "BIG 11" had a better bowl record than the Big 12 did last year. That was how everyone always ripped on "THE BIG 11" previously...now you guys have nothing to say.......so until next year y'all can suck my dick on the Big 12 is better talk.

Also, word on the street is Texas may be leaving your conference for "The Big 11's" expansion.

The 5 most likely that I have heard alot of talk about switching to "The Big 11" have been Notre Dame, Texas, Mizzou, Pitt, and Nebraska. Rutgers was also talked about.

Texas, IMO is pretty heavily considering it because of how much money the Big 10 makes each year. I think the Big 10 was either in first, or a close second behind the SEC in terms of revenue being brought in for the schools to use.

That is the only reason that Notre Dame is also considering joining the big 10..money...so look for one of the teams I previously listed to jump ship...then im not sure what you guys will be able to say.
Back to top Go down
muayjitsu
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
muayjitsu

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wand, Thiago Alves, BJ Penn, Cain, Vitor, Tito, SHOGUN

PostSubject: Re: So you wanna talk college football conference prestige eh?   So you wanna talk college football conference prestige eh? - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 9:10 pm

Bowl records dont speak for what conference is better when the big 11 is facing sorry teams in bowl games because the only teams able to get big bowl games are penn st and ohio st.
Back to top Go down
NoRegret
Red Belt
Red Belt
NoRegret

PostSubject: Re: So you wanna talk college football conference prestige eh?   So you wanna talk college football conference prestige eh? - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 8:27 am

The only team that played a shitty team in a bowl game was Minnesota and it was against a team from The Big 12...sooo...there you have it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So you wanna talk college football conference prestige eh?   So you wanna talk college football conference prestige eh? - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

So you wanna talk college football conference prestige eh?
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ninja's Place :: Sports Discussion :: US Sports-
Jump to: