Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Current Fighters Today that you think DONT want to be Great

Go down 
+4
WinstonSmith
hardcoreBEE24
marbleheadmaui
gomez1012
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

Current Fighters Today that you think DONT want to be Great Empty
PostSubject: Current Fighters Today that you think DONT want to be Great   Current Fighters Today that you think DONT want to be Great EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 1:02 pm

Marble:
Quote :

...My own view is that one thing that separates the greats from the goods in almost all sports is loving the sport and a deep desire to be the very best. I mean money sure didn't stop Michael Jordan or Tom Brady or Ray Leonard from doing the things they had to do to prove they were the best over and over and over again.

When the chips are down and one is battling for their boxing, and perhaps actual, life, I don't think anyone is thinking "$8 million." My guess is they're thinking "I want that championship!"

In today's game I think we have a # of fighters that are good but dont want that "championship" (not a strap)

Here's some that I think fit into that category

Nonito Donaire
Floyd Mayweather
Chavez Jr
Andre Berto
Andre Dirrell
Andre Ward (put both of them based on the Super Six BS they're pulling)

Any to add? Disagree?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Current Fighters Today that you think DONT want to be Great   Current Fighters Today that you think DONT want to be Great EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 1:05 pm

Like him or not Flod is already a great, the problem is he has the ability to crack the top ten but no yarbles to achieve that task.

Paul Williams
Lucian Bute
David Haye
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

PostSubject: Re: Current Fighters Today that you think DONT want to be Great   Current Fighters Today that you think DONT want to be Great EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 1:10 pm

I don't think it's that they don't want to be great, they'd surely take it. It's that they either just don't get what it takes or it just isn't a top priority.

Floyd for example I just don't think gets it. Nonito's actions seem to be those of a guy who just doesn't care.

Chad Dawson, Crisco Arreola, David Haye I don't think care, it isn't a priority.

Paul Williams, Andre Ward and maybe Tim Bradley don't understand what it takes.

He's a cheater and now he's shot, but Shane Mosely had both the understanding and the desire.
Back to top Go down
hardcoreBEE24
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Thomas Hearns

PostSubject: Re: Current Fighters Today that you think DONT want to be Great   Current Fighters Today that you think DONT want to be Great EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 1:11 pm

Dave Haye
Donaire
Berto will never be great
Pavlik missed his boat
Paul Williams
pretty much any of Haymons fighters
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: Current Fighters Today that you think DONT want to be Great   Current Fighters Today that you think DONT want to be Great EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 1:11 pm

Ali_1748 wrote:
Like him or not Flod is already a great, the problem is he has the ability to crack the top ten but no yarbles to achieve that task.

Paul Williams
Lucian Bute
David Haye

Floyd sets his own context on this one. HE is the one who tells us how we ought to judge him isn't he? In THAT context he falls short.
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Current Fighters Today that you think DONT want to be Great   Current Fighters Today that you think DONT want to be Great EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 1:12 pm

Agreed on Floyd, similar to Haye - good career but can try for a great achievement by challenging a Klitschko or Pac for Floyd

Does seem like Floyd's career is losing its shine, solid run at 130-135, but so many fights that havent happened

Bute? really?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Current Fighters Today that you think DONT want to be Great   Current Fighters Today that you think DONT want to be Great EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 1:14 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
Agreed on Floyd, similar to Haye - good career but can try for a great achievement by challenging a Klitschko or Pac for Floyd

Does seem like Floyd's career is losing its shine, solid run at 130-135, but so many fights that havent happened

Bute? really?

Had the opportunity to challenge the Light Heavyweight champion in a big fight for Canadian boxing and opted instead for a Contender dropout.
Back to top Go down
hardcoreBEE24
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Current Fighters Today that you think DONT want to be Great   Current Fighters Today that you think DONT want to be Great EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 1:14 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:

Paul Williams
Lucian Bute
David Haye

Floyd sets his own context on this one. HE is the one who tells us how we ought to judge him isn't he? In THAT context he falls short.

He's better than Ali Robinson Louis Duran Leonard Hagler Combined...according to Floyd.
Back to top Go down
WinstonSmith
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
WinstonSmith

Favorite Fighter(s) : Marvin Hagler,Ben Henderson,Rich Franklin,Clay Guida

PostSubject: Re: Current Fighters Today that you think DONT want to be Great   Current Fighters Today that you think DONT want to be Great EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 1:16 pm

The only thing important to Mayweather is an undefeated record,that is why he cherry picks his opponents and has no real desire to fight Pacquiao.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Current Fighters Today that you think DONT want to be Great   Current Fighters Today that you think DONT want to be Great EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 1:18 pm

Allan Green, Floyd, Haye, Povetkin, Dirrell, Ward, Cintron, PW,
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Current Fighters Today that you think DONT want to be Great   Current Fighters Today that you think DONT want to be Great EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 1:18 pm

To me Povetkin was just following his trainers advice.
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Current Fighters Today that you think DONT want to be Great   Current Fighters Today that you think DONT want to be Great EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 1:19 pm

Ali_1748 wrote:
Had the opportunity to challenge the Light Heavyweight champion in a big fight for Canadian boxing and opted instead for a Contender dropout.

True, but his intent is to rule 168, why knock him for that? Not like he's had any credible fights at 175 like your savior Haye
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Current Fighters Today that you think DONT want to be Great   Current Fighters Today that you think DONT want to be Great EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 1:20 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:

True, but his intent is to rule 168, why knock him for that? Not like he's had any credible fights at 175 like your savior Haye

It was one opportunity to become a champion and a superstar, Bute didn't have the courage to accept Sad
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: Current Fighters Today that you think DONT want to be Great   Current Fighters Today that you think DONT want to be Great EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 1:20 pm

Ali_1748 wrote:
gomez1012 wrote:

Bute? really?

This is a point of disagreement amongst us. I just don't think weight moving should be required. I mean do you hold it nagainst Monzon that he didn't fight Bob Foster or Hagler he didn't fight Mike Spinks?
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

Ali_1748 wrote:

You dont think he should of had the confidence to tell Teddy "I can beat Wlad"
Back to top Go down
hardcoreBEE24
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Current Fighters Today that you think DONT want to be Great   Current Fighters Today that you think DONT want to be Great EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 1:21 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:

I don't know why people have a problem with him wanting to clean out his division.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: Current Fighters Today that you think DONT want to be Great   Current Fighters Today that you think DONT want to be Great EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 1:21 pm

Ali_1748 wrote:

Yeah Povetkin gets a pass, for now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Current Fighters Today that you think DONT want to be Great   Current Fighters Today that you think DONT want to be Great EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 1:24 pm

hardcoreBEE24 wrote:
gomez1012 wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:

I don't know why people have a problem with him wanting to clean out his division.

That's not going to happen for at least a year, one trip to 175lb for the Lineal title in a very winnable fight wouldn't harm his chances of cleaning out 168lb.

Just look at Sergio Martinez, he was a Jr Middleweight and he took that chance to capture the Middleweight crown and he's now a star in the making.

No risk, no reward.
Back to top Go down
hardcoreBEE24
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Current Fighters Today that you think DONT want to be Great   Current Fighters Today that you think DONT want to be Great EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 1:26 pm

Ali_1748 wrote:
hardcoreBEE24 wrote:
gomez1012 wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:

That's not going to happen for at least a year, one trip to 175lb for the Lineal title in a very winnable fight wouldn't harm his chances of cleaning out 168lb.

Just look at Sergio Martinez, he was a Jr Middleweight and he took that chance to capture the Middleweight crown and he's now a star in the making.

No risk, no reward.

Look at how weak 160 is. Its pathetic. He can't even get a defense at the 160 limit. That division facilitated that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Current Fighters Today that you think DONT want to be Great   Current Fighters Today that you think DONT want to be Great EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 1:28 pm

hardcoreBEE24 wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:
hardcoreBEE24 wrote:
gomez1012 wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:

No risk, no reward.

Look at how weak 160 is. Its pathetic. He can't even get a defense at the 160 limit. That division facilitated that.

I love Jean Pascal, I would literally go down on....... but he's a very beatable champion.
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Current Fighters Today that you think DONT want to be Great   Current Fighters Today that you think DONT want to be Great EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 1:32 pm

Ali_1748 wrote:
I love Jean Pascal, I would literally go down on....... but he's a very beatable champion.

Current Fighters Today that you think DONT want to be Great 44608

sure you dont want to make him into a popsicle?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Current Fighters Today that you think DONT want to be Great   Current Fighters Today that you think DONT want to be Great EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 1:34 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:

Current Fighters Today that you think DONT want to be Great 44608

sure you dont want to make him into a popsicle?

LOL
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: Current Fighters Today that you think DONT want to be Great   Current Fighters Today that you think DONT want to be Great EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 1:35 pm

Ali_1748 wrote:
hardcoreBEE24 wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:
hardcoreBEE24 wrote:
gomez1012 wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:

No risk, no reward.

And I thought I loved and revered Finito Lopez! I'd buy him a woman, but I draw the line at doing it myself!
Back to top Go down
hardcoreBEE24
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Current Fighters Today that you think DONT want to be Great   Current Fighters Today that you think DONT want to be Great EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 1:38 pm

K
Ali_1748 wrote:
hardcoreBEE24 wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:
hardcoreBEE24 wrote:
gomez1012 wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:

No risk, no reward.

You have to get out more lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Current Fighters Today that you think DONT want to be Great   Current Fighters Today that you think DONT want to be Great EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 1:39 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:

You dont think he should of had the confidence to tell Teddy "I can beat Wlad"
If you want to be great you take risks instead of waiting for the risk to either retire or get to old. Did Manny take a risk fighting Ledwaba?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Current Fighters Today that you think DONT want to be Great   Current Fighters Today that you think DONT want to be Great Empty

Back to top Go down

Current Fighters Today that you think DONT want to be Great
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next