Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Is the Press guilty of racism towards Mayweather?

Go down 
+2
Canvas
4445Frank
6 posters
AuthorMessage
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Is the Press guilty of racism towards Mayweather?  Empty
PostSubject: Is the Press guilty of racism towards Mayweather?    Is the Press guilty of racism towards Mayweather?  EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 10:40 am

I'm just putting this out as a possibility. Could it be that others are held to a higher standard than Floyd Mayweather because they are thought to be smarter? Sure, what Floyd said was racist. However are Floyd's comments really offensive or is the common feeling that he's honestly too dumb to know any better? If a fighter who seemed to be of a more intelligent background made these comments, there would be a price to pay. However, most see Floyd as a gangbanger/thug and have little or no interest in his outlook on anything. Due to the disgusting, classless, racist and cowardly outburst that he exhibited having little backlash (where's the outrage from ESPN??), what other explanation would suffice? Rush Limbaugh was thrown off of ESPN for stating that Donovan McNabb (Spelling) was given a break by the press because he was black. A far cry from what Mayweather just said. The only conclusion I can come up with is that there is no major reaction from any member of the boxing press because Mayweather is thought to be mentally slow and irresponsible by nature. The tragedy here is that each one of the characteristics I've given Floyd are synonymous with "racism." Racism is ignorance and Mayweather should be held accountable. It is my opinion that the press is exhibiting a different type of racism towards Mayweather by not being outraged. It's called "The Racism of Low Expectations." Though I may share their opinion about this sickening, mental midget, he should be made an example to others as to what's acceptable and unacceptable conduct for any athlete to exhibit.
Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Is the Press guilty of racism towards Mayweather?    Is the Press guilty of racism towards Mayweather?  EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 10:56 am

of course. everyone has been so badly bullied by the politically correct types and those with an agenda, that they are afraid to hold any so called minority accountable for their actions out of fear of being called a racist... been that way for a quarter century now....

we have a whole generation now who have been brainwashed to scream 'racism' when ever someone says something they don't like. It's become a very effective way to supress opposition to their agenda.

I mean the guy (Mayweather) isn't even just slightly unlikeable- he is revolting

Last edited by Canvas on Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Is the Press guilty of racism towards Mayweather?    Is the Press guilty of racism towards Mayweather?  EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 11:02 am

"The Racism of Low Expectations." - you hit it right on the head Frank. The refusal to hold certain indivduals to common standards due to "their culture" or upbringing is racist. There are millions in this country who make a criminal career out of tapping into that mindset.

Last edited by Canvas on Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:09 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Is the Press guilty of racism towards Mayweather?    Is the Press guilty of racism towards Mayweather?  EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 11:04 am

The press is guilty of notcaringaboutboxingism. Floyd is intent on ducking Pacman, the press knows it. Mayweather doesn't sell dick anymore. Chael Sonnen is "in", Mayweather is out. He's a negative stereotype no one wants to deal with. He's like Michael Vick before the dogfighting incident. He's hated by everyone except for his staunch supporters in the African American community. Except his haters don't really watch boxing and will turn the channel if Mayweather assbabble infests their screen.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Is the Press guilty of racism towards Mayweather?    Is the Press guilty of racism towards Mayweather?  EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 11:06 am

Canvas wrote:
"The Racism of Low Expectations." - you hit it right on the head Frank. The refusal to hold certain indivduals to common standards due to "their culture" or ubringing is racist. There are millions in this country who make a criminal career out of tapping into that mindset.

Floyd is what he is. Floyd doesn't bring ratings in. He makes black people buy PPVs. Those people don't want to hear about him being a jerk. His fans aint bothered by what he said at all.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Is the Press guilty of racism towards Mayweather?    Is the Press guilty of racism towards Mayweather?  EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 11:43 am

Further - no one here saw his comments as particularly offensive or racist until articles came out calling what he said racist. Go back and reread the initial thread.

Is the press guilty or are boxing fans guilty?
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Is the Press guilty of racism towards Mayweather?    Is the Press guilty of racism towards Mayweather?  EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 12:07 pm

Thanks for the comments, Canvas. Wolf, in instances like this, the press moves first. People on this board like to engage in positive conversation and MW is left out of most threads. However, we both know it's the responsibility of the press to make a big deal out of this. Most people see on TV and then do themselves. That's what I've noticed. A post on here is important to some members here. A powerful word from ESPN is important to millions of people.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Is the Press guilty of racism towards Mayweather?    Is the Press guilty of racism towards Mayweather?  EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 12:11 pm

Quote :
Thanks for the comments, Canvas. Wolf, in instances like this, the press moves first. People on this board like to engage in positive conversation and MW is left out of most threads. However, we both know it's the responsibility of the press to make a big deal out of this. Most people see on TV and then do themselves. That's what I've noticed. A post on here is important to some members here. A powerful word from ESPN is important to millions of people.

What drives the press? What drives outcry? Concern from those concerned about the subject of the story. No one in boxing gave a shit about what he said. Boxing in the USA couldn't function if it cannibalized every black fighter who said racially insensitive things.

No one cares.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ricky Burns

PostSubject: Re: Is the Press guilty of racism towards Mayweather?    Is the Press guilty of racism towards Mayweather?  EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 12:22 pm

Further - no one here saw his comments as particularly offensive or racist until articles came out calling what he said racist. Go back and reread the initial thread.

Is the press guilty or are boxing fans guilty?

I called his comments racist as soon as I saw them. If you call someone yellow and tell him he can make some sushi rolls and cook some rice, I find that racist. If Pac called Floyd the N word, and said that after he was done with him, Floyd could cook him some fried chicken and fetch him some watermelon, the press would have been up in arms.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Is the Press guilty of racism towards Mayweather?    Is the Press guilty of racism towards Mayweather?  EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 12:47 pm

Oh, I agree they were racist, but unless I missed your comment we were like six pages deep before anyone said anything about racism in the thread.

No one cares about African American's being racist in general. When was the last time significant media outcry outside of the Fox-News umbrella happened over black racism?

How about the freakin' Black Panthers standing around intimidating voters at the election last year? Where was the outcry from the media on that? If that can't get coverage what makes you think some niche PPV sideshow attraction saying "yellow" is going to get big time coverage? I really doubt without Fox News that lady who was fired over only a part of her speech would have been touched.

The media still gives African Americans a pass. A daughter of a slave voted for Obama. There is still a lot of white guilt at work at black people are just sort of "allowed" to be racist without many consequences.

Just how it is mang.
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Is the Press guilty of racism towards Mayweather?    Is the Press guilty of racism towards Mayweather?  EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 1:15 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Oh, I agree they were racist, but unless I missed your comment we were like six pages deep before anyone said anything about racism in the thread.

No one cares about African American's being racist in general. When was the last time significant media outcry outside of the Fox-News umbrella happened over black racism?

How about the freakin' Black Panthers standing around intimidating voters at the election last year? Where was the outcry from the media on that? If that can't get coverage what makes you think some niche PPV sideshow attraction saying "yellow" is going to get big time coverage? I really doubt without Fox News that lady who was fired over only a part of her speech would have been touched.

The media still gives African Americans a pass. A daughter of a slave voted for Obama. There is still a lot of white guilt at work at black people are just sort of "allowed" to be racist without many consequences.

Just how it is mang.
Obama will have to answer the "Black Panther" question during his next run for president. As far as Blacks being given a pass, I think it comes from some very powerful and greedy sponsers of CNN and MSNBC who do not want to lose a penny by angering Sharpton or Jackson. At least in America, everything comes down to money.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

PostSubject: Re: Is the Press guilty of racism towards Mayweather?    Is the Press guilty of racism towards Mayweather?  EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 1:17 pm

Yes.

Nice post.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Is the Press guilty of racism towards Mayweather?    Is the Press guilty of racism towards Mayweather?  EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 1:18 pm

LOL what money does Sharpton or Jackson command?

It comes down to people with gray hair having used black-only water fountains when they were young.
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Is the Press guilty of racism towards Mayweather?    Is the Press guilty of racism towards Mayweather?  EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 1:19 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
LOL what money does Sharpton or Jackson command?

It comes down to people with gray hair having used black-only water fountains when they were young.
If Sharpton calls for a boycott of a product, the big whigs of that company give him what he wants. He's a professional extortionist. That's how he makes his living.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Is the Press guilty of racism towards Mayweather?    Is the Press guilty of racism towards Mayweather?  EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 1:28 pm

Nobody listens to what he has to say. Sharpton and Jackson are cultural "town crazies". I'd have to see data that says a significant portion of the African American consumer base follow their lead. I'd be more worried about running afoul of Tyler Perry.
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Is the Press guilty of racism towards Mayweather?    Is the Press guilty of racism towards Mayweather?  EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 1:32 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Nobody listens to what he has to say. Sharpton and Jackson are cultural "town crazies". I'd have to see data that says a significant portion of the African American consumer base follow their lead. I'd be more worried about running afoul of Tyler Perry.
Cool. This is growing into a debate that I'm really not interested in. I'm disgusted with MWs comments. Let's just leave it at that. I try and stop commenting on this guy, but every time I do, he seems to bring me back in. The thread was to express disgust with MW and ESPN for not commenting further on his comments. That's it. I'm not going around the world and back again with this subject.
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

PostSubject: Re: Is the Press guilty of racism towards Mayweather?    Is the Press guilty of racism towards Mayweather?  EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 1:40 pm

frank captain and canvas i agree totaly in your statements and posts..accurate and fair.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Is the Press guilty of racism towards Mayweather?    Is the Press guilty of racism towards Mayweather?  EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 1:41 pm

ESPN made what he said front page news and called it racist. This is the first week of freakin' college football. How much coverage did you actually expect with him having no fights scheduled?
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Is the Press guilty of racism towards Mayweather?    Is the Press guilty of racism towards Mayweather?  EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 2:04 pm

dmar5143 wrote:
frank captain and canvas i agree totaly in your statements and posts..accurate and fair.
Much Appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Is the Press guilty of racism towards Mayweather?    Is the Press guilty of racism towards Mayweather?  EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 3:02 pm

And here we go with the politically correct bullying, from virus scene:

The National Federation of Filipino American Associations (NaFFAA) has strongly condemned boxing star Floyd Mayweather Jr.’s blatantly racist and homophobic attacks against Filipino boxing champ Manny Pacquiao ...

....“We call on the National Boxing Association and state athletic commissions to censure Mayweather for behavior that is both abhorrent and demeaning to boxing fans and to the whole world of sports. We also call on the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) to reprimand the boxing star for insulting people of color. We are further asking all civil rights organizations to stand in solidarity with us in denouncing this racist and homophobic rant.

Mayweather’s apology is unacceptable and he must be made accountable for his damaging statements.

“At a time when immigrant communities are being viewed with increasing suspicion and mistrust, Mayweather’s cruel, abusive and hurtful remarks can only stoke more hostility, derision and resentment against individuals who look foreign by virtue of their looks, their size or the sound of their names. Coming from a boxing celebrity with millions of fans around the world, Mayweather’s shameless and reckless conduct unfairly paints an entire racial and ethnic group with a broad brush and seriously undermines America’s core values of inclusivity and racial tolerance.”
-----------------------------------------------------------

give me a break. i hate this garbage - the sanctimony of a special interest group.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is the Press guilty of racism towards Mayweather?    Is the Press guilty of racism towards Mayweather?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Is the Press guilty of racism towards Mayweather?
Page 1 of 1