Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Super Six make picks for Allan Green vs Andre Ward

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Super Six make picks for Allan Green vs Andre Ward Empty
PostSubject: Super Six make picks for Allan Green vs Andre Ward   Super Six make picks for Allan Green vs Andre Ward EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 8:49 pm

In the last of the Group Stage 2 matches this Saturday, June 19, on SHOWTIME (10 p.m. ET/PT, delayed on the West Coast), undefeated Andre Ward (21-0, 13 KOs) will defend his World Boxing Association (WBA) title against world-ranked Allan Green (29-1, 20 KOs) in Ward’s hometown of Oakland, Calif. If Ward is victorious, he cinches a berth in the semi-finals and goes to the top of the leader board with four or, potentially, five points. But if Green prevails the Super Six World Boxing Classic becomes a six-man, three-fight shootout with countless possible scenarios heading into Group Stage 3 action. So can Green, a replacement for Jermain Taylor who is making his tournament debut, make an immediate impact and become the third boxer in six fights to dethrone a defending champion?

Three of the other four participants in the Super Six World Boxing Classic don’t think so. Only Carl Froch of England gives the newcomer the edge. “It’s too close to call, and in a close one, I always lean towards the puncher and Green is a big puncher and Ward isn’t,’’ said Froch (26-1, 20 KOs). “The Americans are so pro Ward and Dirrell that I’d like Green to win. I think it would spice things up if he knocked Ward out.”

Mikkel Kessler (43-2, 32 KOs) is picking Ward, but pulling for Green. “I think this will be a great fight. Every Super Six fight promises exciting action and their meeting will be no different,” Kessler said. “Having been in the ring with Ward, I know it will be very difficult for Green. I think Ward will be able to outsmart Green. My prediction is a points’ victory for him. However, I really hope Green wins. That would give me a great chance to win back my WBA belt. I really look forward to the fight.”

Andre Dirrell (19-1, 13 KOs) respects Green, but feels Ward has more overall skills. “Green is a dangerous fighter,” Dirrell declared, “but I’m eager to see what he brings to the tournament. Overall, I feel Ward is a smarter fighter and a better boxer who possesses more ring generalship. Ward is a faster puncher. He can wear down Green and possibly take him out.”

Arthur Abraham (31-1, 25 KOs) predicts a win for Ward in a tight fight. “I think Ward will win,” Abraham said. “He looked very impressive against Mikkel Kessler. He is not the Olympic champion for nothing. He is experienced, technically very strong and tactically very good. I am really looking forward to this fight. Green will pose a threat, though. He is very strong and a powerful puncher. It will be a very interesting fight.”

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/super-six-picks-49860
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

PostSubject: Re: Super Six make picks for Allan Green vs Andre Ward   Super Six make picks for Allan Green vs Andre Ward EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 9:42 pm

i like the honesty of these fighters thoughts.
Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Super Six make picks for Allan Green vs Andre Ward   Super Six make picks for Allan Green vs Andre Ward EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 9:45 pm

I think Kessler wins the tournament.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Super Six make picks for Allan Green vs Andre Ward   Super Six make picks for Allan Green vs Andre Ward EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 9:47 pm

Canvas wrote:
I think Kessler wins the tournament.

Really ? I don't see Kessler beating any of the Americans.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ricky Burns

PostSubject: Re: Super Six make picks for Allan Green vs Andre Ward   Super Six make picks for Allan Green vs Andre Ward EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 9:50 pm

The only big problem I have with the tournament is the hometown fights. It is a necessity as you want to draw crowds, but it is rather difficult to win on the road.

Otherwise, this tournament is the type of thing boxing needs. The best 6 guys fighting each other.

147 pounds has been a very good division for years. Why? 1-talented fighters like Mayweather, Mosley, Pac, Cotto, Margarito, etc..... 2-They fought each other. Alot of the top 10 guys have faced 3-5 other top 10 guys. You don't see that in alot of divisions.

Boxing is at its best when divisions like 147 see the best fighting the best, and when tournaments like this with 6 of the top 8 or so fighters at 168 are involved.
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

PostSubject: Re: Super Six make picks for Allan Green vs Andre Ward   Super Six make picks for Allan Green vs Andre Ward EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 10:25 pm

i agree the tourney indeed is a plus..unfortunetly golden boy turned down dibellas thoughts of doing the same thing at 140....in the days of yesteryear and not too long ago they not only all fought each other several times each the middles welters lightweights were 20 deep in talent..there was no need for tourneys.fighters fought often..today if you eliminate all the phoney divisions like 105 108 115 122 130 154 several divisions like 135 126 and 147 112 could be at least 15 deep..
what the hell can be done to get these guys to fight 5 times a year at least 5..5 is no big hurdle and let 3 of thoses fights be against other top fighters..noo excuses please..i always maintain fighters fight not talk..
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Super Six make picks for Allan Green vs Andre Ward   Super Six make picks for Allan Green vs Andre Ward EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 10:59 pm

There are so many people to blame for the state of boxing today. Promoters, television networks, fighters, and the fans.

Promoters want to make money, so they want their fighters to be matched very carefully. Protect your cash cows at all costs. The fighters want to be the best but it is also the way they feed their families, so money is a big part of things. The networks want ratings, so it is about name opponents. HBO for one doesn't care if a fighter is facing a prime opponent. All they care about is having an opponent who has a name.

Where do the fans come in? Many fans aren't educated about the sweet science.

We've seen the kind of fans that show up on most message boards. A fighter loses 1 fight and you have a thousand idiots screaming exposed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A loss shouldn't be the end of the world. So many fans buy into Mayweather myth that losing is horrible. Losing is a part of things.

Also-how many fight fans are going crazy on the message boards trashing fighters. A fighter who is ranked in the top 10 in a weight division (that isn't one of the crappy divisions), is pretty darn good. So what if a fighter is ranked 7th (legitimately) in a division, but probably can't beat the elite 2 or 3 guys in that division. If a fighter isn't great, doesn't mean he is a bum (which is what so many message board monsters believe).

So while we scream about Golden Boy (who deserves alot of blame for things like saying they aren't interested in a tourney at 140), they aren't the only ones to blame.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Super Six make picks for Allan Green vs Andre Ward   Super Six make picks for Allan Green vs Andre Ward EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 11:01 pm

I didn't include the commissions, as I don't like my blood pressure to go through the roof at 11 pm.
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

PostSubject: Re: Super Six make picks for Allan Green vs Andre Ward   Super Six make picks for Allan Green vs Andre Ward EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 11:32 pm

captain im in complete total agreement indeed..commisions all nonsence phoney ones are indeed a major problem in all this..i agree also about that legit 7th ranked fighter and the morons on message boards that know shit about this great sport..tv and there BS dictates and promoters and yes fighters who are extra cautious also..there is noo shame in a loss..there is shame for not fighting.theres plenty of money to be made..indeed there is..there not interested in feeding there family or they would not end up broke like tyson hollifield bowe hearns etc etc etc..few fighters have the vison of larry holmes who has a great income from investing in tax free municipal bonds..
sorry they have turned into spoiled punks a lot of them that do not value a dollar.they forget the poverty they came from..yes fighters are to blame also..its a total tragety the whole mess..i refuse to buy the money excuse..i want 5 mil or i dont fight..soo once a year i get my 5 mil where 5 times a year i can get 3 or 3.5..yeah stay at home and twiddle your thumbs and make zero..right bo hop and winky..promoters fighters hbo etc etc all bath in the lotion of self importance.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Super Six make picks for Allan Green vs Andre Ward   Super Six make picks for Allan Green vs Andre Ward Empty

Back to top Go down

Super Six make picks for Allan Green vs Andre Ward
Page 1 of 1