Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Can Floyd Mayweather beat Sergio Martinez?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Can Floyd Mayweather beat Sergio Martinez? Empty
PostSubject: Can Floyd Mayweather beat Sergio Martinez?   Can Floyd Mayweather beat Sergio Martinez? EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 4:52 pm

If so, how? The longer MW fights, the slower he's going to get. Just Newton's law for fighters in general. The first thing to go on any fighter is speed. A speedster operating at 70 percent can be deceiving when taking on a one dimsional slugger. However, when met with a fellow lightening rod, it's painfully obvious that the figther in question may've slowed up. So I ask the board, can Mayweather beat Martinez? If so, how? I mention this because I don't think he's interested in fighting Pacquiao. And yes.. I hope I'm 100 percent wrong.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can Floyd Mayweather beat Sergio Martinez?   Can Floyd Mayweather beat Sergio Martinez? EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 5:36 pm

Hell no Floyd can not beat SM.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ricky Burns

PostSubject: Re: Can Floyd Mayweather beat Sergio Martinez?   Can Floyd Mayweather beat Sergio Martinez? EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 5:59 pm

I think Sergio Martinez would beat Floyd. For Floyd it probably would be a bridge too far.
3 reasons: size, southpaw, and speed
1-Size-Martinez isn't that tall. He isn't a large middle like Pavlik. But he has fought his entire career at 154 while Floyd hasn't even gotten there. The size difference would be noticeable.
2-Southpaw-FLoyd really has looked worse against southpaws. Chop Chop and Zab both gave Floyd some trouble.
3-Speed-Martinez's hands are very fast. He can probably match (or come close) Floyd's handspeed. More importantly, Martinez has better legs. Floyd's legs really aren't what they were 3-4 years ago. Martinez has much better legs at age 35 than Floyd does at this point.

Martinez would use the jab, movement, and when landing straight lefts Floyd would have some trouble with the natural power the larger man (Martinez) has.

Of course, Floyd might have a virtuoso performance in him. I'd like to see him try. Forget the 0, just try to be great Floyd!!!! (from a former fan who got sick of all of his garbage and handpicked opponents).
Back to top Go down
hardcoreBEE24
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Thomas Hearns

PostSubject: Re: Can Floyd Mayweather beat Sergio Martinez?   Can Floyd Mayweather beat Sergio Martinez? EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 6:25 pm

Yes, absolutely he can and Sergio canbeat Floyd. Martinez lost to Margarito and Williams. I bring up Margarito because people like bringing up Floyd fights from ten years ago also. Martinez has never been in the ring with anyone who comes close to possessing the skill Floyd possesses and Floyd has never been in there with anyone this awkward, fast and big. I think if they were to fight Floyd would win a close decision. Martinez doesn't have great power and leaves his hands low. I think that Floyd can endure what Martinez gives while out pot shotting Martinez to a close victory.
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

PostSubject: Re: Can Floyd Mayweather beat Sergio Martinez?   Can Floyd Mayweather beat Sergio Martinez? EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 9:21 pm

first please there is no size differnce.fight time maybe 3-4 lbs seperates them..myself im tired of the saying size when for 90 years middles and welters fought each other and there was no mickey mouse 154 division..floyd can win the fight of course but SM chances of winning is much greater.ring movement intelligence hand speed SM matches or exceeds floyd.southpaw adds to the problems of course..martinez is at the end of his career..a few big fights left and he deserves a few excellent paydays....im disappointed williams folks did not make this fight happen...i for one do not want to see this fight.id prefer williams but he was ill advise to go back to 147 where noo one wants to fight him..maybe berto will thats it.its a shame noo one wants to fight for the middle title i guess..what about FS...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can Floyd Mayweather beat Sergio Martinez?   Can Floyd Mayweather beat Sergio Martinez? Empty

Back to top Go down

Can Floyd Mayweather beat Sergio Martinez?
Page 1 of 1