Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Antonio Margarito to appeal to get his license back in Nevada

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Antonio Margarito to appeal to get his license back in Nevada Empty
PostSubject: Antonio Margarito to appeal to get his license back in Nevada   Antonio Margarito to appeal to get his license back in Nevada EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 9:43 am

Former three time welterweight champion Antonio Margarito has finally made his move to reclaim his boxing license in the United States. Margarito's license to box was revoked last February during a hearing before the California State Athletic Commission. The California Commission found Margarito liable for an illegal substance discovered in his handwraps prior to his fight with Shane Mosley on January 24, 2009.

Not so fast. Margarito is not going to California to reclaim his license. The Mexican fighter is instead heading to Las Vegas this Friday to meet with Nevada State Athletic Commission. He filed a request to get his license in the state on June 18.

The executive director for the Nevada commission, Keith Kizer, told ESPN.com that Margarito's ability to reclaim his license will not be easy.

"He's going to have to answer some tough question here," Kizer said. "He has to be here in person. It's a heavy burden for him to satisfy, but it's his burden to meet. He'll have to explain anything the commissioners want to ask him about. I assume the commissioners will ask him a lot of questions. Some may be easy, some may be hard, but the burden is solely his."

Considering Floyd Mayweather Jr. has until mid-July to accept a proposal for a fight with Manny Pacquiao on November 13, Margarito is making his move to position himself to fight Pacquiao - if Mayweather turns down the proposal or lets the deadline pass.

Margarito is the reported frontrunner to fight Pacquiao, if Mayweather passes. WBA junior middleweight champion Miguel Cotto, the other frontrunner, met on Monday with Pacquiao's adviser Michael Koncz in Puerto Rico, to discuss a Pacquiao rematch. Both frontrunners appear to be positioning themselves for the huge money fight as the deadline for Mayweather to accept a Pacquiao deal is getting close.

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=29031
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ricky Burns

PostSubject: Re: Antonio Margarito to appeal to get his license back in Nevada   Antonio Margarito to appeal to get his license back in Nevada EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 10:47 am

I do not like Bob Arum. I do not like Michael Koncz. I do not like Pacman when it comes to business decisions.

If Mayweather fight doesn't materialize why fight a cheater? A cheater who got KOd by Mosley, sat out a year, and then looked like doggy doo in a comeback fight.

If Mayweather fight doesn't materialize why fight a rematch with Cotto? What has Cotto done to prove he has fixed the issues he had in the first fight?? Nothing!!! Manny can do a few little technical things to help Cotto, but Pac's speed will produce the same result. Who is going to pay to see a rematch???

I'm not sure who the best opponent for Pacman is (if Mayweather fight doesn't happen), but it sure isn't those two guys.

Last edited by captainanddew on Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
victor879
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostSubject: Re: Antonio Margarito to appeal to get his license back in Nevada   Antonio Margarito to appeal to get his license back in Nevada EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 10:48 am

Margarito should never be allowed to box again.

In a sport as violent and dangerous as boxing, there is NO EXCUSE for what he and his trainers were doing. They put the health and lives of possibly many fighters on the line for their own selfish reasons.

Fighters like Margarito should be publicly shamed and shunned while never being allowed to box in a sanctioned bout.

And this is coming from somebody who enjoyed watching Margarito in the ring. The guy is a bum in my eyes now and I can never respect him as a fighter again.
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Antonio Margarito to appeal to get his license back in Nevada   Antonio Margarito to appeal to get his license back in Nevada EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 11:36 am

I hope these commissioners do the right thing and deny this fool a license
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ricky Burns

PostSubject: Re: Antonio Margarito to appeal to get his license back in Nevada   Antonio Margarito to appeal to get his license back in Nevada EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 11:57 am

I agree, don't give him a license.

I also think that if he gets a license he should have to prove himself before getting a big fight. Prove that the gloves weren't always loaded. Prove that he has anything left after turning pro at a young age, taking shots with his face forever, getting destroyed by Mosley, and looking bad in his comeback. Even if he were clean and it was all his trainer's fault, he has done nothing since the Cotto fight to dictate that he should be on network tv.
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Antonio Margarito to appeal to get his license back in Nevada   Antonio Margarito to appeal to get his license back in Nevada EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 12:34 pm

I'm shocked that there's even a hearing. I've always thought Margarito was lucky not to see any jail time. I think giving him his license back, in Nevada of all places, is insane. Vegas is the boxing capital of the world. Antonio's gloves were loaded for the Cotto fight. I'm convinced everyone, even AM's biggest fans, know that. I also agree that Pacquiao should not consider fighting him. It sends a horrible message about the sport. If Mayweather walks away from Pac, I'd like to see him do the right thing and take on Berto or Alexander.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Antonio Margarito to appeal to get his license back in Nevada   Antonio Margarito to appeal to get his license back in Nevada Empty

Back to top Go down

Antonio Margarito to appeal to get his license back in Nevada
Page 1 of 1