Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Happy Memorial Day

Go down 
+3
WinstonSmith
Ring
4445Frank
7 posters
AuthorMessage
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Happy Memorial Day Empty
PostSubject: Happy Memorial Day   Happy Memorial Day EmptyMon May 31, 2010 8:13 am

Here's to wishing everyone on the board a safe and fun Memorial Day. If you're going to a cookout, toast your first beer to me.
Back to top Go down
Ring
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Happy Memorial Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Happy Memorial Day   Happy Memorial Day EmptyMon May 31, 2010 10:51 am

4445Frank wrote:
Here's to wishing everyone on the board a safe and fun Memorial Day. If you're going to a cookout, toast your first beer to me.

And don't forgot to toast your brothers and sisters in arms who gave their all serving their country. I'll always remember one of my best friends who was killed in Vietnam back in 1968, and everytime I see his son, I tell him what a great guy his father was and that I think of him often, especially on memorial day.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
WinstonSmith
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
WinstonSmith

Favorite Fighter(s) : Marvin Hagler,Ben Henderson,Rich Franklin,Clay Guida

Happy Memorial Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Happy Memorial Day   Happy Memorial Day EmptyMon May 31, 2010 11:08 am

Ring wrote:
4445Frank wrote:

And don't forgot to toast your brothers and sisters in arms who gave their all serving their country. I'll always remember one of my best friends who was killed in Vietnam back in 1968, and everytime I see his son, I tell him what a great guy his father was and that I think of him often, especially on memorial day.

Cheers

Well said.
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Happy Memorial Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Happy Memorial Day   Happy Memorial Day EmptyMon May 31, 2010 12:18 pm

Ring wrote:
4445Frank wrote:

Cheers
Agreed. That goes without saying, Ring. That's who the holiday is for. Support the troops.
Back to top Go down
Ring
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Happy Memorial Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Happy Memorial Day   Happy Memorial Day EmptyMon May 31, 2010 12:22 pm

4445Frank wrote:
Ring wrote:
4445Frank wrote:

Cheers
Agreed. That goes without saying, Ring. That's who the holiday is for. Support the troops.

Right, protest wars all you want, it's your right, but always, support the troops.
Back to top Go down

Happy Memorial Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Happy Memorial Day   Happy Memorial Day EmptyMon May 31, 2010 12:45 pm

We have a similar day on November 11th I think, we usually wear red poppies.
Back to top Go down
Ring
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Happy Memorial Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Happy Memorial Day   Happy Memorial Day EmptyMon May 31, 2010 1:37 pm

Ali_1748 wrote:

The tradition of wearing red poppies on Memorial day in honor of those who died serving the nation during war was started in the U.S. by a woman named Moina Michael in 1915. The tradition spread to other countries, which is likely why you wear them in Scotland/UK on November 11th.

Moina Michael's Poem:

We cherish too, the Poppy red
That grows on fields where valor led,
It seems to signal to the skies
That blood of heroes never dies.

U.S. Service Veterans, et al, usually have a Memorial Day service honoring fallen Veterans at the VFW Post here in the East Texas town I live in, but in December of last year a tornado destroyed the VFW Post here, so this year we held the service elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Happy Memorial Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Happy Memorial Day   Happy Memorial Day EmptyMon May 31, 2010 3:30 pm

Ring wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:

The tradition of wearing red poppies on Memorial day in honor of those who died serving the nation during war was started in the U.S. by a woman named Moina Michael in 1915. The tradition spread to other countries, which is likely why you wear them in Scotland/UK on November 11th.

Moina Michael's Poem:

U.S. Service Veterans, et al, usually have a Memorial Day service honoring fallen Veterans at the VFW Post here in the East Texas town I live in, but in December of last year a tornado destroyed the VFW Post here, so this year we held the service elsewhere.
Thanks for the info Ring. I never knew that.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

Happy Memorial Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Happy Memorial Day   Happy Memorial Day EmptyMon May 31, 2010 3:46 pm

Staff Sgt. Chris Piper. Killed in Afghanistan.

RIP Chris, we think of you often.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Happy Memorial Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Happy Memorial Day   Happy Memorial Day EmptyMon May 31, 2010 3:48 pm

4445Frank wrote:
Ring wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:

Moina Michael's Poem:

Reminds me of one of the great poems to come out of that awful war. Written shortly before the author was KIA.

In Flanders Fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Happy Memorial Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Happy Memorial Day   Happy Memorial Day EmptyMon May 31, 2010 4:08 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
4445Frank wrote:
Ring wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:

Moina Michael's Poem:

Reminds me of one of the great poems to come out of that awful war. Written shortly before the author was KIA.

In Flanders fields.

In Flanders fields.

Well you sort of got it right.

The author was a Canadian doctor named John Alexander McCrae. He was a surgeon who was inspired to write the poem after seeing a friend killed during WW1. He died after the war from Pneumonia. It is a very famous poem in Canada. Remembrance day is a British Commonwealth tradition that is very revered in all Commonwealth countries such as Australia, Canada, etc. Sometimes referred to as "Poppy Day" It is celebrated on Nov. 11, which the US adopted as veterans day.

The poppy was a symbol of respect and remembrance throughout the Commonwealth before Moina Michael spread the tradition into the USA. Ring was partially correct when he said that she is the one who popularized the wearing of the poppy after being inspired by McCrae's poem and the sanctity the Commonwealth had for the poppy as a symbol..
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

Happy Memorial Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Happy Memorial Day   Happy Memorial Day EmptyMon May 31, 2010 4:17 pm

happy memorial day to all you guys, god bless the troops and the people who are fighting for just causes around the world
Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Happy Memorial Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Happy Memorial Day   Happy Memorial Day EmptyMon May 31, 2010 4:43 pm

Birdofthad wrote:
happy memorial day to all you guys, god bless the troops and the people who are fighting for just causes around the world

Thanks for putting it in to words perfectly Bird. All the best.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

Happy Memorial Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Happy Memorial Day   Happy Memorial Day EmptyMon May 31, 2010 5:06 pm

have a good one canvas
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Happy Memorial Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Happy Memorial Day   Happy Memorial Day EmptyMon May 31, 2010 11:21 pm

Canvas wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
4445Frank wrote:
Ring wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:

Moina Michael's Poem:

In Flanders fields.

In Flanders fields.

Well you sort of got it right.

The author was a Canadian doctor named John Alexander McCrae. He was a surgeon who was inspired to write the poem after seeing a friend killed during WW1. He died after the war from Pneumonia. It is a very famous poem in Canada. Remembrance day is a British Commonwealth tradition that is very revered in all Commonwealth countries such as Australia, Canada, etc. Sometimes referred to as "Poppy Day" It is celebrated on Nov. 11, which the US adopted as veterans day.

The poppy was a symbol of respect and remembrance throughout the Commonwealth before Moina Michael spread the tradition into the USA. Ring was partially correct when he said that she is the one who popularized the wearing of the poppy after being inspired by McCrae's poem and the sanctity the Commonwealth had for the poppy as a symbol..

Thanks as always for the corrections and infomation!
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

Happy Memorial Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Happy Memorial Day   Happy Memorial Day EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 9:19 am

Happy Memorial Day Memorial_babe_medium
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Happy Memorial Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Happy Memorial Day   Happy Memorial Day Empty

Back to top Go down

Happy Memorial Day
Page 1 of 1