Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Greatness of Frank Shamrock

Go down 
+2
SOKO
Birdofthad
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

The Greatness of Frank Shamrock Empty
PostSubject: The Greatness of Frank Shamrock   The Greatness of Frank Shamrock EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 2:47 am

Frank Shamrock was the younger adopted brother of Ken Shamrock, adopted by Bob Shamrock. He was a troubled youth with alot of agression and anger, at the urging of Bob Shamrock, Ken Shamrock got Frank into wrestling, boxing, and later MMA. Bob basically begged Ken to get Frank into MMA as a way to channel his anger. Frank was part of the Lions Den.

December of 1996 Frank Shamrock debuts against what some would argue was the greatest MMA fighter of all time.

At Pancrase - King of Pancrase Opening Round Frank faced Bas Rutten in his inagural MMA match. In a crazy and I mean crazy match that saw Frank spear Bas out of the ring, and Bas delivering palm strikes and Frank sticking his tongue out (a sig on here) Frank pulls a HUGE upset and gets a 10 minute decision victory over huge favorite Bas Rutten.

Later that night Frank is submitted by Manabu Yamada after 8 minutes. Frank is out of the tournament. Eitehr way Frank is 1- and a legend has started.

In 6 months in 1995 Frank fights in Pancrase 1-5 defeating Katsuomi Inagaki (submission 6 minutes), losing to Masakatsu Funaki via submission, submitting Minori Suzuki, and drawing Allan Goes. Frank is 3-2-1. He is scheduled to face Tataku Fuke for the vacant King of Pancrase Title.

At Pancrase Eyes of the Beast 5 Frank submits Fuke in 6 minutes and becomes the King of Pancrase. He has not even been in MMA for 1 year.

At Pancrase Neo Blood 1995 Frank faces Bas Rutten again and in a good fight that goes the full 15 minutes, Frank loses a 15 minute split decision. I think Frank did enough to win. Frank is know 4-3-1 and has basically fought a Pancrase great in every fight he has had.

Frank gets back on the winning track beating Takafumi Ito, Masakatsu Funaki, Vernon White, Minori Suzuki, Ryushi Yanisagawa, and OsAMI Shibuya all in a row. THAT IS 6 BIG TIME PANCRASE FIGHTERS ALL IN A ROW. Frank submits 4 and decisions 2. He is know 10-3-1 and is facing Bas Rutten in a rubber match.

At Pancrase Truth 5 Frank faces bas and is doing better than fine, in fact you know what, he is winning the fight, but then boom, big cut gets opened up and the fight is stopped after 11 minutes. Frank losses to Bas Rutten again via TKO, Frank is 10-4-1.

Frank gets back on the winning track at the Neo Blood 1996 tournament with a submission over Manabu Yamada after 12 minutes, but then Frank losses 3 fights in a row against Yuki Kondo, Kiuma Kionoke, and JOHN LOBER via split decision in his first fight outside Pancrase (at SuperBrawl). Frank is know 11-7-1.

Frank that wins the Ring Light Heavyweight Title with a 30 minute decision win over Tsuyoshi Kosaka, he then defeats Wes Gassaway and Enson Inoue at Vale Tudo in a CRAZY FUCKING FIGHT, Frank starts bashing Inoue and Inoue's brother rushes in the ring and hits Frank, Frank wins via DQ. Frank is 14-7-1.

It is 1997 and Frank is offered to fight at UFC Ultimate Japan (15.5) Frank is facing the most accomplished wrestler in UFC history and MMA history Kevin Jackson a decorated Olympian, for the Middleweight Title. The fight starts, Kevin Jackson comes out scores a double leg takedown, and boom he is tapping out, armbar. 16 seconds. Frank Shamrock is the first UFC Light Heavyweight Champion (at that time Middleweight).

At UFC 16 Frank is facing 10-0 Igor Zinoviev, who Frank was friends with and had watched UFC 15 with at a bar. Zinoviev was Extreme Fighting's Middleweight Champ. The fight starts, Zinoviev throws a 1-2 Frank ducks and picks up Zinoviev and dumps him on his head. Boom it is over. 22 seconds, Frank Shamrock retains his title and Zinoviev becomes the first man to leave the octagon on a stretcher. Igor has a fractured C-5 clavicle, shattered collar bone, and fractured vertabrete.

UFC 17 Frank is facing Jeremy Horn, in a very close fight that Horn is probably winning, Frank is cut and just after 16 minutes Horn scores a takedown, problem is his leg ends up in between Frank's, boom Frank has the leg and is hyperextending the knee, Horn taps. Frank wins via kneebar.

At UFC 17.5 (Ultimate Brazil) Frank is defending his title against John Lober, the man he had lost to a year earlier. Lober does well initially and is landing but one thing happens. Frank starts timing him, Lober throws a leg kick boom Frank lands a right hand, Lober throws another leg kick BOOM huge right hand Lober is down. Lober ended up tapping out from basically havinf Frank lean on him wit hhis weight after an onslaught of punches from top position against the cage. 7 minutes tap out , Frank retains his title.

Frank has gone 4-1 in 1997 (1 loss to Lober) and 3-0 in 1998.

1999 starts and Frank goes to Rings and fights Kiyoshi Tamaru, in a complete bullshit fight that sees Frank knock Kiyoshi around somehow after 20 minutes the fight is declared a draw. Frank goes back to UFC.

UFC 22 Frank is facing Tito Ortiz. Frank had already split from the Lions Den and formed the Alliance with Maurice Smith but UFC billed it as a Lions Den vs Tito fued since Ortiz had just beat Mezger and Bohlander. Tito controlled the first 2 rounds scoring takedowns, but Frank was busier from the bottom and avoiding Tito's ground and pound

In the 3rd round Tito cut Frank and puts his fingers in the cut to spread it (later outlawed), Frank gets up and opens up and Tito and steals all momentum. Later in teh 4th round Frank elbows Tito unconcious and in one of the best MMA fights ever KO's Tito and bitch smacks him a couple times for good measure, Frank retains his title. The UFC and Frank had already decided win or lose they couldnt afford Frank and they severed the contract. Frank never fought in the UFC again. Frank is 19-7-2 and 5-0 lifetime in the UFC and 5-0 in UFC title fights.

Frank fights in K-1 in 2000 against Elvis Sinosic and wins the K-1 title via Unanimous Decision in a 5 round 15 minute match, Have not seen this fight so cant comment.

Frank doesn't fight for 3 years and returns in 2003 at WEC 6 and fights Brian Pardoe, its still the same Frank and Pardoe taps in just over a minute.

3 years go by and in 2006 Frank comes back to fight the one and only Cesar Gracie. Ya alotta hype, lasts 21 seconds and ends with Frank landing about 5 Fuck you shots and walking around the cage saying "this is my house". Frank is 22-7-2 and has arguably been one of the best P4P fighters in the world from 1996 to 2006.

In 2007 Frank faces Renzo Gracie at StrikeForce and is in a close fight but he probably loses the first round. Then in the second round he gets Renzo on the ground and knee's Renzo in the head which is illegal in StrikeForce, he is DQ'd.

Later that year in a huge grudge match Frank domitaes Phil Baroni for the StrikeForce Middleweight Title in an entertaining fight with alot of shit talking. Frank at one point says and motions I am going to put you to sleep than drops Baroni with a 3 piece. Baroni taps, Frank is smiling and kicks Baroni of off himself. It is Franks last win in MMA. He is 23-8-2

Frank puts his title on the line against Cung Le and loses in an entertaining fight that a prime Frank would have ran away with. Frank breaks his arm and retires in 3, alot like Ken vs Tito IMO 1 (both were broken in 3). Frank then fights Nick Diaz on PPV for StrikeForce and though he has his moments, is for the most part beaten by the bigger man. Sad fight to watch.

Frank Shamrock is 23-10-2, he is if not the gretest MMA fighter of all time, one of the best, in 35 fights he fought good fighters 30 times. That is nuts.

From Rutten (3 times), Tito, Horn, Matsuka Funaki, Kondo, Suzuki, Jackson, Yamada, Baroni, Le, Elvis, Gracie's) the guy fought everybody

I realy truly believe Ken Shamrock was the best fighter in the world 1995 to 1996 and Frank Shamrock and was clearly best fighter in the world 1997, 1998, 1999, possibly 2000, and who knows if he had fought, THE MAN DIDNT LOSE A FIGHT FROM 1997 TO 2007 and it was by DQ, .

One of the best ever, plain and simple.

Some say he was the most technical fighter ever, some say he was the first true MMA fighter ever, I say he was the best P4P EVER
Back to top Go down
SOKO
Black Belt
Black Belt
SOKO

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Dragon, Kenflo, Hendo, Guida, Ace, Wand, Cain, Carwin, Foreman, Evander, Oscar

PostSubject: Re: The Greatness of Frank Shamrock   The Greatness of Frank Shamrock EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 8:13 am

I used to be a fan growing up and still respect the hell out of the guy. He is a legeng and from what I hear a great person to be around even though most wouldnt think. Same goes for his bro.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: The Greatness of Frank Shamrock   The Greatness of Frank Shamrock EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 2:56 pm

will be honest, of all the guys in the Lions Den Frank was without a doubt.......oh how do i put this, not the smartest one by far, personality was kind of lacking

but then again he was only a 22 year old kid at the time
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: The Greatness of Frank Shamrock   The Greatness of Frank Shamrock EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 7:12 pm

good highlight with Pancrase footage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvWQytQuS_U 3:19 is absolutely great, love it, Tito cant even get up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDnCUJwkcfE&feature=related great highlight here

and the clips of Frank heel hooking Dan Henderson was in a grapling tournament
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: The Greatness of Frank Shamrock   The Greatness of Frank Shamrock EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 7:18 pm

and ehres one featuring the clip where Frank takes Bas out of the ring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24wLpz64MKk
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: The Greatness of Frank Shamrock   The Greatness of Frank Shamrock EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 7:19 pm

+1

Excellent post
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: The Greatness of Frank Shamrock   The Greatness of Frank Shamrock EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 7:22 pm

thanks Kings glad you enjoyed it, his career truly is amazing, gotta say I love the avatar.

I wonder almost everyday what a prime Frank vs prime Anderson Silva would look like
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: The Greatness of Frank Shamrock   The Greatness of Frank Shamrock EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 7:40 pm

Frank Shamrock? Isn't that the can Cung Le faced who has no skill and proves Strikeforce fighters suck? Didn't he fight in the UFC before they had real fighters, rules or talent?
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: The Greatness of Frank Shamrock   The Greatness of Frank Shamrock EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 11:24 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Frank Shamrock? Isn't that the can Cung Le faced who has no skill and proves Strikeforce fighters suck? Didn't he fight in the UFC before they had real fighters, rules or talent?

hahaha thats my main fear in MMA, people that dont know the history see a fight and say that guy sucks

ala Ken Shamrock recently
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: The Greatness of Frank Shamrock   The Greatness of Frank Shamrock EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 1:04 am

Good work Bird, but I DIDN'T READ IT! I hate Frank and htink he is the biggest tool in the history of MMA. That is one guy I would be rooting for Ken to beat the crap out of. I do have to admit his antics would make me laugh during fights, but he always got his ass kicked right after words.
So who you gonna do next? I love this stuff man serious and I will read it for real. I just had to say how much I don't like Frank first is all, lol.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: The Greatness of Frank Shamrock   The Greatness of Frank Shamrock EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 2:22 am

haahah its ok, but the you need to read it cause for a decade Frank talked shit and whipped ass, isnt the most likeable guy but he was dominant alot like a Roy Jones Jr.

just did Marco Ruas not sure who is next yet
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: The Greatness of Frank Shamrock   The Greatness of Frank Shamrock EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 12:50 pm

Birdofthad wrote:
haahah its ok, but the you need to read it cause for a decade Frank talked shit and whipped ass, isnt the most likeable guy but he was dominant alot like a Roy Jones Jr.

just did Marco Ruas not sure who is next yet

You can do Kimo, but you will have to bring up crack a few times.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: The Greatness of Frank Shamrock   The Greatness of Frank Shamrock EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 1:20 pm

And the death scandal
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: The Greatness of Frank Shamrock   The Greatness of Frank Shamrock EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 3:38 pm

hahahahahaah whats the death scandal Ludo>>????
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: The Greatness of Frank Shamrock   The Greatness of Frank Shamrock EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 7:21 pm

LOL

Some website reported he died and the rumors circulated the entire internet until the point news outlets reported it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: The Greatness of Frank Shamrock   The Greatness of Frank Shamrock EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 8:21 pm

Yeah everyone was positive he was dead until his agent released a statement saying not only was Kimo alive and well, but still training in Hawaii
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: The Greatness of Frank Shamrock   The Greatness of Frank Shamrock EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 8:31 pm

my bad I misread and thought it said Kimbo
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Greatness of Frank Shamrock   The Greatness of Frank Shamrock Empty

Back to top Go down

The Greatness of Frank Shamrock
Page 1 of 1