Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

IBF Purse Bid Today for Wlad vs Povetkin

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

IBF Purse Bid Today for Wlad vs Povetkin Empty
PostSubject: IBF Purse Bid Today for Wlad vs Povetkin   IBF Purse Bid Today for Wlad vs Povetkin EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 12:10 pm

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/klitschko-povetkin-purse-bid-51155

Today at IBF Headquarters in East Orange, New Jersey, the organization will conduct the purse bid for the long awaited fight between WBO/IBF/IBO heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko (54-3, 28 KOs) and IBF heavyweight mandatory challenger Alexander Povetkin (19-0, 14 KOs) in September. This according Povetkin’s manager Vladimir Hrunov.

Sounds like we'll see Wlad crush Povetkin in September

I'm going to love to hear Teddy rip Povetkin in between rounds if he falls into the same coma as Wlad's recent challengers
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

PostSubject: Re: IBF Purse Bid Today for Wlad vs Povetkin   IBF Purse Bid Today for Wlad vs Povetkin EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 12:19 pm

lol well teddy lets walk the walk.lets see how well you prepare your fighter for this..if you do a good job maybe he has a chance.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: IBF Purse Bid Today for Wlad vs Povetkin   IBF Purse Bid Today for Wlad vs Povetkin EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 1:07 pm

Heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko will face mandatory challenger Alexander Povetkin in September in Germany after K2 Promotions, the company owned by Klitschko and his brother, fellow heavyweight titleholder Vitali Klitschko, won a purse bid Tuesday at the IBF headquarters in East Orange, N.J.

K2 Promotions bid $8,313,000 to easily beat the only other bidder, Povetkin promoter Sauerland Event, which offered $4,250,001. With the split going 75 percent for the champion and 25 percent for the challenger under IBF rules, Klitschko is entitled to $6,234,750 and Povetkin $2,078,250.

Going into the bid, it seemed unlikely that Sauerland Event could win the bid since it would have to give up 75 percent of the money.

K2 Promotions has 90 days to put on the fight and is planning for it to take place Sept. 11 or Sept. 18, probably in Frankfurt, Germany.

"We don't know exactly when or where yet because we are waiting to hear from the soccer league in Germany to tell us which dates the stadiums are available," Klitschko adviser Shelly Finkel told ESPN.com.

The fight between Olympic gold medalists -- Klitschko won for Ukraine in the 1996 Atlanta Games and Povetkin for Russia in the 2004 Athens Games -- is long overdue.

Povetkin (19-0, 14 KOs) has been the mandatory challenger since outpointing American Eddie Chambers in a competitive fight in Germany in a January 2008 title eliminator.

K2 had won a previous purse bid and the fight was scheduled to take place in December 2008. However, Povetkin withdrew after suffering a foot injury when he tripped over a tree root while running during training. Klitschko, 34, instead faced former champion Hasim Rahman and easily knocked him out in the seventh round.

They were planning the fight for a second time to take place at the end of 2009, but this time it was Klitschko who was injured. He hurt his shoulder during a lopsided 10th-round knockout of Ruslan Chagaev last June, needed surgery and did not fight for the rest of the year.

When Klitschko (54-3, 48 KOs) returned in March, it was for a WBO mandatory title defense, in which he dominated Chambers en route to a crushing 12th-round knockout. Klitschko will be making the ninth defense of his second title reign against Povetkin.

Klitschko had hoped to next face belt-holder David Haye of England to further unify titles. The IBF's rules allow unification fights to supersede mandatory bouts and Haye was available and in negotiations with K2. Haye has been relentless calling out and verbally attacking Klitschko and his brother, but ultimately declined a deal to fight Wladimir.

Klitschko's camp said it offered Haye the deal he wanted, a 50-50 financial split without options on any of his future bouts, but the offer was spurned and they moved on to Povetkin.

"We're happy to have won the purse bid and now we're looking forward to promoting the fight," said Tom Loeffler, the managing director of K2 Promotions. "Povetkin has been the mandatory challenger for some time. He's a high-quality contender and he's undefeated. Wladimir is happy to get this out of the way since it is his obligation to the IBF and because Haye isn't interested in fighting either of the brothers any time soon."

Sauerland Event said it would have been fine delaying the mandatory with Klitschko for him to fight Haye because it wanted to give Povetkin more time to adjust to being trained by Teddy Atlas, the ESPN ringside analyst for "Friday Night Fights" who now heads Povetkin's corner. But once the Klitschko-Haye talks went nowhere, K2 asked the IBF to order a purse bid since it did not feel it could make a deal with Sauerland Event.

"I think this is a great fight, the best one out there for the heavyweight division at this point with Haye not available," Finkel said. "With Haye not available, I don't know any other fight in the heavyweight division that would be better."

Povetkin (19-0, 14 KOs), 30, is coming off a fifth-round knockout of Javier Mora on March 13 in Germany, his second bout under Atlas' tutelage.

There are no set television plans for the fight in the United States, but HBO's Ross Greenburg told ESPN.com that the network, which has televised numerous Klitschko fights and also aired Povetkin-Chambers, has no plans to buy the fight

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=5339752

Last edited by Ali_1748 on Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

PostSubject: Re: IBF Purse Bid Today for Wlad vs Povetkin   IBF Purse Bid Today for Wlad vs Povetkin EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 1:35 pm

good the fights set..the K brothers put there money where there mouth is.promoting there own fight.thats financial confidence in them selves and there abilty to draw..lol maybe mayweather promotions should look at this instead of being a golden boy pawn.nawww they wont.
Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: IBF Purse Bid Today for Wlad vs Povetkin   IBF Purse Bid Today for Wlad vs Povetkin EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 1:47 pm

Wow. How is that for a sign of the current economic conditions ? The first time this fight went to bid a couple of years ago, K2 won the fight with a bid of $13 million.

This gives us a reminder that times are tough everywhere.

BTW- I think Atlas will hurt Povetkin more than help him. You gotta love Wlad taking on the best contender behind Vitali.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: IBF Purse Bid Today for Wlad vs Povetkin   IBF Purse Bid Today for Wlad vs Povetkin EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 1:49 pm

8 mill for a mandatory fight is still impressive, K2 are rolling in the dough just now.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ricky Burns

PostSubject: Re: IBF Purse Bid Today for Wlad vs Povetkin   IBF Purse Bid Today for Wlad vs Povetkin EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 2:18 pm

Wlad will put butts in the seats. Hopefully Povetkin doesn't freeze up. If you go out there and Wlad takes you out, fine. Just don't lay back and be scared to even try!!!!! Of course that is easy for me to say as I'm not the one getting hit with a jack hammer right hand if I go forward.
Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: IBF Purse Bid Today for Wlad vs Povetkin   IBF Purse Bid Today for Wlad vs Povetkin EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 3:01 pm

Greenburg the idiot apparently wont put this on HBO. Hopefully Wlad goes to Showtime.
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

PostSubject: Re: IBF Purse Bid Today for Wlad vs Povetkin   IBF Purse Bid Today for Wlad vs Povetkin EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 3:36 pm

i agree..the hell with hbo then on his fights.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: IBF Purse Bid Today for Wlad vs Povetkin   IBF Purse Bid Today for Wlad vs Povetkin EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 3:37 pm

Is Ross Greenburg married to HBO's bosses daughter or something ? because he's been doing a poor job at picking fights for awhile.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: IBF Purse Bid Today for Wlad vs Povetkin   IBF Purse Bid Today for Wlad vs Povetkin EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 10:34 pm

HBO will show Arreola. The Mexican Jabba the Hut. But not the HW champ of the world.

I can understand if the opponent isn't top notch. But if Wlad is fighting a legit top 10 guy then why not show it???

Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: IBF Purse Bid Today for Wlad vs Povetkin   IBF Purse Bid Today for Wlad vs Povetkin EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 10:42 pm

legit #2 or 3 contender vs the legit heavyweight champ. not good enough for Greenburg.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: IBF Purse Bid Today for Wlad vs Povetkin   IBF Purse Bid Today for Wlad vs Povetkin EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 10:52 pm

The HW division is not good right now. Wlad and Vitali are head and shoulders above everyone else. I understand HBO a little bit because neither produce scintillating fights. But that isn't the Klits fault entirely.

typical Wlad opponent before the fight: "I'm going to take the fight to him."

What Wlad's opponent thinks in round 1 after 3-4 jabs have landed: "wow that jab stings."
What Wlad's opponent thinks in round 2: "holy shit that thing feels worse than most right hands I've taken in my career. I'm staying away."
What Wlad's opponent thinks in round 3 after Wlad throws 1 right hand: "okay the right hand feels like I just got hit with sledgehammer. I'll just let him jab me until I've taken enough that I can quit."

The sad part is I may be right.

Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: IBF Purse Bid Today for Wlad vs Povetkin   IBF Purse Bid Today for Wlad vs Povetkin EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 10:57 pm

David Haye's thoughts when watching a Wlad fight:
"That jab probably puts me on my ass if he ever hits me. That right hand definitely will as I know I have no chin. Okay, its settled, the British press is dumb. I can run from this guy forever as long as I keep telling them it is all his fault!!! (haye smiles as he knows the British press buy his bullshit without serious thought as to the actual facts).
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: IBF Purse Bid Today for Wlad vs Povetkin   IBF Purse Bid Today for Wlad vs Povetkin EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 11:58 am

HBO wants ratings, Arreola vs Vitali still drew a nice # but not any Wlad fights

If its on Sept 18th, I doubt Showtime picks it up bc of they have plans for JuanMa vs Marquez planned

GBP is running that POS PPV w/Mora-Mosley

Maybe ESPN or Top Rank Live come through
Back to top Go down
Ring
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: IBF Purse Bid Today for Wlad vs Povetkin   IBF Purse Bid Today for Wlad vs Povetkin EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 10:48 am

WTF is Teddy Atlas going to do with Povetkin that's actually going to help him defeat Wlad? Atlas is a fucking clown who's "skills" as a "trainer" are almost nonexistent.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: IBF Purse Bid Today for Wlad vs Povetkin   IBF Purse Bid Today for Wlad vs Povetkin EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 11:12 am

Teddy will give Povetkin the business during the fight. I seriously doubt that will help much.

At this point the only guy with the speed to beat the version of Wlad we have seen for 3-4 years is Haye. Haye doesn't have the chin or the aggressiveness to do so.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: IBF Purse Bid Today for Wlad vs Povetkin   IBF Purse Bid Today for Wlad vs Povetkin EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 11:22 am

Alexander Povetkin with Teddy Atlas in his corner is alot better than the one who defeated Eddie Chambers back in 2008, at least the kid will give Wladimir a challenge.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: IBF Purse Bid Today for Wlad vs Povetkin   IBF Purse Bid Today for Wlad vs Povetkin Empty

Back to top Go down

IBF Purse Bid Today for Wlad vs Povetkin
Page 1 of 1