Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What Zuffa should do...

Go down 
+4
acccardinal12
KingsOwn19
Ludo
boomer sooner
8 posters
AuthorMessage
boomer sooner
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, since way back

What Zuffa should do... Empty
PostSubject: What Zuffa should do...   What Zuffa should do... EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 5:37 pm

Merge the WEC into the UFC. The best way to do it is through TUF. Maybe have Urijah Faber vs. Miguel Torres as the coaches and the UFC would have the most exciting fights TUF has ever seen. This would also eliminate the nightmare scenarios of UFC cards being headlined by Coleman/Couture or Silva/Evans. You could literally have a title fight headline every card.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: What Zuffa should do...   What Zuffa should do... EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 5:55 pm

boomer sooner wrote:
Merge the WEC into the UFC. The best way to do it is through TUF. Maybe have Urijah Faber vs. Miguel Torres as the coaches and the UFC would have the most exciting fights TUF has ever seen. This would also eliminate the nightmare scenarios of UFC cards being headlined by Coleman/Couture or Silva/Evans. You could literally have a title fight headline every card.

Maybe every pay per view. Every card would require each belt defended at least 3 times a year including Featherweight and Bantamweight. UFC averages about 22 cards a year including Fight nights and UFC on Versus' at this point.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: What Zuffa should do...   What Zuffa should do... EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 6:38 pm

I don't think they should do it.

It would just give us less FW and BW bouts and we get the higest profile FW and BW bouts for free on VS. unless there is a name they think they can milk one last time before he gets destroyed(Faber).

I think UFC should absorb the LW's and leave WEC exclusive for FW, BW and lower weight classes and possibly women in the future.

There is also people getting something for free and then having to pay for it. That did not really work out great for Aldo-Faber which is the highest profile fight at the weight class as in the buyrate did not reflect how many people were really interested in that fight because people don't feel they should have to pay to watch Aldo or Faber because they have always watched them for free. Granted the buyrate it got was considered a success considering the purses involved but still..UFC marketing was behind it and it did a fraction what the average UFC PPV with a high profile fight with a huge name. Simply because people were used to watching all the talent involved for free.

I just don't see the point. I don't think it would strengthen the brand anymore than it is. It would just overcrowd the UFC when they already have enough divisions to worry about and i think if you pretty much have a title fight every month, then it would probably make title fights seem like less of a deal when they do main event a PPV...and UFC sells good with having a title main event half the time instead of all year.

Back to top Go down
boomer sooner
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, since way back

PostSubject: Re: What Zuffa should do...   What Zuffa should do... EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 6:50 pm

Good points.

I would love to see a TUF coached by Miguel/Urijah. I think the ratings would actually be huge and it would be a way to boost those weight classes to the Spike crowd. I think it would be epic.

Plus I think the UFC can market any fight and make it sound reasonable.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: What Zuffa should do...   What Zuffa should do... EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 7:44 pm

boomer sooner wrote:
Good points.

I would love to see a TUF coached by Miguel/Urijah. I think the ratings would actually be huge and it would be a way to boost those weight classes to the Spike crowd. I think it would be epic.

Plus I think the UFC can market any fight and make it sound reasonable.

I don't want them to merge. I do want to see the LW division merge after Gray fights BJ for the title though. Give Ben an immediate title shot also after that fight. LW champion showdown. I think it is a great idea for tough also. Faber and Torres would be awesome for the coaches.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: What Zuffa should do...   What Zuffa should do... EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 8:07 pm

Adding a flyweight division while absorbing FW and BW would ensure nearly every PPV has a title fight and would leave enough divisions for VS to still get free title events.

TUF's value would increase as unknown and uncared about champs such as Dominick Cruz could get the chance to be introduced to UFC casuals who don't know/like/care about the WEC.

I was surprised to see Evans/Silva do so poorly, I think that was a good main event that just underperformed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif

PostSubject: Re: What Zuffa should do...   What Zuffa should do... EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 4:23 am

That's actually a good idea Boomer.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: What Zuffa should do...   What Zuffa should do... EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 5:45 am

King'sown nailed it. Absorb the LWs and leave the FW and BW divisions intact and start creating a women's division.

Kings, I would have given you a rep point, but I can't. cheers
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: What Zuffa should do...   What Zuffa should do... EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 12:51 pm

That isn't sustainable. 11K to show and 11k to win while Lesnar and Silva are pocketing over a quarter million plus PPV? Don't expect the WEC fighters to stomach that forever.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

PostSubject: Re: What Zuffa should do...   What Zuffa should do... EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 4:03 pm

Then go fight at SF. Or Bellator. 3K to show/3K to win. Take that. This is a business not a fucking social.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: What Zuffa should do...   What Zuffa should do... EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 4:27 pm

Andrew the Raider King wrote:
Then go fight at SF. Or Bellator. 3K to show/3K to win. Take that. This is a business not a fucking social.

Sarah Kaufman makes more than Dominick Cruz so that's an idea that actually has merit, even if you said it just to be a cocksucker. You honestly think paying one champion millions while another makes a few thousand is smart business? All it will do is damage the development of talent in lower weight classes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What Zuffa should do...   What Zuffa should do... EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 4:28 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Andrew the Raider King wrote:

Sarah Kaufman makes more than Dominick Cruz so that's an idea that actually has merit, even if you said it just to be a cocksucker. You honestly think paying one champion millions while another makes a few thousand is smart business? All it will do is damage the development of talent in lower weight classes.

Most fans don't care about the Bantamweight and Featherweight divisions. That's why they don't make much money.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: What Zuffa should do...   What Zuffa should do... EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 4:30 pm

Quote :
Most fans don't care about the Bantamweight and Featherweight divisions. That's why they don't make much money.

That's because they're in the WEC and on VS. How would most fans know about them? Simple reasoning freak.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What Zuffa should do...   What Zuffa should do... EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 4:32 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Quote :

That's because they're in the WEC and on VS. How would most fans know about them? Simple reasoning freak.

Not really. Big always sells more.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: What Zuffa should do...   What Zuffa should do... EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 4:36 pm

Quick, what were the PPV buys for Pacman and Mayweather's last two fights each? What are HW PPVs doing? How much do they weigh again? Go.

That is a downright myth at this stage of the game. While HW will always have that attraction, fight fans, MMA fans, UFC fans all like good fights. WEC fights always deliver serious action. Always.

Did you see the gigantic bias the AlphaMale fighters had from the crowd the other night? They were in Vegas but the Cali fans made the trip to support their boys in force.

People like HW's, but they also like flying armbars and flashy spin kicks.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: What Zuffa should do...   What Zuffa should do... EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 4:40 pm

There is a reason Bellator has been doing FW tournaments since they started and they're just now getting around to boring us to death with a HW tournament.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What Zuffa should do...   What Zuffa should do... EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 4:41 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Quick, what were the PPV buys for Pacman and Mayweather's last two fights each? What are HW PPVs doing? How much do they weigh again? Go.

That is a downright myth at this stage of the game. While HW will always have that attraction, fight fans, MMA fans, UFC fans all like good fights. WEC fights always deliver serious action. Always.

Did you see the gigantic bias the AlphaMale fighters had from the crowd the other night? They were in Vegas but the Cali fans made the trip to support their boys in force.

I'm talking about MMA not Boxing. Anyways the heavyweight division in boxing is crap and Pacman and Mayweather are the top 2 boxers in the world. No one in the WEC is anywhere near that good. Also, what are the PPV numbers for any title fight in boxing for 130 or lower pounds? In MMA Brock is the highest buy getter.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

PostSubject: Re: What Zuffa should do...   What Zuffa should do... EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 4:42 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:

Actually Wolf, in this instance, I would love to agree with you. However, when it comes to MMA we should average the PPV buys on Brock vs. BJ and we would see BJ losing. Of course if you wanted BJ to win, you could say Fedor vs. BJ.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What Zuffa should do...   What Zuffa should do... EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 4:43 pm

Anyways, i'm off to bed. It's almost 7am and i'm still awake. Later guys.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: What Zuffa should do...   What Zuffa should do... EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 4:52 pm

Quote :
I'm talking about MMA not Boxing.

1. Um, that stereotype originated in boxing, not MMA, and applies to both sports evenly.

Quote :

Anyways the heavyweight division in boxing is crap and Pacman and Mayweather are the top 2 boxers in the world. No one in the WEC is anywhere near that good.

2. Jose Aldo already makes an incredible case with his absolutely world class(not misusing this term either) BJJ pedigree, stunning knockouts and iron clad takedown defense in the face of American wrestlers, and few move like Dominick Cruz in the entire sport. Before that, some felt Torres and Faber made legitimate P4P claims.

Quote :
Also, what are the PPV numbers for any title fight in boxing for 130 or lower pounds? In MMA Brock is the highest buy getter.

4. The WEC has no weight classes below 130 pounds and Brock Lesnar is a draw because he was a WWE superstar moreso than simply because he is huge.

5. What were Tim Sylvia's buyrates? How come AA, Couture ect didn't out draw everyone by a mile? Non Lesnar UFC PPV numbers for HW's are pedestrian and analogous to other divisions.
Back to top Go down
GolbeZ
Administrator
Administrator
GolbeZ

Favorite Fighter(s) : Condit, Machida, Aldo, Bendo, KJ Noons, Dominick Cruz The Praying Mantis

PostSubject: Re: What Zuffa should do...   What Zuffa should do... EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 5:01 pm

I cant believe there are people that don't want the merger.. It will make those PPVs that the UFC was going to make a PPV anyway that much more stacked .. as well as making the free ones just as stacked or possibly even more UFC free shows on VS and Spike.. I want the merge as well as a 125 division made .. and I can't stand hearing people say they dont like watching "little guys fight" ..

Sadly I do agree with have a bantam and feather TUF season ..
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: What Zuffa should do...   What Zuffa should do... EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 5:11 pm

A merger would be fine by me also.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: What Zuffa should do...   What Zuffa should do... EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 5:16 pm

Golbez I can understand both sides of the coin. I have flipped back and forth on this wildly over the last year. If they merge them, the WEC and the action packed free events disappear forever. We'd have free spike and VS events but they would be Fight-Night quality.

Last edited by Wolfgangsta on Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GolbeZ
Administrator
Administrator
GolbeZ

Favorite Fighter(s) : Condit, Machida, Aldo, Bendo, KJ Noons, Dominick Cruz The Praying Mantis

PostSubject: Re: What Zuffa should do...   What Zuffa should do... EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 5:17 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
That isn't sustainable. 11K to show and 11k to win while Lesnar and Silva are pocketing over a quarter million plus PPV? Don't expect the WEC fighters to stomach that forever.

and this^^
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: What Zuffa should do...   What Zuffa should do... EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 4:21 am

Wolfgangsta wrote:

While i agree the WEC fighters should get paid more...they are in no place to point to what Lesnar and Silva are pocketing for PPV's that they headline and their names sell when they fail more often than not to pull in a million viewers on a channel that is available to almost 100 million. You get what you put in at this stage in MMA development. Not everybody makes good money, even Frank Mir made pretty bad money for main eventing the highest selling UFC PPV of all time...What is good for those guys is that they are never on a shortage of fights. Since WEC is exclusive to their weight classes, you see guys every couple months where as if they fought for UFC where there as 5 other weight classes with deep divisions to showcase, they'll get less work and will more than likely get put at undercard duty or cable shows where they won't make that much more than they make in WEC. FW and BW are still young weight classes to the masses. Nobody knew much or cared for BW until Torres started getting a little hype and nobody cared about FW until Faber. I think WEC being exclusive for them is a positive thing that helps grow the division and i think WEC fighter potentially thinking they would deserve a huge pay raise because they got absorbed on cards that fighters the masses actually care about are selling is another reason why Zuffa won't make the move.

I do agree that UFC cards, or any fight card could use one or two FW and BW fights to get the crowd going as they are almost always crowd pleasers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Zuffa should do...   What Zuffa should do... Empty

Back to top Go down

What Zuffa should do...
Page 1 of 1