Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ward getting preferential treatment ?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Ward getting preferential treatment ? Empty
PostSubject: Ward getting preferential treatment ?   Ward getting preferential treatment ? EmptySat May 22, 2010 12:20 pm

Someone made a comment during Rafael's chat that it's not right that Ward gets to fight in Oakland yet again in his next bout. I agree. Dan responded by saying the fights get made where they make the most money.

I call BS on that one. Kessler vs Ward would have made far more money in Denmark than it did in Oakland, yet Ward pushed for his backyard and Showtime ruled in his favour. As a matter of fact, any of the fights featuring one of the Euro boxers will likely gross more in their home country as they enjoy enormous fan support and none of the USA fighters are very big draws.

This, along with the fighters selected demonstrates a slight US bias IMO.

Last edited by Canvas on Sat May 22, 2010 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

PostSubject: Re: Ward getting preferential treatment ?   Ward getting preferential treatment ? EmptySat May 22, 2010 12:32 pm

good points on the money aspect for sure..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ward getting preferential treatment ?   Ward getting preferential treatment ? EmptySat May 22, 2010 1:24 pm

I don't think it's that Ward is getting preferential treatment, but that his team negotiated preferential treatment. They made it so that all of his 1st round fights would be in the US.

That's when it became about the $. Where in the US would the fight be the biggest draw? Cali has been the answer so far. For the Kessler fight it made absolute sense. For the Green fight it makes sense because Ward is the bigger attraction. We'll see about his next fight, but it's very possible it'll end up in Cali as well.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Ward getting preferential treatment ?   Ward getting preferential treatment ? EmptySat May 22, 2010 2:14 pm

To me I dont really think it matters where he fights he is very talented and I believe he can fight and win anywhere. If they say thats where the most money is to be made I guess I believe them.
Back to top Go down
NBrooks5
Orange Belt
Orange Belt
NBrooks5

Favorite Fighter(s) : Manny, JMM, Casamayor and Katsidis

PostSubject: Re: Ward getting preferential treatment ?   Ward getting preferential treatment ? EmptySat May 22, 2010 3:35 pm

Would Kessler have beaten Ward if they fought in Denmark?

They could have fought on the Moon and it wouldn't have mattered.

Fighting in Oakland is the best think for both Ward and Green's wallet.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ward getting preferential treatment ?   Ward getting preferential treatment ? EmptySat May 22, 2010 3:40 pm

He's definitely getting preferential treatment, everyone else has fought abroad at least once. It's ashame Showtime caved into Dan Goosen's demand.

If you're a great fighter, you'll perform no matter what country or state the fight is held in.
Back to top Go down
NBrooks5
Orange Belt
Orange Belt
NBrooks5

Favorite Fighter(s) : Manny, JMM, Casamayor and Katsidis

PostSubject: Re: Ward getting preferential treatment ?   Ward getting preferential treatment ? EmptySat May 22, 2010 3:51 pm

And it goes both ways.

Green is staying in the States.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ward getting preferential treatment ?   Ward getting preferential treatment ? EmptySat May 22, 2010 3:56 pm

Allan Green will probably be going to Germany or Denmark to face Mikkel Kessler, unless he beats Andre Ward.

Last edited by Ali_1748 on Sat May 22, 2010 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ward getting preferential treatment ?   Ward getting preferential treatment ? EmptySat May 22, 2010 4:01 pm

Ali_1748 wrote:
Allan Green will probably be going to Germany or Denmark to face Kessler, unless he beats Ward.
Green will KO everyone on their own turf. It will be great to watch.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ricky Burns

PostSubject: Re: Ward getting preferential treatment ?   Ward getting preferential treatment ? EmptySat May 22, 2010 5:55 pm

To fight all 3 first round fights in the US is a definite advantage.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ward getting preferential treatment ?   Ward getting preferential treatment ? EmptySat May 22, 2010 6:58 pm

captainanddew wrote:
To fight all 3 first round fights in the US is a definite advantage.
It will not matter after Green takes care of buisness.
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

PostSubject: Re: Ward getting preferential treatment ?   Ward getting preferential treatment ? EmptySat May 22, 2010 7:06 pm

lol sooner your a true green fan..and i dont blame you since you have seen him fight live 8 times and a oklahoma guy to book..you made me aware of him and after watching the you tube clips i said hes my kind of fighter..ive become a fan for sure..i still have reservations about some things about him and i hope he proves me wrong..the guy does know how to take care of business so to speak.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ward getting preferential treatment ?   Ward getting preferential treatment ? EmptySat May 22, 2010 7:15 pm

dmar5143 wrote:
lol sooner your a true green fan..and i dont blame you since you have seen him fight live 8 times and a oklahoma guy to book..you made me aware of him and after watching the you tube clips i said hes my kind of fighter..ive become a fan for sure..i still have reservations about some things about him and i hope he proves me wrong..the guy does know how to take care of business so to speak.
Hey who else is going to talk about this guy. Its funny I get bashed a lot for supporting him like I do.
Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Ward getting preferential treatment ?   Ward getting preferential treatment ? EmptySat May 22, 2010 8:52 pm

Ali_1748 wrote:
Allan Green will probably be going to Germany or Denmark to face Mikkel Kessler, unless he beats Andre Ward.

Jermain Taylor previously agreed to go to Denmark for the Kessler fight because there was way more money involved. Green will be bound to that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ward getting preferential treatment ?   Ward getting preferential treatment ? EmptySat May 22, 2010 9:02 pm

Canvas wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:

Jermain Taylor previously agreed to go to Denmark for the Kessler fight because there was way more money involved. Green will be bound to that.

That's right, Kalle and Lou agreed to a 50/50 split in one of the 360 episodes didn't they ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ward getting preferential treatment ?   Ward getting preferential treatment ? Empty

Back to top Go down

Ward getting preferential treatment ?
Page 1 of 1