Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Timothy Bradley is chasing paydays

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Timothy Bradley is chasing paydays Empty
PostSubject: Timothy Bradley is chasing paydays   Timothy Bradley is chasing paydays EmptySun May 30, 2010 6:11 am

WBO junior welterweight champion Timothy Bradley has no problem heading to England to fight WBA champion Amir Khan in his backyard. If the fight makes more financial sense in England, Bradley will fight him in England. Bradley won his title by going to England to beat hometown favorite Junior Witter.

Bradley appeared on BoxingScene.com's official audio program, "Leave It In The Ring Radio," and said Khan is the easiest fight among the best fighters at 140-pounds

"The toughest fight would be Devon [Alexander] no doubt. The second toughest fight would be Marcos Maidana, and the third would be Khan. That's how I rank it. But the most money is Khan. I would take Khan in a heartbeat. Alexander is a lefty, he's quick and has a great jab, [and] he's hungry. The thing with Khan is, he's still learning. He still has a lot to learn. I saw a lot of things he did wrong against Malignaggi,"
Bradley said.

"It really don't matter [where the Khan fight happens]. I would love to go to the UK and duke it out with him in the UK. I would love to fight him here in the States. I thought he had a great outing here in the States. He had a big fanbase there in New York. We could do it somewhere around there or somewhere on the West Coast, maybe in [Las] Vegas. Wherever they are paying the most money is where we're going."

When the subject of IBF/WBC champion Devon Alexander came up, Bradley said HBO offered him more money to fight Marcos Maidana, than to fight Alexander. He wants to fight Alexander but says the fight doesn't make financial sense right now. Bradley moves up to welterweight on July 17 to fight unbeaten Luis Carlos Abregu. He hopes an impressive win will place his name in the hat to become a potential future opponent for Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr.

"HBO offered me more money for Maidana. I'm fighting for money. I'm not fighting for pride anymore because I pretty much know what I can do. I'm not running scared. I would love Devon Alexander, but the money is with the other guys. I'm chasing the money fights. Manny and Floyd, these are the fights that I'm chasing. I got mouths to feed," Bradley said.

"As far as Devon Alexander. The time will come. I think he's just a little upset because I'm making more money than him. He's been fighting on HBO and I've been fighting on Showtime and I'm making more money than him. I think his manager is a little bit butthurt, he's screaming for a fight with me. He don't run my career. I got my manager and I got my promoters and we know what we're doing. Right now it's not lucrative enough. I made more money than he made in his last two fights, in one of my fights
."

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=28190
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Timothy Bradley is chasing paydays   Timothy Bradley is chasing paydays EmptySun May 30, 2010 6:11 am

Nobody in boxing seems to be willing to roll up their sleeves anymore Sad
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ricky Burns

PostSubject: Re: Timothy Bradley is chasing paydays   Timothy Bradley is chasing paydays EmptySun May 30, 2010 8:03 am

I understand wanting to get paid, but I don't get what alot of guys do today. Why do they go into "I only want huge payday mode" when they are 26 years old. Until you hit 30, you should fight often, stay active and improve your skills, and build a fanbase. The big paydays will come.

Bradley's last 5 opponents(oldest to most recent):
Witter
Cherry
Holt
Campbell
Peterson

That is a good list. Beat Witter for his belt. The easy defense against Cherry who is a FNF level fighter. Beats Holt and takes his belt. Was beating up former 135 pound beltholder Campbell. And then beats up and comer Peterson.

Didn't he make decent money in those fights??? They were all on Showtime I believe (I know the last 4 were for sure).

Now he is to the level in his mind where he is not going to fight unless it is a huge payday. He's fighting Abregu because he wants to get his name out there for Floyd.

I understand it is a business but he could make money fighting defenses on Showtime. Big fights with Maidana, Alexander, and Khan, are on the horizon.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Timothy Bradley is chasing paydays   Timothy Bradley is chasing paydays EmptySun May 30, 2010 8:11 am

captainanddew wrote:
I understand wanting to get paid, but I don't get what alot of guys do today. Why do they go into "I only want huge payday mode" when they are 26 years old. Until you hit 30, you should fight often, stay active and improve your skills, and build a fanbase. The big paydays will come.

Bradley's last 5 opponents(oldest to most recent):
Witter
Cherry
Holt
Campbell
Peterson

That is a good list. Beat Witter for his belt. The easy defense against Cherry who is a FNF level fighter. Beats Holt and takes his belt. Was beating up former 135 pound beltholder Campbell. And then beats up and comer Peterson.

Didn't he make decent money in those fights??? They were all on Showtime I believe (I know the last 4 were for sure).

Now he is to the level in his mind where he is not going to fight unless it is a huge payday. He's fighting Abregu because he wants to get his name out there for Floyd.

I understand it is a business but he could make money fighting defenses on Showtime. Big fights with Maidana, Alexander, and Khan, are on the horizon.

+1 I think alot of it boils down to the mentality of todays society. Nobody has any patience or ambition, they all just want to get rich and famous.

It's a real shame, Timmy started off so positively, but now it's like Floyd Mayweather has brainwashed him.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Timothy Bradley is chasing paydays   Timothy Bradley is chasing paydays EmptySun May 30, 2010 8:17 am

He was very humble (it seemed) and grateful for success when he first became known to me. Now, he is becoming like every other full of shit boxer out there. It is only about the money. Lots of running his mouth to the boxing press.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Timothy Bradley is chasing paydays   Timothy Bradley is chasing paydays EmptySun May 30, 2010 8:19 am

Godbless Glen Johnson, I wish more boxers would act like him.
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

PostSubject: Re: Timothy Bradley is chasing paydays   Timothy Bradley is chasing paydays EmptySun May 30, 2010 8:31 am

EVERY POST ON HERE IS 100 PERCENT ACCURATE...FIGHT THOSES 3 GUYS BRADLEY IN YOUR WEIGHT CLASS THAT DESERVE THE FIGHT..YOU WILL MAKE AS MUCH WITH THOSES THAN A FIGHT WITH FLOYD OR PAC THAT YOU ABSOLUTELY DO NOT DESERVE..YOU TALK OF HAHN OR OTHERS NOT PROVING YOURSELF WELL YOU HAVENT EITHER..sorry for the caps i wont retype cause its takes me a long time one finger at a time...most fighters today and there statements proved one thing to me..they cant shine the fighters of the past shoes because they proved there not interested in fighting..
i dont want to hear the crap that they dont have to because of theres big money today that you dont need to fight..lol.realy.if robinson or greb or pep or armstrong were told that anyone of these 5 fights will pay you 10 million dollars they would say..line them all up..over the next 5 months and get me another 5 fights that mearly pay 2 million or so...its there makeup..yep and there mentality...its a disgrace today..sorry.
Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Timothy Bradley is chasing paydays   Timothy Bradley is chasing paydays EmptySun May 30, 2010 3:21 pm

I would love to see Bradley vs Khan next preferably in England. I think that's the fight to make for Bradley. I doubt Khan will want it.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Timothy Bradley is chasing paydays   Timothy Bradley is chasing paydays EmptySun May 30, 2010 4:19 pm

I dont blame him this is the mans life, hes in a violent sport with a short shelf life, hes just being smart, and it isnt like he fought nobodies at 140
Back to top Go down
NJBeatdown86
Blue Belt
Blue Belt
NJBeatdown86

Favorite Fighter(s) : Highlander, Ricardo Romero,Roman Gonzalez, Pongsaklek Wonjongkam, Marco Huck, JMM, Frankie Edgar, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Timothy Bradley is chasing paydays   Timothy Bradley is chasing paydays EmptySun May 30, 2010 6:39 pm

I'd like to see him fight Alexander above all else, but if he fights Khan or Maidana, I'm not going to complain. But he can forget about Pac and Floyd. Only chance he gets them is if he becomes a dominate force at 140 and those two are still hanging around a few years from now with declining skills (more likely Floyd, as Manny will be off with his political career).

I'm suprised he's so enthusiastic to go back to the UK. He shit all over the brits in an interview with The Ring, was not happy about the way he was treated during the Witter fight.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Timothy Bradley is chasing paydays   Timothy Bradley is chasing paydays EmptyMon May 31, 2010 4:49 am

Birdofthad wrote:
I dont blame him this is the mans life, hes in a violent sport with a short shelf life, hes just being smart, and it isnt like he fought nobodies at 140

I understand it but it's just ashame nobody cares about legacies anymore.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Timothy Bradley is chasing paydays   Timothy Bradley is chasing paydays EmptyMon May 31, 2010 5:02 am

agree Ali but I think the sport has done that to itself by creating 5 "champions" per division

letting guys like Manny say they were a 7 division world champion doesnt help, but just watch Bradley will move up and win the WBA Bronze Belt or something and then that will be his legacy, just like Roy Jones, is his legacy being a great Super Middle? nope, its beating John Ruiz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Timothy Bradley is chasing paydays   Timothy Bradley is chasing paydays EmptyMon May 31, 2010 5:09 am

I don't have a problem with who Bradley wants to fight, it's the "who will bring me the biggest payday" part that bugs me.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Timothy Bradley is chasing paydays   Timothy Bradley is chasing paydays EmptyMon May 31, 2010 5:15 am

i feel ya on that

hes still pretty young isnt he?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Timothy Bradley is chasing paydays   Timothy Bradley is chasing paydays EmptyMon May 31, 2010 5:27 am

Birdofthad wrote:
i feel ya on that

hes still pretty young isnt he?

Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Timothy Bradley is chasing paydays   Timothy Bradley is chasing paydays EmptyMon May 31, 2010 9:01 am

as I said earlier he is 26. He has fought 4 or 5 straight fights on Showtime. He has to have made decent money. It isn't as if he is going to have his career end any day now and needs to cash out. Sure, everyone would love to face a cash cow like Khan. That would give him the biggest purse of his career.

But if Khan's people don't want you to face him you have to go out and beat Maidana or Alexander first and create a public demand. A fight to determine who is the best at 140.

As for trying to get Pac or Floyd. That won't happen. Pac has 1 or 2 fights left (according to him and Roach). If that is true, then he isn't going to fight Bradley. Floyd isn't going to fight Bradley as well. There is alot bigger "names" out there for Floyd to make his mega fights.

What should occur at 140? Bradley, Khan, Alexander, and Maidana should fight in a tourney with the winner becoming the recognized ring champ at 140. If the fights are competitive in the first go round the losers could face off as well. The problem: getting these guys into the ring and fighting. Maidana is game. Bradley seems to only want Khan, Pac, or Floyd. Alexander is promoted by Don King if memory serves me (and has been rather inactive for a young belt holder).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Timothy Bradley is chasing paydays   Timothy Bradley is chasing paydays Empty

Back to top Go down

Timothy Bradley is chasing paydays
Page 1 of 1