Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Difference Between Racisim and Prejudice????

Go down 
+2
acccardinal12
Birdofthad
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

Difference Between Racisim and Prejudice???? Empty
PostSubject: Difference Between Racisim and Prejudice????   Difference Between Racisim and Prejudice???? EmptyThu May 20, 2010 9:21 pm

A teacher of mine once said racisim does not exist anymore

(I was thinking Uhh WTF)

but she made a good case she said, in america only 2 races have dealt with racisim, Native Americans and African Americans

everything else is prejudice

I dont think I agree but its a fair point

what yall think??
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: Difference Between Racisim and Prejudice????   Difference Between Racisim and Prejudice???? EmptyThu May 20, 2010 11:27 pm

Racism is when you think you are better than another race.
Prejudice is saying a black kid will steal ur bike without knowing his dad is Magic Johnson. Basically passing judgement about a certain race or people without knowing the truth.

Your teach was right for the most part.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Difference Between Racisim and Prejudice????   Difference Between Racisim and Prejudice???? EmptyThu May 20, 2010 11:32 pm

She is arguing semantics over specific, non widely held definitions of both terms to try and explain the specific differences in the treatment that those two groups have faced and the scale they have faced them vs. other groups.

It stems from the relationships and sizes of the communities of these people. All other groups are immigrant groups, while blacks and Native Americans have claim to this land as their "native" land. This is what lead to the wide-scale abuse to both communities from the white establishment.

Overall though, those terms are usually used to make white people feel bad about caring about white people.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Difference Between Racisim and Prejudice????   Difference Between Racisim and Prejudice???? EmptyFri May 21, 2010 12:21 am

Lets define the two terms

Racism - a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.

Prejudice - preconceived judgment or opinion (2) : an adverse opinion or leaning formed without just grounds or before sufficient knowledge b : an instance of such judgment or opinion c : an irrational attitude of hostility directed against an individual, a group, a race, or their supposed characteristics.

Prejudice and racism to a lesser extent will always exist, prejudice is something certian races are more likely to face on a day to day basis, but rascism while not as prevelent as it has been in the past, certianly still exists today. Take something as simple as the thought that African Americans are genetically predisposed to be less intelligent, that's racism.

Last edited by tolivendiewithLA on Fri May 21, 2010 1:32 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

PostSubject: Re: Difference Between Racisim and Prejudice????   Difference Between Racisim and Prejudice???? EmptyFri May 21, 2010 1:16 am

Birdofthad wrote:
A teacher of mine once said racisim does not exist anymore

(I was thinking Uhh WTF)

but she made a good case she said, in america only 2 races have dealt with racisim, Native Americans and African Americans

everything else is prejudice

I dont think I agree but its a fair point

what yall think??

I think your teacher is a moron. Unless those Irish Need Not Apply signs were a figment of my grandparent's imagination.

And Hebrews/Jews haven't exaclty been treated well.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: Difference Between Racisim and Prejudice????   Difference Between Racisim and Prejudice???? EmptyFri May 21, 2010 1:19 am

tolivendiewithLA wrote:
Lets define the two terms

Rascism - a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.

Prejudice - preconceived judgment or opinion (2) : an adverse opinion or leaning formed without just grounds or before sufficient knowledge b : an instance of such judgment or opinion c : an irrational attitude of hostility directed against an individual, a group, a race, or their supposed characteristics.

Prejudice and rascism to a lesser extent will always exist, prejudice is something certian races are more likely to face on a day to day basis, but rascism while not as prevelent as it has been in the past, certianly still exists today. Take something as simple as the thought that African Americans are genetically predisposed to be less intelligent, that's rascism.

Two things. I think your definition of racism is too complex. Racism is better defined as taking ethnicity into consideration in assessing another human being.

The notion that blacks are genetically predisposed to be less intelligent is racist in the sense that the question is being asked at all. If the science draws some sort of correlation, then the data is what the data is.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Difference Between Racisim and Prejudice????   Difference Between Racisim and Prejudice???? EmptyFri May 21, 2010 1:31 am

That's oversimplified, and can be mistaken for prejudice

And I said, thought that, even if scientific data finds some links african americans to be genetically less intelligent, other factors can come into play such as a lack of proper education. I was just simply giving a small example, I could list many others which exemplify racism in America today.

Also just noticed that I kept putting rascism, lol
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: Difference Between Racisim and Prejudice????   Difference Between Racisim and Prejudice???? EmptyFri May 21, 2010 1:42 am

tolivendiewithLA wrote:
That's oversimplified, and can be mistaken for prejudice

And I said, thought that, even if scientific data finds some links african americans to be genetically less intelligent, other factors can come into play such as a lack of proper education. I was just simply giving a small example, I could list many others which exemplify racism in America today.

Also just noticed that I kept putting rascism, lol

Such a finding would be NO DFIFFERENT from any other scientific correlation so determined.

The difference between racism and prejudice is the first is limited to ethnicity/color, the latter can apply to anyhting.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Difference Between Racisim and Prejudice????   Difference Between Racisim and Prejudice???? EmptyFri May 21, 2010 1:49 am

Yes but if polling african americans, certain groupings of said race could skew the results based on a lower level of education, if placed under the same educational benefits of some suburbanite white people for example, they may have different results.

The second part I never argued against.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: Difference Between Racisim and Prejudice????   Difference Between Racisim and Prejudice???? EmptyFri May 21, 2010 2:00 am

tolivendiewithLA wrote:
Yes but if polling african americans, certain groupings of said race could skew the results based on a lower level of education, if placed under the same educational benefits of some suburbanite white people for example, they may have different results.

The second part I never argued against.

True but if the population isn't controlled for those things it is a poor study. I mean it is pretty clear that the median IQ in the US for those of Asian decent is higher than for white is higher than for black. That is racist in that the question was ever asked that way. As for the results, they seem incontrovertible. But who the hell cares? We don't cherish IQ in our fellow citizens. We cherish courage and wisdom and honesty and creativity and tenacity and generosity and a million other things that have little or nothing to do with IQ.

Again, taking ethnicity/race into account AT ALL is racism. For example Affirmative Action is racism by definition.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Difference Between Racisim and Prejudice????   Difference Between Racisim and Prejudice???? EmptyFri May 21, 2010 2:13 am

Solid post, I was just giving a simple example how how it's ridiculous to believe racism no longer exist in America today, we could run off multiple examples which prove otherwise.

I would argue that taking ethnicity/race into a account at all is always racism though, that's where the line between racism and prejudice can be drawn.

I'd rather not continue this now though and just shoot the shit in the less serious topics

Last edited by tolivendiewithLA on Fri May 21, 2010 2:24 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: Difference Between Racisim and Prejudice????   Difference Between Racisim and Prejudice???? EmptyFri May 21, 2010 2:17 am

tolivendiewithLA wrote:
Solid post, I was just giving a simple example how how it's ridiculous to believe racism no longer exist in America today, we could run off multiple examples which prove otherwise.

I would argue that taking ethnicity/race into a account at all is always racism though, that's where the line between racism and prejudice can be drawn.

I'd rather not continue this now though and just shoot the shit in the less serious topics

LOL, wise call. These discussions are almost never a good idea. Thanks for your thoughts!
Back to top Go down
ohiovol62
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
ohiovol62

Favorite Fighter(s) : Sakuraba, Fedor, GSP, and Big Nog

PostSubject: Re: Difference Between Racisim and Prejudice????   Difference Between Racisim and Prejudice???? EmptyFri May 21, 2010 8:38 am

I'm not even going to go there.

This is a dangerious thread.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Difference Between Racisim and Prejudice????   Difference Between Racisim and Prejudice???? Empty

Back to top Go down

Difference Between Racisim and Prejudice????
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ninja's Place :: General Discussion :: Off-Topic-
Jump to: