Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

You Arent A Champion Unless You Defend Your Belt

Go down 
+3
franklinfan2
Andrew the Raider King
Birdofthad
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

You Arent A Champion Unless You Defend Your Belt Empty
PostSubject: You Arent A Champion Unless You Defend Your Belt   You Arent A Champion Unless You Defend Your Belt EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 1:52 am

Men that Never Defended THeir Belt

Randy Couture : Wins the Title against Maurice Smith and then goes Missing in action

Bas Rutten : Wins against Kevin Randleman and then never fights in the UFC again.

Josh Barnett : stripped for failing steroid test before defending

Frank Mir : Motorcycle accident, never defended

BJ Penn : stripped when he signed with K-1

Last edited by Birdofthad on Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: You Arent A Champion Unless You Defend Your Belt   You Arent A Champion Unless You Defend Your Belt EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 9:03 am

If you won the belt. If you have the right to wear the belt. Then you are the champion. If you defend your Championship against all comers? Then you have the chance to become Legend.
Back to top Go down
franklinfan2
Green Belt
Green Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Rich Franklin duh!

PostSubject: Re: You Arent A Champion Unless You Defend Your Belt   You Arent A Champion Unless You Defend Your Belt EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 10:00 am

Would Overeem be included in this group?
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: You Arent A Champion Unless You Defend Your Belt   You Arent A Champion Unless You Defend Your Belt EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 2:57 pm

good thought Franklin

The THread title is actually a quote from Jens Pulver and I liked it
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: You Arent A Champion Unless You Defend Your Belt   You Arent A Champion Unless You Defend Your Belt EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 7:37 pm

What about in team sports? Alot of teams win titles and dont defend lol. In MMA it is so hard to win a title that once u win it it is even harder to defend in my opion. I think once u win the belt u are a champ to me.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: You Arent A Champion Unless You Defend Your Belt   You Arent A Champion Unless You Defend Your Belt EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 11:25 pm

I agree, I was jsut drunk and watching a Pulver interview and he said it and it got me thinking
Back to top Go down
ohiovol62
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
ohiovol62

Favorite Fighter(s) : Sakuraba, Fedor, GSP, and Big Nog

PostSubject: Re: You Arent A Champion Unless You Defend Your Belt   You Arent A Champion Unless You Defend Your Belt EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 10:08 am

Well situations are different in every case. Of course Overoid is a douche but not everything is that black and white. While I can't stand Mur, he was severely hurt, and he was striped some time later. Ditto with Bas Rutten. I will defend BJ because he was making a bussiness decision, fighters have to do what they think is best for themself IMO.

In the case of Barnett and Randy, you're right. However I still refer to them as champions.
I'm a little less critical of Randy than I am of Barnett because I like him better.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: You Arent A Champion Unless You Defend Your Belt   You Arent A Champion Unless You Defend Your Belt EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 8:41 pm

lol Jens didn't coin that phrase.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: You Arent A Champion Unless You Defend Your Belt   You Arent A Champion Unless You Defend Your Belt EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 8:48 pm

Randy and BJ have defeneded belts after that you know
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: You Arent A Champion Unless You Defend Your Belt   You Arent A Champion Unless You Defend Your Belt EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 8:57 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
lol Jens didn't coin that phrase.

didnt say he coined, said I heard him say it and liked the sound of it and bam posted a thread
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: You Arent A Champion Unless You Defend Your Belt   You Arent A Champion Unless You Defend Your Belt EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 8:57 pm

tolivendiewithLA wrote:
Randy and BJ have defeneded belts after that you know

si good fellow I am aware of this
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: You Arent A Champion Unless You Defend Your Belt   You Arent A Champion Unless You Defend Your Belt EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 9:15 pm

Yo LA are you saying the UFC held events after 40? Don't tell bird that.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: You Arent A Champion Unless You Defend Your Belt   You Arent A Champion Unless You Defend Your Belt EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 9:56 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Yo LA are you saying the UFC held events after 40? Don't tell bird that.

come come, I got UFC 1 all the way to 61

then I have gaps in between

I just prefer the old days
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: You Arent A Champion Unless You Defend Your Belt   You Arent A Champion Unless You Defend Your Belt EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 10:26 pm

61 thats like three years ago isn't it?
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: You Arent A Champion Unless You Defend Your Belt   You Arent A Champion Unless You Defend Your Belt EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 10:26 pm

UFC held one event a year for 50 years until 3 years ago when they started holding like 30 a year.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: You Arent A Champion Unless You Defend Your Belt   You Arent A Champion Unless You Defend Your Belt EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 11:24 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
61 thats like three years ago isn't it?

Kens last time headlining a UFC PPV
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: You Arent A Champion Unless You Defend Your Belt   You Arent A Champion Unless You Defend Your Belt EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 11:29 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
UFC held one event a year for 50 years until 3 years ago when they started holding like 30 a year.

I asked my pops if he ever thought UFC would be having 3 PPVs in 11 month

its nuts how far it has come

people dont realize, every original UFC event went off with a SLEW of legal problems always about 70 hrs before the bout started and ending when the show started. There were so many legal battles back then.

It really was a marvel the shit went off

Gotta say, and Ken NEVER gets credit for this, I must be the only person in the world that has this on tape (my pos taped it) in 1996 Ken Shamrock was on Larry King Live sparring (verbally) John McCain. Ken did an excellent job representing MMA as a sport not human cock fighting, which was all that seemed to come out of Johns mouth. at one point Ken basically says you keep talking about morals (as in boxing had them MMA didnt) but you cheated on your sick hurt wife so why should you be the judge on morals. Cant remember exact words but that was the jist of it, John was pissed but didnt say much it was funny. I cannot find it on youtube so I need to figure out how to upload VHS to the internet
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: You Arent A Champion Unless You Defend Your Belt   You Arent A Champion Unless You Defend Your Belt Empty

Back to top Go down

You Arent A Champion Unless You Defend Your Belt
Page 1 of 1