Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Miguel Cotto vs Kermit Cintron/Vanes Martirosyan, Chavez Jr vs Walek double header planned for Dec

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Miguel Cotto vs Kermit Cintron/Vanes Martirosyan, Chavez Jr vs Walek double header planned for Dec Empty
PostSubject: Miguel Cotto vs Kermit Cintron/Vanes Martirosyan, Chavez Jr vs Walek double header planned for Dec   Miguel Cotto vs Kermit Cintron/Vanes Martirosyan, Chavez Jr vs Walek double header planned for Dec EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 6:49 am

Top Rank's CEO Bob Arum confirmed a story that was broken on Thursday by BoxingScene.com's Rick Reeno, who reported Top Rank's possible plan to create a doubleheader on December 4 in Atlantic City with Miguel Cotto and Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. in separate fights.

Cotto and Chavez were initially scheduled to face each other on the December date, but Arum cited concerns over marketing for the switch in direction. Arum felt the Cotto-Chavez fight was taking place too close to the Manny Pacquiao vs. Antonio Margarito pay-per-view, which happens on November 13. He says Cotto vs. Chavez could be a much bigger event if they push it back to the spring of 2011.

In BoxingScene's report, it was written that Cotto would likely face fellow Puerto Rican Kermit Cintron, and Chavez would go in the ring against Polish boxer Pawel Wolak. Arum confirmed both of those possible fights, but says junior middleweight Vanes Martirosyan is another strong candidate to challenge Cotto for his WBA title.

"Let's put them together in the same event and if both come out with flying colors in their respective fights, we'll look at the possibility that they meet next spring. Our fear is due to the proximity of an event of the magnitude of Manny Pacquiao vs. Antonio Margarito. By making it in December, that event would not be as successful. It's better to move Cotto-Chavez Jr. to the spring, when it would be a bigger event," Arum told reporter Carlos Gonzalez.

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=31054
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ricky Burns

Miguel Cotto vs Kermit Cintron/Vanes Martirosyan, Chavez Jr vs Walek double header planned for Dec Empty
PostSubject: Re: Miguel Cotto vs Kermit Cintron/Vanes Martirosyan, Chavez Jr vs Walek double header planned for Dec   Miguel Cotto vs Kermit Cintron/Vanes Martirosyan, Chavez Jr vs Walek double header planned for Dec EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 8:55 am

I really would like to see Cintron vs Cotto.

It is a good fight for both guys. Cintron carries 154 much better than Cotto. Cotto is a better fighter than Cintron. Should be a pick em type matchup if it comes off.

Back to top Go down
Diego408
Green Belt
Green Belt
Diego408

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Marquez Brothers, Robert Guerrero, Abner Mares, Andre Ward, Sergio Martinez, Devon Alexander, Jose Benavidez Jr and Nick Diaz

PostSubject: Re: Miguel Cotto vs Kermit Cintron/Vanes Martirosyan, Chavez Jr vs Walek double header planned for Dec   Miguel Cotto vs Kermit Cintron/Vanes Martirosyan, Chavez Jr vs Walek double header planned for Dec EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 12:26 pm

I would prefer Cotto vs Cintron and Chavez jr vs Vanes.

Am I the only one that thinks Cintron should be the betting favorite? Cintron has almost every advantage. Cotto is a dwarf in this weight class.
Back to top Go down
SlickMoneyXL
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
SlickMoneyXL

Favorite Fighter(s) : Miguel Cotto, Efrain Escudero

PostSubject: Re: Miguel Cotto vs Kermit Cintron/Vanes Martirosyan, Chavez Jr vs Walek double header planned for Dec   Miguel Cotto vs Kermit Cintron/Vanes Martirosyan, Chavez Jr vs Walek double header planned for Dec EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 1:47 pm

Vanes should fight Lara. They've been shitting on each other this past week. I thought that Arum was planning to do another in house fight with the winner of Chavez-Cotto fighting the winner of Pac-Margo. Guess not.

Cintron really hasnt shown much power at 154. I'd still take Cotto.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Miguel Cotto vs Kermit Cintron/Vanes Martirosyan, Chavez Jr vs Walek double header planned for Dec   Miguel Cotto vs Kermit Cintron/Vanes Martirosyan, Chavez Jr vs Walek double header planned for Dec EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 1:48 pm

Cintron buckled Paul Williams with a right hand at Jr Middleweight.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Miguel Cotto vs Kermit Cintron/Vanes Martirosyan, Chavez Jr vs Walek double header planned for Dec   Miguel Cotto vs Kermit Cintron/Vanes Martirosyan, Chavez Jr vs Walek double header planned for Dec EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 1:52 pm

Former welterweight champion Kermit Cintron reached out to BoxingScene.com, furious at the latest developments in his negotiations to face WBA junior middleweight champion Miguel Cotto on December 4. According to Cintron, he was informed that Cotto's trainer, Emanuel Steward, is discouraging Cotto from accepting the fight, and advising the Puerto Rican star to face the secondary option, unbeaten Vanes Martirosyan. Steward had at one time trained Cintron. The two parted ways on good terms.

Top Rank, who promotes Cotto, are looking to stage a doubleheader on December 4 with Cotto in the main event and Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. in the co-feature.

"You have two great fighters who are willing to fight each other, and then you have a trainer, Emanuel Steward, who used to train me and is training Cotto right now. Emanuel Steward, I'm really surprised by the way that he's handling this by not accepting me as an opponent. He trained both of us, so he knows better than not taking the fight because he knows that I'm going to knock Cotto out. At the same time, it's bullsh*t that he's doing this," Cintron told BoxingScene.com.

"Emanuel Steward, he's taking food from my kids by doing that. I'm just hoping that he grows some balls. He says that he's a good friend of mine. He should grow some balls and let the fight happen. I think he's being a piece of sh*t right there. He's stealing from me, and that's how I feel. Just let the fight happen and accept the fact that Cotto will get knocked out if the fight happens."

Cintron has nothing personal against Vanes, but he doesn't believe the unbeaten contender has done enough to deserve a big opportunity like Cotto. Vanes, like Cotto, is promoted by Top Rank.

"He has a big mouth. He's been on BoxingScene calling out all of the 154-pounders but hasn't really done too much to deserve the fight. I have nothing against him. No disrespect to him, but he doesn't deserve the fight. He's a lot safer than Emanuel Steward taking the fight with me. To take this opportunity from me, that's just bullsh*t. That's why a lot of people talk about boxing and say boxing is going downhill. Why not let the best fighters fight each other? F*ck that fighting safe sh*t. All of my career I've been fighting tough guys. I've won and I've lost," Cintron said.

"It's a way bigger fight with two Puerto Rican fighters, who are both from Puetro Rico. For Emanuel to take the fight away, that's just being a piece of sh*t. And if that's the case, then I have no respect for Emanuel Steward anymore."

Cintron has been wanting to fight Cotto since the two of them were reigning champions in the welterweight division. While he admits to being a big fan of Cotto, he is hungry to make the all-Puerto Rican clash happen in December.

"This fight should have happened when all of us were world champions [at welterweight]. When he was a world champion. When I was a world champion and when [Carlos] Quintana was a world champion. At that time, it was a beautiful thing because we had three great fighters from Puerto Rico, champions at the same time in the same weight class. The fight should have happened at that time," Cintron said.

"I want to fight him. I have nothing against Cotto. I've been a big fan of his since when he first started his career. When he fought in Atlantic City, I went to watch him. I have nothing against him, it's just the business aspect of it. The fight needs to happen. A lot of people have been waiting for it to happen and it's time."

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=31062
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Miguel Cotto vs Kermit Cintron/Vanes Martirosyan, Chavez Jr vs Walek double header planned for Dec   Miguel Cotto vs Kermit Cintron/Vanes Martirosyan, Chavez Jr vs Walek double header planned for Dec EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 3:35 pm

Cintron is willing to fight Cotto. It is a big payday for him and a winnable fight.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Miguel Cotto vs Kermit Cintron/Vanes Martirosyan, Chavez Jr vs Walek double header planned for Dec   Miguel Cotto vs Kermit Cintron/Vanes Martirosyan, Chavez Jr vs Walek double header planned for Dec EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 3:39 pm

Round 1 10-9 Brook; late in the round Jennings seemed to land a few jabs (after 2.5 mins of nothing from him). Brook beat him to the punch, used the jab, didn't land any big right hands.

Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Miguel Cotto vs Kermit Cintron/Vanes Martirosyan, Chavez Jr vs Walek double header planned for Dec   Miguel Cotto vs Kermit Cintron/Vanes Martirosyan, Chavez Jr vs Walek double header planned for Dec EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 3:43 pm

Kell is open for the right hand. He doesn't use the left hand to protect his chin properly. Jennings won't be the fighter to exploit that, but as he moves up the ladder at 147, someone else will do so.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Miguel Cotto vs Kermit Cintron/Vanes Martirosyan, Chavez Jr vs Walek double header planned for Dec   Miguel Cotto vs Kermit Cintron/Vanes Martirosyan, Chavez Jr vs Walek double header planned for Dec Empty

Back to top Go down

Miguel Cotto vs Kermit Cintron/Vanes Martirosyan, Chavez Jr vs Walek double header planned for Dec
Page 1 of 1