Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Joe Calzaghe turns down Bernard Hopkins rematch

Go down 
+5
marbleheadmaui
4445Frank
freddie1437
gomez1012
Deezy0814
9 posters
AuthorMessage

Joe Calzaghe turns down Bernard Hopkins rematch Empty
PostSubject: Joe Calzaghe turns down Bernard Hopkins rematch   Joe Calzaghe turns down Bernard Hopkins rematch EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 2:40 pm

Retired superstar Joe Calzaghe has turned down an offer for a possible ring return in a rematch with Bernard Hopkins. Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer had approached Calzaghe about a possible Hopkins fight. The Welsh star told Schaefer he would consider the offer. After thinking about it, he ruled out a comeback. Calzaghe retired in early 2009.

He thought hard about a possible comeback and even returned to the gym to begin getting himself back into fighting shape. After a few days in the gym, he realized the hunger to fight again was simply not there.

"There's no truth that I'm coming back," said Calzaghe to Sky Sports. "A lot of boxers come back from retirement but when I retired from boxing, I said I intended to retire and nothing has changed from that. A lot of boxing fans would want to see me come back but at 38, after 27 years in the sport, being a world champ for 11 years, my time is up. I have no desire to fight, to be honest.

"Richard and I spoke about it a few months ago when I was in LA with my girlfriend. I said: 'possibly' and I went away to have some some time to think about it, whether I wanted to do it, who the potential opponents could be. But I went to the gym a couple of times and I realised that I didn't want to. There's always the chance that some big money will be on offer but you shouldn't fight for the money. That would be the wrong reason to go back into it.

"We all need the money but I look at my health, my family and my kids, I look in the mirror and think 'no, I can't do it.' I have come out of my career relatively unmarked and I have ended undefeated world champion, so it's a blessing that I can end my career like that really and I don't want to push it and get greedy and fall back into that temptation that you would always regret for the rest of your life."

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=28278
Back to top Go down
Deezy0814
Green Belt
Green Belt
Deezy0814

Favorite Fighter(s) : Rampage Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Joe Calzaghe turns down Bernard Hopkins rematch   Joe Calzaghe turns down Bernard Hopkins rematch EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 2:47 pm

i would not be interested in this rematch any way IMO the first one was boring and like i've said before had Hop done more than what he did he could have won.
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Joe Calzaghe turns down Bernard Hopkins rematch   Joe Calzaghe turns down Bernard Hopkins rematch EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 2:49 pm

cheers

Bernard's hunt for an easy payday continues...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Joe Calzaghe turns down Bernard Hopkins rematch   Joe Calzaghe turns down Bernard Hopkins rematch EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 2:50 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
cheers

Bernard's hunt for an easy payday continues...

Very Happy Maybe he'll finally travel to Europe for Danny Green.

Thank god Joe turned it down.
Back to top Go down
freddie1437
White Belt
White Belt
freddie1437

Favorite Fighter(s) : Miguel Cotto, JMM, Andre Ward, Sergio Martinez

PostSubject: Re: Joe Calzaghe turns down Bernard Hopkins rematch   Joe Calzaghe turns down Bernard Hopkins rematch EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 2:51 pm

Good for Calzaghe, he should enjoy his retirement, if the desire is gone, don't do it for the money, that's how people get injured in this sport. Not really interested in seeing a rematch with Hopkins anyway, now if he came back to fight Bad Chad, I would be really interested!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Joe Calzaghe turns down Bernard Hopkins rematch   Joe Calzaghe turns down Bernard Hopkins rematch EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Chad Dawson or retirement !
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Joe Calzaghe turns down Bernard Hopkins rematch   Joe Calzaghe turns down Bernard Hopkins rematch EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 3:00 pm

Ali_1748 wrote:

Pretty much

What about Williams? That wouldnt surprise me, remember talk of it last year
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Joe Calzaghe turns down Bernard Hopkins rematch   Joe Calzaghe turns down Bernard Hopkins rematch EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 3:03 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:

Pretty much

What about Williams? That wouldnt surprise me, remember talk of it last year

Nah, Dan Goosen made it clear to Gary Shaw( when he contacted about a Sergei D fight) that they're going to chase a Welterweight payday, in vain of course.
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Joe Calzaghe turns down Bernard Hopkins rematch   Joe Calzaghe turns down Bernard Hopkins rematch EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 3:22 pm

Ali_1748 wrote:
Nah, Dan Goosen made it clear to Gary Shaw( when he contacted about a Sergei D fight) that they're going to chase a Welterweight payday, in vain of course.

So stupid

What payday? Mosley, Clottey, Berto????

The $ moved to 154, Margarito rematch, Cotto-Foreman winner, Angulo, Cintron rematch

WTF GOOSSEN!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Joe Calzaghe turns down Bernard Hopkins rematch   Joe Calzaghe turns down Bernard Hopkins rematch EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 3:23 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:

So stupid

What payday? Mosley, Clottey, Berto????

The $ moved to 154, Margarito rematch, Cotto-Foreman winner, Angulo, Cintron rematch

WTF GOOSSEN!

I know, I know. Paul's wasting his youth chasing paydays and pretending every one is ducking him.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Joe Calzaghe turns down Bernard Hopkins rematch   Joe Calzaghe turns down Bernard Hopkins rematch EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 4:22 pm

I am not a fan of Joe but that was a very smart move.
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Joe Calzaghe turns down Bernard Hopkins rematch   Joe Calzaghe turns down Bernard Hopkins rematch EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 4:55 pm

freddie1437 wrote:
Good for Calzaghe, he should enjoy his retirement, if the desire is gone, don't do it for the money, that's how people get injured in this sport. Not really interested in seeing a rematch with Hopkins anyway, now if he came back to fight Bad Chad, I would be really interested!
Agreed. As far as Chad is concerned, Bernard wants no part of him.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

PostSubject: Re: Joe Calzaghe turns down Bernard Hopkins rematch   Joe Calzaghe turns down Bernard Hopkins rematch EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 5:22 pm

Good to see Calzaghe knows himself. I'm a bit surprised though.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Joe Calzaghe turns down Bernard Hopkins rematch   Joe Calzaghe turns down Bernard Hopkins rematch EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 7:02 pm

just wait till he needs a kilo
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ricky Burns

PostSubject: Re: Joe Calzaghe turns down Bernard Hopkins rematch   Joe Calzaghe turns down Bernard Hopkins rematch EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 8:07 pm

I have the inside scoop as to why he won't come back:

Cocaine-one hell of a drug!!!
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ricky Burns

PostSubject: Re: Joe Calzaghe turns down Bernard Hopkins rematch   Joe Calzaghe turns down Bernard Hopkins rematch EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 8:08 pm

in all seriousness it is good that he isn't coming back. When you retire as an athlete, stay retired. The number of comebacks that added to an athlete's legacy are few and far between.
Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Joe Calzaghe turns down Bernard Hopkins rematch   Joe Calzaghe turns down Bernard Hopkins rematch EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 9:29 pm

Good for Joe. Now he needs to get his act together and repair his reputation.
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

PostSubject: Re: Joe Calzaghe turns down Bernard Hopkins rematch   Joe Calzaghe turns down Bernard Hopkins rematch EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 7:52 am

calzaghe made the right choice..now stay with it for a few more years then retirement will be a reality that all promoters will recogonize.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Joe Calzaghe turns down Bernard Hopkins rematch   Joe Calzaghe turns down Bernard Hopkins rematch Empty

Back to top Go down

Joe Calzaghe turns down Bernard Hopkins rematch
Page 1 of 1