Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bob Arum still refusing to make a third Manny Pacquaio vs Juan Manuel Marquez fight

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Bob Arum still refusing to make a third Manny Pacquaio vs Juan Manuel Marquez fight Empty
PostSubject: Bob Arum still refusing to make a third Manny Pacquaio vs Juan Manuel Marquez fight   Bob Arum still refusing to make a third Manny Pacquaio vs Juan Manuel Marquez fight EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 5:03 am

On Thursday, Golden Boy Promotions President Oscar De La Hoya held a conference call with select media to state his case on why Manny Pacquiao should fight Juan Manuel Marquez in a trilogy bout on November 13 at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas. Pacquiao is scheduled to fight Antonio Margarito, who De La Hoya believes should be banned for life for last year's hand-wrapping scandal.

Top Rank CEO Bob Arum, who promotes Pacquiao, is willing to make the trilogy fight, but not before Marquez proves his worth at a weight beyond 135-pounds. Based on Marquez's lopsided decision loss to Floyd Mayweather in September 2009, Arum says there is no evidence to suggest that Marquez is capable of being competitive at welterweight. Arum would like to see Marquez face WBC welterweight champion Andre Berto; one of the smaller fighters at the weight.

"One thing that he hasn't demonstrated is that he can compete as a welterweight. He certainly didn't demonstrate that in the fight with Floyd Mayweather. Before he starts talking about fighting Manny Pacquiao at this higher weight, let him fight a legitimate welterweight," Arum said.

"Let him fight Andre Berto, who is looking for a fight. Let him fight Joshua Clottey, who I promote and who I can get for him to fight. Let him fight a legitimate welterweight. Once he fights a legitimate welterweight, and succeeds, then, don't you think that we would love to put him in against Manny Pacquiao?"

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=30228
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ricky Burns

Bob Arum still refusing to make a third Manny Pacquaio vs Juan Manuel Marquez fight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bob Arum still refusing to make a third Manny Pacquaio vs Juan Manuel Marquez fight   Bob Arum still refusing to make a third Manny Pacquaio vs Juan Manuel Marquez fight EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 9:34 am

"Bullshit" Bob Arum strikes again. Their stance does neglect the fact that even though Pac has moved up it isn't asking a ton for him to move back down to a reasonable weight for the fight.

I think Marquez will struggle mightily in any fight above 135. To me his body looks at its fighting max there. A fight against Khan at 140 or Pac at 140 or so is asking too much.
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

PostSubject: Re: Bob Arum still refusing to make a third Manny Pacquaio vs Juan Manuel Marquez fight   Bob Arum still refusing to make a third Manny Pacquaio vs Juan Manuel Marquez fight EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 10:10 am

for once ill agree with arum..mannys not coming down to 140..thoses days are over plus there are several more potentialy better fights for pac..asking marquez to fight one fight at welter against a good welter is not out of line..golden boys just looking to latch onto a big money fight and they see pac as there top choice..get floyd in the ring against clottey berto williams golden boy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bob Arum still refusing to make a third Manny Pacquaio vs Juan Manuel Marquez fight   Bob Arum still refusing to make a third Manny Pacquaio vs Juan Manuel Marquez fight EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 11:50 am

Perhaps this is a blessing in disguise, I mean do we really want to see this rivalry end similar to Marquez vs Vazquez ? at Welterweight this fight won't be very competitive.

I have to disagree dmar on Manny's 140lb days being over. He eats thousands of calories just to make Welterweight and it's actually putting a strain on his body ( Ariza was relieved with the congress position as it allows Manny time away from supplements and protein shakes), I strongly believe Manny could make 140lb standing on his head and could even drop as low as 135lb, Freddie doesn't want to do it because he can't handle a grumpy Manny when he's not allowed a unrestricted diet.

I would only be interested in a third fight if it was at a catchweight between Lightweight and Jr Welterweight.
Back to top Go down
victor879
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostSubject: Re: Bob Arum still refusing to make a third Manny Pacquaio vs Juan Manuel Marquez fight   Bob Arum still refusing to make a third Manny Pacquaio vs Juan Manuel Marquez fight EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 11:50 am

I think Arum is worried a 3rd fight with JMM will still be fairly competitive.

Just IMO.

Last edited by victor879 on Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bob Arum still refusing to make a third Manny Pacquaio vs Juan Manuel Marquez fight   Bob Arum still refusing to make a third Manny Pacquaio vs Juan Manuel Marquez fight EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 11:51 am

Oh and Bob made a good point about Berto being free because it should be Andre facing Pacquiao in November and not Margarito.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bob Arum still refusing to make a third Manny Pacquaio vs Juan Manuel Marquez fight   Bob Arum still refusing to make a third Manny Pacquaio vs Juan Manuel Marquez fight Empty

Back to top Go down

Bob Arum still refusing to make a third Manny Pacquaio vs Juan Manuel Marquez fight
Page 1 of 1